Do you think you would still become an Ipswich supporter/follower now?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

AzzurroMark

Do you think you would still become an Ipswich supporter/follower now?

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:15 pm

I am just interested to know how many of you think you would still become an Ipswich supporter/follower in the modern day? There is a bigger point to this question, in that I am concerned how ITFC are going to attract new fans, following years of decline, and amidst a media who often seem to consider that nothing below the top flight really exists! Will we still attract such a diverse support across the world, as we have now? So go back to all the external influences which first attracted you to being a Blues fan and try to answer honestly. Agreed that the limitations that we are using an older point of view to look at modern day mind. Are we a dying club, in terms of supporter appeal?

For me personally, there were no family influences to any football team, a couple of members who followed Norwich, but nothing more. I grew up within 10 miles of Norwich, however this was during the great Ipswich days under Bobby Robson. In my year group, most boys were into Liverpool, Arsenal or Ipswich. Many of the Ipswich fans I knew (and still know) did not have any family influencers, but were basically glory hunters. A few changed allegiances to wear yellow, but there still is a very hardcore (albeit small) Ipswich support among my age group in my local area. Sadly, I fail to see that any of them would become a childhood Tractor Boy based on the fare served up over the last few years (I know it has been a lot longer, but trying to look at it from a younger point of view, after all, it was probably only from about 1978 that particularly hooked me.

Therefore I have to say, based on the last 3 seasons, I would probably have become a Norwich fan (where's that soapy water?) or Liverpool!

rossi

Re: Do you think you would still become an Ipswich supporter/follower now?

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:13 pm

Good question.

My Dad's family is from Felixstowe - when my Dad took me to my first game (in 1960), he had moved to Essex but still went regularly home. So I guess you could say that Ipswich chose me, rather than the other way, and I guess that will be the same for most whose parents still take them to games. But if there were no family ties and I was younger, I doubt I would support a team not in London. And if I had young kids now, I certainly wouldn't want to subject them to the boring rubbish being played at Portman Road of late.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:00 pm

I would support them, but I'm guessing less so, and there's a good chance I'd support a Premiership team and have Town as more of a second team I'd keep an eye on. Sad reality.

It's been my biggest worry through this whole period. A club can survive maybe 4 or 5 bad seasons without lasting damage, but any longer and you potentially miss a generation of supporters, who in turn won't introduce the club to their kids in future, it could be massively damaging. I was amazed and pleased to see the crowd numbers at the start of last season, but am pretty pessimistic when looking at the team on the pitch and hearing Evans' drivel of a 'plan'.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:54 pm

I only became a fan of ITFC due to being in London at FA CUP time and seeing the yellow crest on banners. Loved it. And followed ever since. Was nothing to do with the team. Was just an excellent coincidence that the team were just starting to be “great”.

To answer the question....... never been one to be a glory hunter, so yes it’s possible that I’d be an Ipswich fan although I definitely doubt it.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:14 pm

I was a Liverpool fan as a child, but at the age of 8 I started supporting Ipswich. I've now been a fan almost 50 years. I CAN'T imagine ITFC is attractive to many young supporters without a family connection. Don't forget we also have the infamous 9-0 defeat record thanks to ManU.

Speaking of that result, I met Bryan Robson and Andy Cole last year at a ManU supporter's club event. I told Andy I was an Ipswich fans, and he raised his eyebrows and said IPSWICH??? We both had a good laugh. I suppose you have to have a good sense of humour to be an Ipswich fan. :lol:

*major typo corrected! :lol:
Last edited by number 9 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:16 pm

Not only a good sense of humour but a good memory. When I'm on holiday and people ask as they do who do you support. When I say Ipswich they always respond in the same way. They start naming the Ipswich greats, Muhren, Mariner, Wark. You find yourself joining in remembering the good old days. Even Burley and finishing 5th in the Prem gets a mention. Now unfortunately you don't want to remember this lot they are so poor. Sad as I am.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:17 pm

Every time I see Andy Cole’s name, I think of the guy who had his full thigh tattooed with Cole in Newcastle attire........ then was transferred the very next week to Manure. :lol: :lol: :lol: What a fkn bellend.

Not only did this guy make this mistake, but he ALSO went to the press with it. 🤦‍♂️🤣

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:32 pm

Been with it since the end years of the 1970's. Seen just about everything bar the winning the League Championship (wasn't part of the '62 success) and a number of setbacks and horrors with it.

When was the last time this club was an attractive proposition or pleasure to watch, I'd argue around the turn of the millennium with George, you don't have to go back 20 years in Europe to include it. Kids today will go out and purchase a Juventus strip or something, they may know zero about the team/ club history but C Ronaldo gets his image everywhere, you want to follow the crowd. Just one example.

