Keiron Dyer as a Town manager prospect ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Keiron Dyer as a Town manager prospect ?

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:41 am

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ch-6866654

Now I know I've often been viewed as a town fan with Blue tinted glasses. I am Blue to the Bone, 'tis true. But for some reason I cant quite get on this Kieron Dyer for next Town manager, bandwagon.

This interview with him in todays EADT, left me pondering really. Yes he's got his class A&B Coaching Badges, and I see there is plenty of name dropping by KD about his potential "contacts" in the game which "opens doors" apparently . This might be true. But when he left the Club a year ago it was to go and broaden his coaching horizons. You would have expected him to have got a job at a lower league Club to achieve this . Miles under the belt as they say . Hard experience. But no, he says he spoke to a few individuals at one or two PL Clubs and watched how they approached the game.

I know a relative of his . He lives next door to my uncle, and I've often asked "how's Keiron doing, and what's he doing" over the last year. The response was this. Oh he left Town because he hated coaching the kids and he left to go and coach senior players. But he's largely done nothing over the last 12 months. He then just 2 months ago, was all set to join the "Celebrity SAS" programme, ( I suppose undertaking that would enhance his fitness!), but then we learn things had changed behind the scenes at the Club, with Nash moving to a more senior role, and the next thing is he's jacked that tv programme in and has re-joined the club, suddenly "a much better coach" (his words).

So call me a sceptic, but I'm really not sure how KD is anywhere near the finished article to become Town manager anytime soon. He has minimal coaching experience of anything above U18's to my knowledge, but reading his interview he's certainly trying to use his previous playing career
(mostly injured) and associations to past big names in the game. He talks a good game for sure. But is it transferrable into the senior game ?

Frankly Id be worried in Evans employed him in a senior role at this stage. I think he needs to go and coach at League Two and other League One club levels first . Obviously its Just my view though .

What do others feel about this …..?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Keiron Dyer as a Town manager prospect ?

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:59 am

I've never wanted him and never will, yes he may be one of us bu he hardly fits the criteria for a manager at any level to be honest, I would fear League Two should this ever come to fruition, this is coming from someone who is totally against ex players returning to manage their previous club.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:00 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:59 am
I've never wanted him and never will, yes he may be one of us bu he hardly fits the criteria for a manager at any level to be honest, I would fear League Two should this ever come to fruition, this is coming from someone who is totally against ex players returning to manage their previous club.
Ditto 👍

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:53 pm

Could not see it working. Dyer good club servant and all that but taking a managerial position here ? Sometimes reason has to go before sentimentality. Must be a whole list of former playing names that could be or see themselves feasible candidates when the time arises but looking within that area just doesn't sit right with many.

Going to take something special to turn around club fortunes what with the owners ever present desire to not properly fund the team and Evans is an individual that I would find difficult to work with. Look at all the names that have preceded Lambert since 2007, they've all tried and failed. If they couldn't do a job here then finding it difficult to see how Dyer could rise above it particularly when he doesn't possess the required experience to take on such responsibility.

Maybe years from now when he's got more substantial experience and we've parted with the owner we still got then maybe the time is right. Until then it's just not feasible it wouldn't work and would harm both Dyer's potential coaching future and ourselves as a club in whole. Had this issue some months back if correct, the reasoning and answer still remains intact.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:56 pm

Agreed. He needs to prove himself elsewhere - and even then, as BM says, returning to former clubs is often a bad move.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:07 pm

Kieron Dyer Manager of Ipswich Town would probably be a disaster for both parties I’d prefer not to find out.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:15 am

I’m hoping that Dyer isn’t considered a genuine candidate to take over. This guy needs to get his head down and learn his trade first.

I’ve a feeling if Dyer’s still in the under 23’s managers job in a year’s time then he’ll be bored and want to do something else. If he makes a genuine go of it - then good luck to him. But I have my doubts. I’m not sure he’s got the staying power to stick with it. Dyer never struck me as the managerial type. If he is - I’d prefer him to learn his trade elsewhere.

I’m not really a fan of ex-players becoming a manager here. I guess Burley brought about the last decent period we had twenty years ago before his stardust disappeared, but I fail to see why we need an ex-player as a manager. An ex-player can’t suddenly wave a magic wand and suddenly we’re transported back twenty or forty years to when they were players.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:53 pm

Would pretty much agree with all of that tang. I’m really quite fearful Evans might try to appeases the fans by eventually giving KD the reigns at ITFC along with say, Butcher. I think I would implode as it would be the final nail in this Clubs coffin.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:50 pm

To replace Lambert with Dyer would be the nail in the coffin.
If I'm being totally honest then Dyer has too much baggage and would be a massive risk which is the last thing Ipswich need at the moment.
Surprised he is even at the club in a coaching capacity at all.
Why do people get these notions in the first place.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:47 pm

He needs to prove himself elsewhere. If his heart was really in it then he would have put himself out there, managed a lower league team and worked himself in to the ground to prove himself as a manager and gain experience. He hasn't done this, so I would question his heart and commitment, we have also had nothing to gauge his ability as a manager of a senior team. It has danger written all over it.