Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we go for another Burton?

Burton Win
36%
Ipswich Win
45%
Draw
18%

Total votes: 11

Frosty
Forum Owner

Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:04 pm

Image Burton Albion v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 16th January 2021 – 15:00

Pirelli Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

And Now, The End Is Near...........

That seems to be the general consensus of opinion among Town's fans following what can only be described as an abject and disappointing performance against the mighty Swindon Town who came to Portman Road as whipping boys and proceeded to turn us over by plundering Three very good goals while we huffed and puffed as we always do with a Million and One sideways or backwards passes, yes it is true to say having waited 25 days to see my beloved team in action again I suddenly wished it was 25 years.

So the big question is this, is the "End near" for Paul Lambert, is his tenure at our once great club drawing to a close ? If stories of unrest and scuffles in the players tunnel are anything to go by it must surely be the case that he will soon be walking away from Portman Road leaving us to begin yet another chapter in our topsy turvy history. Surely another defeat at bottom club Burton Albion would signal him facing the "Final Curtain", Marcus Evans would surely have to act as our fading hopes of promotion would be nothing more than a pipe dream, if it isn't already, while the League table would suggests we still have much to play for we cannot hide away from the fact that the last few games have been inept, woeful and unacceptable for this club, a history steeped in tradition and success, a big budget, a large playing squad with supposed quality all seem to count for nothing in this desperately poor Division, a division that we are finding beyond us at times, even when we have won games, like at Plymouth or at home to Burton Albion it is so terribly unconvincing and at times boring beyond belief, I used to get so excited that it was match day and I was going down to see my team perform, now though it is a chore to even sit in front of a TV screen to suffer it, you just know what drivel you are going to be served up, and that is about the only time they don't disappoint.

"Regrets, I've had a few" must be in the thoughts of Evans and co, Lambert arrived at this club and with him he brought a new found togetherness to the fans, a belief that he was wanting to be like one of us, one of the Blue Army, paying for away match travel and buying fans a beer and a pint was great PR and got him in the good books of most but sadly it was about as good as it has gotten, our win ratio is dire, our tactics are predictable and ineffective and our prospects of success are grim, not much of a legacy for him to leave when he does walk in the coming days/weeks.

As for the Swindon game, what else really needs to be said, we lost and deservedly so, One team looked up for it and dangerous on the attack while the other looked lost and bereft of quality and ideas, keeping the ball for two Thirds of the game means nothing as Swindon proved, it's what you do with it and where that counts. Too many of our players failed to perform, Dozzell had a bit of a mare by his standards, Huws, Cornell, McGuinness, Woolfenden and Drinan were all woeful, only Alan Judge & James Norwood when he came on really offered anything at all, our squad had been ravaged by the dreaded Covid and boy did it show, it looked like most still had it such was the lethargy in the legs.

One thing is for sure, it is not good enough for this club and never will be, how low we can fall is anyone's guess, I once had a fall out with a friend on T.Boys when he said in two or Three season's we could well be in League two, I thought what a fool and argued it, will never happen I said, I was wrong, it could well happen, it won't if we address this slide into the Abyss, that has to start with a managerial change, there is still time and decent managers available who would jump at the chance to come here, our future is in our own hands, or at least in Marcus Evans hands, he needs to act, he can't be that dim, rip up that Five year contract and pay him off, it could be the best money Evans has spent.

One thing is for sure, Paul Lambert will believe everyone around him is at fault rather than himself, he is a stubborn person and quite pig headed, in my opinion of course, the excuses have been there what with Injuries and Covid etc and that may well be the truth, however his inability to manage the things within his control cannot be ignored and nor can the buck be passed to others, it is solely down to him and he has failed miserably. No doubt when the time does come for him to depart he will believe that "He did what he had to do and saw it through without exemption" Sadly we all know that he "Bit off more than he could chew" His passing salvo to our long suffering fans will be sorry guys and gals but "I did it my way"

The Opposition – Burton Albion

Burton Albion can claim lineage from four now defunct clubs: Burton Swifts, Burton Town, Burton United and Burton Wanderers.

