Interesting analysis of Town this season

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Interesting analysis of Town this season

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:22 pm

Not sure if people have seen this anywhere else...but it’s in the EADT. Makes for some interesting ( though not unexpected) reading.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ty-6917360

Andym

Re: Interesting analysis of Town this season

Post by Andym » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:45 pm

Interesting indeed. I still believe possession based football is the right approach. We just lack sufficient movement of the ball and midfielders getting forward to allow that possession achieve anything.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:58 am

For me it’s the pace at which we pass the ball about, and in which direction.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:40 pm

Andym wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:45 pm
Interesting indeed. I still believe possession based football is the right approach. We just lack sufficient movement of the ball and midfielders getting forward to allow that possession achieve anything.
sorry, Andy, but I just cant agree with that - not for ITFC in League 1 (or any other team in League 1 for that matter).

Possession football is fine so long as you have players with pace to move into gaps off the ball and players with the vision and skill to find those gaps. And as in any other kind of football, you are only ever going to score if you move the ball forward.

I just do not believe that any League 1 club can have the personnel with the skills and attributes required to play possession football - those players are employed at higher levels.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:01 pm

rossi wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:40 pm
Andym wrote:
sorry, Andy, but I just cant agree with that - not for ITFC in League 1 (or any other team in League 1 for that matter).

Possession football is fine so long as you have players with pace to move into gaps off the ball and players with the vision and skill to find those gaps. And as in any other kind of football, you are only ever going to score if you move the ball forward.

I just do not believe that any League 1 club can have the personnel with the skills and attributes required to play possession football - those players are employed at higher levels.
Of course what can happen is both teams can be absolutely brilliant at what you say, Rossi, BUT be equally brilliant in defence ...... and what you get is El Classico ——-> the single most boring fixture in the history of all football.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:25 pm

rossi wrote:
Andym wrote:

You're probably right. I just find hitting long aimless balls as soul destroying as tippytap along the back 4.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:26 pm

Andym wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:25 pm
rossi wrote:
Andym wrote:

You're probably right. I just find hitting long aimless balls as soul destroying as tippytap along the back 4.
Don’t we do both.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:40 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:26 pm
Andym wrote:
rossi wrote:

Don’t we do both.
Yes. The quick long ball leaves a lone striker isolated. But the possession football should enable us to get players up in support .... but we don't do it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:43 pm

Andym wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:40 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:26 pm
Andym wrote:

Don’t we do both.
Yes. The quick long ball leaves a lone striker isolated. But the possession football should enable us to get players up in support .... but we don't do it.
Yep. A lot of times though we struggle to find space to pass the ball out of our half and then it goes backwards... and sideways... and then punted up. The big question is how do we find a way around this ? It feels like our best chance is with players like Edwards and Bishop who can beat a man and then all of a sudden it opens up and we have a bit of forward momentum. I don’t think we’re good enough to just pass the ball from our box to the other box in 20 passes. And as Rossi suggests, does this league demand we do that or even need to do that because players just aren’t good enough for that. Having said that, I thought Crewe looked a fantastic- and well coached - passing side. But we actually beat them with a scrappy goal when they played us of the park.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:17 pm

Yes we're sh*t at the moment in all areas. Is there one thing we're doing consistently well? I'm not being pessimistic, just realistic. However, I strongly believe in creating a culture of possession based football throughout the club. It's gonna take time though folks, ffs!
Rossi says,

How do you really know that unless you try? After all, we could still be mid-table in the Championship under the tutelage of the infamous Mick McCarthy!
9 says,
f*ck that!
My main bitch, is that Lambert should be willing to change tactics in a match if the possession football is failing. I mean, he's not changing the footballing philosophy of the club; he's just trying to win the match, right?
Tang says,
The big question is how do we find a way around this ? It feels like our best chance is with players like Edwards and Bishop who can beat a man and then all of a sudden it opens up and we have a bit of forward momentum.
This is how we score goals. This is where we've been failing.

At the other end of the pitch, we've got defenders in their late 30s playing as wing backs leaving the youngsters to defend. Not only are Chambers and Ward too old to be wing backs, they both need to focus on defending and mentoring the young ones. Look at all the open space on the wings when the Chambers/Ward duo surges forward and how many times opposing teams use those open-channels to counter attack. Sure we've scored a few goals when they've surged forward, but how many have we conceded?

The possession game will be fine once we start finding the net, and preventing goals against. It will require more midfielders scoring goals, and more defenders defending.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:24 am

9 says:

However, I strongly believe in creating a culture of possession based football throughout the club. It's gonna take time though folks, ffs!

I say:

How long does this guy need to achieve PBF? Another question is - in over two years, have we seen enough ‘green shoots’ to suggest we are improving? I’m not sure we’ve achieved much in that time. Surely ( please Marko - no ‘don’t call me Shirley videos’), if Lambert had a vision of how we should play, we should have started it when he arrived or when we started in League One. Why is it only this season has he decided that we can only play one system? What a waste of a year last season was then - we finished in 11th place and also were playing no distinct style.

I think we already produce technically good players within the club up to under 23 level.... it’s just that transition up at senior level which seems to be the problem.

I agree that we should be more adaptable during games. I think we’re going around in circles talking too much about formations and style of play. I’m sure there’s a very large middle ground between predictable tippy-tippy PBF and MM- style hoofball where we can be more successful. Just get your best players on the pitch, fire them up and play to their strengths. The priority is to get out of the league - if we don’t this season, we’ll lose our better players and we’ll have to start again with a new group of players (freebie cast-offs).

Having said that, I think these two new lads brought in are the right type of players to add some creativity. Let’s hope they make an impact.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:05 am

I think the reason PL et al changed their ways for this season were as a result of this.....

At the end of the CoVid ended season, and into the summer, Evans and Lambert and his coaching team had some serious discussions about the way forward for this season...” lessons will be learned...etc etc”. Evans made it clear he wanted a passing game throughout the Club.

I concur with your view that there is sufficient technical players at this Club already. Now enhanced by the two new signings. I also concur with you very much that there is a problem with players transitioning fromU23 to senior squad and that it falters once players get to the senior squad.

My view is that it is the difference in coaching ability at U23 ( and below), level and that of the senior squad and of course the manager. Lambert has shown time and again since he’s been here ( and at other Clubs), that he has little grasp of the basics in tactical bounce . He appears to have little ability to actually “ see” and interpret what he does see going on in a game, and therefore is unable to change tactic during a game.

As just one example of this , Just about everyone away from the club and the pundits who comment on the games, state time and again, that the team needs two up front and that our lone striker is isolated. Lambert in his wisdom says “ the players can’t play in that formation”.....really?? So why was it then that when Norwood and Jackson played in a strike partnership , we had a strike force that was feared and that scored goals? Even if this was not the case, playing one up front clearly does not work. So change it !!

It will be interesting to see how Lambert handles these two new players....we all know how we’d deploy them. I’ll be amazed if Lambert does though!

He has the players at his disposal ( certainly now they are fit again). But I’ll put money in it he fails to get the best o8t the, , simply because he doesn’t know how too.

I’d love him to prove me wrong........