Saturday's Team

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tinytown

Saturday's Team

Post by Tinytown » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:37 am

Saturdays Team: I wish?

Holy

Mathison
Wolfy
Mcguiness
Kenlock

Thomas
Downes
Nolan
Harrup

Norwood
Parrot

Unfortunately PL will pick the same 433 which will include Chambers, Dozzell and Judge with one up front.

Sack the fool.

Dubai Blue

Re: Saturday's Team

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:56 am

Really? That would be your back 4? Where is the old head there steadying the ship?

With our squad I would never pick a back 4 without Chambers or Ward or possibly both.

How about Mathison Chambers McGuinness Ward? Or even Woolfy instead of MCGuinness? Most of Woolfy's good performances seem to have come alongside Chambers don't they?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:17 am

Sadly I think Matheson will be nothing more than back up.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:27 am

I think Matheson is being brought in so that Chambers will return to CB. Maybe next game is too soon for him to start, so wouldn’t be surprised to see Chambo at RB next game. Unless Lambert really wants to drop Woolfy (who has looked a weak link).

If Norwood is fit, then can’t see Parrott starting. He’s probably nudged ahead of Drinan in the pecking order and will be on the bench.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same starting line-up as last weekend, but with Norwood up front. Kenlock deserves to keep his place.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:48 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:56 am
Really? That would be your back 4? Where is the old head there steadying the ship?

With our squad I would never pick a back 4 without Chambers or Ward or possibly both.

How about Mathison Chambers McGuinness Ward? Or even Woolfy instead of MCGuinness? Most of Woolfy's good performances seem to have come alongside Chambers don't they?
"The old heads" sadly also have old legs and need a rest. Chambers form has dipped so he needs resting. The same applies to Ward. We are not winning any games with "The old heads" so lets try something different. Dont worry PL will think exactly the same as you and change nothing.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:10 pm

I would go with this....

Holy
Matheson Chambers Nsiala Kenlock

Thomas Downes Dozzell Edwards

Norwood parrott

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:06 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:48 am
Dubai Blue wrote:

"The old heads" sadly also have old legs and need a rest. Chambers form has dipped so he needs resting. The same applies to Ward. We are not winning any games with "The old heads" so lets try something different. Dont worry PL will think exactly the same as you and change nothing.
I tend to agree with this. Something need to change, sometimes you have to think outside the box.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:36 pm

From the perspective of “things can’t get any worse”........ If I was Lambert, I’d read these forums and play what the fans are expecting.

What’s the worst that can happen? The team are humped? .... and in a presser...... just say, “Well, 🤷‍♂️, I’m man enough to say I was struggling so decided to do it the fans way.”

The best that can happen is things work out and it’s a big win, and THEN, you DON’T admit to listening to the fans??

Definitely better than being a stubborn pr*ck with the one up front........ play two then blame TB.com! 👍

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:59 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:48 am
Dubai Blue wrote:

I’ve said before our problem has been old heads as fullback where you need speed and energy, and youth in the centre of defence where you need experience.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:04 pm

Well if I was picking the team I might go with

Holy

Matheson
Nsiala
McGuinness
Kenlock

Thomas
Downes
Dozzell
Harrop

Norwood
Parrot

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:37 pm

Hmmm. I'm not ready to go with 4-4-2 just yet. I completely agree with the old legs struggling at this point of the season argument and if Mathieson has the pace to get up and down the right side like Chambers was earlier in the season and Kenlock can do the same on the left side then with Chambers in the centre then fair enough. Besides I don't think Edwards has done enough to get dropped.

I don't think Harrop is cleared yet so maybe my 11 would look like this:

Holy

Matheson
Chambers
McGuinness
Kenlock

Thomas
Downes
Dozzell
Nolan
Edwards

Norwood/Parrot

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:11 pm

Thought Nolan was away being pish @ Posh?

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:38 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:04 pm
Well if I was picking the team I might go with

Holy

Matheson
Nsiala
McGuinness
Kenlock

Thomas
Downes
Dozzell
Harrop

Norwood
Parrot
That's a team I would like to see. I'm not holding my breath though. Lambert is too set in his ways.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:18 pm

There is zero chance of Chambers not being in any team

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:20 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:59 pm
I’ve said before our problem has been old heads as fullback where you need speed and energy, and youth in the centre of defence where you need experience.
Yep I've said the same thing myself.

As far as the formation goes, what makes many of you think Lambert will resort to 4-4-2? Here's what I think the starting line up will be.