Burton Albion were formed in 1950, and joined the Birmingham & District League. They finished the 1953–54 season as runners-up, and in 1958–59 joined the Southern League North Western zone. In 1965–66, Burton missed out on the runners-up place on goal difference, but were still promoted to the Southern League Premier Division.

They avoided relegation in 1968, thanks to Stevenage Town folding, but were relegated to Division One after an unsuccessful 1969–70 season. Burton missed out on promotion on goal average in 1970–71, but finished as runners-up the following season and were promoted back to the Premier Division.

The next two seasons saw them relegated and then promoted back to the Premier Division again. They stayed in the same division until being relegated once more at the end of 1976–77.

League rearrangements saw Burton moved to the Northern Premier League, because of their location in the central Midlands, and then back to the Southern League in 1987–88, the season after losing in a replayed FA Trophy final to Kidderminster Harriers.

In October 1998, Nigel Clough was appointed as player-manager and he led the club to two successive runners-up spots, in 1999–2000 and 2000–01.

Burton were again moved to the Northern Premier League Premier Division in 2001–02, which they won by a margin of 15 points, and the club was promoted to the Football Conference for the first time.

The club was brought to national attention when they were drawn at home against 11-time winners Manchester United in the third round of the 2005–06 FA Cup. The Brewers held the Premier League team to a 0–0 draw at home, but lost the reply 5–0 in front of over 11,000 Burton fans, setting a record for number of away fans at Old Trafford.

In January 2009, Burton went on to set a league record for the most consecutive wins and, in February 2009, when the team was 19 points clear at the top of the table, Conference sponsors Blue Square declared Burton the winners of the 2008–09 title in a PR stunt in which they paid out all bets. However, a bad run of form only saw this confirmation take place due to other results on the last day of the season.

Burton finished in 13th place in their first campaign in the Football League.

During the 2014–15 season, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink took over the managerial position at the Brewers and led them to the League Two title, which meant promotion to League One for the first time in their history. Hasselbaink left by mutual consent in December 2015 to join Queens Park Rangers as manager.

Nigel Clough returned to Burton to replace him for his second spell as manager and led the club to a second-place finish in the league, earning promotion to the Championship, another first for Burton, in the 2015/16 season.

Burton struggled throughout their first season in the higher division, but secured their Championship status on 29 April 2017 after a 1–1 draw with Barnsley.

Burton spent much of their second season in the Championship in the relegation zone. It was looking likely the club was going drop back down to League One, however three wins in the late stage of the season boosted their chances of survival, including a 2-1 win over relegation rivals Sunderland. However following a 2-1 defeat to Preston North End on the final day of the season, Burton were relegated back to League One.

In 2018-19, in spite of being in mid-table in League One, they made the semi finals of the 2018–19 EFL Cup, after wins over Shrewsbury, Aston Villa, Burnley, Nottingham Forest and Middlesbrough. Facing Manchester City, Burton lost the 1st leg 9–0 at the Etihad Stadium, eventually losing 10–0 on aggregate.

Last season Burton Albion finished 12th place in League 1.

On New Year's Day 2021, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink was appointed manager of Burton Albion for the second time in his career.

The Manager – Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Form Guide

Burton Albion Last 5 Matches – Currently in 24th place with 16 points

9 Dec Burton Albion 1 - 3 Doncaster

26 Dec Lincoln City 5 - 1 Burton Albion

29 Dec Burton Albion 3 - 4 Wigan Athletic

2 Jan Burton Albion 1 - 5 Oxford Utd

9 Jan Gillingham 0 - 1 Burton Albion

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 8th place with 32 points

19 Dec Peterborough pp. Ipswich Town

26 Dec Ipswich Town pp. Northampton

29 Dec AFC Wimbledon pp. Ipswich Town

04 Jan Fleetwood Town pp. Ipswich Town

09 Jan Ipswich Town 2-3 Swindon Town

Match Referee – Neil Hair

BURTON ALBION 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Tangfastic

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:24 am

Burton 0 - Ipswich 2

For Lambert, a must win game.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:37 am

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:24 am
Burton 0 - Ipswich 2

For Lambert, a must win game.
I think your right, we lose this one Lambert has to go.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:19 pm

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... l-is-wrong Well PL i think it is morally wrong you managing Ipswich Town. Covid has kept you in a job you selfish git!!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:18 pm

Did you read / listen to the interview?

