Lambert facing increasing unrest in the dressing room

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Lambert facing increasing unrest in the dressing room

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:43 am

To be honest Mike most of this team could be accused of not being good enough under Lamberts leadership and direction, but I bet most could get a place in other League One teams and do well. Donacian is the obvious example from this past weekend, I’m sure we could think of others.
My other concern is that Lambert also appears to be impacting on our team spirit which has always been good even in difficult times . I reuse below in italics something I read on another Town forum which really struck home, any of you who watched the game may like to comment.

.....When the young Arsenal loan player McGuinness deflected the only shot that Posh had the TEAM didn’t respond by picking him up and consoling him to say we will get through this, they left him inside the 18 yard box like he had Covid and didn’t want to be anywhere near him. This is the single most overlooked point that our team is not a team.
When you are in a team you play as a team, when one fails you lift them, when one succeeds the whole team celebrates.
None of that showed today....

If this is an example of our team spirit being broken and not an exaggeration, then our problem goes well beyond poor form and our decline will continue. If this is the case and Marcus Evans chooses to turn a blind eye then there is no future for our football club whilst it remains in his ownership which is something I’ve been banging on about for many years.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:11 pm

I know Chambers for one went over and put an arm around him, Mick Mills even commented on it during commentary, not sure about anyone else though.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:27 pm

No. Just Chambers I think. Well, they have been told to tone down their goal celebrations...

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:18 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:27 pm
No. Just Chambers I think. Well, they have been told to tone down their goal celebrations...
😂😂😂

Not much chance up the other end then Andy 🙁, even Burton Albion bottom of the table and Swindon second bottom have scored more goals than we have this season. Scoring goals seems to be an age old problem for Ipswich Town, at least in recent years. Can anyone remember the last time we had a twenty goals a season striker.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:31 pm

I think I’ve found the answer myself, Daryl Murphy 2014/15 and before that Darren Bent 2004/5, unless I’m wrong that’s just two in the last 20 years which is a shocking track record to have and no surprise in terms of our decline.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:01 pm

It is indeed shocking. I have maintained for some time that the way to get out of any division is to attack. Once promoted, you ned to defend to stay up. But we don't. We just don't get forward as a team. One or two up front is immaterial. If we are playing 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 (they are the same thing anyway), we need to regularly get 4 of the front 6 n the box with one of the others providing the service. That's how we were scoring and winning at the start of the season. The striker wasn't scoring but others were in there. It's all stopped.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:21 pm

I honestly don’t know what’s gotten into Lamberts head that he’s decided to dispense with the effective Norwood: Jackson front two !!

Ok Norwood is injured now but I bet he doesn’t pair Harrop: Jackson .... or Drinan: Jackson..... we need goals and with two wide players in Edwards and Thomas , it’s an ideal opportunity to play two strikers . It’s his only chance of surviving as manager frankly ....

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:35 am

Stewart would have got 20 in the fifth place EPL season ? After that, possibly Kuqi, Counago. They seemed to score a lot of goals around the mid-point of the decade. Murphy of course but that were a one-hit wonder. Kind of strange in retrospect he wasn't able to duplicate that season's achievement.

Not entirely sure of which strikers / attacking options we got fit and available right now but even when they're all ready to go there's not one name that really stands out in terms of expectation. Sears sometimes appears a good bet to do something but seems to get criticized by some all too often. To get out of this league you really require a recognized name that can contribute at least 15 + a season, also another that can produce a near enough tally. We don't have that, injuries or not the attacking potential / goal threat never really seems to be that evident.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:22 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:31 pm
I think I’ve found the answer myself, Daryl Murphy 2014/15 and before that Darren Bent 2004/5, unless I’m wrong that’s just two in the last 20 years which is a shocking track record to have and no surprise in terms of our decline.
and in both of those seasons, we were playing 4-4-2

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:41 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:22 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:31 pm
and in both of those seasons, we were playing 4-4-2
Well there’s the answer Rossi, get yer application in for tomorrow’s vacancy. 🤔

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:51 pm

Cook the favourite to replace Lambo, rumours circulating that it could happen in the coming days, apparently he's turned down Sheffield Wednesday, hope there is truth in this.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:17 pm

He turned down SWFC and Cardiff ( apparently), coz they only offered contracts until the end of the season .... he ( naturally) wants a longer contract. Rumour posted on TWTD ( yer yer I know :lol: ), that someone in the know ( yer yer , again), that, “the Cowleys are waiting in the wings”.

Whatever ( if ever anything is going to happen), it’ll be after Crewe game .... maybe even after the game after that . Just can’t see Evans firing Lambert after Tuesdays result .. we’ll see won’t we 🤷‍♀️

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:59 am

It’s not easy to work out from all the posts on TWTD whether people are in the know. There is a poster who seems pretty well informed and says that Lambert had the Posh, Sunderland and Crewe games to save his job. Well, he’s lost both the Posh and Sunderland games ( how much does the sending off mitigate the Sunderland result ? ). And how much weight does a Crewe win mean to that 3 game scenario? Crewe are a pretty decent, well coached outfit who play lovely football, but I feel they’re still punching above their weight. And they got hammered 4-1 by Gillingham mid-week. Not sure the Crewe result means anywhere as much as the two previous games. There’s a feeling that irrespective of the Crewe result, Lambert’s out of his job by Monday.

But then we’ve got the Evans factor. If he sacks Lambert, it’s not only big egg on face but he’s got to pay out big. If he sticks with him, then he’ll lose out on next season’s season ticket sales. Or he’s got a plan to sack him just before the season tickets go on sale to try and get a boost ( I think that would be too late to retain the trust in the fans).

Or Lambert goes on a 5 or 6 game winning run and pulls us into the top six and within reach of the top two. Can’t see that the way we’ve been playing.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:32 am

As we know only too well Marcus Evans isn’t very good at making managerial decisions, here’s a headline from March last year...

Paul Lambert’s five-year deal: “One of the daftest decisions in recent English football”

Here’s the link to the article if anyone hasn’t seen it.. https://www.thetotallyfootballshow.com/ ... -football/

...and here we are today almost 11 months later and nothing much has changed, other than Paul Lambert still has the security of more than 4 years remaining on his contract not 5, but to get rid would still trigger a huge compensation payment for Evans to swallow and could be the stumbling block that prevents him from doing the right thing for the football club.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:52 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:32 am
As we know only too well Marcus Evans isn’t very good at making managerial decisions, here’s a headline from March last year...

Paul Lambert’s five-year deal: “One of the daftest decisions in recent English football”

Here’s the link to the article if anyone hasn’t seen it.. https://www.thetotallyfootballshow.com/ ... -football/

...and here we are today almost 11 months later and nothing much has changed, other than Paul Lambert still has the security of more than 4 years remaining on his contract not 5, but to get rid would still trigger a huge compensation payment for Evans to swallow and could be the stumbling block that prevents him from doing the right thing for the football club.
I have never understood Evans logic in giving such a contract: it doesn't make sense at all to my way of thinking. Surely someone with his business acumen must have had early termination/canellation clauses built in. I sincerely hope so.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:05 pm

I would say that is guaranteed Billy, personally I've never thought this 5 year deal has ever really meant much or been an issue tbh.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:11 pm

I think that may be wishful thinking Mike as the whole purpose of a long term contract is to give both parties security of employment. Marcus Evans may well have thought Paul Lambert was as good as it gets in terms of attracting a manager to a League One club and wanted to make sure he would be suitably compensated if any other club tried to prise him away. I’m sure there will be break clauses built in but they usually favour the employee more than the employer and with the club sitting only five points short of the play offs with games in hand it’s unlikely that any performance related clauses could be triggered.

My thoughts are that the only reason Lambert is still here is because he has Evans over a barrel and knows it, hence his recent cocky comment saying, “it’s up to Marcus what he does”, to which you could probably add, “as if I give a sh*t one way or the other”.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:40 pm

I would be absolutely sure that one of those clauses would be top six minimum at any given date or we reserve the right to part company at a fee which no doubt will be pre agreed, I think its certain that this will be the case, add to that Evans stands to lose a hell of a lot more by not getting rid of him as no bugger will renew.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:51 pm

The only time it’s likely to have a Top 6 clause in would be at season end, not midway through a season as even the League Champions of any division could find themselves outside the Top 6 at some stage during the season. I can’t imagine any manager would ever sign up to contract so heavily weighted in the employers favour. I have a pal who’s a licensed football agent, I’ll see if I can find out.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:07 pm

Probably being too simplistic here but I reckon the 5 year deal was merely due to Mevans being too busy elsewhere. A sort of “here, there’s 5 years, sort things out and don’t bother me unless necessary.”

Let’s face it....... he’s not a football fan FFS. He reminds me of Jeremy Vine talking about Chelski. He knows feck all about football and couldn’t really give two shits what happens.
:lol:

O’Neill: “Gubbed again, Marcus.”
Mevans: “Really? Not good. Did Maureen send an email about those Qatar tickets?”
O’Neill: “No she didn’t. But, yeah, Jackson sent off early in the game. Bit of a shambles really”
Mevans: “Hmmm (rubs chin) listen, if Maureen calls, put her straight through on line one. Cheers.”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:50 pm

I asked Phil Ham, if he thought Lambert was realistically going to be shown the door anytime soon, as I was starting to get the feeling that Evans wouldn’t be acting anytime soon. He replied....

“From what I hear it's not going to last too much longer, assuming there's not a dramatic turnaround.”

So perhaps the Crewe game really is going to be his last?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:24 pm

Let’s hope so Liz, the place needs a right good shake up and a good dose of motivation.

.... and maybe a nes striker wouldn’t go amiss.