Plymouth Argyle vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How's this one going to play out?

Plymouth Win
31%
Ipswich Win
38%
Draw
31%

Total votes: 16

Frosty
Forum Owner

Plymouth Argyle vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:14 pm

Image Plymouth Argyle v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 5th December 2020 – 15:00

Home Park

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Shooting Blanks.........

For the Third successive game Town failed to find the net as our run of poor form continued at Oxford United on Tuesday evening, ok so we managed to stop the rot to a degree by holding out for a point but the fact remains it was once again another insipid and totally uninspiring Ninety plus minutes for the Town players, in fact it wasn't until the Ninety First minute that we actually had an effort on target, quite how we expect to win any game with that sort of statistic is beyond me, and dare I say it many other bemused and fed up Tractor Boys & Girls. Pretty it ain't, attractive it ain't, entertaining it most certainly ain't but there is at least bucket loads of frustration, disappointment, anger and loss of interest all around.

Yes we can point to the Injury list, we've done it for years now but the tactics are no longer working, gone is the movement and attacking tempo that we had in the early games of this season, it is just anonymous now, instead we are subjected to this tippy tappy across the back nonsense that helps with the possession stat but achieves very little else, this was against an Oxford team that has struggled to keep clean sheets for god knows how long now and who have been pretty inept in front of goal, somehow we managed to help on both fronts as they looked by far the more likely to score. Our Midfield lacked any drive or creativity, with the exception of Andre Dozzell who it has to be said looked a cut above, but in truth he is wasted on the lot he is teamed up with, his brain thinks so much quicker and more often than not his incisive passes look poor because of it.

I like Aaron Drinan but I cannot for the life of me understand why Kayden Jackson and Oli Hawkins are left on the bench, at least One of those Two needed to be on the pitch too, you cannot keep leaving your best players on the bench. Luckily for us results went very much our way but as has been said on this very forum, we just seem incapable of taking advantage of it, there are no good teams in this League, that is a fact and yet we still contrive to make hard work of it.

The arguments over whether Paul Lambert should stay or go will rumble on all season now and I have to be honest it is boring me already, it is just something else to put me off even wanting to think about going back to a Ninety percent empty Portman Road, I am struggling to muster up any enthusiasm for it at all right now.

The Tractor rumbles on all the way down to Home Park to take on Plymouth Argyle in the next thrilling installment, I think a win is vital but I don't see where the goals are coming from, the injury situation shows no sign of abating yet either so we have to go with the same again. They find themselves in Fifteenth place having lost the last Three games to Rochdale, Peterborough and Fleetwood while conceding Ten goals in the process, even lowly Rochdale plundered Four goals at Home Park in Midweek so this could make us look even more abject should we fail to find the net. Sadly I can't see beyond a home win, I hope I am wrong, defeat will make things very frosty around these parts while a win may just do more harm than good in the long term. COYB'S

The Opposition – Plymouth Argyle

The club was founded in 1886 as Argyle Football Club, the first match taking place on 16 October 1886.

Much speculation surrounds the origin of the name Argyle. One explanation is that the club was named after the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, an army regiment with a strong football side of its own. Another theory is given by the local geography–suggesting the name comes either from the nearby public house, The Argyle Tavern, where the founder members may have met, or from a local street Argyle Terrace. The club adopted its current name when it became fully professional in 1903.

The club was disbanded 1894, before being resurrected in 1897 as one part of a general sports club, the Argyle Athletic Club. The club joined the Southern League, effectively the English 3rd tier, in 1903 becoming professional in the process. Argyle won the Southern League in 1912–13, then in 1920–21 entered the Football League Third Division as a founder member, along with most of the Southern League, where they finished 11th in their first season.

Between 1921–22 and 1926–27, Argyle finished second in the new Third Division South six seasons in a row, thereby missing promotion. Argyle eventually won promotion to Football League Division Two in 1929–30, when they topped the Third Division South, with attendances that season regularly reaching 20,000. Manager Bob Jack resigned in 1937, having spent a grand total of 27 years in charge of the Pilgrims.

Argyle's 20-year stay in Division Two came to an end in 1949–50 after finishing 21st – two points short of survival. They were back in Division Two before long, after winning the Third Division South in 1951–52.

