Hull City AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we get any points from this one?

Hull Win
78%
Town Win
17%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 18

Frosty
Forum Owner

Hull City AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:05 pm

Image Hull City AFC v Ipswich TownImage

Tuesday 23rd February 2021 – 19:00

KCOM Stadium

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

Another Game Comes and Goes.........

Twenty Seven games gone, Nineteen to go and by all accounts things are looking good and we are well in the mix. One win in Seven and another goalless effort from Town but yes, we are still well in the mix. Thirty goals scored in Twenty Seven matches, Rochdale have scored Forty one, MK Dons Forty Two and Plymouth Argyle Thirty Nine but all is rosy in our quest for promotion. The latest goon to come out and say we are looking good to be where we want to be is James Wilson who has been pretty much AWOL all season and until yesterday contributed as much as many others in the Town ranks, nothing, so please keep the ridiculous garbled drivel to yourself.

In a week that has seen mixed messages coming out of Portman Road regarding meetings between Evans & Lambert we are in truth all as much in the dark as we ever have been, One minute a discussion has taken place and Lambert's imminent departure is on the cards and the next the meeting is still to take place and no sod knows the situation, talk of several out of work managers having been approached gives hope to some kind of good news being on the horizon, we've even had rumours on the font of all knowledge, Facebook that an American Consortium are close to taking over the ownership of ITFC and are ready with a new manager to splash the cash, if ever I needed another reason to dump FB it surely has to be this pile of nonsense.

The coming week will be interesting for sure with the meeting we are all hoping will signal the departure of yet another failed manager in a long line at Portman Road, but as many have said, is this the real problem ? Will we be in exactly the same boat once the new man is in the hotseat ? The answer is in all probability, Yes, Evans funds us and keeps us alive but what else will change other than a bit of nous on the pitch on match days ? "The Structure" is all wrong according to Lambert and if that is the case changing manager is a tiny part of the problem, we need One of these obscure rumours to One day be true before we can really begin to believe there is any substantial light at the end of the longest dark tunnel you will will ever travel down in your lifetime, sadly I don't ever see it coming.

It pains me to say it but One of the worst things we could have hoped for Saturday was an improved showing by the Boys in Blue, with Town fans being as fickle as they are it would only take a couple of positive results for a percentage of the outers to believe all is rosy again, for me it changes nothing, even if we had won I would want him gone, our form and situation is dire and that needs to be remembered, we all forget all too easily the start of the season when we were top so lets not forget the months of garbage that followed it.

Looking at the game against Oxford there is no doubt we should have won the game but without a decent striker at the club converting chances when they do come along is something we are inept at doing. Norwood missed an absolute sitter, hitting the post when easier to score while young Troy Parrott missed Two very good chances which he should in all truth have put away, the return of Toto & Wilson at CB definitely had us looking more secure and both played well, as did Myles Kenlock has been very impressive since finding himself back in the starting line up in recent weeks.

The games continue to come thick and fast and next up is high flying Hull City away, in fairness they have been on a bit of a poor run themselves lately and are now out of the automatic promotion places, one win in the last Five is hardly promotion form, especially when you see that they have lost to both MK Dons and Burton Albion in that time, it could be they are losing their way at a key time of the season, as we keep being told however, there is still many matches to play and time to put things right, what better way to start than a home game against the kings of flattering to deceive and the team that can't beat anyone above them, Ipswich Town. Home banker for me, probably by Two or Three goals, it is looking like Lambert may still be in charge for this one too, let's hope it is finally his swansong, please let some of the gossip which is doing the rounds be true, we can but hope, we can but dream, we can but pray. Lambert OUT, IPSWICH TIL I DIE. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Hull City

Hull City Association Football Club was founded in June 1904, previous attempts to found a football club had proved difficult because of the dominance in the city of rugby league. teams such as Hull F.C. and Hull Kingston Rovers. These early matches were played at the Boulevard, the home of Hull F.C. After disputes with landlords at the Boulevard, Hull City moved to Anlaby Road Cricket Ground. Hull City were admitted into the Football League Second Division for the 1905–06 season. and finished the season in fifth place.

