Ipswich Town vs Blackpool FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will new signings make a difference?

Ipswich Win
63%
Blackpool Win
19%
Draw
19%

Total votes: 16

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Blackpool FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:04 pm

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:55 pm
Andym wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:52 pm
I think the first goal gave us confidence. We could have conceded 2 before we scored. But then we attacked in the second half, lots of men forward and we could have had 5 or 6
Agreed! Now let's see if we can carry that confidence into the rest of the season. This could be the start of a huge turnaround for us. It is not just the win, it is the manner of it that gives hope.
Agree with that John, the manner has impressed me.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:04 pm

If Ipswich can get on a run and confidence returns then they have every chance of play offs then its game on.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:04 pm

Really pleased with the win! I hope this is the beginning of a winning run; we need it.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:08 pm

A win at Posh and we're on our way. Re Dozzell Hot and cold. Some excellent play in the top 1/3 but still too many passes weak or astray. Needs to tighten up his passing. Matheson yellow card caused by Dozz poor pass.
However I'll take that performance and result all day long. Cider night :D :D

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:09 pm

Actually thoroughly enjoyed that. Thought all played well and maybe if no further injuries can put some pressure on those above us.

Like been mentioned it's not just the win, but how we played.

Great to see a happy forum :)

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:25 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:04 pm
Really pleased with the win! I hope this is the beginning of a winning run; we need it.
So do I, if we were to win Tuesday it would be a statement but please everyone injoy this but lets not get carried away.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:30 pm

Think the preview poll needs closed at 3pm........, 5 more "win votes" than pre-game. Wish the bookies worked like that. :lol:

Fantastic result and the performance sounded much improved. Definitely agreed with Number 9 and the game being "defining". If Lambert & Co can go out and negotiate a win v Posh then it is game on for sure.

Fascinating how you all see Dozzell so differently. Wish I saw more to join in on the debate. Hopefully he's miles ahead of McGavin! :shock:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:42 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:25 pm
number 9 wrote:
So do I, if we were to win Tuesday it would be a statement but please everyone injoy this but lets not get carried away.
I think we can get carried away for 24hrs, Tiny?...hic,hic,hic. :lol:

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:09 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:42 pm
Tinytown wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:25 pm
number 9 wrote:
I think we can get carried away for 24hrs, Tiny?...hic,hic,hic. :lol:
Ok 9 24 hrs it is. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:36 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:30 pm
Think the preview poll needs closed at 3pm........, 5 more "win votes" than pre-game. Wish the bookies worked like that. :lol:

Fantastic result and the performance sounded much improved. Definitely agreed with Number 9 and the game being "defining". If Lambert & Co can go out and negotiate a win v Posh then it is game on for sure.

Fascinating how you all see Dozzell so differently. Wish I saw more to join in on the debate. Hopefully he's miles ahead of McGavin! :shock:
Dozzell is a mix of sublime and sloppy, always has been which is why opinions differ I guess

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:46 pm

That’s the most cohesive and high tempo I’ve seen Town play for ages ... 2-3 seasons tbh. But the formation ( round pegs in round holes ) approach today has definitely made a difference.

Credit must be given to Lambert for the four loanees that he’s brought in . They have added pace , quality and positivity to a squad that has struggled for most of this snd last season.

Let’s see what they do Tuesday v Posh

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:36 pm
marko69 wrote:

Dozzell is a mix of sublime and sloppy, always has been which is why opinions differ I guess
I think that could some him up bit I am yet to see the sublime. How many goals has he created? How many chances has he created? For central midfield it is poor return. He also can't tackle. When we played West Ham pre season when Hirst was in charge that was last time I saw a good player.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:09 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:03 pm
Will certainly settle for that.
With our front men playing like that, I feel that Kayden Jackson has really shot himself in the foot with that red card , as he is really going to struggle to get near the starting 11 now.
I think Jackson would be better than sears with this team playing like they did today and would like to see him start after his ban. Can't fault any player today, why dozzell has had a few bad comments i don't know but hey ho. Credit where its due, a much improved performance and for the first time in I don't know when I felt we could get a goal every time we went into the final third. Only negative, lambert crawled out of his shell to speak to the media after the game. I doubt that would have been the case had we lost, I still think he has to go! Waspy comments when asked about chambers being dropped

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:14 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:58 pm
Bluemike wrote:
marko69 wrote:

I think that could some him up bit I am yet to see the sublime. How many goals has he created? How many chances has he created? For central midfield it is poor return. He also can't tackle. When we played West Ham pre season when Hirst was in charge that was last time I saw a good player.
Maybe you miss the sublime tiny like his team mates do. Dozzell is way above this team and league. He either needs to get promoted with town or go to another team where he has the better players around him to benefit from his vision

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:23 pm

“First win in a while, Paul. How would you sum it up for us?”
“Well as you know I did play for Dortmund and Twickenham is always a hard place to go.......”
“Paul, PAUL...... forget it, pal.”

