Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we back up Saturdays result?

Posh Win
30%
Town Win
30%
Draw
40%

Total votes: 10

Frosty
Forum Owner

Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:59 pm

Image Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town Image

Tuesday 9th February 2021 – 19:00

London Road Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Well Its A Start !!.........

I don't know if it was just me but I have to say I found Saturday’s performance and result against Blackpool most refreshing and dare I say it, a reason for hope and optimism. OK so it may only be one game and One swallow doesn't make a Summer and all that but we have to start somewhere and I think some of the Football we played was a vast improvement on a lot of our recent efforts, the movement was so much better, the passing by and large on point and we actually created several good chances, on another day we could well have had Five and by the close of play we were more than worthy winners.

Of course much of the talk before kick off and indeed after the game was about the new players and Paul Lambert's team selection which I have to admit surprised me, of course the big surprise was the undroppable skipper Like Chambers being on the bench, it looked brave such was the youthful and inexperienced look of our back Four but it worked and they did very well, to stick with Two young CB's in Luke Woolfenden and Mark McGuinness when Chambo was available could so easily have backfired, add to that another start for Myles Kenlock who was in despite Stephen Ward being available and Lambo really was lining himself up for a fair bit of stick had it not gone our way so I suppose credit where credit is due.

I have to say I was really impressed with our new signings, for me Troy Parrott was excellent and he could turn out to be some player, not only for us but Spurs too, at such a tender age everything about him impressed me, his movement, his runs, his ability for a killer pass which should have resulted in a goal for Freddie Sears had the officials not got it wrong, he chased everything and looks good with the ball at his feet too, for me a great addition to the squad.

Luke Matheson at RB started tentatively and kept it safe before finding his feet as he grew into the game, by the end he was looking very assured and started to get forward more but for one so young and on his debut too he did well and looks every bit the player many tout him to be. We only had a Cameo from Josh Harrop but again I liked what I saw, cool and composed and has good feet, I suspect he could well prove to be a massive coup for the club in the weeks ahead. Some of the regulars also had good games with the likes of Judge, Downes and Dozzell all having good games, all in all much improved and for a change reasons to be cheerful.

Of course it is only One game I hear everyone saying and that is spot on, we needa run and it needs to start now, Peterborough away is no easy place to go but from what I saw of them at Portman Road recently we really have little to fear, yes they won but they were not much better than us, add to that we look much better equipped ourselves now and while I am not going to go all Knee jerk and predict a winI do think we can come away with something, assuming the game goes ahead. So it's a draw for me, I just hope we stick with a similar line up to that which looked so much better on Saturday. COYB'S

The Opposition – Peterborough United

Peterborough United formed in 1934 at Peterborough's Angel Hotel to provide a replacement for Peterborough & Fletton United, who had folded two years previously. The Posh played in the old Midland League. They won this league on six occasions, including five seasons in a row from 1956 to 1960. The Posh were elected to The Football League for the beginning of the 1960–61 season, winning Division Four.

Following the Fourth Division Championship success in 1960–61, The Posh spent seven seasons in the 3rd Division. They reached the quarter-finals of the 1964–65 FA Cup, beating Arsenal and Swansea Town along the way before going out to Chelsea. They were relegated back to the 4th Division for financial irregularities in the summer of 1968. The club took six seasons to return to Division 3, winning the 4th Division championship.

In 1977–78 the club threatened to go one better until they narrowly missed out on promotion to Division 2 when they drew the last game of the season at champions Wrexham (0–0) when a win was needed to go up. The game was notable for the fact that over 2,000 Preston North End fans travelled to Wrexham to watch the game and cheer on the home side – Preston were the club who went up because Peterborough did not win. The Wrexham defeat cast a long shadow over the club and it fell into a long decline. Relegation followed in 1979 and Posh subsequently spent 12 years back in the 4th division. The 1980s was a long story of mismanagement and false dawns, punctuated by the odd cup run.

