Ipswich Town vs Swindon Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How will the long gap in playing affect us?

Ipswich Win
87%
Swindon Win
13%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 15

ipswichtownNo1

Re: Ipswich Town vs Swindon Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:20 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:19 pm
Nice one judgey. Methinks a bit too late
Yes too late, but judge deserved that

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:21 pm

Well done Alan Judge very good assist from Norwood.

How many times has Andre Dozzell given possession away.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:22 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:21 pm

Agreed, a very poor performance from him today

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:28 pm

Absolutely shocking result after such a long lay-off, and at Portman Road (if that matters)
Absolutely feckin shocking.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:30 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:22 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:21 pm

Agreed, a very poor performance from him today
Definitely overated how many assists has he got for all his so called great passing

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:33 pm

How much longer are we going to put up with this sh*t. Utter sh*t. Marcus evans needs to sort this decline that has been happening since he took charge. Awards lambert a 5 year contract. f**king 5 years!!! For doing what?? I wish my customers employed me for doing less than f*ck all. Lambert has no f**king clue, sticks with a stupid formation and playing style in league fuckin 1 instead of doing the basics right. We are not man city or barcelona. 1 up front at home against swindon who shop goals for fun. WHAT A d*ck. ive had it. f*ck off marcus evans and f*ck off lambert

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:33 pm

Just seeing out the last few moments although time may be up when finished posting. Unless something miraculous happens in the time remaining we're going to lose. Point being I really expected to beat these today. They're a poor team and occupy the bottom place/s of the league so how is it we've let in three goals at home and on the verge of defeat right now.

That's it time is up took a glance and the game is finished. Would like to hear what Lambert has to say on the latest debacle but how many would really be prepared to listen. Ten points off the top and as for promotion, it's bullshit isn't it ? Not going to happen you got to be a realist here.

Poor starting formation did us in from the start, we always going to be at a disadvantage.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:45 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:33 pm
How much longer are we going to put up with this sh*t. Utter sh*t. Marcus evans needs to sort this decline that has been happening since he took charge. Awards lambert a 5 year contract. f**king 5 years!!! For doing what?? I wish my customers employed me for doing less than f*ck all. Lambert has no f**king clue, sticks with a stupid formation and playing style in league fuckin 1 instead of doing the basics right. We are not man city or barcelona. 1 up front at home against swindon who shop goals for fun. WHAT A d*ck. ive had it. f*ck off marcus evans and f*ck off lambert
Couldn't have put it better myself. Agreed 100% 👍

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:49 pm

Like Groundhog day! I feel truly sorry for a whole generation of younger supporters who have been starved of any real reason to get excited. Apart from play-off Semi final heartbreak under McCarthy, you probably need to go back to the days of Joe Royle to the last time we enjoyed a modicum of real excitement! That really is shocking in my eyes!

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:57 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:45 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Perfectly put

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:57 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Agreed also. Why the f*ck are we thinking we can pass ourselves a goal in League One. Christ- the level in League One is sh*t, but other teams must love us..... we’re so easy to work out. We seem to think we’re a PL side when we’re not.

Not being arrogant,but our players here are far better than most and we’re getting so little from them.

I’ve no faith at all in the management here.... just clueless.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:20 pm

Another rubbish game from a largely rubbish team prepared by a very poor manager who clearly has lost the plot. For the sake of ITFC he should have the decency to resign. He has been given his chances & sadly come up short. There is no way I can see him changing tactics or inspiring a very mediocre squad (with one or to exceptions).

I listened to it on the radio and thoroughly enjoyed Stuart Jarrold's late stand-in performance. Much, much better than the normal commentator. As usual, the phone-in was hilarious. All experts of course.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:30 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:20 pm
Another rubbish game from a largely rubbish team prepared by a very poor manager who clearly has lost the plot. For the sake of ITFC he should have the decency to resign. He has been given his chances & sadly come up short. There is no way I can see him changing tactics or inspiring a very mediocre squad (with one or to exceptions).

I listened to it on the radio and thoroughly enjoyed Stuart Jarrold's late stand-in performance. Much, much better than the normal commentator. As usual, the phone-in was hilarious. All experts of course.
Surely a phone in is not different to people posting on a forum?

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:46 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:57 pm
Blue Wilf wrote:
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Agreed also. Why the f*ck are we thinking we can pass ourselves a goal in League One. Christ- the level in League One is sh*t, but other teams must love us..... we’re so easy to work out. We seem to think we’re a PL side when we’re not.

Not being arrogant,but our players here are far better than most and we’re getting so little from them.