Very few would take to supporting the club now as a first choice unless you were born or lived in the actual vicinity. A team that's done next to nothing for 15 years except watch a succession of sorry-as* tried and failed team coaches come and go and very little in the time to get excited about. Just took up interest at the right stage when the team was coming on leaps and bounds with Rob Robson and it went from there. I think if had waited a few years up to say 1984 when the team was on a clear decline it wouldn't have happened. Just all hindsight and things, would I change now, hell no it's been a part of existence long enough.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:25 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:16 pm
Not only a good sense of humour but a good memory. When I'm on holiday and people ask as they do who do you support. When I say Ipswich they always respond in the same way. They start naming the Ipswich greats, Muhren, Mariner, Wark. You find yourself joining in remembering the good old days. Even Burley and finishing 5th in the Prem gets a mention. Now unfortunately you don't want to remember this lot they are so poor. Sad as I am.
I know how you feel, Tinytown. I've been in the US almost 40 years, and it gets harder and harder every year to tell people the English soccer team I support. :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:30 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:17 pm
Every time I see Andy Cole’s name, I think of the guy who had his full thigh tattooed with Cole in Newcastle attire........ then was transferred the very next week to Manure. :lol: :lol: :lol: What a fkn bellend.

Not only did this guy make this mistake, but he ALSO went to the press with it. 🤦‍♂️🤣
I didn't know that! That's hilarious...I wish I would have known so I could of mentioned it:
"Well ya know Andy, being an Ipswich fan isn't as funny as c*ck getting a team tattoo and then getting transferred!" :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:37 pm

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:17 pm

100 % I I would, Ipswich born and bred.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:17 pm
100 % I I would, Ipswich born and bred.
Quite right!! 👍👌👏👏👏

Edinburgh, born & bred. Never catch me on a train to Glasgow to watch the green equivalent. Glory hunting bastards.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:35 pm

Grew up in Luton and supported them passionately as a kid. Aged 18 moved to Southwold and still followed Luton’s fortunes but no longer watched them. Played a bit and lost touch with watching professional football. Because of its geography, the locals in Southwold were split between a Norwich and Ipswich.
Started watching Ipswich when my younger son wanted to go - he was about 8 at the time. Was married by then and lived about 18 miles from Ipswich as I still do. This was about 18 years ago. Been a regular season ticket holder ever since. And yes, I still would be an Ipswich fan. It’s all about geography really. Never been one to follow a big club. I actually started watching Luton the season after they were relegated from the old first division - 1960 I think. Don’t think I’ve ever been to a top flight match in my life

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:15 pm

Lol! Imagine all the Trump tattoos suffering the same fate! :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:24 am

Andym wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:35 pm
. Because of its geography, the locals in Southwold were split between a Norwich and Ipswich.
That is where we will lose fans, places like Diss, Lowestoft, Thetford etc. Towns where there is a balance between Ipswich and Norwich fans, but i'd imagine new fans naturally will sway towards following the more successful team, sadly (and i hate to say it) Norwich would be the more appealing option over recent seasons.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:45 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:13 pm
Good question.

My Dad's family is from Felixstowe - when my Dad took me to my first game (in 1960), he had moved to Essex but still went regularly home. So I guess you could say that Ipswich chose me, rather than the other way, and I guess that will be the same for most whose parents still take them to games. But if there were no family ties and I was younger, I doubt I would support a team not in London. And if I had young kids now, I certainly wouldn't want to subject them to the boring rubbish being played at Portman Road of late.

That is probably the biggest concern, as i'd imagine a lot of (smaller in particular) clubs rely heavily on generational support, where parents take their children to a game and potentially introduce new lifelong supporters. Once those fans are lost they are less likely to ever walk through the Portman Road turnstiles. All this and without the fact that there will be households out there who cannot justify the expense, but that is a totally different argument.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:39 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:15 pm
Lol! Imagine all the Trump tattoos suffering the same fate! :lol:
:shock: Someone being a Trump supporter is one serious issue........ having orange Jesus tattooed on the body??? :shock:
That’s serious psychiatric help issues.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:48 pm

If my situation was the same now as it was in 1959/60 when I first went to Portman Road to support my home town team then I’m sure I would still become an Ipswich Town supporter because which league they played in or how good they were was irrelevant. To be honest they will always be my home town team and always the team I support whenever asked, even though Ipswich is more than 1300 miles from where I now live.