In January 1991, Chris Turner, who had played in the 1974 Fourth division championship team took over as manager and the team embarked on a run of 13 unbeaten games that propelled them into the top four. Six players were signed on transfer deadline day, which at the time was a record for the number of players signed by one club on a single day. On the final day of the season, Posh travelled to Chesterfield needing a win to seal promotion. Despite going two goals down in the first ten minutes, the team rallied and drew level with goals from David Robinson and George Berry. However, Posh's closest rivals, Blackpool lost at Walsall and promotion was achieved.

The following season arguably remains the most successful in the club's history. After an inconsistent start the team hit form during the Autumn when they knocked Wimbledon and Newcastle United out of the League Cup. The reward was a home tie with a Liverpool. Garry Kimble scored the only goal after 19 minutes prompting wild celebrations and a place in the quarter-finals. In the league, the team went from strength to strength and surged up the table. Middlesbrough ended the League Cup run after a replay and there was further disappointment when the team missed out on a trip to Wembley in the Football League Trophy when they lost to Stoke City over two legs in the area final.

Progress continued in the league and a play-off place was clinched on the last day of the season despite a 1–0 defeat to champions Brentford. The following week, Huddersfield Town came to London Road for the first leg of the Semi-final. Captain Mick Halsall's last minute equaliser levelled the score at 2–2. Three days later, the supporters travelled north more in hope than expectation but they were rewarded when the team came from a goal down to win 2–1 with Worrell Sterling and Steve Cooper scoring the goals. On 24 May 1992, Peterborough United played at Wembley for the first time, against Stockport County in the Third Division playoff final. With Posh winning 2–1 and gaining promotion to the new First division. They played in Football League Division One between 1992 and 1994 and finished 10th, their highest ever league finish, in 1992–93 season.

During the 2005–06 season the club had three managers: Team owner Barry Fry returned to management following former England international Mark Wright's sacking in January 2006. Wright's assistant Steve Bleasdale was then appointed acting manager, but resigned in April. Keith Alexander joined as manager from Lincoln City for 2006–07 but was sacked in January 2007 after a run of poor form and was replaced by Darren Ferguson. He led the club to back-to-back promotions from League Two to the Championship in his two full seasons in charge. By November 2009 Posh were bottom of the Championship and Ferguson left the club, to be replaced by Mark Cooper. In February 2010, after only 13 games in charge, Cooper also left the club and Jim Gannon was appointed in his place. Following confirmation of relegation from the Championship after a 2–2 draw at Barnsley, Gannon was replaced by Gary Johnson.

Gary Johnson left the club on 10 January 2011 due to policy disagreement. Two days after Johnson's departure, Darren Ferguson returned to the club on a four and a half-year contract. Peterborough finally finished 4th in 2010-11 Football League One with one of the worst defensive records in the third tier, conceding over 70 goals, but scoring 106; the most for anybody in the Football League that season. Peterborough beat Milton Keynes Dons in the playoff semi-finals. They defeated Huddersfield Town in the Final with a 3–0 victory, and gained promotion back to the Championship.

Darren Ferguson led the team to safety in its first season back in the Championship, leading to a finish in 18th. However, the Posh were relegated back the following season, after losing to Crystal Palace 3–2 on 4 May 2013, the final match of the season.

Darren Ferguson ended his time as Peterborough United manager on 21 February 2015, following a 3–0 defeat at Milton Keynes Dons.

Over the proceeding League 1 seasons Peterborough finished 9th in the 2014/15 season, 13th in the 2015/16 season, 11th in the 2016/17 season, 9th in the 2017/18 season and 7th last season.

Ferguson was re-appointed as manager on 26 January 2019 for the third time with a deal agreed until the end of season after the dismissal of Steve Evans, with Gavin Strachan as his assistant.

Last season in the shortened Covid 19 season the Posh finished in 7th place.

