Ipswich Town vs Burton Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Should we expect to Win this one?

Town Win
29%
Burton Win
36%
Draw
36%

Total votes: 14

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Burton Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:41 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Burton AlbionImage

Tuesday 15th December 2020 – 19:45

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Bluemike

The Most Miserable Club In Football........

The opening headline may be a bit alarming but that is how we have been described in the press today and do you know what, I think it's pretty accurate, what a damning indictment on names such as Robson, Ramsey, Cobbold etc etc, just how has this been allowed to get to this level, at times I have defended the club, mainly due to a fair few circumstances that were out of our control at key times but there comes a point where you have to say enough is enough, and that time, for me at least, is now. It was also said that this team is the worst Town team in the last Six decades and who can argue, I do disagree to a degree on that though, we have some talented players in the squad, mainly the young blood but as a collective squad yes it may well be up there at least with the very worst we have ever had to offer.

You would have thought that the returning Two Thousand fans would have been overjoyed to be back, but instead I have been witness to numerous people bemoaning the same old rubbish as we were dishing up back in March, some have said they won't be applying again and some like me are wondering if to apply for tickets at all until it is "back to normal", The icing on the cake was the crescendo of boos that greeted the players at half Time and more so at the final whistle, were they glad to be back ? Were they hell.

Paul Lambert has deflected the reason for our dire showing away from the injuries and plonked it firmly at the doorstep of the under performing players, not good enough by all accounts, finally he is on the same wavelength, sadly though, from my point of view much of it is down to his ineptitude. In a week when we lost the late and great Barbara Windsor it really is glaringly obvious what Two big one's up front can do, she made a name from it and Town were crying out for Two big One's up front too, sadly we just got the One Tit. I think Lambert must be the only person on the planet who fails to see that the current plan, if that is what we can call it, isn't working.

The game itself was pretty One sided throughout, I have seen it written that we played some attractive Football, well if passing sideways or backwards Hundreds of times is attractive then fair enough, sadly it just brings more defeats, Pompey were as comfortable as it gets, it could and should have been Five or Six, I cannot remember a Town player coming out of the game with any praise, maybe Chambo but even he mucked up for One of the goals, Cornell did ok and pulled off two great saves and Dobra worked hard, but as for the rest, poor in the extreme. There was absolutely nothing good or positive to take from the game at all.

Yes we find ourselves still in Sixth place and well in touch with the automatic promotion places but the reality of it all is that we are a Million miles away from being a promotion team, the cracks are appearing on and off the park at an alarming rate, the manager is looking lost and beaten and the players are at times way off it, it is a recipe for disaster and has to be addressed in several areas. Normally you would think a visit to Portman Road from the basement team is just what is needed to get things a little bit back on track but I am worried about this game, failure to win this and all hell will break loose, it would pile even more pressure on Evans, Lambert and co and you would think something would have to give, I can honestly see Burton getting something from this game and that will be unacceptable in the fans eyes, the fall out will crank up several notches, I am ashamed to say that part of me thinks this may be a blessing in disguise should this happen, that train of though saddens me but it's how things have made me feel just now. A low scoring draw for me followed by the usual drivel in the press as to how it isn't good enough and things have to improve soon, yeah yeah yeah, heard it a Million times, maybe by going out and showing us we aren't the " Most Miserable Club In Football" would be a better way of going about things. Don't hold your breath.IPSWICH TIL I DIE.

The Opposition – Burton Albion

Burton Albion can claim lineage from four now defunct clubs: Burton Swifts, Burton Town, Burton United and Burton Wanderers.

Burton Albion were formed in 1950, and joined the Birmingham & District League. They finished the 1953–54 season as runners-up, and in 1958–59 joined the Southern League North Western zone. In 1965–66, Burton missed out on the runners-up place on goal difference, but were still promoted to the Southern League Premier Division.

They avoided relegation in 1968, thanks to Stevenage Town folding, but were relegated to Division One after an unsuccessful 1969–70 season. Burton missed out on promotion on goal average in 1970–71, but finished as runners-up the following season and were promoted back to the Premier Division.

The next two seasons saw them relegated and then promoted back to the Premier Division again. They stayed in the same division until being relegated once more at the end of 1976–77.

League rearrangements saw Burton moved to the Northern Premier League, because of their location in the central Midlands, and then back to the Southern League in 1987–88, the season after losing in a replayed FA Trophy final to Kidderminster Harriers.

In October 1998, Nigel Clough was appointed as player-manager and he led the club to two successive runners-up spots, in 1999–2000 and 2000–01.

Burton were again moved to the Northern Premier League Premier Division in 2001–02, which they won by a margin of 15 points, and the club was promoted to the Football Conference for the first time.