He’s had the virus, knocked him for 6; he’s concerned about other players / staff and he’s basically raising the issue to the general public that things really are spiralling out of control in all areas outwith football, across all tiers etc etc etc based on Ipswich Towns own experience witb the virus.

And you say he’s being “selfish” Tiny?
Wow, buddy. Got to strongly, quite possibly 100%, wholeheartedly disagree with you there.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:04 pm

Mr marko you are perfectly entitled to disagree. I think PL is only thinking PL personally. He is under pressure and wants the season to end. That is my view.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:43 pm

Thanks for allowing my opinions to be heard, Tiny. 👍
I think It’s the opposite....... he asking for the season to be cut short, not because of his position, but because he has genuine concerns.

From a “job” perspective, he couldn’t care less if the season is cut short or not. He gets paid regardless.
And if his big contract is cut short, he’s paid handsomely, so 🤷‍♂️

I’m not changing my view on Lamberts position....... he needs emptied, yesterday if possible....... but his comments are not given out of selfishness in that interview. He’s clearly got concerns outwith the game.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:59 pm

Kind of hope the game is canceled. Not just for safety aspects and in truth we're an embarrassment often enough and would save another negative score or setback. 20 years back writing up on a league fixture against these would seem bizarre but got to realize the magnitude of change. When you concede three goals at home to Swindon it tells you something, haven't voted as yet but going with instinct and awarding them the home victory.

Christ they ship a lot of goals don't they, this should be fairly straight forward but got to remember which team we root for and how often they make a mess of things and just underachieve. Neil Hair as game official, you can see the humor in it I think some of you could be pulling out what's left of it by the time this fixture is said and done. Would have been ideal if Barnet were the opposition instead of these.

Burton 2 Visitors 1

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:02 pm

Lambert’s got every right to have an opinion on this, especially as he had the virus.

This got my attention though “ I just don’t get it. It’s not entertainment, it’s not the same game without fans. It’s not the same game.”

He knows all too well that with fans in the ground they’d be baying for his blood. I think having no fans has been a major advantage for Lambert.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice, Saint

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:07 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:02 pm
Lambert’s got every right to have an opinion on this, especially as he had the virus.

This got my attention though “ I just don’t get it. It’s not entertainment, it’s not the same game without fans. It’s not the same game.”

He knows all too well that with fans in the ground they’d be baying for his blood. I think having no fans has been a major advantage for Lambert.
True but I think he’s generalising that all sport is a total farce without fans so what’s the point of it all anyway.
One thing is for sure, with him being a Scotsman, he can take it on the chin.
(Except Covid. That makes his hair sore)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:09 pm

Before Covid closes everything down...... I really do hope Neil Hair refs a Barnet game to get a massive laugh out of me & Saint Jude. 🤣👍

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:47 pm

I suppose I'm being selfish when I say I really hope the season does not shut down. I really believe that players and football staff should receive the vaccination as soon as possible, and no I'm not being insensitive to the safety of people in higher risk categories. Some countries are even vaccinating the younger generation 'first' to prevent spread. I completely understand Lambert's position especially since he's had the virus with symptoms...but there's still so many people who are asymptomatic. Professional football is a job, and like many people it is still a requirement to show up for work. The difference is most people can wear masks and practice social distancing unlike footballers which is why I think the footballers should be vaccinated.

Anyway I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for that statement, especially from Marko. :lol:

Like someone else said, this is a must win for Lambert. I'll go with 1-2 win with Norwood on the score sheet.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:06 pm

I too think footballers should be vaccinated. The lack of football is causing mental health issues in certain types of people. All areas of CV19 is creating offshoots of much more serious problems.