The Manager – Darren Ferguson

Form Guide

Peterborough United Last 5 Matches – currently in 4th place with 46 points

19 Jan Peterborough 2 - 1 Charlton

23 Jan Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Peterborough

26 Jan Peterborough 0 - 0 Bristol Rovers

30 Jan Shrewsbury 2 - 0 Peterborough

6 Feb Peterborough 2 - 0 Crewe Alexandra

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – currently in 10th place with 39 points

23 Jan Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Peterborough

26 Jan Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Sunderland

30 Jan Crewe Alexandra 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

2 Feb AFC Wimbledon pp. Ipswich Town

6 Feb Ipswich Town 2 - 0 Blackpool

Match Referee – Ben Toner

PETERBOROUGH UNITED 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1
[/quote]

JOHN DEERE

Re: Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JOHN DEERE » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:23 pm

The win on Saturday was important but it was the manner of the win that gives me real hope for the rest of the season. The team played with increasing, real, conviction as the game progressed. The new signings impressed.

This is going to be a difficult match to get anything from, but if we can perform to the same level again I think we could see a major turnaround in our fortunes. I'm no fan of Lambert but we have enough quality now to do well in spite of his shortcomings. Fingers crossed.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:20 pm

Stadium pic:: I'd love to go to that stadium with a pot of blue paint, pot of black paint and turn that into, "The Pish" :lol: Imagine a disgruntled sacked employee doing it.
Well, I'd find it funny.

They're not Pish though and it would seem I am the first pish voter with The Pish posh for the win. Bottom of the individual Prediction league so don't be fretting over this......., 2-0 pish-posh.

Ref caption:
Crowded penalty box:
Ref: "Guys, guys, just thought i'd let you all know."
Players: "Yeah? What?
Ref: "When I do this in a dark room with a torch, there is a nice bunny rabbit on the ceiling."

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:56 pm

I have a feeling there will be blue and orange balls on the pitch for this one! :D

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:27 am

Will go for 3-0 Town if we keep the same formation with Harrop starting. Great movement from this lot especially if Dozzell and Wolfenden keep all their passes accurate.
COYB.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:59 am

Holy

Mathison
Wolfy
Mcguiness
Kenlock

Bishop
Downes
Harrup

Edwards
Parrot/Norwood
Judge

If we have to go 433, i would like the above.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:12 am

Tinytown wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:59 am
Holy

Mathison
Wolfy
Mcguiness
Kenlock

Bishop
Downes
Nolan

Edwards
Parrot/Norwood
Harrup

Where’s Judgey? MOTM on Saturday. I would have thought he’d play tonight.

I think Chambers will return. Lambert mentioned post game about the Posh game and their sh*t pitch - so I think Chambo’s hairy arse is suited for this game. Instead of Woolfy - McGuinness looks a bit stronger at the moment.

I’d stick with Sears as he does tend to support the full back ... and it pisses Mike off.

Edwards to return in place of Thomas ( he looked our weakest player).

Happy to stick with Parrott with Norwood coming of the bench in the second half.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:09 am

Couldn't agree more about Dozzell, one of the first names on my team sheet too.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:12 am

BlueBalls wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:30 am
Dozzell is the first name on the sheet for me every time. Adds a bit of much needed flare and finesse. Most of it is lost on this lot but drop him in to a good team and he'd excel. I'm amazed hes still with us tbh.

Im going for snowed off, but otherwise 1 - 2 Town win.
He’s certainly better in a more forward role, like last weekend. Downes was better playing deeper. Can’t say Dozzell added anything defensively in a deep role. And, yes, I could see him play for better teams in a better division. Not sure he’d excel on a mud heap tonight, though. I would understand if Nolan came in for Dozzell tonight.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:59 pm

Id keep the team the same as for Saturday with one exception . Chambers in for Woolfie : we need an experienced head in the defence for the Posh forwards tonight I feel

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:32 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Im going for snowed off.....
If it’s anything like South East Scotland...... yep, I’ll wager that too.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:45 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:12 am
Tinytown wrote:
Holy

Mathison
Wolfy
Mcguiness
Kenlock

Bishop
Downes
Nolan

Edwards
Parrot/Norwood
Harrup

I think Chambers will return. Lambert mentioned post game about the Posh game and their sh*t pitch - so I think Chambo’s hairy arse is suited for this game. Instead of Woolfy - McGuinness looks a bit stronger at the moment.

