Kevin Beattie, A true Town Legend.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Kevin Beattie, A true Town Legend.

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:29 pm

Remembering Kevin on what would have been his 67th Birthday.

Taken far too early.

Tinytown

Re: Kevin Beattie, A true Town Legend.

Post by Tinytown » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:06 pm

2nd that. What a player so fortunate to see him play live .

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:16 am

Yes great player. No age at all really when he passed away.

Without being too controversial, I know a few people who have a few stories that portray a different Kevin Beattie to the one we hear about.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:41 am

I think everyone on the planet has skeleton in their closet and to be honest that is the best place to keep them. Kevin Beattie was football legend for this club and that is all that matters to me.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:45 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:16 am
Yes great player. No age at all really when he passed away.

Without being too controversial, I know a few people who have a few stories that portray a different Kevin Beattie to the one we hear about.
You are spot on but he was such a lovable rogue.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:00 pm

What a player and but for injuries what could be have achieved.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:07 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:41 am
I think everyone on the planet has skeleton in their closet and to be honest that is the best place to keep them. Kevin Beattie was football legend for this club and that is all that matters to me.
Yes he was a great servant. But some skeletons are bigger than others.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:40 pm

Ando wrote:
.....people who have a few stories
Obviously can't be certain but I'd wager they are just that ---->>> stories.

Took the time to read "The Beat" and he definitely lived his life to the absolute full. Big character. Massive name for Ipswich Town FC.

Having a smoke while collecting FA Cup medal -----> Legend! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:45 pm

They aren't all stories Marko, I had the pleasure of meeting him numerous times, he used to come down to the factory where I worked at the time to see my boss who was quite close to him, complimentary tickets in hand but looking for a favour in return lol, the stories were often straight from the horses mouth, some would make you laugh and others would shock you. Irrespective of it all, he was God to me, my all time favourite player.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:49 pm

Well if he wasn't bringing harm to women, children or animals......, all other crimes are "nae never mind"!

Did he bump off drug dealers in his spare time? Again, that'd be ----- > Legend!

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:16 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:40 pm
Ando wrote:

Took the time to read "The Beat" and he definitely lived his life to the absolute full. Big character. Massive name for Ipswich Town FC.

Marko

All I can say in an open forum is I have met him through my work and will need to leave it there.

He still remains a hero of mine on the pitch👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:27 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:16 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:40 pm
Ando wrote:

Marko

All I can say in an open forum is I have met him through my work and will need to leave it there.

He still remains a hero of mine on the pitch👍
Hey....., you brought it up, mate. If you're "leaving it there", cool with me. :D

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:46 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:07 pm
Tinytown wrote:
Wow, it would of been his 67th Birthday was the thread. There is no need to say anything. Sorry you and Bluemike are out of order insinuating anything. He has paid the ultimate price.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:59 pm

Err excuse me pal, I haven't insinuated anything, anything I believe I heard form the man himself so keep your opinions to yourself.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:07 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:46 pm
Ando wrote:
Tinytown wrote:
Wow, it would of been his 67th Birthday was the thread. There is no need to say anything. Sorry you and Bluemike are out of order insinuating anything. He has paid the ultimate price.
Not sure where we have insulted him? Perhaps you are being a little over sensitive?

Not much of a forum if people can’t have an opinion or make comment.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:49 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:07 pm
Tinytown wrote:
Ando wrote:

Not sure where we have insulted him? Perhaps you are being a little over sensitive?

I never said insulting;, I said insinuating.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:56 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:59 pm
Err excuse me pal, I haven't insinuated anything, anything I believe I heard form the man himself so keep your opinions to yourself.

I repeat myself. Why imply anything other than remembering the great man's Birthday. As you say "Pal".

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:07 pm

Of course it’s ok to make a comment but if your comment is loaded and you ain’t going to elaborate...... then what’s the point of the original comment?
Just to let the forum know he’s got dark secrets? 🤷‍♂️

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:09 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:49 pm
Ando wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:07 pm
Tinytown wrote:

I never said insulting;, I said insinuating.
[/quote

Apologies, like Mike my view is based on meeting kevin, but my on experiences have been portrayed to me by others however I have kept them to myself.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:27 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:07 pm
Of course it’s ok to make a comment but if your comment is loaded and you ain’t going to elaborate...... then what’s the point of the original comment?
Just to let the forum know he’s got dark secrets? 🤷‍♂️
How’s the comment made loaded? The original point I made there are people who share a different view. Then I explained to you where I came across the information. So the thread has evolved.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:41 pm

EH???? “Some skeletons are bigger” isn’t a loaded comment? And the comment was made AFTER the new guy said it was rather poor taste?
So that’s TWICE you made loaded references.
In reality, no one gives a fk but there is nothing worse than “stories” being dangled without any intention of being elaborated on. The Facebook thing is crammed full of that sort of thing.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:41 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:41 pm
EH???? “Some skeletons are bigger” isn’t a loaded comment? And the comment was made AFTER the new guy said it was rather poor taste?
So that’s TWICE you made loaded references.
In reality, no one gives a fk but there is nothing worse than “stories” being dangled without any intention of being elaborated on. The Facebook thing is crammed full of that sort of thing.

