6 Town players and Lambert test +ve for CoVid

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

Re: 6 Town players and Lambert test +ve for CoVid

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:14 pm

This intended topic has gone off on a tangent somewhere. All right Lambert may not be to everyone's liking but wish him every success in a full recovery from any virus findings. Same applies to any players concerned.

Not wishing to drag politics into it although would seem too late for it Johnson is (in fact) an American in that he was born on US soil, shouldn't be eligible for prime minister of the United Kingdom, something just doesn't sit right. Add to that he's too maverick for such an elevated position, no surprise mistakes have been made at the highest level.

Something about the French being uncivilized and ill-mannered, I don't know maybe it got lost in some of the above diatribe, but from past trips in recent years found the majority hospitable and pleasant. Biggest issue being I couldn't speak the language other than a few basic expressions and vice versa. I don't think they find the time to learn English like some other European nations. Any animosity could be FIFA, an essentially French organization that has overruled decisions such as giving World and Euro competitions to the UK. England for a World Cup bid, stuff that we'll award it to the Russians and Qatar. Can understand that.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:44 pm

Interesting thing is that a lot more teams are starting to have COVID issues over the last few weeks which chimes with the virus spreading much easier.
Jan/Feb will be interesting months ahead and could have big impact on football season again.
Probably to Ipswich's advantage with a big injury list and hopefully gives time to get players fit.
Having said that St Mirren were badly hit by COVID and a number of our players have taken a long time to get back fully fit. Although playing they haven't been 100% and its taken time to fully recover.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:38 am

Pretty strange that League 2 was not affected by COVID. I can’t see any games called off yesterday. Six games, I think, cancelled in League One. One game cancelled in the Championship. Seems like it’s only League One that is affected. I would have thought League 2 would be similarly affected.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:57 am

I think you’ll find the Covid spread in football has more to do with player discipline and club protocols than the virus itself spreading. Sunderlands outbreak for example stemmed from a player holding a Birthday party attended by virtually all the players and a further breach by the football club of EFL protocols for match day travel which is currently under investigation.

Had there been no party and no breach of EFL Covid protocols this club may well have avoided something like 15 players being affected by Covid 19.

I’m not saying this is the same for every football club that has an outbreak of Covid but it is an example of how important it is to follow the rules if you want to avoid infection.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:58 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:57 am
I think you’ll find the Covid spread in football has more to do with player discipline and club protocols than the virus itself spreading. Sunderlands outbreak for example stemmed from a player holding a Birthday party attended by virtually all the players and a further breach by the football club of EFL protocols for match day travel which is currently under investigation.

Had there been no party and no breach of EFL Covid protocols this club may well have avoided something like 15 players being affected by Covid 19.

I’m not saying this is the same for every football club that has an outbreak of Covid but it is an example of how important it is to follow the rules if you want to avoid infection.
I haven’t followed the individual cases so I can’t comment on that. Lambert wants there to be a suspension in the lower leagues because we don’t have the funding and resources that the higher leagues have. Fair enough, but when you get a full program of games in League 2 it makes you wonder if that’s the true case. And teams like Town and Sunderland should have higher resources than most in this league and definately more than L2 clubs.
We’ll see how this develops. If there’s more cases over the next week a suspension might be the only solution. Big doubts about the Fleetwood game going ahead next Saturday.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:32 pm

I’m fairly reliably informed that the EFL require away sides to use two coaches to transport players and club officials to away games under Covid rules, and that Sunderland recently broke this rule as their finances are so stretched they could only afford one bus. This I understand is the breach of rules the EFL are currently investigating and if proved could result in a fine greater than the cost of coach hire, and if true illustrates just how fragile football club finances really are.

Whilst Sunderland and Town may well have have greater resources than many of the clubs around us we probably also have higher liabilities and outgoings.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:12 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:32 pm
I’m fairly reliably informed that the EFL require away sides to use two coaches to transport players and club officials to away games under Covid rules, and that Sunderland recently broke this rule as their finances are so stretched they could only afford one bus. This I understand is the breach of rules the EFL are currently investigating and if proved could result in a fine greater than the cost of coach hire, and if true illustrates just how fragile football club finances really are.