Since leaving Ipswich I’ve always had a second string team I follow which has usually been close to wherever home is, or a team sponsored by mine or my wife’s employer. My second team followed so far has been Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, Leicester City and Nottingham Forest and is currently Liverpool. I’ve twice lived in Norwich but following Norwich City was a step too far. The first time I was there I was still playing for my village team in the Norwich & District League and the second time travelled each game to Portman Road.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:31 pm

Interesting you should mention Nottingham Forest, Charnwood because had Ipswich NOT been in the '78 Cup Final, I'd have definitely linked up with Forest after watching the final v Malmo in '79. That entire pre game, game and post game on TV was a viewing spectacle back in the day. McGovern lifting that trophy is indeed iconic.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:33 am

I enjoyed watching Forest in the Cloughy days too but didn’t look upon them as my “second team” until we moved to Nottingham. My wife was working for the Nottingham Building Society who sponsored their Academy ( my wife was the relationship contact with the club) and with it came a number of perks, like a box which I was always given use of when Forest played Town and decent seat tickets for every home game.
I spent my career with Alliance & Leicester Building Society and we were the main sponsors of Leicester City where we had a box which I had regular access too, so we could feast out on football and of course rugby watching Leicester Tigers who we also sponsored. Luckily when I was moved from Leeds to our HQ in Leicester we moved house to a small village with easy access to both Nottingham and Leicester.
Before that when I was in London we had a box at the old Highbury Stadium so I got to watch the Arsenal quite a few times although as you can imagine that box was in high demand with one very senior guy in particular who used it himself every game. Selfish bugger!... and not a very nice guy either which put some of us off going unless he was away.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:54 am

When I was a kid, 10-11years old, I was “ going out” with my neighbours son ha ha...we became “ supporters” of Liverpool. In the days of Stevie Highway, John Toshack and Crazy Horse...they were THE team in England at that time. I could name all the LFC first team, I was that into them. Then my young boyfriend said , “I’m going to watch Ipswich tonight do you want to come with me ....”? ....it was 1969, and we lost 1-0 to Derby County. It was under the PR lights, and we stood at the front of the North Stand. My “education” in football stadium language and black humour had begun. And as the Izal toilet roll whizzed over my head from the back of the stand onto the pitch, I was hooked on the strangely intoxicating atmosphere to live football games at PR. From that point on I never missed a game.

But as a kid I was torn , between my local Club, ITFC and the mighty Reds. I used to do a paper round, and often would have to miss part of the second half to get back to deliver the “ Green ‘Un”, ( football newspaper). Sometimes I was so engrossed in the game I didn’t make it back to the paper shop. I was given a warning...” you miss the next Saturdays Green ‘Un deliveries you’ll be sacked,” the owner told me. The following Saturday we played Liverpool FC at PR! Sunday morning I handed in my paper bag lol. But 8 didn’t care , I was one of SBR’s army of fans as he began his managerial career, and embarked upon a fantastic journey of exhilarating football....winning the Texaco Cup at Carrott Roood initially, culminating in the UEFA Cup ... what a brilliant , brilliant period of time to be a Town fan. I was SO proud to say I was an Ipswich fan. Everyone knew our side and of the style of football we played. We had an identity. I no longer supported Liverpool. Why would I, Town were better , and MY Team.

Fast forward ..would I support Town if I was a youngster now? I think I would be going to the matches ( assuming no CoVid), purely because they are on my doorstep, but u suspect I’d be a fan of one of the big PL clubs too. Possibly Liverpool again or dare I say it Man City, purely based on the quality of football these teams play, and I could see them in tv most weeks .

The question about our Club dying as an attraction to prospective young fans is actually happening. Scum are already infiltrating Suffolk schools to steal potentially good young players, and as has been said, any potential young fan base in towns/ villages in the north of the county boarding Norfolk are opting to follow them and not us. It’s not rocket science is it. Why the hell would the6 follow ITFC right now ? This Club offers nothing as a spectacle to its fans. How sad have we become! It breaks my heart frankly.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:58 am

Fantastic story Liz and OMG how I remember the Izal toilet rolls, cut my arse to ribbons as a kid, they don't know they are born today.

As for supporting any other team, not a chance in hell for me, ITFC or nothing, along with my beloved Forfar Athletic of course who I have followed for nearly 50 years.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:58 am
Fantastic story Liz and OMG how I remember the Izal toilet rolls, cut my arse to ribbons as a kid, they don't know they are born today.

