Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we back up the Plymouth result?

Ipswich Win
14%
Portsmouth Win
36%
Draw
50%

Total votes: 14

arana peligrosa

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:09 pm

Only got score a moment ago, seems made the right choice in giving the game a miss, other things to do. First reaction, Lambert can f*ck off now. First thought was the manager, he selects the squad and is responsible for pep talks, motivation (or lack of) and overseeing team affairs. Evidently doing a poor job, in fact has done since coming in. Implore someone from within the club set-up to git rid before the damage this season becomes irreversible.

Just seeing a few comments, playing poor, lack of ideas, no creativity, outplayed : need you go on. Possession is all very well but too often we can't do a damn thing with it. What really pisses me off with all this is that while we're hanging in around the play-off zone, if the team and manager really got their act together we could just as easily ride the automatic promotion places. Too many missed opportunities.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:10 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:48 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:42 pm
Can suggest you all look at my latest comment on the Marcus Evans comments he's put us up for sale at £35 million interesting
This is story from 2018 isn't it?
Yep it is, :roll: but I wouldn't mind betting he may well revive this sooner rather than later

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:12 pm

Look on the bright side.... Freddie could be fit for Tuesday.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:15 pm

This was a 0-2 annihilation. Pompey looked like it was a training session for them .

Injuries of no injuries Lambert looks totally out of his froth tactically and FFS Evans just SACK HIM NOW!!

We’ve now played Hull, Charlton and Pompey at home snd conceded 8 goals with no reply . His is Lambert still here based just on that alone ???

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:19 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:04 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:58 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:53 pm

Think it will be better, well i hope so. However not going to bother with i-follow next Saturday as i fear a real early Christmas stuffing from Posh.
Why? Are you chicken??!!
:lol: In truth i lost interest in this game today with about 20 minutes to go.

For someone usually so positive, that is a sad state of affairs i know. Besides, my local home side are at home next Saturday so i am going to take in a chance to watch them against the bottom team! There WILL be goals there and hopefully the majority for my team.
Me too and im trying my best to keep interested, for bluemike to be so downbeat is unheard of. Slate me if you want, and i never want to see town lose, part of me wanted to see portsmouth score 2 or 3 more in the last 20. I know its bad for player confidence but its more aimed at PL. Evans cant keep supporting this manager who is either too stubborn to change things or just not capable of ciaching the players he has to adapt in a game. Ive really tried to buy into the evans way but thats proving really hard .

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:22 pm

Let's not forget that we have scored 23 goals this season. The top 4 scorers have got 16 of those Edwards 5, Bishop & Nolan 4 each, Sears 3. Three out injured and the other but fit and went off early.

One up front worked well at the start because Edwards and Bishop were scoring. Without them, the goal threat has to come from elsewhere. That is why we needed to move to 2 up front at half time.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:38 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:15 pm
This was a 0-2 annihilation. Pompey looked like it was a training session for them .

Injuries of no injuries Lambert looks totally out of his froth tactically and FFS Evans just SACK HIM NOW!!

We’ve now played Hull, Charlton and Pompey at home snd conceded 8 goals with no reply . His is Lambert still here based just on that alone ???
I agree with you Les.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:
The 2000 who got a tkt are the losers lol, my decision is 100% vindicated as this morning I wondered if I'd done the right thing.
Sadly, having just returned, you are indeed correct, Mike. Parking was easy! Much expectation, taking the knee is not my thing but was not booed (in fact some applauded), was fairly low key in terms of crowd noise although at start, people tried but the football on show killed off any enthusiasm. Half time hot chocolate and mince pie was my highlight! You all saw it so won't labour on match but my view for what it is worth, is that we are just sooooo toothless. Dobra a really good little player but he is lightweight, judge is just totally hopeless and we could have played until tuesday and still not scored. I was behind lambert and he was getting lots of stick - when he replaced jackson, it was the biggest noise of the afternoon! We are a poor team with no direction i am afraid and until we get players back, promotion or even close is 1000 miles away.