I’ve no faith at all in the management here.... just clueless.
Agree with what you say Mr Tang apart from the players here are better. Sorry the likes of Huws, Judge, Toto & Donacien are crap Dozzell , Downes, Wolfenden are overated. Chambers, Ward & Skuse are passed it. Holy and Cornell are suspect so what does that leave you? Kids and Norwood, Jackson, Bishop, Edwards and a sh*t manager.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:50 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:30 pm
barmy billy wrote:

100% correct on the phone-in

I thought there was a complete lack of urgency in the first half and no tempo to Ipswich play.
I agree with folks on the number of passes as opposed to getting the ball forward at this level, however I have read so many times on this forum that that was not the style of play required at Ipswich ??
Not enough coming from the wide players.
Norwood and Downes made a difference when they came on, IMO should have started and got the team on the front foot and withdraw later when tired .
Dozzell looks lightweight to me and gave away a lot of possession, very slack and needs a rocket from the sideline.
2 class goals from Swindon. At 1-1 Ipswich had the game in there grasp but defence giving too much time for the Swindon player to crack in the second.
Poor performance, long time out of action though, few players due back from injury, reasonable run of fixtures but huge improvement needed all round on tonight

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:57 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:50 pm
Tinytown wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:30 pm
barmy billy wrote:

100% correct on the phone-in

I thought there was a complete lack of urgency in the first half and no tempo to Ipswich play.
I agree with folks on the number of passes as opposed to getting the ball forward at this level, however I have read so many times on this forum that that was not the style of play required at Ipswich ??
Not enough coming from the wide players.
Norwood and Downes made a difference when they came on, IMO should have started and got the team on the front foot and withdraw later when tired .
Dozzell looks lightweight to me and gave away a lot of possession, very slack and needs a rocket from the sideline.
2 class goals from Swindon. At 1-1 Ipswich had the game in there grasp but defence giving too much time for the Swindon player to crack in the second.
Poor performance, long time out of action though, few players due back from injury, reasonable run of fixtures but huge improvement needed all round on tonight
Spot on re dozzell, so many wasted passes or possesion given away by slack passing tonight

doobs

Post by doobs » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:15 pm

my thoughts

1. I honestly think the players still think even now they are too good (which clearly they are not)/don't belong in league 1
2. What really annoys me though with Mr Lambert is that when he was appointed he repeatedly stated he wanted to play front foot football - seems not as we now consistently play 4-5-1 (or according to the Club 4-3-3) which not only does not work but is so boring/slow. 1 up front at home against p*ss poor teams in an equally p*ss poor league - we will not get out of this division unless we go back to 4-4-2 or ditch the manager or preferably both but we all know that is not going to happen either quickly or at all

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:22 am

Lambert had clearly lost the dressing room and has done so for weeks.

Just sack him Evans, oh, and do us all a big favour and sell up .

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:18 am

just what I expected, and I've said time and time again that we do not have the players for 4-2-3-1.

It's getting embarrassing being an Ipswich fan and constantly having to watch the crap being dished up by Lambert and his miserable band.

What gets me most is many on here saying the football has improved under Lambert - for me watching an endless barrage of sideways and backwards tippy-tappy football with no pace and no idea of how to get the ball forward is sooooooo boring - at least with MM's brand of hoofball the ball was often in the opponents third of the pitch.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:37 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:18 am
just what I expected, and I've said time and time again that we do not have the players for 4-2-3-1.

It's getting embarrassing being an Ipswich fan and constantly having to watch the crap being dished up by Lambert and his miserable band.

What gets me most is many on here saying the football has improved under Lambert - for me watching an endless barrage of sideways and backwards tippy-tappy football with no pace and no idea of how to get the ball forward is sooooooo boring - at least with MM's brand of hoofball the ball was often in the opponents third of the pitch.
I was encouraged by the first few games of the season in that we seemed to be playing better football, but pretty quickly teams worked us out. Just stood back, squeezed the midfield and let our defenders and deep midfielders play the ball backwards and sidewards. Any player of any quality can pass sideways, especially when the opposition allows them to do that. They know they’re likely to get the ball after 10 or 20 passes and are ready to counter-attack. Yesterday we had 63% of the possession, yet Swindon looked far more threatening and deserved to win. It’s bloody frustrating and pointless tactics. And yet we do the same thing every game.
Lambert should be embarrassed by the type of football we’re producing. It’s not working and it doesn’t suit the players here.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:54 am

Wanted to post, just do not know where to start!

Ok, i guess i have always tried to be as positive about ITFC as I can. Have always tried to get behind the manager, when others have long since 'abandoned ship', Paul Lambert included. Even now, though my patience is running as thin as fibre optic cable, i still hope that there is hope out there. Maybe that single signing that can help transform us, getting that near fully fit team back (sadly highly unlikely), just some little chink of light, somewhere.