The club was brought to national attention when they were drawn at home against 11-time winners Manchester United in the third round of the 2005–06 FA Cup. The Brewers held the Premier League team to a 0–0 draw at home, but lost the reply 5–0 in front of over 11,000 Burton fans, setting a record for number of away fans at Old Trafford.

In January 2009, Burton went on to set a league record for the most consecutive wins and, in February 2009, when the team was 19 points clear at the top of the table, Conference sponsors Blue Square declared Burton the winners of the 2008–09 title in a PR stunt in which they paid out all bets. However, a bad run of form only saw this confirmation take place due to other results on the last day of the season.

Burton finished in 13th place in their first campaign in the Football League.

During the 2014–15 season, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink took over the managerial position at the Brewers and led them to the League Two title, which meant promotion to League One for the first time in their history. Hasselbaink left by mutual consent in December 2015 to join Queens Park Rangers as manager.

Nigel Clough returned to Burton to replace him for his second spell as manager and led the club to a second-place finish in the league, earning promotion to the Championship, another first for Burton, in the 2015/16 season.

Burton struggled throughout their first season in the higher division, but secured their Championship status on 29 April 2017 after a 1–1 draw with Barnsley.

Burton spent much of their second season in the Championship in the relegation zone. It was looking likely the club was going drop back down to League One, however three wins in the late stage of the season boosted their chances of survival, including a 2-1 win over relegation rivals Sunderland. However following a 2-1 defeat to Preston North End on the final day of the season, Burton were relegated back to League One.

In 2018-19, in spite of being in mid-table in League One, they made the semi finals of the 2018–19 EFL Cup, after wins over Shrewsbury, Aston Villa, Burnley, Nottingham Forest and Middlesbrough. Facing Manchester City, Burton lost the 1st leg 9–0 at the Etihad Stadium, eventually losing 10–0 on aggregate.

Last season Burton Albion finished 12th place in League 1.

The Manager – Nigel Clough

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – currently in 6th place with 29 points

24 Nov Ipswich Town 0 - 3 Hull City

28 Nov Ipswich Town 0 - 2 Charlton

1 Dec Oxford Utd 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

5 Dec Plymouth 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

12 Dec Ipswich Town 0 - 2 Portsmouth

Burton Albion Last 5 Matches – currently in 24th place with 13 points

21 Nov Burton Albion 1 - 3 Northampton

24 Nov Burton Albion 4 - 2 Charlton

1 Dec Sunderland 1 - 1 Burton Albion

5 Dec Burton Albion 1 - 1 Crewe Alexandra

12 Dec Milton Keynes 1 - 1 Burton Albion

Match Referee – Darren Bond

IPSWICH TOWN 1 BURTON ALBION 0

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Burton Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:13 am

Yep, good honest write up and ----> WHAT?......, babs is dead?? I honestly didn't know that. RIP Barbra Windsor. Very nice amalgamation of tits.

The tits that are still breathing can hopefully thump Burton 3 or 4 nil tomorrow night and make it an entertaining night for the fans, ....., although voted draw.

Ref Caption:
"Wait, you're taking Jackson off? Ok. Proceed. You're team."

Clough caption:
Nigel loses full season fixture list but finds out from fan who Tuesday nights opponents are.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:46 am

Caption : Stuart Watson to Nigel Clough, ..... “and how do you see it going for Lambert at Ipswich this season, Nigel ?”

Great analogy Mike : so typically you lol !! 😁👍

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:50 am

Anyone want my free Ifollow Code? I will be at the game. Let me know.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:46 am

Thanks, Mike, for the Babs Windsor and two up front analogy - I’m sure Sid James would guffaw in agreement that two up front are best. It’s like a modern version of Carry On Same Old sh*t.

“ I think Lambert must be the only person on the planet who fails to see that the current plan, if that is what we can call it, isn't working.”

Couldn’t agree more with above... but maybe include Marcus Evans

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:16 pm

cannot see us not beating Burton tonight, but I think it will be the only points we gain for the rest of the month

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:24 pm

4-4-1-1

Chambo- Toto- McGuinness- Ward

Lankester- McGavin- Dozzell- Bennetts

Jackson

Drinan or Hawkins

With Dozzell further forward and McGavin holding, just do it Lambert ffs. In effect its a 4-4-2

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:28 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:14 pm
This match has to be 3pts surely!

