Ipswich Town vs Burton Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Should we expect to Win this one?

Town Win
29%
Burton Win
36%
Draw
36%

Total votes: 14

valleyroad

Re: Ipswich Town vs Burton Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by valleyroad » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:56 pm

2 points off top all to play for.
Huge game on Saturday a win would kick Ipswich on big time.
Nice run of fixtures thro Dec, Jan.
Couple of good additions in Jan, get players fit and Ipswich will be well in there.
Would love to see Lambert do it, just like big Davie Moyes has done at WH !!
Last edited by valleyroad on Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:59 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:43 pm
Looks like nobody in top 6 really wants it. Only Us and Donny picking up a win tonight. Just wondering if Accrington are this seasons Wycombe? Win their games in hand and they're top!
Not a hope will fall away.
Ipswich will be there or thereabouts

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:00 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:56 pm
Couple of good additions in Jan, get player fit and Ipswich will be well in there.
Saturday looks very tough, but nothing is impossible. Like the positive thinking. 👍

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:04 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:59 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:43 pm
Looks like nobody in top 6 really wants it. Only Us and Donny picking up a win tonight. Just wondering if Accrington are this seasons Wycombe? Win their games in hand and they're top!
Not a hope will fall away.
Ipswich will be there or thereabouts
Quite probably, but we thought that of Wycombe last season!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:06 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Couple of good additions in Jan, get players fit and Ipswich will be well in there.
I’d love some of what you’re on VR. I can’t see Town getting anything next Saturday except a monumental thumping. We simply aren5 at the races. Yes we won tonight but omg how poor were we against the division’s bottom team! And yet probably more injuries ( Bennett’s and Jackson?). No sign of any of our supposedly better players coming back anytime soon. A win Saturday? Would love it m but pure fantasy football I fear.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:14 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:06 pm
valleyroad wrote:
I’d love some of what you’re on VR. I can’t see Town getting anything next Saturday except a monumental thumping. We simply aren5 at the races. Yes we won tonight but omg how poor were we against the division’s bottom team! And yet probably more injuries ( Bennett’s and Jackson?). No sign of any of our supposedly better players coming back anytime soon. A win Saturday? Would love it m but pure fantasy football I fear.
With the injury list Ipswich have I'm not sure much more could be asked.
I expect they will lose on Saturday too but wouldn't rule out a point.
Key is to stay in the race over Dec, Jan and get squad fit and really go for it over business end of the season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:57 pm

I get that VR honestly I do.

I’ve been reflecting on things since the end of the game , and maybe I’m just expecting too much of the players available to us atm?! We do have practically a whole first string team out . So to be in and around that top four dudes is nothing short of a miracle . I think what tips me over the edge is Lamberts insistence of playing 1 up front . I feel so sorry for Jackson, as you can see he’s frustrated at being played wide . He’d be far more effective playing off Hawkins or Drinan, but the stubborn old go simply won’t play it will he . Against better dudes we are found seriously wanting and I’m expecting a right tronking on Saturday.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:06 am

I still see us as an average league 1 side. I was there tonight and thought we aren't really much better than the bottom team. But it's a league where no one stands out.

In all honesty I wax just happy to go back at a match. Lots of moaners, and I just wonder under the circumstances why they applied for a ticket. We weren't great. We could have lost. But we also could have had a couple more goals. Didn't expect a win, but obviously hoped for it, and was jumping up and down when we scored both goals. Just great to be back at live football.

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:21 am

Agree Andy, we played better second half and limited them to one good chance. It seemed we had moved to playing Jackson more central just prior to the goal going 442. All this talk about chambers being quiet is just a non story. He was at it all night.

But as you say we are an average L1 side at present but get the our best 5 players back and keep them fit I think we will have a real chance. This league appears pretty even across the board and no one looked convincing imo.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:29 am

Ando wrote:[/b]time=1608074507 user_id=56526]
Agree Andy, we played better second half and limited them to one good chance. It seemed we had moved to playing Jackson more central just prior to the goal going 442. All this talk about chambers being quiet is just a non story. He was at it all night.