As for supporting any other team, not a chance in hell for me, ITFC or nothing, along with my beloved Forfar Athletic of course who I have followed for nearly 50 years.
Forfar Athletic FFS Mike that’s a long way from Ipswich, there must be a story there somewhere ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:26 pm

Great post, HallamBlue 👍👏👏👏

Charnwood, the only possible reason as to why Mike is a fan of Forfar is one day 50 years ago, he and whoever he was with were driving through Dundee and then someone shouted,
“FKN HELL, GET US OUTTA HERE...... DRIVE!”
And they didn’t stop until they reached Forfar and were suffering from severe shock.
Only a Forfar Bridie eased the pain.
Fan forever more!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:34 pm

Wow, some truly great tales of how people first got into following the Blues, along with the obvious pride people once felt in announcing that they supported Ipswich Town. It shows that, whatever differing views we all have, there is always that initial love of the Blues which binds us all together. Even in the darkest of days, that is something to hold on to, to cherish and i feel that that passion is why we all feel frustrated, angry perhaps heartbroken that our club, along with everything it has ever stood for, seems to be slipping towards obscurity, for want of a better word!
Do you know what, yes i am despondent, but to join Mike's rallying cry. IPSWICH TILL I DIE!

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Many years ago I discovered my workplace at the time has softer paper in the ladies than the gents. For a while I just used to nick the odd roll form the ladies and out it in the gents.

But one day I asked the dear old lady who requisitioned the loo paper why the ladies had soft paper and we had one step up from sandpaper.

"We ladies have more delicate bottoms than you men" was the reply.

"Have you seen mine lately?" I asked.

From the next day we had soft paper in the gents too.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:38 pm

Sorry double posted so deleted original content.

As a further edit, i just realised that the above post was my 1,000th. I certainly took my time (14 years apparently) to reach it! :lol: :lol
:
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:52 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:11 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Forfar Athletic FFS Mike that’s a long way from Ipswich, there must be a story there somewhere ?
It started back in the early 70s Andy when Forfar Athletic were officially and without question the worst team in Britain, something Marko would be able to confirm. I think it was 1975 when we finished bottom of the league for the umpteenth time with a meagre 9 points from 36 games, a solitary 1-0 win at Clyde being their only win all season, it started off as a gimmick and its grown from there.

I wrote to the club programme editor, a Mr David Mcgregor who sent me some complimentary programmes and a lovely letter, I was hooked and subscribed to the programme every season up to this very day, I made it my task to find and purchase every programme they have ever produced, this I achieved. I met David Mcgregor when I made the long trip to see us beat Clyde 4-2 with a certain Owen Coyle and Charlie Nicholas in the Clyde squad, I had the privilege of being shown around behind the scenes and was taken to the Forfar dressing room.

Over the years I have been mentioned in the programme several times and had a poem printed in 78 which I had written to celebrate our League Cup semi final appearance against the mighty Rangers, we led 2-1 with seven minutes to go but couldn't hold on and lost in extra time, it was the night the minnows of Forfar Athletic came within 7 minutes of European football, they will always be in my heart and will always be my other club.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:52 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:11 pm
Bluemike wrote:

It started back in the early 70s Andy when Forfar Athletic were officially and without question the worst team in Britain, something Marko would be able to confirm. I think it was 1975 when we finished bottom of the league for the umpteenth time with a meagre 9 points from 36 games, a solitary 1-0 win at Clyde being their only win all season, it started off as a gimmick and its grown from there.

I wrote to the club programme editor, a Mr David Mcgregor who sent me some complimentary programmes and a lovely letter, I was hooked and subscribed to the programme every season up to this very day, I made it my task to find and purchase every programme they have ever produced, this I achieved. I met David Mcgregor when I made the long trip to see us beat Clyde 4-2 with a certain Owen Coyle and Charlie Nicholas in the Clyde squad, I had the privilege of being shown around behind the scenes and was taken to the Forfar dressing room.

Over the years I have been mentioned in the programme several times and had a poem printed in 78 which I had written to celebrate our League Cup semi final appearance against the mighty Rangers, we led 2-1 with seven minutes to go but couldn't hold on and lost in extra time, it was the night the minnows of Forfar Athletic came within 7 minutes of European football, they will always be in my heart and will always be my other club.
👍👏👏👏👏 That was a excellent read as well.
And yes, I do believe Forfar were consistent lower league finishers but....... and it’s a positive but; local rivals Brechin City finished “basement boys” on so many more occasions throughout the 60s/70s/80s, and the ONLY reason I know this is because of my grandad. Hated football, didn’t affiliate with any clubs but when asked he’d always use his “strongest team in the league” gag. The one holding every other team up and (from memory) it was always the Hedge fuckers.

Brechin Shitty.