Look, i went to bed feeling totally miserable last night and ITFC were the straw that broke that camel's back. I have to face it that the squad named for yesterdays match should have been very capable of winning that game. Norwood, Downes and Nsiala, while needing game time, all named in the team. All three, significant players down the spine of the team. The starting 11 should have been playing for their future spot, because those aforementioned players will be regular starters (fitness allowing), meaning 3 of the 10 outfield starters will lose their place, potentially long term. Even the threat of competition does not seem to raise any players games. Because i try to support a manager, it doesn't mean they don't frustrate me, that i cannot see what i (and others) deem to be their failings! PL appears to be his own worst enemy, by insisting on playing 'his' formation, despite selecting players who seem incapable of playing it. I feel if he could try other formations and hold his hands up and say when he has got it wrong, this might help his cause!

If i am looking for excuses, yes our two most creative players (Bishop & Edwards) are still absent, possibly the 4-3-3 can work with those two, as they give us something different, especially in a team with a fit Downes and Norwood. There's also KVY, Nolan & Sears to come back, albeit i sadly see little chance of Sears making a difference anymore. So yes, perhaps stupidly (perhaps pathetically in some eyes) i still see a chink of light. That said, perhaps too many fans have turned already and (like MM's situation when i was still trying to find a positive) now the situation is nigh on irretrievable
?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:21 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:54 am

Ok, i guess i have always tried to be as positive about ITFC as I can. Have always tried to get behind the manager, when others have long since 'abandoned ship', Paul Lambert included. Even now, though my patience is running as thin as fibre optic cable, i still hope that there is hope out there. Maybe that single signing that can help transform us, getting that near fully fit team back (sadly highly unlikely), just some little chink of light, somewhere.

Look, i went to bed feeling totally miserable last night and ITFC were the straw that broke that camel's back. I have to face it that the squad named for yesterdays match should have been very capable of winning that game. Norwood, Downes and Nsiala, while needing game time, all named in the team. All three, significant players down the spine of the team. The starting 11 should have been playing for their future spot, because those aforementioned players will be regular starters (fitness allowing), meaning 3 of the 10 outfield starters will lose their place, potentially long term. Even the threat of competition does not seem to raise any players games. Because i try to support a manager, it doesn't mean they don't frustrate me, that i cannot see what i (and others) deem to be their failings! PL appears to be his own worst enemy, by insisting on playing 'his' formation, despite selecting players who seem incapable of playing it. I feel if he could try other formations and hold his hands up and say when he has got it wrong, this might help his cause!

If i am looking for excuses, yes our two most creative players (Bishop & Edwards) are still absent, possibly the 4-3-3 can work with those two, as they give us something different, especially in a team with a fit Downes and Norwood. There's also KVY, Nolan & Sears to come back, albeit i sadly see little chance of Sears making a difference anymore. So yes, perhaps stupidly (perhaps pathetically in some eyes) i still see a chink of light. That said, perhaps too many fans have turned already and (like MM's situation when i was still trying to find a positive) now the situation is nigh on irretrievable
?
Mark, without any fans in the stadium then Lambert’s having an easy ride. Can you imagine the atmosphere in the stadium with 15000-20000 fans? It would be incredibly toxic. If this continues and we’re still stuck in League One, then I would expect the season ticket sales to drop massively.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:31 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:21 am
AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:54 am

?
Mark, without any fans in the stadium then Lambert’s having an easy ride. Can you imagine the atmosphere in the stadium with 15000-20000 fans? It would be incredibly toxic. If this continues and we’re still stuck in League One, then I would expect the season ticket sales to drop massively.
This is killing the club. Its going in the same direction as MM. I think its too early to be sacking Lambert. Get to the end of the season then take stock.
For the moment 100% get behind him and the team, get over the COVID situation which isn't overnight, hope the injury situation clears up and get the best players on the park. Ipswich are still in contention and are not out of it. Top 2 is not going to happen IMO but still capable of top 6 spot. I know to many it looks naive but what is the alternative.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:40 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:22 am
Lambert had clearly lost the dressing room and has done so for weeks.

Just sack him Evans, oh, and do us all a big favour and sell up .
I don't think he has lost the dressing room. The last 20 mins of last nights match demonstrated that to me.

Evans has invested 100 million in the club. He'll sell up when he gets an acceptable offer.
Also be careful what you wish for as Wigan and Sheff Wednesday have found to their cost. Seeling up is not easy and getting the right investor is every bit as difficult. I'm sure Marcus Evans wants out as soon as he can but he has the right to get the correct deal for both himself and the club

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:44 am

I can see we are all pretty depressed after yesterdays unexpected outcome. But we are not even half way through the season yet so no need to panic. On the positive side we got some game time into the legs of Norwood & Downes yesterday and Norwood scored. With a number of influential players coming into fitness in the coming weeks we might not see the team back to the heights of the first few weeks of the season for a few games yet but surely we can get a result in the next game to keep us in touch?