So - i tried it and I won't be applying for a ticket again until everyone can go as its just not a fun experience. I hate covid and everything that surrounds it and hoped that this would be a ray of hope - but sadly, it wasn't...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:16 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:25 pm
Bluemike wrote:
The 2000 who got a tkt are the losers lol, my decision is 100% vindicated as this morning I wondered if I'd done the right thing.
Sadly, having just returned, you are indeed correct, Mike. Parking was easy! Much expectation, taking the knee is not my thing but was not booed (in fact some applauded), was fairly low key in terms of crowd noise although at start, people tried but the football on show killed off any enthusiasm. Half time hot chocolate and mince pie was my highlight! You all saw it so won't labour on match but my view for what it is worth, is that we are just sooooo toothless. Dobra a really good little player but he is lightweight, judge is just totally hopeless and we could have played until tuesday and still not scored. I was behind lambert and he was getting lots of stick - when he replaced jackson, it was the biggest noise of the afternoon! We are a poor team with no direction i am afraid and until we get players back, promotion or even close is 1000 miles away.

So - i tried it and I won't be applying for a ticket again until everyone can go as its just not a fun experience. I hate covid and everything that surrounds it and hoped that this would be a ray of hope - but sadly, it wasn't...
Thanks Will, sorry the experience was not all it was cracked up to be but that is exactly how I expected it to be irrespective of the result, I know they have to Start somewhere but in truth its awful.

As for the team, aside from Dozzell and Dobra there is no flair at all, Chambo too has had a good season but the likes of Judge, Nolan, Woolfy Lankester are all pretty crap atm, Jackson needs a partner which looks highly unlikely.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:51 am

At the moment, Lambert’s only got the injuries to fall back on as excuses.

But isn’t that why we built or kept a bloated squad... so as to deal with injuries?

If this was the first season in this league, then he’d have more of a point, but we have last season as a reminder and it just seems like deja vu again.

Tactics again. I don’t understand the Drinan substitution and Jackson coming off. We’ve got 5 subs now which means you can make earlier substitutions and he could have partnered Jackson with someone at HT. Lambert says he was trying to protect Jackson (what? save him for the crucial game against Burton). He might as well not started him as he’s not suited to the lone role. He surely has to consider starting with the two up front.
Lambert is right to point out he’s got a lot of injuries, but it’s up to him to work better with what he’s got. He says he doesn’t want us to lump the ball up to Hawkins, but we lumped the ball up to Jackson plenty of times anyway - after 10 or so sideways passes. It’s possession for possessions sake followed by a pointless lump up the field.

Lambert was lucky that it wasn’t a 5 or 6 nil result. I was expecting more of a fight in what was billed as a massive game.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:00 am

So pleased I’ve had a busy weekend and was only able to follow the footie on my phone whilst playing golf and straight out as soon as I got home. Catching up on reports this evening has made depressing reading and I can’t say I’m overly confident this season is likely to have a happy ending.

The problem is when confidence is low and the team lacks leadership even the “easy” games become difficult and results unpredictable. Four games in 15 days between 15-29 December will be challenging to say the least, and whilst Burton (H), Peterborough (A), Northampton (H) and Wimbledon (A) we would normally expect to collect 6 or 7 points at the very least, in the current climate you wouldn’t put money on it. The danger is if we don’t pick up a reasonable number of points with games coming thick and fast, it would be all too easy to drop to mid table or worse by the end of the month. Hopefully this won’t happen and we’ll hang on in there.

I’ve never been a fan of Paul Lambert and given his track record of resigning, hopefully he’ll add Ipswich Town to his list clubs where he chooses to leave rather than wait for the inevitable, especially if the 15 days just referred to go badly for the team. The only reason this may take longer than usual is because demand for his services will be very low and he could be unemployed for a long time. More concerning though is, who in his right mind would want to follow him into the Managers chair at Portman Road ?... I certainly can’t imagine any well known Manager wanting the job especially if it comes with the team having dropped further down the table. Our best chance of getting someone half decent in would be whilst there’s still a half chance of getting promotion this season, that could just be an attractive proposition to a Neil Warnock type manager, now that’s an appointment I’ve always wanted to see albeit not everyone’s cup of tea.