Holy

Kenlock
McGuinness
Nsiala or Woolfy (Matheson on bench)
Chambers (Ward on bench)

Harrop (if cleared to play.)
Downes
Dozzell

Thomas
Edwards
Norwood (Parrot on bench)

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:03 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:20 pm
Andym wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:59 pm
Yep I've said the same thing myself.

As far as the formation goes, what makes many of you think Lambert will resort to 4-4-2? Here's what I think the starting line up will be.

Holy

Kenlock
McGuinness
Nsiala or Woolfy (Matheson on bench)
Chambers (Ward on bench)

Harrop (if cleared to play.)
Downes
Dozzell

Thomas
Edwards
Norwood (Parrot on bench)
I think people were choosing their preferred line up rather than predicting Lambert’s. I think yours is pretty close.

I wonder how many of the loanees have been bright in to be regulars and how many are there to provide cover. Time will tell I guess.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:38 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:37 pm
Hmmm. I'm not ready to go with 4-4-2 just yet. I completely agree with the old legs struggling at this point of the season argument and if Mathieson has the pace to get up and down the right side like Chambers was earlier in the season and Kenlock can do the same on the left side then with Chambers in the centre then fair enough. Besides I don't think Edwards has done enough to get dropped.

Holy

Matheson
Chambers
McGuinness
Kenlock

Thomas
Downes
Dozzell
Nolan
Edwards

Norwood/Parrot
I'm intrigued, DB.

Most on this board are crying out for 2 up front. We've played 1 up front all season, and look where it's got us - nowhere. Yet you say you're not ready to go with 2 up front - I just wonder why.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:29 pm

Harrop and Nsiala both out for Saturday.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:49 pm

Harrop out again before he’s ever been in? 🤦‍♂️

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:58 pm

Covid Marko

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:03 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:38 pm
Dubai Blue wrote:

Holy

Matheson
Chambers
McGuinness
Kenlock

Thomas
Downes
Dozzell
Nolan
Edwards

Norwood/Parrot
I'm intrigued, DB.

Most on this board are crying out for 2 up front. We've played 1 up front all season, and look where it's got us - nowhere. Yet you say you're not ready to go with 2 up front - I just wonder why.
It's a good question. I look back to the early games when the 4-3-3 was working very nicely. I know some say that it was 'sussed out' but another view is that our older left and right backs were not able to sustain the momentum ofbombing forwards over a longer period. Also I tend to think that prolonged absences of key players also slower down our passing and reduced our ability to create chances.

Given that we may now be over both of these issues (depending on selections) it might be worth seeing if we can get out mojo back.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:50 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:03 pm
rossi wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:38 pm
Dubai Blue wrote:

Holy

Matheson
Chambers
McGuinness
Kenlock

Thomas
Downes
Dozzell
Nolan
Edwards

Norwood/Parrot
I'm intrigued, DB.

It's a good question. I look back to the early games when the 4-3-3 was working very nicely. I know some say that it was 'sussed out' but another view is that our older left and right backs were not able to sustain the momentum ofbombing forwards over a longer period. Also I tend to think that prolonged absences of key players also slower down our passing and reduced our ability to create chances.

Given that we may now be over both of these issues (depending on selections) it might be worth seeing if we can get out mojo back.
Im not sure we’ve ever had a mojo in the first place. Our first six games were 5 wins and 1 draw and the next seventeen were 6 wins, 2 draws and 9 losses. And that mirrors last season. Surely, over that amount of games that kind of form is the norm. It’s funny because yesterday Matt Gill said that we need to get over this blip. Huh... that’s our normal form! I don’t consider those early games as a reference point as to where we are and we need to start putting it together ASAP.... whatever bloody formation we choose.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:34 pm

Yes, I think some people are getting the wrong message from our first 6 games, and seeing something that is just not there.

Sure - played 6, won 5, draw 1 sounds wonderful and suggests that we were playing really well, but that just was not the case,
So I do not understand the sentiment that if we get some injured players back we will suddenly be world beaters.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:37 pm

I'm with Dubai on this one. I think the injuries did make a difference. We were playing better than at the start of last season.

I really don't think it matters whether we play 1 or 2 up front. It's getting players up in support with them that matters. if we played a true 4-3-3 with 2 wide players, and get 2 midfielders up the pitch, you actually have the 5 up front that was played in the 1950s!

I'm not saying we should stick to 1 up front. I'm happy either way (should i rephrase that?). We just need to commit to attacking teams.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:18 pm
There is zero chance of Chambers not being in any team
Show's what I know.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:31 pm

Bluemike wrote: