Evans looking to sell up / Club Sold ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Evans looking to sell up / Club Sold ?

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:35 pm

Was interested to hear Jim White say we have the strongest squad in League One, I still thinks that is definitely the case, the big problem is they aren't playing anywhere like it and that surely has to come down to poor management again, with tactics, motivation, formations, training methods, man management, squad harmony etc etc etc.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:35 pm
Was interested to hear Jim White say we have the strongest squad in League One, I still thinks that is definitely the case, the big problem is they aren't playing anywhere like it and that surely has to come down to poor management again, with tactics, motivation, formations, training methods, man management, squad harmony etc etc etc.
Also interesting to hear that for the first time in 30 years, no Ipswich Town lads from 13 years old and up are anywhere near the England squad. Not sure if that has anything at all to do with Bryan Klug......., but probably an Xbox combined KFC issue.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:24 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:06 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:35 pm
Also interesting to hear that for the first time in 30 years, no Ipswich Town lads from 13 years old and up are anywhere near the England squad. Not sure if that has anything at all to do with Bryan Klug......., but probably an Xbox combined KFC issue.
I don’t think that stat is significant. This season, Dozzell and Downes are too old for England under 20’s. But they’re playing regularly for our first team. And quite a few others, too... hmmmmm....

I’d prefer our academy players play regularly for the first team rather than England age group teams. It hasn’t helped us in the past years if we’ve had kids play for England. And we’ve had a few 15/16 yr old kids nicked by Man City, Arsenal, etc.

I think Kluggy’s halo is just still intact for the moment - but if Lambert stays any longer he’ll doubtless become a target as Lambert can’t be held accountable.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:05 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:28 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:40 pm
I am sure whatever happens, he will soon get the chop :lol:
:lol:

Mutton dressed as Lambert?
:lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:35 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:24 pm
......And we’ve had a few 15/16 yr old kids nicked by Man City, Arsenal, etc....
That is quite a significant fact omitted by White. Wonder if he knows this. Why the f*ck miss that out if bringing up the England thing? Jaysus H Christ, no wonder I stay away from most publications and podcasts.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:48 pm

Baggott plays for some obscure country as does Dobra, they just aren't English

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:25 pm

“ Take over talk “ ( TWTD)..review by Phil Ham regarding the recent rumours and speculation ...if anyone is interested 👍😁

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... eover-talk

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:53 pm

Not that it mightn't be all or majorly speculative, but buying for profit ey? Haven't we just had one owner trying to do that.

Just a thought, it's not really a business to get in to for profit, don't owners with ambitions and driven by heart do better than business folk? I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:36 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:53 pm
Not that it mightn't be all or majorly speculative, but buying for profit ey? Haven't we just had one owner trying to do that.

Just a thought, it's not really a business to get in to for profit, don't owners with ambitions and driven by heart do better than business folk? I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised.
The one owner I think of who is driven by his heart is Steve Gibson at Middlesborough. He’s had success in the past, but Boro have been under-achieving for a while. Brentford seem to have a decent business model and I think it’s very analytically driven and shrewd, and not driven with the fans necessarily in mind or by the heart. I’d just settle for someone with some kind of plan and a bit of ambition. Personally I don’t quite know why successful businessmen get involved in football... just seems like a massive gamble which usually ends badly.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:26 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:53 pm

It's a bit like hedge funds though isn't it? Guessing we've sunk as low as we will, so buy at the lowest price and hope to improve things by spending a bit and make a killing.

I think that was ME's intention. By a Championship Club, spend a bit to get promoted to the prem (because Roy Keane told him it was easy), sell at a profit. Now didn't that work out well?

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:59 pm

I Told you all on Monday about this vicious rumour :shock: an American take over possibility, its now will it wont it ??????

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:01 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:59 pm
I Told you all on Monday about this vicious rumour :shock: an American take over possibility, its now will it wont it ??????
Aw crap. Really? Does this mean we need to start saying "soccer"? But with an annoying as f*ck droll, like "Saaaaaaawker"?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:03 pm

.... and "make half time adjustments for the second period" ? And keep players fresh for "overtime"?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:49 am

Lambert would be in his element wouldn’t he . All those changes from the bench he could make . First half the offensive 11 would be on , then for the second half a defensive 11 would trotted out . He’d wet himself at the thought of 11 player rotations DURING a game .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:23 am

"The referee's a goddamn mother f*cker" just doesn't sound round, bit of a mouthful to sing

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:30 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:49 am
Lambert would be in his element wouldn’t he . All those changes from the bench he could make . First half the offensive 11 would be on , then for the second half a defensive 11 would trotted out . He’d wet himself at the thought of 11 player rotations DURING a game .
Bluemike wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:23 am
"The referee's a goddamn mother f*cker" just doesn't sound round, bit of a mouthful to sing
:lol:

“Ok...... the ball has gone out for a kick from the corner. Here are some messages before that.”

PEPSI MAX......

“And welcome back, it waaaaaas a kick from the corner but John Norwood decides to eat a time-out. It’s apparently a little bit like a Flake but better so I’m told.”

“Yeah, interesting stuff, Bill, but it’s James Norwood, not John.”

“John, James, same thing. We’ll be right back.”

MCDONALDS QUADRUPLE BURGER.....

“Aaaaaaand welcome back...... we’re just about to get back under way with this kick from the corner......”

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:46 am

Disclaimer:

It’s just a laugh! Worried guys like Ohio look back in, see this and think, “ah, fk this!” :lol:
Just poking a bit o fun like we always do.
Ginger, skirt wearing fat b*stard has spoken! 👍

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:24 am

As a shot from Sears goes over the top of the Sir Bobby Robson Stand Lambo shouts out “ Field Goal, Marcus that’s another 3 points, time for a new contract”.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:36 am

Just don't employ Barry Bennell as our new coach as shouting out "Touch Downes" every now and again just wouldn't be right.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:39 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:24 am
As a shot from Sears goes over the top of the Sir Bobby Robson Stand....
:lol: :lol: :lol: Read plenty times from Mike that Frankie is poor....... but over the roof?? That’s hilarious :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:40 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:36 am
Just don't employ Barry Bennell as our new coach as shouting out "Touch Downes" every now and again just wouldn't be right.
LMAO!!! 👏👏👏 :lol:

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:15 pm

Just seen a post that Bloke who says he's a "shareholder" in ITFC

"I can confirm that something is going on at the club as I have now lost complete contact despite being a shareholder! I had a long chat with David Sheepshanks who also agrees that something is going on...It would be nice to know WHAT!!"

Not sure if this will lead to/mean anything but the guy does seem to get little snippets of accurate info.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:27 pm

These rumours are growing even more arms and legs.

https://theathletic.com/news/ipswich-t ... WJOhpdfHzd

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:38 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:27 pm
These rumours are growing even more arms and legs.

https://theathletic.com/news/ipswich-t ... WJOhpdfHzd
A group of American investors led by Los Angeles-based businessman Brett Johnson is on the verge of buying Ipswich Town for £17.5 million, The Athletic understands.

The League One club have been owned by British multi-millionaire Marcus Evans since December 2007 but the 57-year-old has been in talks with various parties for at least six months, having poured more than £100 million of his wealth into the club over the last 13 years. Evans is understood to be writing off that debt, giving Johnson’s group a clean slate.

Johnson’s group would like Bristol City chief executive Mark Ashton to take over the day-to-day running of Ipswich but he is understood to be happy in Bristol for the time being, particularly as the Championship club have just appointed Nigel Pearson as their new manager and are about to open a state-of-the-art new training ground.

There is one staffing change that does appear to be imminent at Portman Road, though, as manager Paul Lambert is set to be replaced by former Wigan Athletic boss Paul Cook.

Lambert took charge in October 2018 but was unable to prevent Ipswich’s relegation from the Championship, which ended a 17-year stay in England’s second tier. Ipswich started their first season in the third tier well under the 51-year-old Scot but faded to finish in 11th place, their lowest finish since 1953.

This season has followed a similar pattern, with a bright start fizzling out, leading to calls for Lambert’s sacking and protests by fans. Ipswich are 10th in the table, five points behind Doncaster Rovers in the final play-off spot.

Cook resigned as Wigan boss in July shortly after their relegation from the Championship. No blame for that can be attached to Cook, though, as Wigan had been punching above their weight until they were hit with a 12-point penalty for entering administration. The 53-year-old Englishman has previously led Chesterfield and Portsmouth to the League Two titles and Wigan to a League One title.

Johnson is the founder and chairman of Fortuitous Partners, a sports investment fund, and Benevolent Capital Partners, a private equity firm with investments in manufacturing, property and sport.

In 2015, Johnson bought a minority stake in Arizona United, a new team in the USL Championship, American soccer’s second tier, and became the club’s co-chairman and president. His first significant appointment was making former Ipswich stalwart Frank Yallop the team’s manager.

Within a year, the team had been rebranded as Phoenix Rising and the ownership group had swollen to include American DJ, songwriter and record producer Diplo; Pete Wentz, the bass player and lyricist from rock group Fall Out Boy; and several more investors.