Whilst Sunderland and Town may well have have greater resources than many of the clubs around us we probably also have higher liabilities and outgoings.
That’s interesting to know. That extra cost of a second team coach must be nothing compared to their wage bill. Good news for them is the PL has now provided handouts to EFL clubs .... and Sunderland should receive 2.8 million quid. That should help them afford a second coach.

Stepping back a bit and looking from the EFL side - they must have enormous pressure to get these games played. To do that they’ve really got to put the pressure on club’s to adhere to the regulations. And I guess the clubs themselves have to push that responsibility downwards onto the individuals - the players and staff.

I know a lot of fans are thinking this break will give us time to get key players fit, but after 3 cancelled games, I’d really like us to get back on the horse again and start playing games again. Whatever team we put out. And I guess the burden is on us to prove to the EFL that we’re unable to field a team if we want to cancel even more games. I do wonder if we try to cancel the next game what investigations or measures the EFL will take against us.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:35 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:12 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:32 pm

That’s interesting to know. That extra cost of a second team coach must be nothing compared to their wage bill. Good news for them is the PL has now provided handouts to EFL clubs .... and Sunderland should receive 2.8 million quid. That should help them afford a second coach.

Stepping back a bit and looking from the EFL side - they must have enormous pressure to get these games played. To do that they’ve really got to put the pressure on club’s to adhere to the regulations. And I guess the clubs themselves have to push that responsibility downwards onto the individuals - the players and staff.

I know a lot of fans are thinking this break will give us time to get key players fit, but after 3 cancelled games, I’d really like us to get back on the horse again and start playing games again. Whatever team we put out. And I guess the burden is on us to prove to the EFL that we’re unable to field a team if we want to cancel even more games. I do wonder if we try to cancel the next game what investigations or measures the EFL will take against us.
I agree. We will end up with even more injuries after a layoff. I'm not sure to what extent the players can train at the moment.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:02 pm

I actually think the season is going to become farcical, probably scrapping it would make the most sense.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:26 pm

Too be honest with the season more than a third complete scrapping it would be the last thing most teams need, especially the players many of whom would struggle to get match fit again. It could also prove to be a catalyst to some clubs calling it a day and going into liquidation which would be a shame so close to when all players could be vaccinated.

Time will tell but I’m hopeful the season will get finished and at least three clubs get promoted out of this dreadful league.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:20 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:26 pm
Too be honest with the season more than a third complete scrapping it would be the last thing most teams need, especially the players many of whom would struggle to get match fit again. It could also prove to be a catalyst to some clubs calling it a day and going into liquidation which would be a shame so close to when all players could be vaccinated.

Time will tell but I’m hopeful the season will get finished and at least three clubs get promoted out of this dreadful league.
I’d be very surprised if any players are vaccinated before the end of the season. They will be near the bottom of the list because of their age.

Realistically it is likely to be a year before everyone receives the vaccine.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:06 pm

Hopefully the Oxford vaccine will rolled out starting early Jan. 200,000 patients on the list in Suffolk (under the GPFed run clinics, more will be vaccinated under various other practices around Suffolk). Clinics being set up 7/7 rm 8am- 8pm every day . With 300+ clinicians being recruited to do the Jabs and hundreds of admin and other support staff being recruited also 👍🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

We’ll beat this b*stard virus .
Last edited by hallamblue on Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:04 pm

The Fleetwood game could be moved to next Tuesday.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-t ... ay-6874398

If we can get a fit enough squad together to play the match - then play the match. Last season we tried to be too clever by cancelling games ( international breaks) and it never worked.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:38 pm

Tang, do you get the feeling this season is heading for a suspension? I think the virus is escalating significantly across the Country right now. I can see a full lockdown being announced this week tbh. Football will be ( rightly IMO), put on the back burner.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:53 pm

It should be because it's becoming a lottery

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:24 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:20 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:26 pm

I’d be very surprised if any players are vaccinated before the end of the season. They will be near the bottom of the list because of their age.

Realistically it is likely to be a year before everyone receives the vaccine.