I was merely jumping to Lamberts defence above. Refuse to see him as being selfish with his view on the football season being cancelled.

FTR, I was never in favour of lockdowns. I'm in favour of herd immunity but ..... (And from credible sources in my own family, my GP sister for a start)......, the virus seems to be mutating day by day and that is very concerning.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:56 pm

I've argued that we should vaccinate those who have to go to work - particularly those who are at higher risk of contracting the virus. Us oldies who are retired could just stay at home until it's our turn. But I really don't see football as high priority compared to the education sector, bus drivers, etc. It's just difficult for anyone to prioritise one profession over another.

As Saint says, Burton ship a lot of goals. But they've scored in each of their last 5 games. So we will probably need at least 2 to win.

Hopefully we will; 3 - 2 to Ipswich

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:57 pm

I think its totally and utterly wrong that Footballers should be given the vaccine over other more needy people.

Today I was fortunate enough to receive my first dose of the vaccine, I feel privileged to be offered it despite being a front line worker, my gripe is this, I work with a lot of people within the hospital who take pretty much the same risks as me, the problem is they are not employed by the NHS and their employer doesn't feel it apt to get them vaccinated yet, its a joke and a disgrace, they are going on covid wards just like me, touching the same doors and potentially breathing the same infected air, for me its unacceptable and then to see football once again being a law unto itself is just taking the p*ss. I feel football should be suspended indefinitely like loads of other sports, sadly what will be will be where consequences are concerned.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:26 pm

There is absolutely no doubt that you’re correct and the people who are most vulnerable should definitely take precedence over footballers, every day of week.
And with a recorded 21 million vacs been dished out already, they’re getting there.

But there are other social issues happening. Especially happening to men who’s lives seem to be in a rut because football is their release from stress / pressures of life. (Some will argue Ipswich adds stress :lol: )
But there definitely is, (as time passes) a growing need for normality to resume and people like pro-footballers will inadvertently be helping with the suicide rates. (Again, Some will argue they want to jump off a bridge after watching Ipswich :lol: )

Not funny. Shouldn’t laugh.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:33 pm

Think about those poor 36 Brechin fans

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:57 pm
I think its totally and utterly wrong that Footballers should be given the vaccine over other more needy people.

Today I was fortunate enough to receive my first dose of the vaccine, I feel privileged to be offered it despite being a front line worker, my gripe is this, I work with a lot of people within the hospital who take pretty much the same risks as me, the problem is they are not employed by the NHS and their employer doesn't feel it apt to get them vaccinated yet, its a joke and a disgrace, they are going on covid wards just like me, touching the same doors and potentially breathing the same infected air, for me its unacceptable and then to see football once again being a law unto itself is just taking the p*ss. I feel football should be suspended indefinitely like loads of other sports, sadly what will be will be where consequences are concerned.
Absolutely

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:48 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:33 pm
Think about those poor 36 Brechin fans
:lol:

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:46 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:57 pm

Glad you've had your first jab, Mike. Just a little pr*ck? I should get mine soon if all proceeds as hoped.

As for the non-NHS staff: as you say, disgraceful. You would hope the NHS could exert pressure on the employers in some way.

And as for football & other sports, I agree with you entirely. They all pale into insignificance when compared to this pandemic.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:20 pm

Hi Billy,
I hope you get yours soon too, well that goes for everyone actually, and yes It was a small pr*ck as it goes and so far touch wood no side effects, some have had really painful arms the next day or headaches etc, that's what I'm being told anyway.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:14 pm

Given Burton are quite prolific goal scorers especially given their position in the league table the odds are we’ll need to score at least two to win this game. In their 11 games played at home so far this season they’ve only failed to score once, and in all games home and away you need to go back 12 games to Hull City (away) in mid November to find the last time they drew a blank losing 2-0. Bringing home 3 points certainly isn’t going to be a formality and we’ll need to play a more attacking style if it’s going to happen.