The closest they ever came to playing in the Football League First Division (top tier) was in 1952–53, when they reached fourth place in the Football League Second Division, their highest finish to date. They were relegated again in 1955–56, just 3 points behind Notts County. The Pilgrim's reputation as a 'yo-yo club' continued after they won Division Three – by then a national league – in 1958–59. Argyle returned to Division Three after relegation in 1967–68.

After spending six years in Division Three, Argyle finally returned to Division Two in 1974–75, but they were back down again in 1976–77.

Since then, the team has wavered between the 2nd and 3rd tier, before being double relegated in 2010–11. That was directly due to the club having been declared insolvent, following which they were deducted the 10 points they needed for survival. The club returned to the 3rd tier after finishing second in 2016–17.

On 14 August 2018, it was announced that shareholder Simon Hallett had purchased part of James Brent's stake in the club, and had become the new majority shareholder and owner, and that former director, David Felwick, would return to the club as chairman when Brent stepped down on 31 October 2018. However, on 10 October 2018, it was reported that David Felwick was unable to take over as chairman, citing personal reasons, so on 1 November 2018, Hallett became both majority owner and chair of Plymouth Argyle.

On 5 June 2019, Ryan Lowe was announced as manager of Plymouth Argyle, guiding them to a third-place finish and an immediate return to League One in a season interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic in the United Kingdom.

The Manager – Ryan Lowe

Form Guide

Plymouth Argyle Last 5 Matches – Currently in 13th place with 19 points

3 Nov Plymouth 4 - 2 Swindon Town

16 Nov Plymouth 2 - 2 Portsmouth

21 Nov Fleetwood 5 - 1 Plymouth

24 Nov Peterborough 1 - 0 Plymouth

1 Dec Plymouth 0 - 4 Rochdale

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 5th place with 26 points

3 Nov Sunderland 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

21 Nov Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Shrewsbury

24 Nov Ipswich Town 0 - 3 Hull City

28 Nov Ipswich Town 0 - 2 Charlton

1 Dec Oxford Utd 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

Match Referee – Ollie Yates

PLYMOUTH ARGYLE 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Plymouth Argyle vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:31 pm

My goodness, I see fixtures like Argyle v Rochdale as so insignificant that I didn’t check result...... 4-0 Rochdale ?
There MUST be a way for Ipswich to score a couple at least on Saturday. That Argyle manager must be under pressure as well...... 5-1 Fleetwood and that Rochdale result?!
Come on ITFC, start the big revival this weekend, rub salt into those Plymouth wounds and show us the “green shoots” Mevans speaks off v the Green Pilgrims.
Insane I know but 2-0 Ipswich.

And hopefully, a revival can really begin. Completely understand a win being harmful long term, and Lambert seriously gets on my nerves, but last chance saloon this week before we all chip in and hire a banner aeroplane.

Ref caption:

Manager: “What the hell you on about? And why you standing so close?”
Ref (whispers) : “Ssh, I’m auditioning for Eastenders. The director is over there.” (Shouts) “It’s a Fkn penalty you shhhlaaaag, ok!”

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:50 pm

Concede a lot of goals don't they. Too bad we don't have the (quality of) forwards to exploit that particular weakness.

Voted for a tie, don't think it's as much to do with who has home advantage merely two inadequate teams lacking confidence and stuck in something of a rut. If something such as Rochdale can get a four goal win there without reply you should feel confident, but with this team, too many things wrong at the moment. Concentrate on the league is simply belligerent after a cup exit when you fail (thereafter) each and every time to register a victory.

Plymouth Argyle 1 Town 1

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:43 pm

Gone for a draw. If we can't score, 0-0 is our best hope.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:26 am

Looking at Plymouth’s form, we’ve got a chance of a win.

But wouldn’t be surprised with any scratchy one-goal win or draw for either team.

Can the siege mentality that Lambert/Evans/O’Neill puts out inspire the team? All i know is that if we win, Lambert will be gloating and if we lose/draw it’ll be excuses and we’re playing great.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:35 pm

Depending on our team and FORMATION I’ll go with a very hard fought draw. Probably 0-0 since we can’t hit a barn door from 2 yards out right now .