I'll be honest I thought last night's game would be a banker so I'm just a despondent as we are all are. But all is far from lost yet.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:54 am

Rossi, I was one of those who early doors thought we were playing better football this season, like Tang has said that evaporated a few weeks ago when I crossed over to the Lambert out camp, he has without question lost the plot, he's clueless in his team selection even taking into account injuries, his tactics are as wrong as they can be and his substitutions often beggar belief, whether he has lost the dressing room or not is irrelevant because he has lost the large majority of the fans and it is that and that alone that holds away, he will go because of that so it needs to be now !!

As Tang said imagine if we had a crowd in there ? I've lived through the toxic sh*te once both home and away and this would be the same, if not worse, the fact I'm glad I can't go to game's atm says it all, its frightening and the club needs to act when people who normally do 46 game's home and away come what may stop giving a sh*t !!!! IPSWICH TIL I DIE

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:49 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:44 am
I can see we are all pretty depressed after yesterdays unexpected outcome. But we are not even half way through the season yet so no need to panic. On the positive side we got some game time into the legs of Norwood & Downes yesterday and Norwood scored. With a number of influential players coming into fitness in the coming weeks we might not see the team back to the heights of the first few weeks of the season for a few games yet but surely we can get a result in the next game to keep us in touch?

I'll be honest I thought last night's game would be a banker so I'm just a despondent as we are all are. But all is far from lost yet.
I wish I could share your optimism DB, but sadly, even with players back I think the tactics/style of play will consign us to mid-table at best come the end of the season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:59 pm

Are you honestly saying the fans discontent is killing the club, Valleyroad? :lol:
And the fans aren’t even there! :lol: :lol:

Like you, (I assume) I rely on press match reports and I read on average, 3 reports from every game. What reports are you reading? What is giving you this “take stock til the end of season” idea?

Are you of the thinking that sacking Mick McCarthy was the sole reason that Ipswich were relegated? Nothing to do with Paul Hurst? (Port Vale 3 Grimsby 0)
Are you fearing League Two if Lambert is sacked?

Regardless of the “fears”, things need to change very soon.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:54 am
Rossi, I was one of those who early doors thought we were playing better football this season, like Tang has said that evaporated a few weeks ago when I crossed over to the Lambert out camp, he has without question lost the plot, he's clueless in his team selection even taking into account injuries, his tactics are as wrong as they can be and his substitutions often beggar belief, whether he has lost the dressing room or not is irrelevant because he has lost the large majority of the fans and it is that and that alone that holds away, he will go because of that so it needs to be now !!

As Tang said imagine if we had a crowd in there ? I've lived through the toxic sh*te once both home and away and this would be the same, if not worse, the fact I'm glad I can't go to game's atm says it all, its frightening and the club needs to act when people who normally do 46 game's home and away come what may stop giving a sh*t !!!! IPSWICH TIL I DIE
so as far as I can see, the tactics have not changed all season - therefore if we were playing good football at the start of the season but not of late, and we're using the same tactics, then what has gone wrong and why? PL MUST have lost the dressing room as far as I'm concerned, there's no other explanation.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:38 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:59 pm
Are you honestly saying the fans discontent is killing the club, Valleyroad? :lol:
And the fans aren’t even there! :lol: :lol:

Like you, (I assume) I rely on press match reports and I read on average, 3 reports from every game. What reports are you reading? What is giving you this “take stock til the end of season” idea?

Are you of the thinking that sacking Mick McCarthy was the sole reason that Ipswich were relegated? Nothing to do with Paul Hurst? (Port Vale 3 Grimsby 0)
Are you fearing League Two if Lambert is sacked?

Regardless of the “fears”, things need to change very soon.
No what I'm saying is that level of abuse which Lambert has referred to himself and the idea if fans were in the ground of how toxic the situation would be is not good and is killing the club. Its a legacy from the MM era also where the atmosphere was toxic.
I'm fully aware of Hurst and his input to relegation. MM was one of the best Championship managers around and getting rid of him was not wise but so be it it happened.
What I'm saying is that the club should and will give Lambert till the end of the season when everything has played out, COVID, injuries etc and then take stock across the club and then make a decision. Evans may already be planning for Lambert not being here next season.
Ipswich won't go down to League Two if Lambert goes but with a good bit of the season still to play and clearing of injuries to key players I wouldn't rule out scrapping top 6 place.
Changing manager constantly is not good either.

I get Ipswich have had a nightmare time over the last few season but getting out of League One is not a walk in the park as many other bigger clubs than Ipswich have found.

In fact St Mirren is a classic example of it, we had loads of fans on the forum all clamouring for Jim Goodwins sacking 2-3 months ago which was just ludicrous. Now we have had 1 defeat in 12 matches and are in a League Cup semi and may get HIBS in the final :lol: