What are peoples thoughts on this ......?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

What are peoples thoughts on this ......?

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:43 am

Posted by a very reasonable and level headed poster on twtd.....

Past the point of no return ......Evans may as well pull the plug now.

We escape him and he stops losing money.

I actually think ITFC as it currently exists is past the point of return. I do not think it can recover to be a club anywhere near the level the period of last success circa late 90s-2001.

Too much is damaged and the game at the same time has outpaced us in moving forward, look at the position Norwich have moved into in those 20 years as one example. They are streets ahead of us, but still not good enough to be a prem club.

I'm not just talking on pitch, but the general infrastructure of the club, facilities etc, it's becoming so dated, in state of poor up keep etc. I love our ground but my god it's been left uncared for and those things don't suddenly recover. Irreparable damage is likely happening through poor upkeep.

I sometimes wonder if we need a complete reset, to effectively go bust and form a phoenix club to rise again and have any kind of success (even if that is several tiers from where we currently stand). We may not get very far or never above the level we currently are but I reckon it would be a lot more enjoyable to be part of. Our club again, a progressive club, and one that feels alive again rather than dead, whatever level that is.

Being a supporter of ITFC is just no fun anymore and hasn't been for years. People keep saying it will change, football is cyclical but I don't see that being the case anymore. The game has changed too much. Unless those that run the game change the rules, it's gone from us in terms of achieving a modicum of success.

I used to be someone that thought despite Evans being an awful owner, at least he's keeping us afloat and saving us from financial disaster. Well now I don't, I'd rather he pulled the plug and walked away. If there is no buyer, sure we go bust and start again at level whatever. I'd rathe that as a football fan that what we have had over the last 15 years and is only getting worse year on year, with a rapid rate of decline.

I doubt many will agree, but i don't enjoy the standard of football any more at this level than National league, and even the level below (north/south)...so i think I'd enjoy being a progressive club at that level than watching the club flounder and die as it currently is.

Dubai Blue

Re: What are peoples thoughts on this ......?

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:03 pm

Just to say that it's not necessary to make the club go bust and form a 'phoenix club' as he puts it, there are plenty of small clubs in the region that he could transfer his allegiance to.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:25 pm

He is entitled to his view but I do not share it. There are several clubs who have become 'stuck' at this level (ie Portsmouth, Sunderland etc) along with other clubs who are here but have never experienced the glory days that some of us were lucky enough to (ie Crewe, Burton etc). Our problem, in my opinion is actually our past success. If we had never had such success, what we see now would not be quite so hard to accept. However, we cannot write off that success (nor would I ever wish to - some of my best years have been following Town during those times)! So, where do we go from here?

I think that this Guys suggestion is one option but a very defeatist one that I do not subscribe to. Society is very 'knee jerk' and throw away these days - whatever happened to hard work and grinding out a way forward?

I would prefer that we understand (not accept) where we are, build again on the principles this clubs great success was built upon (community spirit, nurturing talent, connecting with fans and a sense of unity - sorry if I am sounding like Biden here! 😳)... the letter on TWTD from the Serbian Town fans hit home for me - so sad to be losing what they saw in us in the first place - that hurts - and the quote from Sir Bobby at the end actually made me fee a bit emotional when i re-read it as it has never been more true than today!

Once we understand where we are and try to build and improve things, we may not find instant success but we may find that connection that is missing (the same connection that they Guy who wants to scrap it all and start again says he is looking for)!

I too would love loads of money to be thrown at us and we get promoted and be back 'where we belong' but the reality is that this is not going to happen - so we have to find a different level understanding and expectation. Even if we had millions thrown at us, we may not het the success anyway and to be honest, I look at the Prem and all its millions and fake fans and I hate it! For me, to be challenging at the top of whatever league we are in is where I want to be - for me, if that were the Championship, that would be ideal but for today, it has to be League 1 so so be it. We may be on a level playing field in this division from next season but that does not mean we cannot be up there challenging, just like the likes of Accrington and Doncaster etc are doing right now?!

Just my thoughts...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:32 pm

I don't agree with most of what he says tbh, we need managerial change first and foremost, yes a new owner would be desirable but we have to get it into our heads that ME cannot down awful lot more than he is doing in terms of funding, the rules don't allow and next season it gets even less that he can invest.

As for the going bust thing that is just silly, the stadium is becoming old and tired but again nothing that can't be dealt with as and when. Our squad is good enough for this level, that to me is not in doubt, the stadium at this level is top notch, trust me, try going to Accrington, Rochdale, Gillingham etc, the stadium stands up well in the Championship too, it's at managerial level where its falling down and has done for years, Jewell, Keane, Mccarthy, Hurst, Lambert, a frightening pattern.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:46 pm

Wtf dude? ...... you just agreed with yourself :lol:

Can’t agree with this concept at all, perhaps Rangers being the exception, it doesn’t often turn out well.

Sure the club needs a major overhaul, and I still think we will come back. Some of our peers even dropped another division.

I think one needs to keep in mind that English league 1 is still an awesomely strong league when compared to other leagues around the world. And it’s only very small percentages that differentiate L1, L2 and lower championship sides in my opinion.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:54 pm

As a fairytale yes, probably a lovely idea, especially if taking into account a team like Wimbledon, who even themselves have not faced adversity in their rise back to League One status.

For me it is the bigger picture. Sky and money have ruined football! So many clubs have gone into administration over the last 2 decades, many as a result of spending beyond their means, in an often futile attempt to progress. ITFC have suffered greatly during ME's tenure, i would rather that than support a team like Derby who have constantly overspent to reach the promised land, and all for what? Going bust, there is no surefire way of a phoenix club rising from it, nor that any level of success would follow in the case that a new club was formed! While Ipswich fans are widely regarded as patient, i am not sure i could wait the 10-15 years potentially required to rise to a decent level again.

There is always the chance of any club going under these days, and were that to happen to Ipswich, for whatever reason. We would all have to accept it and whatever the future might or might not bring! Portman Road would be re-developed, meaning a new potentially soulless ground (eventually) on the outskirts. Yes it would be a new stadium, but i prefer those grounds at the heart of a community, and for whatever perceived state our current stadium is in, i for one love its location, i love standing in the SBR lower tier and gazing out at what i feel is still a fantastic stadium and would take that all day long over a difficult to reach ground with only purpose built facilities. But i digress lol.

For me, even in the darkest times, there MUST be hope. While we seem to be caught in a whirlpool of decline, some not helped by financial rules, it does not take much for a change in fortune! Leicester City were in league one during the early days of ME owning Ipswich. I doubt their fans would have dreamed of that they would achieve within 10 years.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:22 pm

Frosty wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:46 pm

Can’t agree with this concept at all, perhaps Rangers being the exception, it doesn’t often turn out well.

Sure the club needs a major overhaul, and I still think we will come back. Some of our peers even dropped another division.

I think one needs to keep in mind that English league 1 is still an awesomely strong league when compared to other leagues around the world. And it’s only very small percentages that differentiate L1, L2 and lower championship sides in my opinion.
How did I agree with myself? I'm confused 😕

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:31 pm

Blue Wilf wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:25 pm
He is entitled to his view but I do not share it. There are several clubs who have become 'stuck' at this level (ie Portsmouth, Sunderland etc) along with other clubs who are here but have never experienced the glory days that some of us were lucky enough to (ie Crewe, Burton etc). Our problem, in my opinion is actually our past success. If we had never had such success, what we see now would not be quite so hard to accept. However, we cannot write off that success (nor would I ever wish to - some of my best years have been following Town during those times)! So, where do we go from here?

I think that this Guys suggestion is one option but a very defeatist one that I do not subscribe to. Society is very 'knee jerk' and throw away these days - whatever happened to hard work and grinding out a way forward?

I would prefer that we understand (not accept) where we are, build again on the principles this clubs great success was built upon (community spirit, nurturing talent, connecting with fans and a sense of unity - sorry if I am sounding like Biden here! 😳)... the letter on TWTD from the Serbian Town fans hit home for me - so sad to be losing what they saw in us in the first place - that hurts - and the quote from Sir Bobby at the end actually made me fee a bit emotional when i re-read it as it has never been more true than today!

Once we understand where we are and try to build and improve things, we may not find instant success but we may find that connection that is missing (the same connection that they Guy who wants to scrap it all and start again says he is looking for)!

I too would love loads of money to be thrown at us and we get promoted and be back 'where we belong' but the reality is that this is not going to happen - so we have to find a different level understanding and expectation. Even if we had millions thrown at us, we may not het the success anyway and to be honest, I look at the Prem and all its millions and fake fans and I hate it! For me, to be challenging at the top of whatever league we are in is where I want to be - for me, if that were the Championship, that would be ideal but for today, it has to be League 1 so so be it. We may be on a level playing field in this division from next season but that does not mean we cannot be up there challenging, just like the likes of Accrington and Doncaster etc are doing right now?!

Just my thoughts...
Agree with this completely. I don’t remember the glory days - despite being an old man - but I only started watching Ipswich in the Joe Royle era. When it comes to football, history is an relevance, we have to look at where we are now.
Football is much like politics; the rules are made by the rich and powerful to protect the interests of themselves. The recent move towards salary caps will level things out, which none of us like because are one of the better supported and better funded of the league 1 clubs. Of course the same levelling off isn’t applied to the premier league because the top trans want to maintain their advantage. But it will lead to a lowering of standards. No club can afford to pay players enough to keep them in a lower division. The Gap between leagues will grow bigger and bigger, but each league will have a more level playing field.
We can never go back to being a big club because of this. We will probably flit between leagues 1 and 2 where the financial difference is lowest. I suspect some clubs might yoyo between league 1 and the championship in much the same way that Norwich do between the top 2 divisions.
In truth we should be at the top of league 1 with the resources available. But with the current management, the current training and medical regime that leads to injury after injury, and the poor squad, we are failing again - at the last chance Before the salary cap really kicks in.
I’m afraid we have to change our attitudes. We have to want success but realise that it is unlikely. We have to celebrate victories and good performances but knows there will be defeats and poor games. We are a league 1 side with a mediocre league 1 squad and a poor league 1 manager. Starting again at the bottom of the football pyramid might see a few “successful” years but there’s no guarantee e would her close to league 1 again if we did.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:32 pm

My God, Hallam. Imagine that guy posting on this forum? He’d challenge AndyMs pessi crown!! :lol:

That is the largest pile of over reactionary drivel I’ve ever read. Bust the club and start again ? :lol: :lol: Wow.

Let’s be honest, the players are there, in place and whatever anyone says, they’re competent. They’re just being deployed in freak formations that haven’t worked for MONTHS. Point being, they’re potentially only 90 minutes away from a really impressive win, under new management. So......., shutting down clubs...... starting again ......rising from the fire??! :lol: Guy is just way too dramatic. He’s the Covid era guy who’s having to sell his house, move, kids change school etc etc when in reality he’s maybe been asked to work a 4 day week.

And this guy should realise that it’s ONLY “Rangers” fans up here who recognise “Rangers”, i.e. old defunct Rangers. They’re gone forever. The Sevco Rangers FC now exist and they’re not the same.
Yes, investment has made that club rise and they will win the SPL, but it’s only their own fans who think they’re the same again.
If Ipswich died and rose again..... the Norwich fans would CONSTANTLY remind “Ipswich” fans that it’s not the same.

“We won the UEFA Cup in 81.”
“No you didn’t, you’ve won f*ck all. We won the league Cup in 85.”

That’d be the reality of it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:58 pm

I thought it was a complete over-reaction, too.

Who knows, but if we can just simply get a manager who can just get that bit extra out of our squad then we wouldn’t be too far from a return to the Championship. We’re in a shitty league with shitty teams and we don’t need to be world-beaters - just a little bit less shitty than the rest.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:34 pm

marko69 wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:32 pm
My God, Hallam. Imagine that guy posting on this forum? He’d challenge AndyMs pessi crown!! :lol:
I don't know what you mean. I'm the most optimistic bloke around here.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:37 pm

Lmfao

The best bit was Hallam saying he's a level headed poster !!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:14 pm

Well he is by and large :lol: lol: ...but I thought you boys might like to see is and it provokes discussion...which was the aim really.

I would add I don’t agree with his go8mg bust would be an option thingy either...... many people thought getting relegated from the championship would be a “ good thing”. It’s anything but isn’t it.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:42 pm

We're not until the point of return until passing the windmill and the DeLorean reaches 88 miles per hour. And what the f*ck is 'forming a pheonix club' ? What relocate to Arizona and play Scottsdale and Tuscon in the USL ? Wimbledon had a rise from the ashes so to speak some years back and simply made a mess of a once established name.

Can see the point here, some are so sick of the owners direction they'd wish to reboot and start again but don't think it's a viable way forward. Seems out the question anyhow as it simply won't happen - can't happen.

He wants to move from Portman Road ? and to where ? No fun for fans here, can concur 100 per cent. We've been kind of left behind as the game has progressed, fell into a backwater of third league mediocrity with little to no way by means of salvation.

So many problems and issues not all of them instantly recoverable or ready for action. Getting rid of Lambert would be one step forward, perhaps the best step. Evans won't sell up and can't see beyond him for the immediate future but for someone who can pick the team, deploy formations and responsible for work ethics and commitment the manager right now is clearly lacking.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:00 pm

What if a giant phoenix flew over Portman Road and took a big shat on it?...wouldn't that be good luck? :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:08 pm

hallamblue wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:14 pm
Well he is by and large :lol: lol: ...but I thought you boys might like to see is and it provokes discussion...which was the aim really.

I would add I don’t agree with his go8mg bust would be an option thingy either...... many people thought getting relegated from the championship would be a “ good thing”. It’s anything but isn’t it.
It has raised good debate which is good for the forum, I for one have never thought getting relegated was a good thing, its an unmitigated disaster.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:08 pm

number 9 wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:00 pm
What if a giant phoenix flew over Portman Road and took a big shat on it?...wouldn't that be good luck? :lol:

Reminds me of an old song that would be sung at Easter Road....

"If I had the wings of a sparrow....
If I had the wings of a crow......
I'd fly o'er the roofs of Tynecastle.....
And shyte on the bastards below."

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:09 pm

I think that's already happened, every time I look in there is sh*te all over the pitch

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:12 pm

Bluemike wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:08 pm

It has raised good debate which is good for the forum, I for one have never thought getting relegated was a good thing, its an unmitigated disaster.
And massive YEP to this........, I remember fearing causing a forum stir when thinking about voicing concerns over being relegated and not posting......, and then the next day you posting that it'd be a fkn disaster.

Lesson for the day....... Bluemike is one outspoken mofo!! :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:17 pm

And it all started with Roy Keane telling Evans it would be easy getting promoted to the Prem...dear oh, dear. :cry:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:26 pm

Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:17 pm
And it all started with Roy Keane telling Evans it would be easy getting promoted to the Prem...dear oh, dear. :cry:
Remember that? I remember it crystal clear yet I cannot find any footage of it.

"You think you'll get the club promoted in the three allocated years?"
"I'll do it in one. I mean its not difficult."

Mevans BURNED forever

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:28 pm

marko69 wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:12 pm
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:08 pm

And massive YEP to this........, I remember fearing causing a forum stir when thinking about voicing concerns over being relegated and not posting......, and then the next day you posting that it'd be a fkn disaster.

Lesson for the day....... Bluemike is one outspoken mofo!! :lol:
Lol, I don't know what you mean 😅

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:43 pm

NO! Coz Sod’s law it would splat all over MY bloody seat !!!! :lol:

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:53 pm

Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:22 pm
Frosty wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:46 pm

How did I agree with myself? I'm confused 😕

When I posted, you had double posted above, so I was simply taking the p*ss out of you dear. :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:00 pm

Keep taking the p*ss Dave ..... he can take it 👍 :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:18 pm

Using the thread title.........

Klopp Out!

:lol: