Referee locks heads with Alan Judge

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Referee locks heads with Alan Judge

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:45 pm

However tempted or provoked I’m not sure referee’s are supposed to do this, and as a full time serving Officer in the RAF I would expect a little more self control. I bet there’s been some banter in the Officers Mess this morning and I hope neither tested positive for Covid after the game.

This was what was reported by the BBC after the match for anyone who’s not seen it.

Referee Darren Drysdale locked heads with Ipswich midfielder Alan Judge in an extraordinary exchange during their goalless League One draw with Northampton.

The official moved his head towards the Irishman late in the game and then briefly appeared to square up to the 32-year-old, before being ushered away by Northampton's Lloyd Jones.

Judge, who had protested after being penalised for simulation, was then shown a yellow card, the fifth booking of the match.

The Football Association has been contacted and is aware of the incident.

Ipswich manager Paul Lambert wants the EFL to investigate the confrontation between Drysdale and Judge.

"I've texted Mike Jones [EFL head of referees] this morning to say have a look at the footage of the head thing," Lambert told Talksport.

"It looks as if the referee went in there and I said to him after the game, 'Did you put your head in my player?'

"He couldn't answer it and that's the reason I spoke to Mike. I haven't seen that in a long, long while."

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Referee locks heads with Alan Judge

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:24 pm

I agree entirely about footballers petulant behaviour and swearing at referees etc and it shouldn’t be tolerated, but there are proper ways of dealing with it and one of them isn’t by meeting aggression with aggression. The next stage is players and referees fighting one another. If Alan Judge behaved aggressively towards the referee he should have received a straight red card and been fined by both the FA and the club, and today neither referee nor player would have made any news headlines. As much sympathy as I may have for the referee, in my opinion on this occasion he was completely wrong and most likely will be reprimanded for his conduct. By all accounts up to this point of the game his performance last night was excellent, maybe next season he could be in line to move up to the Championship, if this is a possibility last nights headlines won’t help his refereeing career.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:37 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:24 pm
I agree entirely about footballers petulant behaviour and swearing at referees etc and it shouldn’t be tolerated, but there are proper ways of dealing with it and one of them isn’t by meeting aggression with aggression. The next stage is players and referees fighting one another. If Alan Judge behaved aggressively towards the referee he should have received a straight red card and been fined by both the FA and the club, and today neither referee nor player would have made any news headlines. As much sympathy as I may have for the referee, in my opinion on this occasion he was completely wrong and most likely will be reprimanded for his conduct. By all accounts up to this point of the game his performance last night was excellent, maybe next season he could be in line to move up to the Championship, if this is a possibility last nights headlines won’t help his refereeing career.
Totally agree with every word, well said. Referees have standards also and who can send a ref off during the game? He has to be accountable for if not, then what next?

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:55 pm

The referee in question has now apologised. Still think he will be suspended or even worse. He does look quite a angry chappie in the picture

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2021/februa ... e-apology/

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:19 pm

Agree, ref is in the wrong and that’s not really debatable.

But adding to Blueballs post....... refs deserve a medal (not for their footballing “genius”) but for what they endure. Not just for the backchat but for watching players roll around the ground looking like they’re having an epileptic fit. Neymar @ 2018 WC? I’d have sent him off for that then dealt with the investigation afterwards.

Players...... not all, but most ——> pussies.

Rugby, (both) Aussie Rules, NFL....... all big strapping bruisers full of respect.
“Soccer” players? Just jumped up, overpaid little cnuts.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:51 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:55 pm
The referee in question has now apologised. Still think he will be suspended or even worse. He does look quite a angry chappie in the picture

How about the gobby little shyte that Judge is , apologising for what HE said to the ref? He must have said something very inflammatory for the ref to react in that way. And Downes is now saint either >>>"Captain" material ?..... my arse.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:30 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:51 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:

How about the gobby little shyte that Judge is , apologising for what HE said to the ref? He must have said something very inflammatory for the ref to react in that way. And Downes is now saint either >>>"Captain" material ?..... my arse.
What did Judge say ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:45 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:30 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:

What did Judge say ?
I don’t suppose we’ll ever know the answer to that question and the referee is unlikely to tell either for fear of more controversy.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:51 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:

Speaking as an ex referee, this guy should never referee at top level again. No suspension etc just finished.
No matter what the abuse is, what he did should never be tolerated, else we have a complete mess.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:56 pm

Lets be honest here, 99% of footballers are not like how Gary Lineker if lead to believe played. They are not angels.

Again like I said in other posts referees deserve to be respected and I am not saying its right for them to get abused and sworn at. Without referees there would be no football.
I could not of refereed, for no doubt I would be arrested for assault, they have my utmost respect.