I am assuming you are serious, Balls? :D

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:24 pm
4-4-1-1

Jackson

Drinan or Hawkins

With Dozzell further forward and McGavin holding, just do it Lambert ffs. In effect its a 4-4-2
Sounds like a good plan.
Lankester could play a bit deeper and be more effective too. Not sure about Bennetts but can't think of an alternative. Dobra?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:05 pm

Possibly Dobra but maybe for Lankester, at least Bennetts runs at them, doesn't often come to much but hope springs eternal

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Don't give a rat's as* for Burton had to take a view of their last five games for any indication of what to expect. Not too bad, they've held their own against some tough opposition. We ourselves have pissed away the fine home record of the first six games and if they were to travel down and take a win it wouldn't be outside the realms of unbelievable.

In any normal circumstances this should be a cast iron home victory. Pity is screwing up against opposition teams of this nature have become all too common too often around here. Rare when you vote for an away team win here particularly given the nature of who we're up against but seen enough of it to kind of know what to expect. Hope to be proved incorrect. The starting formation should be key as to how the game progresses.

ITFC 1 Burton Albions 2

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:30 pm

Just shows how far ITFC have fallen, that our fans are seemingly worried that we might be unable to overcome the mighty Burton Albion at PR!
Burton, i see, have drawn all 3 matches 1-1 in December. Two of these were away fixtures in which Burton lead in both instances, only for the home side to score late on (MK Dons 73 pen and Sunderland 85). I think if Burton score early, we are in trouble. My personal concerns have been raised further by the following snippets from BBC website.

The Dons' attempts to play out from the back, almost entirely through Richard Keogh, saw them pinned back early on and there was little to cheer for the 2,000 fans present

Of the Sunderland game Burton, who seemed happy enough for the home side to have the lion's share of possession
Both the above remarks makes it look like our current style will only serve to play into Burtons hands.
The head tells me 1-1 all day long, but i am going with my heart and a 2-0 won to town!

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:32 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:30 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:24 pm
4-4-1-1

Jackson

Drinan or Hawkins

Sounds like a good plan.
Lankester could play a bit deeper and be more effective too. Not sure about Bennetts but can't think of an alternative. Dobra?
Agree with the team and formation, however Dobra has to play for me for either Bennett’s or Lankester.

Good going forward but not sure defensively the team is sound enough. We have all been focusing on formation but really it’s our lack of willingness to pick up runners and fill spaces has been our downfall. Some of which is caused by having both fullbacks pushed on.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:45 pm

Agree about the Fullbacks and for me it's mostly down Ward's side that we suffer most, yes Chambo made a rare error Saturday but has by and large been solid.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:29 pm

Good thing Dobra didn't go out on loan. He's become a regular starter now, ffs!

I don't see us getting anything out of this to be honest. It'll probably be a nasty 1nil loss. Of course, hoping someone will light a fire under the arses of Team Ipswich...it won't be Lambert that's for sure. Maybe a few fans will throw their hot chocolate and egg salad sandwiches on the pitch in protest! Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more... :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:45 pm

Can only hope the team aren’t “idle”...... like 9 seems to be! Nudge nudge .... :lol:

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:29 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:46 am
Caption : Stuart Watson to Nigel Clough, ..... “and how do you see it going for Lambert at Ipswich this season, Nigel ?”

Great analogy Mike : so typically you lol !! 😁👍
Unfortunately Les and Mike, Nigel Clough is not the manager anymore it is Jake Buxton.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:53 pm

I didn't say he was lol

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:53 pm
I didn't say he was lol
Oh I thought you did the match preview

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:54 pm

Jackson and Hawkins start.

Huws in from nowhere. Bennetts and Judge perhaps widemen.

Could be 4-4-2 or Jackson as wide attacker. Who knows? Dobra and McGavin drop to the bench. Sticking with the two young CB’s.

Ipswich Town: Cornell; Chambers, Woolfenden, McGuinness, Ward; Dozzell, Huws, Judge, Bennetts, Jackson, Hawkins

Subs: Holy, Nsiala, Kenlock, McGavin, Dobra, Lankester, Drinan

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:59 pm

Judge and Huws...oh dear

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:08 pm

How the f*ck does Judge get picked game after game he is absolutely crap. Huws is no better either. Might be 442 though

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:41 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:21 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:53 pm
I didn't say he was lol
Oh I thought you did the match preview
Only the opening waffle lol

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:41 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:08 pm
How the f*ck does Judge get picked game after game he is absolutely crap. Huws is no better either. Might be 442 though
I don't get Judge either, absolute useless donkey

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:51 pm

Just what the doctor ordered... Keanon Bennetts

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:51 pm

Yep thanks to Hawkins and Jackson, my my 2 strikers, who'd have thought it

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:53 pm

Whoop whoop!! We want 2, we want 2, we want 2!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:56 pm

Should be 3 !!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:56 pm

On fire atm.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:01 pm

Bennetts dad, Gordon been on the phone......he’s happy. For a change!