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:09 pm

Town must take risks in order to apply more of a goal threat in upcoming games.
Paul Lambert :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:28 pm

Like others, have no longer got a clue what to predict here. Yes, Plymouth have had a couple of thumpings recently, but prior to that looked pretty capable in front of goal. It would be typical of Ipswich to do as they did last season, by helping get Plymouth back on a better streak.

Gloomy times, a little glimmer of light with a surprise win or at least a half decent performance (while changing very little) would be very welcome.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:56 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:09 pm
Marvel comics presents, "The Truth Slayer" starring Paul Lambert...The man with super human powers and the uncanny ability of stating the obvious. He hypnotizes his enemies with ambiguous positivity distorting the truth. What happens next at his Plymouth lair? Watch this space for the next episode of "The Truth Slayer!"

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:47 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:56 pm
number 9 wrote:
Marvel comics presents, "The Truth Slayer" starring Paul Lambert...The man with super human powers and the uncanny ability of stating the obvious. He hypnotizes his enemies with ambiguous positivity distorting the truth. What happens next at his Plymouth lair? Watch this space for the next episode of "The Truth Slayer!"
cinema guy voice?

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:36 pm

I think we are due a win.

Plymouth 0 - ITCF 2

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:06 am

marko69 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:47 pm
number 9 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:56 pm
number 9 wrote:
cinema guy voice?
Aye! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:04 pm

Dobra starts again, also Jackson starts which is good, suddenly Drinan not even in the squad !

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:39 pm

Though I get pissed off after bad results, performances I'm still ITFC through and through for the last 55 years. Delighted Dozzell is staying and seeing the Blues try to play attacking passing football. Loved ITNo. 1 post and happy to take all points on board. Good to see mcgavin, Dobra, lankester etc starting
Hope we get a win today and everything will look better
COYB

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:40 pm

Drinan injured?

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:57 pm

patthegimp wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:40 pm
Drinan injured?
Probably.

2-0 victory. Lankester and Judge to score.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:04 pm
Dobra starts again, also Jackson starts which is good, suddenly Drinan not even in the squad !
Drinans injured. Dont know what.

Right its the hope that kills us but come on itfc thump these!! You need it, evans needs it , lambert needs it but most of all we need it coybs!!

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:04 pm
Drinans injured. Dont know what.

Right its the hope that kills us but come on itfc thump these!! You need it, evans needs it , lambert needs it but most of all we need it coybs!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:13 pm

Any one else having sync problems with iFollow ? Can’t get the visual to match the commentary and I’ve done the forward 10 secs crap countless times !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:15 pm

Ripped apart one down already

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:17 pm

Missed the build up to their goal. Feel we have looked livelier.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:18 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:57 pm

2-0 victory. Lankester and Judge to score.
3-1 victory. Lankester, Judge and Jackson to score.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:18 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:13 pm
Any one else having sync problems with iFollow ? Can’t get the visual to match the commentary and I’ve done the forward 10 secs crap countless times !
Sync problems? Or SINK problems?

Jaysus fkn H man.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:19 pm

yeah ifollow is crap - I have a 1.5GB connection here and the quality is absolutely awful.

actually enjoying the game, mainly down to Plymouth playing very open and scoring a good goal.

Their number 2 looks twice as good as KVY

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:23 pm

Jackson that was pure unadulterated crap. He's never gonna be good enough

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:23 pm

How did Jackson not score ffs

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:25 pm

Thought it was a very tackle tbh . KD took to long to get his shot away

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:33 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:19 pm
yeah ifollow is crap - I have a 1.5GB connection here and the quality is absolutely awful.

actually enjoying the game, mainly down to Plymouth playing very open and scoring a good goal.

Their number 2 looks twice as good as KVY
I e had to turn the sound off . It’s bloody ridiculous.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:41 pm

Not good that Oxford are winning 1-0 v Hull. Gives ammo to the “every club is beating each other, no divine right” happy clapper gang.

Start winning football matches LAMBERT

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:41 pm

As depressing as ever, McGavin, Dobra and Chambers ok but the rest are poor