Hull City and Grimsby Town were the only two professional teams which had official permission to play league football on Christmas Day because of the demands of the fish trade. That tradition has now disappeared following the dramatic reduction of their trawler fleets in recent years. The following season a new ground was built for Hull City across the road from the cricket ground. Hull continued to finish consistently in the top half of the table. They came close to promotion in the 1909–10 season, recording what would be their highest finish until they matched it in 2008. Hull regularly finished in the top half of the table before the First World War, but after the war the team finished in the bottom half in seven seasons out of eleven, culminating in relegation to the Third Division North in 1930.

Hull's greatest achievement in cup competitions until 2014 was in 1930, when they reached the FA Cup semi-finals.

After the Second World War, the club moved to another new ground, Boothferry Park. In the 1948–49 season, Hull won the Third Division North championship. "Yo-yoing" between the second and third tiers of English football, Hull City had promotion seasons from the Third to the Second Division again in 1959 and 1966, winning the Third Division in the latter.

By the early 1980s, Hull City were in the Fourth Division, and financial collapse led to receivership.

Don Robinson took over as chairman and appointed Colin Appleton as the new manager. Promotion to Division Three followed in 1983.

Hull reached the Second Division in 1985. They remained there for the next six years before finally going down in 1991. Hull finished 14th in the Third Division in the 1991–92 season, meaning that they would be competing in the new Second Division the following season.

In their first season in the rebranded division, Hull narrowly avoided another relegation, but over the next two seasons they achieved mid-table finishes. Financial difficulties hampered City's progress, as key players had to be sold to fend off winding-up orders. In the 1995–96 season Hull were relegated to the Third Division.

In 1997 the club was purchased by former tennis player David Lloyd. Hull's league form was steadily deteriorating to the point that relegation to the Football Conference was looking a real possibility. Lloyd sold the club in November 1998 to a South Yorkshire based consortium, but retained ownership of Boothferry Park.

Despite briefly being locked out of Boothferry Park by bailiffs and facing the possibility of liquidation, Hull qualified for the Third Division play-offs in the 2000–01 season. A boardroom takeover by former Leeds United commercial director Adam Pearson had eased the club's precarious financial situation and all fears of closure were banished as he ploughed funds into the club.

Hull relocated to the new 25,400-seater KC Stadium after 56 years at Boothferry Park.

Hull were Third Division runners-up in 2003–04 and League One runners-up in 2004–05; these back-to-back promotions took them into the Championship. The 2005–06 season, the club's first back in the second tier, saw Hull finish in 18th place and their highest league finish for 16 years.

Adam Pearson sold the club to a consortium led by Paul Duffen in June 2007, stating that he "had taken the club as far as I could", in order to attract "really significant finance into the club". Under Paul Duffen and manager Phil Brown, Hull City improved greatly on their relegation battle of 2006–07 and qualified for the play-offs after finishing the season in third place. They beat Watford 6–1 on aggregate in the semi-finals and played Bristol City in the Final on 24 May 2008, which Hull won 1–0 at Wembley Stadium. Their ascent from the bottom division of the Football League to the top division of English football in just five seasons is the third-fastest ever.

Despite being one of the favourites for relegation in the 2008–09 season, Hull had only one defeat in their opening nine gamesand found themselves (temporarily) joint-top of the Premier League table on points (third on goal difference — ten years previously, they had been bottom of the fourth tier of English football.

Hull's form never replicated the highs of the early autumn, with the team winning only two more games over the remainder of the season, but secured their top-flight status on the last day of the season due to other results.

On 29 October 2009, chairman Paul Duffen resigned his position with the club, and was replaced by former chairman Adam Pearson. On 15 March 2010, manager Phil Brown was put on gardening leave after a run of four defeats left Hull in the relegation zone. Brown's replacement was former Crystal Palace and Charlton boss Iain Dowie, and the appointment was met with some disbelief by supporters who were hoping for a "bigger name" replacement. Hull City's relegation from the Premier League was confirmed on 3 May 2010

A reported block on player transfers into the club, set in place by the Hull City board on 28 July 2010 until transfers out would substantially reduce the £39 million-per-year wage bill, at first cast doubt on the new manager's (Nigel Pearson) efforts to build a squad capable of a quick return to the Premier League. The team set a new club record on 12 March 2011 with 14 away matches unbeaten, breaking a previous record held for over 50 years.

On 15 November 2011, Nigel Pearson left the club to return to Leicester. Nick Barmby was appointed as his successor, but was sacked in May 2012 after publicly criticising the club's owners in an interview given to a local newspaper. In the same month, the club's consultancy agreement with Adam Pearson was terminated.

On 8 June 2012, Steve Bruce was appointed manager of the club on a three-year deal, and he guided Hull back to the Premier League on the final day of the season.

On 13 April 2014, the club reached its first FA Cup Final . Their place in the 2014-15 Europa League, regardless of whether they won the 2013-14 FA Cup, was confirmed on 3 May as Everton's failure to win meant that Hull's FA Cup Final opponents Arsenal would compete in the 2014-15 UEFA Champions League.

On 31 July 2014, Hull made their debut in European competition, in the UEFA Europa League third qualifying round, with a 2-1 aggregate win over Slovakian side FK AS Trenčín. An away goals aggregate loss against Belgian outfit Lokeren marked the end of Hull's first foray into European football.

In March 2015 Steve Bruce signed a further three-year deal with the club. Hull were relegated from the Premier League after the 2014-15 season, finishing eighteenth with 35 points.

Via the playoffs Hull returned to the Premier League at the end of the 2015/16 season.

On 22 July 2016, Bruce resigned from his position. Mike Phelan became Hull's permanent head coach. On 3 January 2017, Phelan was sacked by Hull City, less than three months after being made permanent.

On 5 January 2017, the club announced the appointment of Marco Silva as the new head coach until the end of the 2016–17 season. On 25 May 2017, following relegation from the Premier League, Silva resigned and the club announced the appointment of Leonid Slutsky as head coach.

On 3 December 2017, Slutsky left the club by mutual consent after a run of bad results. On 7 December 2017, Nigel Adkins was appointed as head coach on an 18-month contract.

The following season, despite being in the relegation zone after 19 games, an upturn in form saw the Tigers finish in 13th place. However, Adkins resigned at the end of the season after rejecting a new contact.

On 21 June 2019, Grant McCann was appointed as head coach on a one-year rolling contract. In a season delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United Kingdom, Hull started well but lost 16 of their last 20 games, a run that included an 8–0 hammering at Wigan. On 22 July 2020, Hull were relegated to League One.

The Manager – Grant McCann

Form Guide

Hull City Last 5 Matches currently in 3rd place with 53 points

6 Feb Burton Albion 1 - 0 Hull City

9 Feb Hull City 0 - 0 Lincoln City

13 Feb Hull City 0 - 1 Milton Keynes

17 Feb Wigan Athletic 0 - 5 Hull City

20 Feb Doncaster 3 - 3 Hull City

Ipswich Last 5 Matches currently in 12th place with 41 points

6 Feb Ipswich Town 2 - 0 Blackpool

9 Feb Peterborough 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

13 Feb Shrewsbury pp. Ipswich Town

16 Feb Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Northampton

20 Feb Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Oxford Utd

Match Referee – Tom Nield

HULL CITY AFC 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

arana peligrosa

Re: Hull City AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:14 pm

Would have been fun if the match official's name was Ebeneezer but we move on. Voted for them to win it, wasn't much in the way of hesitation you just feel they're far better equipped than ourselves and don't have a problem finding goal. Could give our defensive line a hard time guess it depends which formations are deployed on the night.

We got nothing to feasibly play for so maybe a repeat of the Oxford game and players relax a bit and just go out and give it a go. Will Lambert still be in position when over ? Only a very comprehensive loss could push him further towards departure but believe they'll win with something of a compact score.

Hull City 2 ITFC 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:30 pm

The only brace Norwood will ever get is the sort for his trousers....... but that ain’t happening. The steak bakes are keeping those fkrs tight and up.

Ipswich humped in this one. 4-0 minimum. But I suppose with my predictions being more than useless, it’ll no doubt be 5 or 6.
And then hopefully that’ll help allow all the other threads become more authentic with the buyout chat.

Ref caption:
Goode: “You sh*t for brains.”
Ref: “Yep. In here.”

McCann caption:
Arguing with Ipswich bench.
“All I’m sayin is, there was a plate of steak bakes here in my hands, and they’re gone. Not blaming anyone but there is flakey pastry all over Norrie’s chins over there.”

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:01 pm

3-Town win for me. Based purely on the after match comments by manager and players. In this fantasy land we must really be a good team that have only been giving some of the other teams a tantalising glimpse of success before we steamroller all before us starting tonight. COYB

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:25 pm

I can only see us losing. Despite our better performance we lack that threat on goal. I'm going 2 nil to Hull.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:32 pm

Until last week Hull had been struggling to score for a while which gives us hope although 8 goals in just 4 days may have just rebooted their confidence. Given our own failures in front of goal we could have been optimistic and looked for a 0-0 draw, however I think The Tigers may just edge it.

Prediction;

Hull City 1-0 Town.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:50 pm

3-0 defeat if we are lucky. 5-0 if unlucky. So I’ll settle for 4-0

So why am I forking out a Tenner to watch it? 😂

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:02 pm

Team news unchanged surprise surprise 😱

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:50 pm

Decided, as with the Northampton and Oxford games, to give it a miss. Defeatest yes, but not going to spend money on something which is likely to leave me feeling down in the dumps!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:07 pm

Andym wrote:

Lambo’s last game or the start of a new, bright era for Ipswich?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:36 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 pm
Andym wrote:

Decided, as with the Northampton and Oxford games, to give it a miss. Defeatest yes, but not going to spend money on something which is likely to leave me feeling down in the dumps!
Get that tenner paid, Marky Boy. Come on, Dude! Even I've paid and watching.

A lot of ads pre kick off? It's like Super Bowl night.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:59 pm

Josh Emmanuel starting for Hull. Helped Rotherham get promoted from league 1 when on loan from us. Not fancied by us and Gets a free transfer from away and he’s now a regular starter in a team going for automatic promotion. Weird how it works.

Still he’ll have his hands full with Judgey on the left wing tonight.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:12 pm

Very good start

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:13 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:36 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Andym wrote:

Please no, not sure i can watch 4 hours of town!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:15 pm

Wow. What a ball from Kenlock. Tidy finish

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:16 pm

GOOOOOOAAAAALLLLLL 👍👍👍👍

Norwood
Last edited by hallamblue on Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:16 pm

Yes !!! Great ball from Kenlock and good finish from Norwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:16 pm

Beautiful from the fat bloke

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:16 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:13 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:36 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:

Please no, not sure i can watch 4 hours of town!!
Goooooaaaaaaallll!!!! Get in, another 3 hours and 45 minutes of this please

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:17 pm

well taken goal from a great pass. Judge is crap

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:18 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:16 pm
.....another 3 hours and 45 minutes of this please
Really? This is worse than Queens Park v QOS the other week.

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:18 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:19 pm

Just Home from Work to see we are Winning. Please someone pinch me :lol:

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:21 pm

He's contract?
Hard to believe how well Kenlock is playing now.
Last edited by Kerry Blue on Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:22 pm

Who is this away team in pale blue tonight ? Can’t possibly be Ipswich . Playing on the front foot , good passing , game played mainly in opponents half ...., what’s happened ??? 🤷‍♀️

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:23 pm

We look a different team, Dozzell been excellent

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:26 pm

He is playing a different formation isn’t he . But there seems to be confidence running right through the team . We’ll see what happens if they equalise.

Bennett’s remains utter tripe and Lambert says Dobra not good enough. !!
Last edited by hallamblue on Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:27 pm

much better last 10 mins

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:28 pm

How are Hull near he top? They're poor.

rossi