Ipswich Town vs Swindon Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How will the long gap in playing affect us?

Ipswich Win
87%
Swindon Win
13%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 15

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Swindon Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:34 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:21 am
I’ve just listened to the EADT’s podcast ( I think made on Monday) and they’re getting a lot of pressure to officially call for Lambert’s head. But they don’t want to do that yet, based on previously doing that over 10 years ago when the paper was calling for Jim’s head ( and opening the door for Keane). That back-fired disastrously. But the EADT team are receiving quite a lot of criticism from some fans for not calling for Lambert’s sacking. They seem to be very conscious of not sticking the boot in, but you get the impression there’s discontent behind the scenes at PR.
That’s very interesting. They must be remembering their lack of “hindsight” from those years ago as you say (king C*nt etc)
Wow.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:43 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:03 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:23 am
I think it’s gaining momentum now tang. IF the players are against him they could force the issue now on the pitch couldn’t they.
That would be unforgivable Liz, whatever your view. And hardly the way to endear yourself to any incoming manager either.

They may or may not like the boss but they are under contract and getting paid a nice income. They should always give their best, even if the tactics that they are instructed to play are not what they consider to be the best.
Yep, spot on. Regardless of the managers decisions, the players should toe the line. Too many lower level players may possibly be copying the behaviour of the Paul Pogbas of the world.
Completely unacceptable.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:25 pm

In a perverse way, Covid has actually helped PL's position.
Last season was cut short, when this suggested contract clause based on final league placing could have been triggered.

The games being called off in December certainly bought him some time to get the likes of Norwood, Downes and Nsiala nearer match fit, as none of them would have been ready to face Posh, Northampton and Fleetwood.

Also there was talk of a protest taking place at the Swindon game, which lockdown put a stop to actually happening.

There is unlikely to be any fans back in the ground for a few weeks to vent their feelings. In ways i am glad of that last point, if PL is ever going to miraculously get us performing decently again, with fit returning players and new signings ( :lol: ), this really is his very last chance saloon. Once any number of fans return PR is going to be a horrible place if we are still on a downward slide.
Much of the above could also be applied to ME, the club are effectively saving money (in terms of not having 2k paid up season ticket holders to steward). One thing that is going to cost the club and that is good will. If fans feel their frustrations are not being heard, listened to or even acted on, it will leave further bad feeling towards the club and ME. Indeed the true telling time will be just before/ when those 2021/22 season ticket prospectuses go out. Even if miracles happen and we finish strongly under PL, there is going to be a lot of hesitancy among many fans to renew while Lambert is still at the club, such is the damage already caused.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:51 pm

The ONLY way things will settle down for both Evans and Lambert is for Town to be promoted this season. Otherwise the unrest will grow IMHO.

With all players back fit , Lambert should be able to get us into the PO’s at least. If he doesn’t then he’s shot himself in the foot and that’ll be him gone. He just has t9 hope the players are still with him....I’m just not so sure now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:17 pm

There is an expectation marker that keeps getting moved.

“Ok..... Swindon game.....”

Failed

“Ok, give him the window.......”

“Ok...... Burton game......”

FFS, just get rid of the useless bstd.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:42 pm

This, over & over again.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:50 pm

Couldn’t agree with you all, more. But with the level of injuries and CoVid disruption to fixtures, Lambert as plausible deniability doesn’t he....and and Evans certainly appears “ fair” to his manager but making these allowances. But like you, I wish we’d just get shot....