Didn’t see it ITNO1, but guessing like the above........, utter pish?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:25 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:14 pm
Tinytown wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

Maybe you miss the sublime tiny like his team mates do. Dozzell is way above this team and league. He either needs to get promoted with town or go to another team where he has the better players around him to benefit from his vision
I agree Dozzell has great vision, but he needs other attributes to become a top player...like assists and the occasional goal. I don't agree Jackson will do a better job in this line up; he's had plenty of chances to prove himself and he basically runs around the pitch without scoring like strikers should do. I'm not surprised there are still negative comments about Lambert considering the season we've had so far. Hopefully with a few more wins on the trot, he can turn things around. With that said, another blip and it's Lambert out!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:26 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:23 pm
“Well as you know I did play for Dortmund and Twickenham is always a hard place to go.......”

Today, I actually thought Lambert's comments were sensible.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:42 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:26 pm
marko69 wrote:

Today, I actually thought Lambert's comments were sensible.

👏👏👏👏 Positivity all round. Great stuff. 👍👌

Hopefully go to Posh and really play Darren Ferguson’s tactics off the park.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:49 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:25 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Tinytown wrote:

I agree Dozzell has great vision, but he needs other attributes to become a top player...like assists and the occasional goal. I don't agree Jackson will do a better job in this line up; he's had plenty of chances to prove himself and he basically runs around the pitch without scoring like strikers should do. I'm not surprised there are still negative comments about Lambert considering the season we've had so far. Hopefully with a few more wins on the trot, he can turn things around. With that said, another blip and it's Lambert out!
And Sears doesn't? Lmao

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:12 pm

marko69 wrote:

Pretty much marko, he got the arse ache when asked how chambers reacted to getting dropped

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:23 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:46 pm
That’s the most cohesive and high tempo I’ve seen Town play for ages ... 2-3 seasons tbh. But the formation ( round pegs in round holes ) approach today has definitely made a difference.

Credit must be given to Lambert for the four loanees that he’s brought in . They have added pace , quality and positivity to a squad that has struggled for most of this snd last season.

Let’s see what they do Tuesday v Posh
I agree.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:34 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:49 pm
number 9 wrote:
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:

And Sears doesn't? Lmao
What makes you think I value Sears anymore than Jackson? We’ve got Parrot, Norwood and Drinan yeah?

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:42 am

Didn't watch the game but judging from the reports we were playing crisp football with plenty of pace and movement and often moving the ball quickly. This is what we want and if we can get that with a team containing so many new faces then we can hope for even better once they get better used to playing together.

I do hope we can keep the same line up for the next game although maybe Chambers back in for Wolfenden might be sensible with better attackers to face.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:36 am

number 9 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:34 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:49 pm
number 9 wrote:

And Sears doesn't? Lmao
What makes you think I value Sears anymore than Jackson? We’ve got Parrot, Norwood and Drinan yeah?
Hopefully you don't, was getting worried about you.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:52 am

Looking back on yesterday, I'm hoping it wasn't a false dawn. It was great to see the confidence return and dominate the second half.

But the first half was even and little different to previous recent performancex, and with better finishing we could have been 2-0 down.

Parrott looked like a very useful addition. Less convinced by Matheson who in the first halfa didn't get forward at all, and I wondered why he was playing in preference to Chambers. He got forward more second half, but so would Chambers have done as we were playing in their half so much.

Kenlock had another good game, just wish he could avoid picking up early bookings.

The real disappointment to me was Thomas. He wasn't great against Crewe , but yesterday he was very poor.

Dozzell created several chances from a more advanced position, but they weren't taken.

The real difference in the second half was that we pinned them back. I'd said on a previous thead that a lone striker doesn't have to be isolated. The 2 wide men got forward (admittedly neither had great games) and Dozzell and Judge also were there in support.

Positive signs then, but we have to take that confidence and attacking mentality into the next matches.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:44 pm

I only managed to listen to part of the game yesterday, but things certalnly sounded more upbeat that in the last few weeks. Although not a Lambert fan I do hope for ITFC's sake that these new loanees will help improve the downward spiral & get us moving in the right direction.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:45 pm

well there were certainly some signs of improvement in the second half - I thought both Parrot and Matheson looked really good, and Harrop also when he came on.

Not getting carried away, because I thought that Blackpool were pretty ordinary and their GK should definitely have stopped Judge's shot going in, but I think there's room for a little optimism now.

Funny, though, for the last 3 or 4 seasons I've been banging on and on that we'll never get anywhere while Chambers and Skuse are ever-present - not sure if this is the first league game for years that neither of them have played, but...…..I'm just saying ;)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:27 pm

To be fair to Chambo I'm not sure Matheson did anything that he couldn't or wouldn't have done but I take your point and hopefully its the way forward now.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:23 pm

I think Chambers and Skuse are coming to the end of their playing careers....this season. Sad for them but that’s football. However, I do think they still have a role to play this season, in certain games and for part of those certain games. We need experience in the side agains the better sides. But of course the downside is their lack of pace. It’s how they’re used between ow and the end of the season that will be key. It’s not an easy line to walk is it .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:42 pm

I think Kenlock in the last Two games has also made Ward look a bit of a Donkey