Evans looking to sell up / Club Sold ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Club sold ??

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:42 am

Well Sunderland finally managed to find themselves a Mega Wealthy new owner and the youngest ever Football Club Chairman in 23 year old Swiss Kyril Louis-Dreyfus the son of former Marseille owner, the late Robert Louis/Dreyfus. The family are well connected to the football industry and as well as his ownership of Marseille FC his father was also the majority share holder at Olympic Lyonnaise and CEO at Adidas where he made much of his fortune.

K L-R’s personal wealth is unknown, however in addition to inheriting one third of his fathers vast wealth he has a $2Bn personal trust fund set up by his mother who is the wealthiest Russian woman on the planet worth $6Bn, which affords him some very deep pockets to fund the Black Cats revival.

Sunderland have been looking for a new owner for a long time, this just proves they are out there somewhere.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Club sold ??

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:51 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:23 pm
Very unlikely I'm afraid who would want to buy Town, I know nothing about the Sunderland takeover but I would be worried if our chairman was 23 years old.
Not if you’d seen the size of his wallet and his connections to the football industry. His family are well connected and he will have a wealth of experienced football people to draw on.

See my post further down this thread. I’d take him in preference to Marcus Evans any day.

Dubai Blue

Re: Evans looking to sell up now/ finally?

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:39 am

Frosty wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:02 am
I thought he took over a 30 million quid debt DB?
Yes he did. But he actually paid a lot less than that to acquire it. I don't remember how much but I'm pretty sure it was single digit millions. The debt was mostly with Aviva and most of the value was written off by them and never paid. So it only exists as a liability to be paid to ME if we ever have surplus funds to do it. If he takes the view that we are never going to be promoted he would probably write most of it off also. All he paid was the cost of acquiring the debt from Aviva.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:48 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:39 am
Frosty wrote:
Yes he did. But he actually paid a lot less than that to acquire it. I don't remember how much but I'm pretty sure it was single digit millions. The debt was mostly with Aviva and most of the value was written off by them and never paid. So it only exists as a liability to be paid to ME if we ever have surplus funds to do it. If he takes the view that we are never going to be promoted he would probably write most of it off also. All he paid was the cost of acquiring the debt from Aviva.
But if the debts have increased dramatically under ME - isn’t that increased debt ME’s responsibility? There’s talk of the debt increasing from 30 to 90+ million. Have to admit I’ve never totally understood all of this debt business.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:45 pm

khurst_848 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:08 pm
Did hear this afternoon the proposed takeover is Brett Johnson and frank yallop Johnson with the money obviously. May be not true but don’t you just love a good old rumour
There is a lot of similar rumours floating around, in national media as well as social Merida. None of it is going away, and even Sky are in on these rumours now, makes me still feel that there is something going on. Also The fact the Evans has said absolutely zilch since the Northampton debacle, and the complete change in Lamberts demeanour after he’d had a chat with Evans via telephone or Skype.

I do get the feeling Evans is one being more proactive to offload a total loss making business in his corporation. He’s clearly had enough , as have we all. I’m not going to say a consortium is actually better, and the BCWYWF mob will be out in force if/ when it all goes tits up. But we can’t surely carry on as we currently are!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:01 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:48 am
Dubai Blue wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:39 am
Frosty wrote:
But if the debts have increased dramatically under ME - isn’t that increased debt ME’s responsibility? There’s talk of the debt increasing from 30 to 90+ million. Have to admit I’ve never totally understood all of this debt business.
Yes that is true, although since presumably most of this is operating losses, it may well be that consolidating this into the ME group P&L results in a significant taxation saving. That won't be 100% though of course.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:35 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:48 am
Have to admit I’ve never totally understood all of this debt business.
Yep. Same. Many times I’ve said to the merchants, “listen, I’m writing these debts off.”
Always ends up with a knock at the door. Some dude in a black suit.

Ricco

Re: Evans looking to sell up / Club Sold ?

Post by Ricco » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:04 pm

If a club is normally worth £200m and has £50m debt, then it'll be valued at £150m, a discounted price, which is basically what Evans did when he bought Ipswich (I believe).

Some believe he's a good samaritan and would clear the club of debt, but that's rubbish, he had a discount because of the debts and he intends to pass them on.

He was hoping the club would get to the prem, which would pay the debts off and everything would be rosy, but it's gone horrendously wrong for him, but that was his gamble and he lost. Problem is that leaves basically £100m debts and a club worth substantially less (surely). We're now in a position when Evans basically has to pay someone to take the club on (and the debts). That's why he hasn't sold up yet, because it can't get much worse and he keeps hoping the club will turn itself around on the cheap and make things good for himself.

Massively selfish, if anyone believes he's made a single decision for the good of others and not his own wallet then you don't understand such businessmen.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:15 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:04 pm
If a club is normally worth £200m and has £50m debt, then it'll be valued at £150m, a discounted price, which is basically what Evans did when he bought Ipswich (I believe).

Some believe he's a good samaritan and would clear the club of debt, but that's rubbish, he had a discount because of the debts and he intends to pass them on.

He was hoping the club would get to the prem, which would pay the debts off and everything would be rosy, but it's gone horrendously wrong for him, but that was his gamble and he lost. Problem is that leaves basically £100m debts and a club worth substantially less (surely). We're now in a position when Evans basically has to pay someone to take the club on (and the debts). That's why he hasn't sold up yet, because it can't get much worse and he keeps hoping the club will turn itself around on the cheap and make things good for himself.

Massively selfish, if anyone believes he's made a single decision for the good of others and not his own wallet then you don't understand such businessmen.
So basically we're fooked! :cry: :?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:38 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:15 pm
Ricco wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:04 pm

So basically we're fooked! :cry: :?
Not quite f*cked.... we’re pinning our hopes on someone who’s played at the highest level.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 pm

Can’t be 100% certain....... but even though it’s been 19 or 20 years since Ipswich Town have participated at a European level, there may be certain people amongst staff that indeed do have “big time” experience and been at the highest level as Tang says....... but can’t be certain.
I think we’ve heard it mentioned. 🤔

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:12 pm

Blue Monday podcast with Telegraph journalist Jim White, well worth listening to I think , especially around the 23rd and 28th minutes.

https://youtube.com/c/BlueMondayPodcastITFC

And thus was just posted on TWTD ..

“Takeover is 100% in progress. I work with someone who is a former Championship coach and has a football scouting/analytics business. Via my contact I was told last Tuesday that the deal is making significant progress and likely to be announced next month.”

NB:
Please don’t shoot the messenger..( moi 😇), .. I’m just scouting around for info . I honestly do think there’s some truth in all of this ..... but we’ll see if it happens !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:19 pm

Just watched the entire podcast there, Hallam. Very informative indeed, and very prophetic from a Mach Polish Blue angle. He was saying everything Jim White was saying there as much as FIVE years ago. One of MPB's quotes was Mevans being "a cancer to the club". Well it is clear that this is the case and after watching that, it seems its an incurable cancer UNLESS a new owner(s) take over. Very interesting few months ahead for ITFC.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:24 pm

Too much bullshit. Why doesn't the club just come out and declare that actions are underway, Evans is ready to sell up and new ownership is imminent. Lot of smoke and mirrors with relevant personnel giving nothing away. Just relying on hearsay and conjecture, there's no definitive answer. I'd imagine a large part of the fanbase have had their patience eroded enough throughout the whole Evans time here.

Talk about taking new ownership from the CEO from Bristol City or something, even their own fans rubbished it although seems many want him gone and can't abide him. So what good can we expect ?

Evans needs to go that much is evident. What's occurred can't be allowed to continue although the whole issue seem to be deviating in multiple direction which each time you read up on it. The owner is so reclusive and speaks out with such infrequency I don't expect it to mention anything and Lambert seems in a daze half the time. Getting kind of irritated to a point, new ownership (in the right hands) would be exciting but being led in different directions with each passing day, you can only tolerate so much. Isn't Lambert due another meeting with the owner this week or were it just the one-off a few days back ? Shall keep up to the moment with TWTD, EADT etc to get nearer a conclusion but don't like to be messed about.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:59 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:19 pm
Just watched the entire podcast there, Hallam. Very informative indeed, and very prophetic from a Mach Polish Blue angle. He was saying everything Jim White was saying there as much as FIVE years ago. One of MPB's quotes was Mevans being "a cancer to the club". Well it is clear that this is the case and after watching that, it seems its an incurable cancer UNLESS a new owner(s) take over. Very interesting few months ahead for ITFC.
Yes he was, and I agreed with him in the end . Although I maintained Evans kept this Club alive when he bought us because we were very close to going under when he bought the clubs debt.

What I couldn’t get across to him though, was that there is nothing us fans could do to get Evans out of the club when it was clear he’d lost interest in piling loads of money in like he did initially and that Evans would only sell up when HE wanted to. We fell out over it, as he felt I and many others were Evans supporters. Which isn’t true.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:01 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:59 am
marko69 wrote:
Yes he was, and I agreed with him in the end . Although I maintained Evans kept this Club alive when he bought us because we were very close to going under when he bought the clubs debt.

What I couldn’t get across to him though, was that there is nothing us fans could do to get Evans out of the club when it was clear he’d lost interest in piling loads of money in like he did initially and that Evans would only sell up when HE wanted to. We fell out over it, as he felt I and many others were Evans supporters. Which isn’t true.
Hey there, Hallam, my post was in no way referring to past disagreements. It was merely just the fact that you posted the podcast link. :lol: Those were not very nice disagreements ----- >>> BUT YOU are still posting and that is all that matters, Dawling.

While watching the podcast, it made me think back to how seriously peed off Mach was (and no doubt still is) regarding Mevans. I may be wrong, but from memory, he definitely was the most vocal about Mevans. Again, from memory, he didn't really give Paul Hurst any grief due to knowing that Mevans' 5 point plan was nothing but wind & pish.

wilnisfan

Post by wilnisfan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:44 am

Really depends on how desperate Evans is to get out.

He won’t sell for peanuts.

I imagine he only signed Lambert on for so long because he accepted a wage reduction and promised to work with a sub standard wage bill. In the hopes that a lower running cost would attract buyers who would see the potential as he did in making a long term financial gamble.

But getting relegated to division 2 would be unthinkable for him and current trajectory with his limited footballing knowledge would make him very uneasy.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:52 am

This has really become a soap opera. The football’s become irrelevant. The result is now more about if Lambert keeps his job or not. Pity.

I can stick ME for a little while longer if he can start making better decisions for the club. We don’t need a massive cash injection for League One.... we just need someone in charge who can make better use of the squad and existing resources to start winning football matches. We don’t need a Grade A infrastructure or a top class manager.... just a competent manager.

Really not sure about these takeover rumours. I’d take a quick resolution to the Lambert issue and a good managerial appointment.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:35 am

If you say something for enough years then eventually you will probably be right in the end.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:36 am

saint jude wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:24 pm
Too much bullshit. Why doesn't the club just come out and declare that actions are underway, Evans is ready to sell up and new ownership is imminent. Lot of smoke and mirrors with relevant personnel giving nothing away. Just relying on hearsay and conjecture, there's no definitive answer. I'd imagine a large part of the fanbase have had their patience eroded enough throughout the whole Evans time here.

Talk about taking new ownership from the CEO from Bristol City or something, even their own fans rubbished it although seems many want him gone and can't abide him. So what good can we expect ?

Evans needs to go that much is evident. What's occurred can't be allowed to continue although the whole issue seem to be deviating in multiple direction which each time you read up on it. The owner is so reclusive and speaks out with such infrequency I don't expect it to mention anything and Lambert seems in a daze half the time. Getting kind of irritated to a point, new ownership (in the right hands) would be exciting but being led in different directions with each passing day, you can only tolerate so much. Isn't Lambert due another meeting with the owner this week or were it just the one-off a few days back ? Shall keep up to the moment with TWTD, EADT etc to get nearer a conclusion but don't like to be messed about.
I picked up on this too, the bloke appears to be a f**king nightmare if Bristol City fans are to be believed and they should know.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:47 am

Was also sort of agreed on the podcast that the Lincoln dude will be staying where he is. ...... but the question raised regarding Lincoln to Ipswich being a “step down” was unbelievable.

That can’t be allowed to be believed! :lol:

khurst_848

Post by khurst_848 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:20 pm

Was listening to blue Monday podcast last night with Jim white from the telegraph even he was mentioning the takeover. Highly recommend giving it a listen

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:31 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:47 am
Was also sort of agreed on the podcast that the Lincoln dude will be staying where he is. ...... but the question raised regarding Lincoln to Ipswich being a “step down” was unbelievable.

I think it’s a step down for Appleton at the moment. Like what Jim white says - he’s been burnt before with the wrong owner and Lincoln are on an upward trajectory. He might as well stay there and build on what he’s done, rather than sort out someone else’s mess.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:42 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:01 am
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:59 am
marko69 wrote:

Hey there, Hallam, my post was in no way referring to past disagreements. It was merely just the fact that you posted the podcast link. :lol: Those were not very nice disagreements ----- >>> BUT YOU are still posting and that is all that matters, Dawling.

While watching the podcast, it made me think back to how seriously peed off Mach was (and no doubt still is) regarding Mevans. I may be wrong, but from memory, he definitely was the most vocal about Mevans. Again, from memory, he didn't really give Paul Hurst any grief due to knowing that Mevans' 5 point plan was nothing but wind & pish.
hey marko , I now , its alright munchkin.... God it seems years ago we were having tis arguments too. No problem here x

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:54 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:31 pm
marko69 wrote:

I think it’s a step down for Appleton at the moment. Like what Jim white says - he’s been burnt before with the wrong owner and Lincoln are on an upward trajectory. He might as well stay there and build on what he’s done, rather than sort out someone else’s mess.
Oh yes, no doubt at all. He’d be crazy to leave Lincoln. Was just that one comment.
Dear God, Alf & Bobby will be up there sitting next to each other like this —————>>> 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Next it’ll be Wycombe to Ipswich, step down!
Which physically, it is.......... but come on! It’s feckin not! Come on. 🤦‍♂️

What about a “Mevans, f*ck off” fly over banner? That’s only 13 letters. Maybe couple exclamation marks on the end. Few extra quid, take it up to 15?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:04 pm

Or "Tractor Boy's Lives Matter"

Stop the persecution Evans and f*ck off !!!! And take Shambert with you......

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:09 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:54 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:31 pm
marko69 wrote:

Oh yes, no doubt at all. He’d be crazy to leave Lincoln. Was just that one comment.
Dear God, Alf & Bobby will be up there sitting next to each other like this —————>>> 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Next it’ll be Wycombe to Ipswich, step down!
Which physically, it is.......... but come on! It’s feckin not! Come on. 🤦‍♂️

What about a “Mevans, f*ck off” fly over banner? That’s only 13 letters. Maybe couple exclamation marks on the end. Few extra quid, take it up to 15?
I know what you mean. I guess we’ve got to a stage where we now have to earn the right to want a manager of Lincoln. And we’re not doing that and it’s happened under Lambert. Can’t remember Michael Appleton playing at the highest level and I doubt he has a PL infrastructure and budget - but he’s doing OK.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:19 pm

Appleton: “Listen, I played for Holstein Kiel.”
Mevans: “They’re Bundesliga 2. Who cares?”

(For the Aspergers sufferers, —-> He didn’t play for Holstein Kiel. Just used a league 2 German club for the benefit of a cheap joke at Lambert)

Here’s another one.

SHEEP-shanks ——-> Ipswich decent.

LAMB-ert ———> Ipswich poor.

Can only put it down to the inexperience of the Lamb.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:40 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:19 pm
Appleton: “Listen, I played for Holstein Kiel.”
Mevans: “They’re Bundesliga 2. Who cares?”

(For the Aspergers sufferers, —-> He didn’t play for Holstein Kiel. Just used a league 2 German club for the benefit of a cheap joke at Lambert)

Here’s another one.

SHEEP-shanks ——-> Ipswich decent.

LAMB-ert ———> Ipswich poor.

Can only put it down to the inexperience of the Lamb.
** BREAKING NEWS**
Marcus Evan trying to bring in former Swansea player Tommy Mutton as Paul Lambert replacement, so that Marko69 can expand his ovine joke repertoire. :wink:

I am sure whatever happens, he will soon get the chop :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:28 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:40 pm
I am sure whatever happens, he will soon get the chop :lol:
:lol:

Mutton dressed as Lambert?