Evans looking to sell up / Club Sold ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

Re: Evans looking to sell up / Club Sold ?

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:23 pm

Well the reports about Cook have been spot on so far. Let’s hope the takeover information is spot on as well. Does feel it’s correct. Too many reputable journalists have put their neck on the line.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:43 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:22 pm
just passing on the comment really DB
Sorry, I didn't mean to come over all aggressive like. Just think the comment was in the 'no sh*t Sherlock' category. I guess we are all a bit jumpy at the moment hoping things go through and that it's not going to be a 'be careful what you wish for' scenario. That applies to me too.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:49 am

Gamechanger 20 Ltd, the company set up by the US consortium currently in the process of taking over Town, has made priority Land Registry searches relating to the purchase of the Blues’ training ground, a further indicator that the £30 million deal is nearing completion.

Among the directors of Gamechanger 20 Ltd are Mike O’Leary, the former West Brom chief executive and Oxford board member thought to be driving the deal, and Bristol City chief executive Mark Ashton, who worked alongside O’Leary at the Kassam Stadium and the Hawthorns, as well as Brett Johnson, Berke Bakay, Mark Detmar and Edward Schwartz, co-owners of USL club Phoenix Rising.

Town’s Playford Road training ground is the subject of a priority search regarding an intended purchase by Gamechanger 20, which was lodged on February 23rd by a law firm, Gateley PLC.

The Bent Lane site is subject to a similar search but only in respect of part of the site with TWTD having revealed on Friday that Evans will keep hold of part of that land following the takeover, presumably an area which has long been ear-marked for development between existing housing on Bent Lane.

A priority search is typically only carried out in the immediate anticipation of completing a transaction, perhaps slightly ahead, but usually on the day of exchange of contracts.

It may be that a conditional contract was entered into last Tuesday for the sale of the land and in turn the club as a whole.

It is unlikely that a search of this type would be carried out unless a deal had either been agreed or is extremely close.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:30 am

Here you go guys. Mike, it looks like it’s happening doesn’t it.....are you can start the dance round the house first, or am I ? :lol:

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... consortium

I’d say Evans is showing his true personal business acumen now. He’ll get more than he paid for this club, AND with a reported 5% state in the club he’ll get his debt back , and probably more. He’s covered his losses IMO.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:34 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:43 am
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:22 pm
just passing on the comment really DB
Sorry, I didn't mean to come over all aggressive like. Just think the comment was in the 'no sh*t Sherlock' category. I guess we are all a bit jumpy at the moment hoping things go through and that it's not going to be a 'be careful what you wish for' scenario. That applies to me too.
Hey DB, you’re fine munchkin ok . We’ve all taken such a lot of crap supporting this club for so long, it’s almost like a dream what’s happening now isn’t it. Even though none of us knows what lies ahead,( it could be absolutely magical, or more of the same dross, or perish the thought even worse 🤷‍♀️), but to stay with Evans I think we would ultimately die as a club. So here’s hoping the good times are finally ahead.

But as Town fans so often say, “ it’s the hope that kills you” .......

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:36 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:30 am
Here you go guys. Mike, it looks like it’s happening doesn’t it.....are you can start the dance round the house first, or am I ? :lol:

I’d say Evans is showing his true personal business acumen now. He’ll get more than he paid for this club, AND with a reported 5% state in the club he’ll get his debt back , and probably more. He’s covered his losses IMO.
It's definitely happening mate, I think that much is no obvious, clearly cook is here with the blessing of the new owners or it wouldn't have happened and he wouldn't be daft enough to take the job without that being the case.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:53 am

Just to support Mikes earlier post here, a Town fan has been doing a bit of “ research “ :lol: and has posted this....

I’ve been doing a bit of digging at HM Land Registry today and what I have seen backs up what Phil has previously mentioned and leads me to believe the takeover is well underway and likely just waiting EFL approval.

The Playford Road site (2 parcels of land) is the subject of a priority search in respect of an intended purchase by Gamechanger 20 Ltd which was lodged on 23 February by law firm Gateley PLC out of their Birmingham office (first instruction by that client).The Bent Lane site is subject to a similar priority search in respect of part of the site only, meaning the Evans group company is retaining part of it.

A priority search is carried out by solicitors to preserve their place in the queue of potential applications for dealing, it confers a priority period of about 45 days. It is a matter of public record and available to view by professionals who have the requisite portal account. It is typically only done in the immediate anticipation of completing a transaction, it can be done slightly ahead of this, but usually is done on the day of exchange of contracts. I’m a commercial property solicitor so carry out these searches on a regular basis. My best guess (based on the timing of the search) is Evans likely entered into a conditional contract last Tuesday for the sale of the land (and club). You would not carry out such a search unless a deal including the detail had either been agreed or was extremely close. The reason such searches are not carried out lightly is because it prevents the proprietor from entering into other transactions while the priority is lodged. If a deal is not happening you should cancel the search, but all 3 remain in place.

There is no corresponding priority search in respect of the stadium lease and I would not expect there to be as the lease is owned by the club as tenant and I would expect Gamechanger 20 Ltd is acquiring the existing share capital owned by Evans.