My first comment was referring to others that portray him differently. If I went into detail that would be unreasonable because I had not seen it first hand. But this comment is fact but it’s not for me to share their reason.

The quote everyone one has a skeleton in their closet, I replied but some are bigger than others. Did I say his skeletons where greater in number or severity No I did not. If that’s your interpretation there is not a lot I can do about that. I think Mike summed it up better than me in his description.

Has he done the things you referred to women animals children, I hope not. Was he an angel though no he was not.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:50 am

🤦‍♂️ But no one brought whether he was an angel or not into the conversation. You just did that.
Have there been deleted posts from people saying the sun shone out his arse? Must’ve missed those. 🤷‍♂️

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:11 am

The Beat was a great Town character and a brilliant footballer. He had a tough upbringing and probably wasn’t the brightest of kids but for sure made the most of his talent, albeit cut short by some dreadful injuries which in the 70’s professional footballers played on with.

I don’t confess to have known him well but he was good friends with some of my family members and they loved him to bits. The only time a I got to chat to him properly was at my cousins wedding at the Copdock House Hotel where he was one of the guests. He was on good form and good company and so approachable unlike the current breed of multi millionaire top flight players who are rarely seen by the wider public

Given he’s no longer with us, why don’t we just remember him for all the joy and excitement he brought those of us who were lucky enough to have seen him play, rather than look for skeletons.

If that guy had played in the modern era he’d have been one of the wealthiest guys in the country living in a mansion and not struggling to make ends meet as he was when he passed away.

Hope you had a great heavenly birthday yesterday.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:00 am

marko69 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:50 am
🤦‍♂️ But no one brought whether he was an angel or not into the conversation. You just did that.
Have there been deleted posts from people saying the sun shone out his arse? Must’ve missed those. 🤷‍♂️
In answer to the first line so we are clear.
Maybe you missed the comments from Mike, he does not directly mention whether he was an angel our not, but that’s my personal conclusion I drew from those comments rightly or wrongly. 🤷‍♂️

Mikes comments to you Marko

They aren't all stories Marko, I had the pleasure of meeting him numerous times, he used to come down to the factory where I worked at the time to see my boss who was quite close to him, complimentary tickets in hand but looking for a favour in return lol, the stories were often straight from the horses mouth, some would make you laugh and others would shock you. Irrespective of it all, he was God to me, my all time favourite player.

As for the second line

I will refer you back to my original post.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:26 am

I responded to Mikes post. Its up there after his post. In fact you quoted from it.

To be clear......, I honestly couldn't give two hoots if Kevin Beattie was an angel or not. My issue is this present day social media phenomenon of; "not be too controverial", then proceeding to hang something (which COULD be big, COULD be small) in the air with no explanation. Then you yourself even said, "I'll leave it at that"..... when you started it all. :lol: :lol: Was the intention to just let people know that you know stuff and its not all rosy? Maybe Charnwoods thread title annoyed you? He's not a TRUE legend?

I dunno. I apologise for going on but when people post stuff that has others scratching their head, I need to ask why. Was personally on the Facebook thing for a about month about 8 years ago and had to leave. Mainly for that reason. It's riddled with the "I know stuff and I ain't elaborating but just wanted you to know that I know stuff" people.

Anyway, over and out......, daughters birthday today and she is an absolute legend.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:17 am

Jeeez I wished I hadn't commented, nothing in my post suggested anything sinister, a story that shocks can be good or not so, its how some have portrayed it to be, I get so I can't be f**king arsed to write anything on here anymore and as for the scummer having a say, he seriously needs to STFU.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:17 am
Jeeez I wished I hadn't commented, nothing in my post suggested anything sinister, a story that shocks can be good or not so, its how some have portrayed it to be, I get so I can't be f**king arsed to write anything on here anymore and as for the scummer having a say, he seriously needs to STFU.
Who are you referring to as a "scummer"? And tell that person "to STFU" is bang out of order. That's why I stopped reading TWTD because of people's personal insults.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:31 pm

No one is whiter than white and many people hold Beattie in very high regard. He had a tough life at times and there should be sympathy relating to that.

If anyone has first hand knowledge of something he definitely did do that they feel everyone needs to or should know. But to say...

"I've know things about him mate"
"do you, what's that then"
"can't tell you mate"
"WELL p*ss OFF AND DON'T SAY ANYTHING THEN"

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:48 pm

Well I don't think Kevin would want forum members arguing about him at all. I briefly met him years ago, and he seemed like a lovely bloke. Players of those times were usually very approachable unlike today's prima donnas. He was indeed a fantastic player. If only we could attract players of his ability now.