I’d stick with Sears as he does tend to support the full back ... and it pisses Mike off.

Happy to stick with Parrott with Norwood coming of the bench in the second half.
There was a virtually un-breakable rule throughout all levels of football during my younger years, and I still thinks it's good for today - NEVER change a winning team. So for me, the team tonight should be the same that started on Saturday, injury situation permitting.

crisg22

Post by crisg22 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:43 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:12 am
BlueBalls wrote:
Dozzell is the first name on the sheet for me every time. Adds a bit of much needed flare and finesse. Most of it is lost on this lot but drop him in to a good team and he'd excel. I'm amazed hes still with us tbh.

Im going for snowed off, but otherwise 1 - 2 Town win.
He’s certainly better in a more forward role, like last weekend. Downes was better playing deeper. Can’t say Dozzell added anything defensively in a deep role. And, yes, I could see him play for better teams in a better division. Not sure he’d excel on a mud heap tonight, though. I would understand if Nolan came in for Dozzell tonight.
I think that when we were trying to play every ball out from the back the idea of playing Dozzell in front of the defence made sense-it gave the defenders someone to pass to who could use the ball effectively (in theory at least). Now that we are mixing it up much more from the back he can be used further up field ( and create goal scoring chances as good old Mick Mills was advocating some time back)

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:41 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:25 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:32 pm
BlueBalls wrote:
Im going for snowed off.....
If it’s anything like South East Scotland...... yep, I’ll wager that too.
Well, the trains are running still on this live feed https://youtu.be/nytz0EWDLxQ
Where’s the snow?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:43 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:56 pm
Exactly..... but I am considering the £4 subscription to watch all the cams at the same time, cheaper than iFollow :shock: :lol: :lol:
River Nene looks nice... and still no snow.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:14 pm

2 up front?

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:21 pm

Don't understand that line up at all. Chambers and ward back in. Why?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:30 pm

Disappointing to say the least, Chambers at CB yes but ffs not RB again, no Thomas in squad at all ?

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:32 pm

Happy with the changes except I think Kenlock is very unlucky after the last 2 games.

I imagine the thinking is the experienced Fullbacks are better defensively against a supposedly better team

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:34 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:45 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:12 am
Tinytown wrote:
Holy

Mathison
Wolfy
Mcguiness
Kenlock

Bishop
Downes
Nolan

Edwards
Parrot/Norwood
Harrup

There was a virtually un-breakable rule throughout all levels of football during my younger years, and I still thinks it's good for today - NEVER change a winning team. So for me, the team tonight should be the same that started on Saturday, injury situation permitting.
I’d go along with that Rossi, it’s virtually how Klopp managed Liverpools team last season. Much harder to achieve this season with a busier schedule and so many players picking up injuries.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:42 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:32 pm
I imagine the thinking is the experienced Fullbacks are better defensively against a supposedly better team
And that’s why the erse needs sacked. Officially finished win Lambert tonight if Ipswich are schooled by Posh.
100% with Rossi in that you don’t tinker after a very positive win.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:48 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:42 pm
Andym wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:32 pm
And that’s why the erse needs sacked. Officially finished win Lambert tonight if Ipswich are schooled by Posh.
100% with Rossi in that you don’t tinker after a very positive win.
Except it was only the serving half that was positive. And 3 of the players dropped were average or worse.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:59 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:21 pm
Don't understand that line up at all. Chambers and ward back in. Why?
Totally agree Tiny. Shows lambert is going for a point. Our best performance by a mile last Saturday and now he changes it. So much for making the shirt your own sh*te he spouted. Really getting funked off with him week by week.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:04 pm

How can anyone be expected to play on this pitch ? Disgrace

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:06 pm

Get in !!!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:07 pm

Get in there Nors.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:07 pm

Yeeeeaaahh. Go Town. 2 up top helps

crisg22

Post by crisg22 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:08 pm

Route 1!

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:10 pm

Only way to play on that pitch

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:15 pm

Yes Norwood get in. Haven't been able to follow a Live game for a while because of Work.