Given that sacking managers can be extremely costly I don’t see this happening anytime soon, which means we could just be stuck with this unlikable bloke at least until the end of the end of the season. I hope not but we may need to be prepared for it.

He could of course surprise us all and motivate the team to go on a four match winning streak that makes us all look stupid. But there’s as much chance of that as winning €200 Million on the lottery. Happy Days.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:59 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:00 am
.....a Neil Warnock type manager, now that’s an appointment I’ve always wanted to see albeit not everyone’s cup of tea....
Now this is something I remember. I think we were the only two on the forum in favour of NW after Mick left.

He’s an absolute pain in the arse to every opposing manager and that’s a good thing. He also knows his football and sticks to the facts that are apparent on the pitch. He also claims to miss a lot, which is his pain in the arse side. :lol:
Always entertaining a NW press conference! 👍

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:50 am

Eddie Howe is the one for me.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:17 am

I think someone like Eddie Howe is way, way out of our league.

One name that keeps popping up is Kieron Dyer. I don’t understand why he should be a suitable candidate apart from the fact he’s been brought in as under 23 coach and he’s played for us over 20 years ago. He’s really just started learning his trade - shouldn’t he be allowed to continue with that. Since he’s retired - he’s released a book, done reality TV, media work and done the odd bit of coaching here and there. It could be useful experience, but he needs to knuckle down for a period of time, make his mistakes as you do when you’re new to something and learn from them at that level - not senior management.

If Lambert does go, we need someone who can really make a difference quickly by getting more out of the players, but also by having more tactical nous. We look both toothless and clueless and looking very fragile defensively.

I’ve no idea who would be suitable and, indeed, whether we could afford whoever or can afford to pay Lambert off. A couple of names bandied about elsewhere are the Cowley brothers and Paul Cook.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:16 am

Tinytown wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:50 am
Eddie Howe is the one for me.
Nice dream Tinytown I like your style, however Eddie Howe has already served his apprenticeship and done his time in the lower leagues proving his worth. When he returns it will most likely be in the Premier League or a top Championship Club.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:21 am

If it is Dyer then welcome to League Two.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:23 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:21 am
If it is Dyer then welcome to League Two.
Exactly my thoughts too Mike.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:32 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:59 am
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:00 am
.....a Neil Warnock type manager, now that’s an appointment I’ve always wanted to see albeit not everyone’s cup of tea....
Now this is something I remember. I think we were the only two on the forum in favour of NW after Mick left.

He’s an absolute pain in the arse to every opposing manager and that’s a good thing. He also knows his football and sticks to the facts that are apparent on the pitch. He also claims to miss a lot, which is his pain in the arse side. :lol:
Always entertaining a NW press conference! 👍

What I like about NW is his direct style and ability to get the best out of his players, something which PL appears to struggle with.
I remember 35 years ago working with a colleague who played Semi Pro under Neil Warnock at Scarborough Town and he raved about him as a Manager. Ever since then I’ve followed him wherever he’s been and every time we’ve had a vacancy at ITFC I’ve been curious about how well he’d do here. Personally I think he’d have done a better job than some we’ve taken on, I just have a slight concern we may have missed his best years. But hey, Roy Hodgson is still doing well at Palace at 70+, in fact 73 I think.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:39 am

Warnock’s at Middlesbrough

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:01 am

number 9 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:39 am
Warnock’s at Middlesbrough
You’re absolutely right Number 9, that’s why in the first post I said “a Neil Warnock type manager” and not Neil Warnock specifically.

Sorry if my subsequent post confused matters. In fact I think Middlesbrough suits NW perfectly especially being based so close to home.