It Bites

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Cumbrian

It Bites

Post by Cumbrian » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:11 pm

Carlisle United fan in peace.

I ventured into your forum after the game the other evening where the ref lost it, just seeing what you guys thought. It would have been interesting if fans were in the ground.

I thought your manager sounded like it was an ideal distraction from the game and your current form.

Anyway, I looked at some of the threads and read the one “today’s footie bet” and one of the board members was upset as Carlisle had cost him his coupon, read further down and another post says something along the lines of “yeah, shitty Cumbrians, what have they have done apart from 80s group “it bites”

Yes that’s true, they are Cumbrian, Whitehaven to be exact.

But surely, and I believe he is one of your greatest players should have been mentioned, the one and only Kevin Beattie ?

Also David Geddes and Steve McCall were all born in Carlisle.

I’m happy to point that your club has done very well out of this football outpost.

Best wise he’s

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: It Bites

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:37 pm

Hiya mate,
Welcome to the forum, please feel free to hang around. I'm sure whoever posted that particular comment was only having a laugh and meant nothing by it, and as you say the Greatest player in our history, Kevin Beattie does indeed come from there, we should be eternally grateful.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:47 pm

Didnt see that post - but I bet it’s Marko.

I remember him saying before that Freddie Sears looks like Frank Dunnery (lead singer and guitarist from It Bites). Probably takes a free kick better than Freddie.

Must admit to being a fan of It Bites and Frank in the eighties.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:50 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:47 pm
Didnt see that post - but I bet it’s Marko.

I remember him saying before that Freddie Sears looks like Frank Dunnery (lead singer and guitarist from It Bites). Probably takes a free kick better than Freddie.

Must admit to being a fan of It Bites and Frank in the eighties.
"It bites" won me a T-shirt in a radio phone-in once. :lol:

Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:33 pm

Just had a quick look back and it was Marko

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:54 pm

Lol marko .... well there you have it. Have a rant about Hibs that’ll. get him going . When I’d seen your post marko name popped up in my head if I’m being honest .

But yes you’re right .... Towns history would be a lot lot poker if Carlisle hadn’t been so generous with its footballing talent to us . Thanks for that 👍 :D

Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:10 pm

Our pleasure to send such high calibre players to help you guys out.

It got me thinking to the excitement of being a Carlisle fan when we signed Eric Gates from Sunderland around 1990. This was like signing Messi for us I assure you.

Excitement was at fever pitch to see him play, I wish I could tell you what a success he was, pleasure to watch him, took the team to another level etc etc, however none of those things applied.

I have never seen such a disinterested footballer. He was obviously on a decent wage and probably a last decent pay day. He really couldn’t have cared less, I don’t think he lasted the season, shocking he was.

Compare that to when we signed Michael Bridges, ex Leeds United, that was like watching Messi !!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:45 am

Do you recall the end of season final day event when their goalkeeper reached legendary status, scored for them to save their professional league status. It's been written up a number of times but here is one example on what occurred that day. Well worth a look, maybe you won't get to read it again. You don't have to be a fan of Carlisle to imagine and envisage the experience of that day.

Brunton Park, Carlisle, May 1999

How long ? asked Carlisle United captain David Brightwell to the referee.

'Ten seconds' he replied. 'This is your last chance.' Carlisle United had won a corner-kick in the fourth minute of stoppage time. They were
drawing their match against Plymouth Argyle 1 - 1 but needed to win to preserve their Nationwide League Division Three status. All eleven players
went up for the corner, including goalkeeper Jimmy Glass.

It had been a desperate week for Carlisle fans. On the Wednesday Scarborough had beaten Plymouth 3 - 0 to take their tally to 47 points, one more than Carlisle. It was the first time all season that Carlisle had been bottom of the table and the circumstances were ominous for the final Saturday. As Carlisle has scored only 41 goals to Scarboroughs 49, it meant they had to win their last game at home to Plymouth to have any hope of saving themselves. The bottom club would be relegated, their place taken by Cheltenham, already promoted from the Nationwide Conference.

Scarborough drew their last match - 1 - 1 - against Peterborough - and their fans celebrated when they heard that Carlisle were drawing in stoppage time.

It was a tense game at Brunton Park, Carlisle, played in front of a 7,500 crowd. Plymouth had lost Paul Gibb with a broken leg, and had taken the lead just after half-time through Lee Phillips. Then David Brightwell had equalised superbly from 25 yards in the 62nd minute. And that seemed the end of the scoring ... until the fourth minute of stoppage time.

Goalkeeper Jimmy Glass, 25, had been signed on loan from Swindon in time to play the last three games of the season. Carlisle had been given special permission by the League to sign him after transferring goalkeeper Tony Caig and suffering further injuries after the transfer deadline. Scarborough later unsuccessfully contested the signing.

When it was obvious that the late corner-kick was Carlisle's last chance , the crowd behind Glass's goal shouted for him to get up the field. When manager Nigel Pearson waved Glass forward, the goalkeeper made a late run. Nearly a hundred yards.

The corner came across, Carlisle's Scott Dobie jumped in front of a defender and powered a header towards goal. Plymouth goalkeeper James Dungey parried the ball. and there was goalkeeper Glass, six yards out, still running. He met the loose ball with a crisp right-foot shot and scored.

Captain David Brightwell saw the red goalkeeping shirt amidst the blue and green of the two teams and didn't realise at first that Glass had come up for the corner. He thought it was a fan on the pitch.

Suddenly Glass was lying on the floor under a crowd of players. 'I think I've just scored the winner' Glass said.

In the main stand a blind Carlisle fan called David Ross heard his friend's commentary of the match give way to an almighty roar. But it was only
later that Ross could comprehend that the goal had been scored by the goalkeeper. Glass jogged back towards his own penalty area but the referee blew the final whistle immediately. Fans rushed on and Glass was chaired off the field.

'Four minutes into injury time, he saved a team in a way that no goalkeeper has ever saved anything before' wrote Tony Ferguson in the Carlisle News and Star.

On the Monday after the game Jimmy Glass handed over his size-ten boots so that a bronze sculpture could be made of them for display in the citys planned Millennium Gallery. Carlisle fans bought T-shirts (I believe in miracles') and other souvenirs of the incident. Meanwhile Plymouth players could spend their summer thinking how best to mark goalkeepers from corner-kicks.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:46 am

Do you recall the end of season final day event when their goalkeeper reached legendary status, scored for them to save their professional league status. It's been written up a number of times but here is one example on what occurred that day. Well worth a look, maybe you won't get to read it again. You don't have to be a fan of Carlisle to imagine and envisage the experience of that day.

Brunton Park, Carlisle, May 1999

How long ? asked Carlisle United captain David Brightwell to the referee.

'Ten seconds' he replied. 'This is your last chance.' Carlisle United had won a corner-kick in the fourth minute of stoppage time. They were
drawing their match against Plymouth Argyle 1 - 1 but needed to win to preserve their Nationwide League Division Three status. All eleven players
went up for the corner, including goalkeeper Jimmy Glass.

It had been a desperate week for Carlisle fans. On the Wednesday Scarborough had beaten Plymouth 3 - 0 to take their tally to 47 points, one more than Carlisle. It was the first time all season that Carlisle had been bottom of the table and the circumstances were ominous for the final Saturday. As Carlisle has scored only 41 goals to Scarboroughs 49, it meant they had to win their last game at home to Plymouth to have any hope of saving themselves. The bottom club would be relegated, their place taken by Cheltenham, already promoted from the Nationwide Conference.

Scarborough drew their last match - 1 - 1 - against Peterborough - and their fans celebrated when they heard that Carlisle were drawing in stoppage time.

It was a tense game at Brunton Park, Carlisle, played in front of a 7,500 crowd. Plymouth had lost Paul Gibb with a broken leg, and had taken the lead just after half-time through Lee Phillips. Then David Brightwell had equalised superbly from 25 yards in the 62nd minute. And that seemed the end of the scoring ... until the fourth minute of stoppage time.

Goalkeeper Jimmy Glass, 25, had been signed on loan from Swindon in time to play the last three games of the season. Carlisle had been given special permission by the League to sign him after transferring goalkeeper Tony Caig and suffering further injuries after the transfer deadline. Scarborough later unsuccessfully contested the signing.

When it was obvious that the late corner-kick was Carlisle's last chance , the crowd behind Glass's goal shouted for him to get up the field. When manager Nigel Pearson waved Glass forward, the goalkeeper made a late run. Nearly a hundred yards.

The corner came across, Carlisle's Scott Dobie jumped in front of a defender and powered a header towards goal. Plymouth goalkeeper James Dungey parried the ball. and there was goalkeeper Glass, six yards out, still running. He met the loose ball with a crisp right-foot shot and scored.

Captain David Brightwell saw the red goalkeeping shirt amidst the blue and green of the two teams and didn't realise at first that Glass had come up for the corner. He thought it was a fan on the pitch.

Suddenly Glass was lying on the floor under a crowd of players. 'I think I've just scored the winner' Glass said.

In the main stand a blind Carlisle fan called David Ross heard his friend's commentary of the match give way to an almighty roar. But it was only
later that Ross could comprehend that the goal had been scored by the goalkeeper. Glass jogged back towards his own penalty area but the referee blew the final whistle immediately. Fans rushed on and Glass was chaired off the field.

'Four minutes into injury time, he saved a team in a way that no goalkeeper has ever saved anything before' wrote Tony Ferguson in the Carlisle News and Star.

On the Monday after the game Jimmy Glass handed over his size-ten boots so that a bronze sculpture could be made of them for display in the citys planned Millennium Gallery. Carlisle fans bought T-shirts (I believe in miracles') and other souvenirs of the incident. Meanwhile Plymouth players could spend their summer thinking how best to mark goalkeepers from corner-kicks.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:27 am

A good read Saint. I do recall the moment vaguely.

Must have taken ages to type it out twice! :wink: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:33 am

I remember that SJ, it was absolutely incredible and something never to be forgotten, proper football with great memories

Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:38 am

Morning, I have just read that post Saint and it face me goose bumps remembering that day again. You have covered everything off, but like other Carlisle fans who were at the game, we thought we were down and out and for Jimmy to score, well what more can be said.

Its never easy following Carlisle, we have had some great times, the first trip to Wembley in the old auto glass trophy which was a sell out, we lost, but what an experience.

Michael Knighton coming in and taking over the club, yes we had success at that time, but the damage left by him lasted for years.

We seem to be on a bit of a roll at the minute, but I feel all the postponements are going to catch up with us, we are going to be playing Saturday / Tuesday I would imagine until the end of the season. But its still a nice feeling to be at the right end of the table.

Thanks for writing that piece up.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:28 pm

Cumbrian wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:38 am
Morning, I have just read that post Saint and it face me goose bumps remembering that day again. You have covered everything off, but like other Carlisle fans who were at the game, we thought we were down and out and for Jimmy to score, well what more can be said.

Its never easy following Carlisle, we have had some great times, the first trip to Wembley in the old auto glass trophy which was a sell out, we lost, but what an experience.

Michael Knighton coming in and taking over the club, yes we had success at that time, but the damage left by him lasted for years.

We seem to be on a bit of a roll at the minute, but I feel all the postponements are going to catch up with us, we are going to be playing Saturday / Tuesday I would imagine until the end of the season. But its still a nice feeling to be at the right end of the table.

Thanks for writing that piece up.
I thought Knighton was owner there at some point, surprised you took him on. Can recall years back opening day at Old Trafford when he took control, it were a big deal at the time. Bit of a maverick, didn't last long there.

On a last point you had one season in the old 1st division around 1974, never made it back after dropping away and others have stated we have taken some very notable players away from there, Beattie is the obvious choice.

I think you would have got more attention for the Glass game if not overshadowed by other events around that time. Certain game in Barcelona was it where a last minute goal - two in fact - gave a team a treble accomplishment. They said in commentary 'where were you when this occurred', guess the same principle applies to the Brunton Park game but regrettably it doesn't get the recognition it probably deserves.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:10 pm

Freddie

Frankie

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:27 pm

Seperated at birth.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:19 pm

TODD66 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:27 pm
Seperated at birth.
Yes. And crazy at it’ll sound (to Bluemike definitely) ...... it’s the main reason I can’t bring myself to be upset when Freddie misses so many chances. I just see Frank Dunnery witn that ball, and he’s a singer/ songwriting guitar God to me.

“Ok Freddie, let you off with that one. You’ll get next one, Pal.”

Next one:

“Unlucky Freddie, next one, saaan!”

Meanwhile:

“NORWOOD??? You feckin steak bake eating .......”

And so on......

Edit to add for Saint Jude:
Frank Dunnery, big Celtic supporter.