Having said all that having watched the incident over few times Judge did not run at the official, no waving of arms, certainly did not look threatening. So can only believe he was verbal. Referees have red cards, they can send players off if too bad with the abuse. Judge was no was worse than what he has had before. All referees and officials get it, if the ref can't take it from Judge think he could to the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic who is a complete arse, and there's others. Don't make it right but just being honest.

At the moment we are all simmering with so many negative thoughts and emotions because our football team is in the damn worse shape of living memory, we are hurting and we want CHANGE.
I really understand all the pulling hair out and the loathsome thoughts we have right now. I am the same but this incident cannot go unpunished for then it will be a free for for all on the football pitch with the people charged with officiating letting the game go to the dogs

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:24 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:

What did Judge say ?
I haven’t a clue tbh, but players constantly abuse refs at all levels . Maybe some responsibility should be shouldered by these so called “ professional” players in the game. The instigator of the original offence rarely seems to get served to he same level of justice that the person who “ reacts” does.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:26 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:51 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:

Speaking as an ex referee, this guy should never referee at top level again. No suspension etc just finished.
No matter what the abuse is, what he did should never be tolerated, else we have a complete mess.
....and the player who levied abuse at the ref, what does he get for his abusive behaviour?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:27 pm

Referee Darren Drysdale has been charged with improper conduct by the Football Association after clashing with Ipswich midfielder Alan Judge.

Drysdale has apologised for locking heads with Judge during Tuesday's goalless draw against Northampton Town.

The official moved his head towards Judge in the 90th minute and briefly appeared to square up to him.

In a statement, 49-year-old Drysdale said he "did not maintain his composure".

He has until Thursday, 4 March to respond to the FA charge.

"I can only apologise to Alan and Ipswich Town," Drysdale added in a statement released by the Professional Game Match Officials Limited.

"I fully understand it is important for us as referees to maintain our composure throughout the game and always engage with players in a professional manner.

"I'm sorry that I did not do that."

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:35 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:

What an idiotic thing to say. Have you never had a bad day? He’s still human... everyone loses it once in a while. Especially when you’ve been called every name under the sun for years. And you want to finish his career? Wow.

Top level? You should see the refs in League One.

No refs are going to look at this and nut a footballer over the next weekend. Ridiculous over-reaction. It’s amazing how much sh*t we all give refs every every game.. players, managers,fans,... and then just one of gives back ... and it’s like everyone becomes Mary Poppins and they’re so outraged.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:37 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:27 pm
Referee Darren Drysdale has been charged with improper conduct by the Football Association after clashing with Ipswich midfielder Alan Judge.

Drysdale has apologised for locking heads with Judge during Tuesday's goalless draw against Northampton Town.

The official moved his head towards Judge in the 90th minute and briefly appeared to square up to him.

In a statement, 49-year-old Drysdale said he "did not maintain his composure".

He has until Thursday, 4 March to respond to the FA charge.

"I can only apologise to Alan and Ipswich Town," Drysdale added in a statement released by the Professional Game Match Officials Limited.

"I fully understand it is important for us as referees to maintain our composure throughout the game and always engage with players in a professional manner.

"I'm sorry that I did not do that."
I'd be astonished if he referees at top level again. Can't see it being any different in England but in Scotland I know he wouldn't referee at top level again. Not an earthy. He's also let down his fellow referees with his conduct, no matter how the player conducted himself verbally.

I suspect at 49 he was probably near the end of his top level career anyway. Interesting to see if he would have done that at 41 ?

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:45 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:35 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:

What an idiotic thing to say. Have you never had a bad day? He’s still human... everyone loses it once in a while. Especially when you’ve been called every name under the sun for years. And you want to finish his career? Wow.

No refs are going to look at this and nut a footballer over the next weekend. Ridiculous over-reaction. It’s amazing how much sh*t we all give refs every every game.. players, managers,fans,... and then just one of gives back ... and it’s like everyone becomes Mary Poppins and they’re so outraged.
Wonder if its ever crossed your mind that your response may be idiotic ??
BTW to get to the Football League as a referee you have to be damn good.
To get to Premiership/Championship you have to be exceptional.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:57 pm

Drysdale should not have done what he did, we all know that but I too think to end his managerial career because of it would be totally wrong and unjust, it's a split second reaction and nothing more, christ players cheat, whinge and moan all the time, every game we see it across the country and by and large they get away with it, we have no idea what may or may not have been said by Judge or Downes but given our recent filthy disciplinary record I expect it was OTT for him to react like that. Give him his punishment and move on.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:00 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:45 pm
tangfastic wrote:
valleyroad wrote:

No... I’m happy with my response.

If you care so much about good behaviour on a football field.... why do we not hear about abuses against refs on a game by game situation? No, we all accept that all refs get call get c*cks and w*nkers by players. We all accept it and we all give sh*t to refs. But just One ref gives back and upsets a players fringe and ego and that ref has to be banned for life. A player who get sent off gets a ban for 1-3 games,.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:05 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:57 pm
Drysdale should not have done what he did, we all know that but I too think to end his managerial career because of it would be totally wrong and unjust, it's a split second reaction and nothing more, christ players cheat, whinge and moan all the time, every game we see it across the country and by and large they get away with it, we have no idea what may or may not have been said by Judge or Downes but given our recent filthy disciplinary record I expect it was OTT for him to react like that. Give him his punishment and move on.
I agree. The abuse they take and the cheating make their job impossible. I’m amazed anyone still does it.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:06 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:00 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:45 pm
tangfastic wrote:

No... I’m happy with my response.

If you care so much about good behaviour on a football field.... why do we not hear about abuses against refs on a game by game situation? No, we all accept that all refs get call get c*cks and w*nkers by players. We all accept it and we all give sh*t to refs. But just One ref gives back and upsets a players fringe and ego and that ref has to be banned for life. A player who get sent off gets a ban for 1-3 games,.
Lets see how it ends up. I'll go for he's refereed his last game in the Football League

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:11 pm

Excuse my candor, but I really don't give a sh*t.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:56 pm

After reading this thread and finding it interesting, I do agree with what is being said mostly.

For me, the Referee should be given same kind of punishment as if it was a player pressing his head against the referees. No worse
I certainly do not wish or want the referee to be struct off the refereeing list.

Even Judge doesn't want to make a big deal of it, but some kind of punishment will be given and rightly so.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:59 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:

What did Judge say ?
well having watched the footage a few times, it's beyond dispute that Judge did say something.

What he said we will never know - I do not think for one minute that the referee will ever disclose what was said, and I'm pretty sure that Judge is too cowardly to disclose what he said.

But I'm guessing that whatever was said was not particularly nice - and for whatever reason the referee just snapped. That is an entirely human reaction, and without knowing what was said who the hell are we to judge (no pun intended). The only issue I have is that the ref showed him only a yellow card, surely a really bad personal insult would merit a red - maybe the referee had lost control of himself so much that he didn't realise.

As I said on another thread - I have never met Judge: but from his general demeanor on pitch, his constant moaning at and blaming of his team mates, things I have heard him say on pitch at various times, and his general insolent countenance, he comes across to me as a nasty jumped-up little sod, and no doubt if I ever met him I, too, would want to square up to him.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:37 am

rossi wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:59 am
Steve and Jo wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

What did Judge say ?
well having watched the footage a few times, it's beyond dispute that Judge did say something.

What he said we will never know - I do not think for one minute that the referee will ever disclose what was said, and I'm pretty sure that Judge is too cowardly to disclose what he said.

But I'm guessing that whatever was said was not particularly nice - and for whatever reason the referee just snapped. That is an entirely human reaction, and without knowing what was said who the hell are we to judge (no pun intended). The only issue I have is that the ref showed him only a yellow card, surely a really bad personal insult would merit a red - maybe the referee had lost control of himself so much that he didn't realise.

As I said on another thread - I have never met Judge: but from his general demeanor on pitch, his constant moaning at and blaming of his team mates, things I have heard him say on pitch at various times, and his general insolent countenance, he comes across to me as a nasty jumped-up little sod, and no doubt if I ever met him I, too, would want to square up to him.
The St Mirren manager Jim Goodwin was a nightmare for referees on the pitch, off the pitch you will be hard pushed to find a nicer man.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:09 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:59 am
Steve and Jo wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

What did Judge say ?

No Judge has been very astute in allowing the ref to "accept" all the blame hasn't he . He basically has got away with this IMO and yes the ref could have double yellow carded him , but chose not too. More a refection on him than Judge.

Suffice to say Judge is no saint in all this and I would trust him as far as I could spit him tbh . He's another that will likely be gone ion the summer.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:36 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:24 pm
Nice to see a good sensible post on this. Only bit I doubt is he will be reprimanded. I think he'll be binned. If he is reprimanded then he will be given meaningless matches in remote parts of England until he's hacked off and quits ! At 49 the FA will also see him as a referee they can do without.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:47 pm

So everyone else's posts are not sensible because the content differs from how you see it ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:40 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:47 pm
So everyone else's posts are not sensible because the content differs from how you see it ?
:lol:

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:59 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:47 pm
Sorry apologies, need to be careful with my words next time. I just thought how Charnwood had phrased it was sensible, you are correct to pull me up :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:46 pm

Darren Drysdale will not referee Southend's game with Bolton today after being charged with improper conduct by the Football Association, he has until 4 March to reply to the charge and has been replaced by Declan Bourne for the League Two match.