Since then Phoenix Rising have become one of the most successful teams in the USL and have moved into their own 10,000-seat stadium. Didier Drogba and Shaun Wright-Phillips are among their more notable former players and Drogba, who finished his playing career in Arizona at the age of 40 in 2018, has a minority stake in the club. The hope is that Phoenix Rising will eventually join Major League Soccer.

Drogba is not believed to be among Johnson’s proposed group of investors in Ipswich, although it does include Phoenix Rising’s co-chairman Berke Bakay, the founder of Bakay Capital, a Phoenix-based hedge fund.

As well as his investment in Phoenix Rising, Johnson is also launching a USL team in Rhode Island and has a small stake in Danish side Helsingor.

The takeover would end a deteriorating marriage between Ipswich and Evans, who was born in London but raised in the Suffolk village of Walsham le Willows.

Despite being fiercely protective of his privacy, Evans took control of Ipswich when he paid approximately £6 million for the club’s £32 million debt to Barclays Bank and insurance company Norwich Union in 2007. He also invested a further £12 million into the club via a share issue that left him with an 87.5 per cent stake.

The plan was to return to the Premier League as soon as possible, having been relegated from the top flight in 2002, a year after George Burley led them to a remarkable fifth-place finish. Burley’s side were only pipped to the final Champions League place on the last day of the season by Liverpool.

David Sheepshanks, chairman at the time, predicted a bright future under Evans, saying: “We believe the investment provides the best opportunity for this football club to move forward, return to the Premier League and stay there.”

Unfortunately, Ipswich “spent a lot of money in the first few years and got nowhere”, as Evans once admitted. Managers Roy Keane and Paul Jewell were backed financially but a sixth-place finish in the Championship under Mick McCarthy in 2015 has been the zenith of Evans’ time in charge. And to add insult to injury, Ipswich lost to local rivals Norwich in the play-off semi-finals that year.

Evans has reduced his financial support in recent seasons but the club accounts show a total wage bill of £102 million over the last six years, which is more than their total income of £98 million. As of summer 2019, the club’s debt to Evans had grown to £96.4 million. Writing to supporters in December, Evans admitted Ipswich had lost money in all but one of the last 13 years.

Without publicly putting the club up for sale, Evans has consistently stated he would relinquish control if suitable investment was forthcoming. “I have always said I would step aside for an owner who would be prepared to spend more money on Ipswich so long as they are fully committed financially over a period of time to take the club up the league tables,” he wrote before Christmas.

The pandemic has taken a further toll on both the club’s and his own finances. Earlier this season, Evans predicted COVID-19 would cost Ipswich £10 million in lost income, while his Marcus Evans Group will likely have struggled more than most over the last 12 months as it is one of the world’s leading conference and sports hospitality businesses.

As Evans wrote in an article published on the club website in September: “Owners, whose own businesses may well be suffering losses, will get to a point where they are not in a position to continue to cover substantial deficits at their football club.”

The £17.5 million price tag for Ipswich will raise some eyebrows in the industry. It is not much less than Kyril Louis-Dreyfus is understood to have paid for his shares at Sunderland, a club that, unlike Ipswich, own their stadium and are fifth in League One.

It is also believed to be a similar amount to the Allam family’s asking price for Hull City. They do not own their ground either but were a Premier League side as recently as 2017 and are currently third in League One.

That said, Ipswich’s average gate of 19,500 was second only to Sunderland’s in League One in 2019-20, with only Leeds United, Derby County and Nottingham Forest having higher attendances in the Championship that season. And fans of a certain generation will remember the club’s golden era in the late 1970s and early 1980s when they won the FA Cup and UEFA Cup and twice finished second in the old First Division under Sir Bobby Robson.

Ipswich Town declined to comment.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:55 pm

Just been reading this above on the Wolves forum, looks like things are going in the right direction, COYB
Last edited by goldandblack on Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:01 pm

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:04 pm

You posted that with a big smile on your face Lis :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:08 pm

I’m just PRAYING it’s true John, praying really hard.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:16 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:08 pm
I’m just PRAYING it’s true John, praying really hard.
yeah like us the Town fans have put up with some crap over the years, (to many years) lets both clubs have some good days again,

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:36 pm

https://tucson.com/sports/local/with-ne ... 9eb6d.html

Brett Johnson just recently acquired the USL FC Tuscon franchise. Is this purchase the beginning of a burgeoning soccer empire, or are the rumours of Johnson purchasing ITFC rubbish. What will it be?