But as you say we are an average L1 side at present but get the our best 5 players back and keep them fit I think we will have a real chance. This league appears pretty even across the board and no one looked convincing imo.
Yes. Even the poor sides aren't that awful and pick up results. I think this was Burton's first defeat in 4 or 5? It could be a very interesting second half of the season, there is very little consistency or predictability

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:50 am

Didn't expect to win in truth. Home form has been disappointing of late after the six game winning run. Took in the game report on Those Were The Days and a select replies thereafter but it never provides the full picture. Relief more than anything, victory is near essential given the teams position and we did with what ten minutes remaining. They could have leveled it late on, but they didn't, we won, best not to wonder on it.

Opposition are bottom place in the league ? We have a tendency to slip up against opposition of this nature but this time it went our way. Appears we reverted to scrappy disjointed play for a time particularly after the first goal but found the means to finish winners. This was and could be a pivotal victory by end of season.

Results at the top went the teams way for once. If you had offered tonights scores before start of play most, if not all, would have taken it without hesitation. Two points off top position but it's becoming crowded in and around the top six. Just irritated (that) with a bit more extra effort and focus in previous games up 'til now the team could just as easily be in #1 position. Take what we got tonight, may have been scrappy or an element of fortune in it but a victory all the same.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:34 am

This wasn’t again convincing in the least.

I don’t see where this possession based football is getting us. You might as well quickly lump the ball up to Hawkins and hope we can pick up the scraps. It worked in the first 10 minutes. And there was intensity, too. Then it was the same old passing backwards and sideways, give the ball away and let the other side back in. There was a period we were trying long diagonal balls and we were ignoring Hawkins. Why be too fancy? Hawkins was involved in both goals by tying up the cb’s and being a nuisance.

It’s astonishing we’re still in the top six, but no team has any consistency. It’s just a case of who’s less sh*t rather than who’s better.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:56 am

I’ll take the scrappy win. Burton aren’t as bad as their position would suggest just look at their other results. Keep an eye on Doncaster, Charlton and Accrington...they could knock us out of the top six in a hurry. As far as the tippy tappy football, folks it’s gonna take a long time to develop into a winning formula especially with so many starting players out. If we can get on a winning streak, we just might see some light at the end of the tunnel. I can’t wait to see how we play when injuries are not an excuse to lose. A win at Peterborough would be uplifting or a hammering could be devastating. Remember the 7-2 loss? If I was Lambert I’d be making sure the players remember.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:09 pm

Just watched the highlights again and I think Cornell needs looking at for their goal, wasn't great goalkeeping

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:14 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:09 pm
Just watched the highlights again and I think Cornell needs looking at for their goal, wasn't great goalkeeping
Cornell was at St Mirren on a season long loan, he got 6 games in total and we binned him in December.
Surprised when I saw he was at Ipswich tbh

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:20 pm

I’ve never quite understood how Cornell is now preferred to Tomas Holy, has the later been really poor recently?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:48 pm

Not he hasn't Andy, Holy is much better than Cornell, its bizarre really.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:05 pm

I don’t think there’s much between them. I’m not really bothered who’s the GK’s.

As for their goal, I was more interested in how Burton had so much space to play the ball into the box. Bad diagonal ball, Chambers getting caught out...they break... and then they have so much space to cross. Bit too easy. Maybe Cornell could have done better, but can’t say either Holy or Cornell would make much difference.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:48 pm
Not he hasn't Andy, Holy is much better than Cornell, its bizarre really.
Is he? Holy for me he is is great for crosses but he doesn't comand his area where as Cornell seems to be a shot stopper, which we require more unfortunately. Both are crap at kicking..

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:50 pm

The stats show far more positives for Holy, I think i counted 7 clean sheets aside from anything else, its a no brainer.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:43 pm

I thought I heard the Suffolk radio commentators in one of our games recently say something along the lines that Holy wouldn’t ( for some reason), be in the team again until the New Year. But I either didn’t catch why they said that, or they didn’t say why.

It does seem odd that he’s not in the side.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:06 pm

To be honest I don't particularly rateam either of them. I don't favour one over the other