I’m keeping the faith and backing Lambert to earn his money with a 1-2 away win, if it doesn’t happen it will surely be another nail in his coffin.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:23 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:14 pm
Given Burton are quite prolific goal scorers especially given their position in the league table the odds are we’ll need to score at least two to win this game. In their 11 games played at home so far this season they’ve only failed to score once, and in all games home and away you need to go back 12 games to Hull City (away) in mid November to find the last time they drew a blank losing 2-0. Bringing home 3 points certainly isn’t going to be a formality and we’ll need to play a more attacking style if it’s going to happen.

I’m keeping the faith and backing Lambert to earn his money with a 1-2 away win, if it doesn’t happen it will surely be another nail in his coffin.
Agree completely

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:24 pm

Hello all, after last saturday ive not felt much like posting , ive been too bloody annoyed. The usual tosh being spouted by all from PR adds to my annoyance. However, ive just cracked open my first beer and ordered the match. A much improved performance is a must, not a 3 4 or 5 nil, just a 1 nil win and a better performance will do for me as a start. Interested to see what lambert does today with the players available, would love to see 2 up front due to the goals that burton have let in but i doubt that will happen. Its going to be a tough game i fear, especially with the new manager. Like i said 1 nil will do but i really dont have a clue.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:58 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:24 pm
Hello all, after last saturday ive not felt much like posting , ive been too bloody annoyed. The usual tosh being spouted by all from PR adds to my annoyance. However, ive just cracked open my first beer and ordered the match. A much improved performance is a must, not a 3 4 or 5 nil, just a 1 nil win and a better performance will do for me as a start. Interested to see what lambert does today with the players available, would love to see 2 up front due to the goals that burton have let in but i doubt that will happen. Its going to be a tough game i fear, especially with the new manager. Like i said 1 nil will do but i really dont have a clue.
Lambert was saying yesterday that he learned - from 5-6 years back - not to change team shape or tactics because it confuses the players. So I guess he’s sticking with the one up front. Strange that, because last year Lambert seemed to change the team from game to game.

I would have thought players would be comfortable with changing shape to suit the match situation and the available players - but guess that’s too confusing.

If we’re concentrating on just one style of play, we must be getting pretty good at it by now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:40 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:58 pm
Lambert was saying yesterday that he learned - from 5-6 years back - not to change team shape or tactics because it confuses the players.
If Lambert said that, just sack the arsehole before kick off.

And ITNO1........ ye cannae be annoyed ALL FECKIN WEEK???? Life’s too short, dude.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:40 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:58 pm
Lambert was saying yesterday that he learned - from 5-6 years back - not to change team shape or tactics because it confuses the players.
If Lambert said that, just sack the arsehole before kick off.

And ITNO1........ ye cannae be annoyed ALL FECKIN WEEK???? Life’s too short, dude.
He does say some daft things. Now we know why his win record is so appalling - he’s not trying anymore to get a win.

I learned my lesson about five or six years ago, trying to change systems left, right and centre and it never got me anywhere,” he said.

I’ll never do that again, I spoke to loads of managers and they asked me why I changed the system and I said I was trying to get a win.

“But [they told me] it just confused people. And they were 100 per cent right, and I’m talking about top managers, they were 100 per cent right and I’ll never make that same mistake again.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:07 pm

:cry: Sorry I can see another Swindon result coming, if the players aren't happy with Lambert's tactical field play they could just not bother to turn up, so giving Little old Burton Albion a cozy home win of 3-1 especially if Chambers is as generous as last week, RB ??? what RB as long as the guy has a hole in his arse he won't be an RB he's too slow, why not put Doniecian in at RB or whoever like Downes, anybody but Chambers

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:10 pm

Six changes. Good to see Norwood, Downes, Bishop and Edwards start. Must make a difference- but how much?

Toto in for Woolf and Holy in for Cornell.

Is Jackson injured as he’s not on the bench? Or does he not fit into the system?

Town: Holy, Chambers (C), Nsiala, McGuinness, Ward, Dozzell, Downes, Bishop, Judge, Norwood, Edwards.

Subs: Cornell, Woolfenden, Kenlock, Lankester, Sears, Drinan, Hawkins.