I was thinking along the lines of the EPL acquiring the vaccine privately in the same way they acquired test kits for players early on in the pandemic. Their justification being the amount of foreign travel involved for players in European Competitions and the forthcoming European Championships. It certainly wouldn’t come as any great surprise.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:26 pm

I would just like to know how people cant travel across different level tiers to see loved ones but football clubs can do wtf they like, it really is a disgrace.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:03 am

I thought anyone could cross different Tiers to get to their place of work ?.... There are also strict travel protocols and PCR testing before and after games which is why there’s such high number of positive test results in the football world. I don’t think it’s just footballers either, I believe exceptions are in place for all elite sportsmen and sports women including elite amateurs.

I don’t see footballers being a risk whilst they’re under the supervision of their management, where footballers become a risk is when they have to think and make decisions for themselves.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:59 pm

I think Big Sam has called it right, football probably needs a Covid circuit break for two to four weeks.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:42 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:59 pm
I think Big Sam has called it right, football probably needs a Covid circuit break for two to four weeks.
Just making light of, but not taking anything away from a very concerning situation. Our local baker (not a fan of big Sam) jokingly said it's funny how he comments after a serious tonking at home to Leeds and not in the days following a battling result (which might have shown there was fight in his squad) against Liverpool. :lol:

I do agree with Sam's views for the record.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:44 pm

I would go further & say at least 6-8 weeks, but that would probaly jeopardize the whole season.

As far as I am concerned, the rate at which this covid is spreading along with the government's measures to contain it will mean that football (along with other sports) pales into insignificance in the grand scheme of things. Despite the vaccines now available, the time it will take for them to be given and hopefully work is several months away.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:32 pm

You’re not wrong there Billy I fear.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:16 pm

Given the amount of money the Premier League spend on PCR tests, wouldn’t it make sense for them to source vaccine shots at just £3 a pop and get the club doctors to administer them. Surely they could also source a significant supply for their local community to make it a worthy project. Another possibility would be for each EPL team to supply vaccines for players at at least two clubs each in EFL leagues 1 & 2.

This suggestion assumes no shortage of vaccine supplies and roll out delays relating only to administration and resources.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:49 am

Charnwood it would make sense but there are two factors counting against:

1. There is a shortage of vaccines at the moment as production continues. Are footballers our biggest priority?
2. There is actually not yet conclusive evidence that the vaccine prevents transmission, although logically some of the vaccines should.

Even here in Dubai where the private hospitals would normally be profiteering from the vaccine they are not being allowed to source and sell it, a clear indication that supply is short and it's critical to get it to the most vulnerable first.

Giving club doctors the training and supplies to administer it faster to vulnerable members of the general population, now that would make sense.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:03 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:49 am
Charnwood it would make sense but there are two factors counting against:

1. There is a shortage of vaccines at the moment as production continues. Are footballers our biggest priority?
2. There is actually not yet conclusive evidence that the vaccine prevents transmission, although logically some of the vaccines should.

Even here in Dubai where the private hospitals would normally be profiteering from the vaccine they are not being allowed to source and sell it, a clear indication that supply is short and it's critical to get it to the most vulnerable first.

Giving club doctors the training and supplies to administer it faster to vulnerable members of the general population, now that would make sense.

My proposal assumed no shortage of supply, if there is it most certainly shouldn’t be wasted on footballers and if that’s the case it would make sense for professional football to take a circuit break for the whole of January.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:27 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:04 pm

If we can get a fit enough squad together to play the match - then play the match. Last season we tried to be too clever by cancelling games ( international breaks) and it never worked.
Been moved to Monday at 7.45pm

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:26 pm
I would just like to know how people cant travel across different level tiers to see loved ones but football clubs can do wtf they like, it really is a disgrace.
Football being on is helping mental health for many who are stuck in the house. Gives them something to look forward too.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:59 pm

I think supporting Ipswich causes mental health issues not help them

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:13 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:27 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:04 pm

Been moved to Monday at 7.45pm
Now it is off again. Fleetwood have been struck by Covid.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:30 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:49 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:26 pm
Football being on is helping mental health for many who are stuck in the house. Gives them something to look forward too.
Like contracting covid, you mean.