I am happy to share screenshots if anyone would like to see, but the searches are in relation to the Playford Road site (title number SK219236 & SK203140) and the bent lane site (SK200320) they appear under the “application enquiry” tab.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:56 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:36 am
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:30 am

It's definitely happening mate, I think that much is no obvious, clearly cook is here with the blessing of the new owners or it wouldn't have happened and he wouldn't be daft enough to take the job without that being the case.

I’m SO excited by all this Mike. I can’t tell you how it makes me feel really. To think we may now have a brighter further as a club and those dark days hopefully are finally behind us. The icing on the cake ( as if Evans selling up wasn’t enough), would be for Paul Cook to manage the impossible, and get us promoted this season, so the new owners start next season in the Championship. OMG you just watch those season tickets fly off the shelf now. 👍🥂🥂🥂🎉🥳

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:28 am

I don't want to p*ss on anybody's parade but I remember all the excitement when Evans bought the club.
Certainly the club needs a change of direction and I'm not one of those BCWYWF brigade but if the sale does go through then at least for me it will be a case of seeing what develops over time.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:33 am

It’d be wrong to p*ss on anyone’s parade and we do need to be able to get some level of excitement and joy out of this - BUT we don’t know too much about the consortium. How much money can they invest? How will they restructure the club? We’ve been making losses for 12 of the 13 years Evans has been here, so it’s going to be a tough job to turn things around - both on and off the pitch.
I’m hopeful this consortium know what they’re doing ( as they appear to have experience with taking over other clubs).

For the time being, though.... I’m very optimistic that the sale goes through without any snags and intend to be a bit excited about it. And change is definitely needed. That dampens the risk and uncertainty factor.... and more and more years of Evans would mean we’d be slowly dying anyway. Fingers crossed.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:34 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:28 am
I don't want to p*ss on anybody's parade but I remember all the excitement when Evans bought the club.
Certainly the club needs a change of direction and I'm not one of those BCWYWF brigade but if the sale does go through then at least for me it will be a case of seeing what develops over time.
Interesting times ahead.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:23 am

I think we are well overdue something to be just a little bit excited about and this is hopefully it, while I am happy for change I just want to see it in black and white and all official that Evans has gone, of course any takeover is a risk, there are no exceptions but what is clear to me is that without change our club will die a slow painful death.

I am more than happy with Paul Cook, some are likening him to other "Paul's " which for me is a little ridiculous, just because Hurst and Lambert failed means nothing, this guy has a good CV at our level and I hope to god he proves it, I am quietly optimistic.

The biggest thing from this is 100 Million debt being removed, I kept on hearing how it will never be paid back etc but it's still a uneasy stigma that is there and I find it embarrassing tbh, how any business can rack that amount up is abhorrent, it must never happen again. We need to give the new owners our support and trust they do the right things, of course we all felt the same when Evans bought the club, we had no reason not to but we can't measure everyone else by one bad experience, I have pretty good vibes about this.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:49 am

Yep I'd agree with all of those last few posts. I'm also cautious although I can't see much point in investing in the club if there isn't an opportunity identified to grow the business and make it profitable. Unfortunately business can be made profitable in a number of different ways, not all of which involve an abundance of investment.

I'm cautiously optimistic but we will have to wait until the next window I believe before we see how the new ownership intends to run the club.

Promotion this season in my view is very much a possibility. We are coming good at a good time and only Peterboro among the top 8 or so are keeping pace with us.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:51 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:23 am
I think we are well overdue something to be just a little bit excited about and this is hopefully it, while I am happy for change I just want to see it in black and white and all official that Evans has gone, of course any takeover is a risk, there are no exceptions but what is clear to me is that without change our club will die a slow painful death.

I am more than happy with Paul Cook, some are likening him to other "Paul's " which for me is a little ridiculous, just because Hurst and Lambert failed means nothing, this guy has a good CV at our level and I hope to god he proves it, I am quietly optimistic.

The biggest thing from this is 100 Million debt being removed, I kept on hearing how it will never be paid back etc but it's still a uneasy stigma that is there and I find it embarrassing tbh, how any business can rack that amount up is abhorrent, it must never happen again. We need to give the new owners our support and trust they do the right things, of course we all felt the same when Evans bought the club, we had no reason not to but we can't measure everyone else by one bad experience, I have pretty good vibes about this.
Mike, I would be surprised if the £100m debt disappears. Debt has value. ME will likely write off most of it from his point of view but for any new owners it's a valuable asset and not to be just thrown away. My view only of course.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:55 am

How it's being stated is that the debt will be written off giving them a clean slate from the off. Time will tell I guess.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:57 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:51 am
Bluemike wrote:

Mike, I would be surprised if the £100m debt disappears. Debt has value. ME will likely write off most of it from his point of view but for any new owners it's a valuable asset and not to be just thrown away. My view only of course.
Please excuse my dimness here, but how does debt have value and be considered a valuable asset? Can’t get my head round that I’m afraid. If that’s true most of us could be potentially very well off ? :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:59 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:55 am
How it's being stated is that the debt will be written off giving them a clean slate from the off. Time will tell I guess.
If Evans has a 5% stake in the club after sale , then when this club is sold on for profit by the consortium, Evans stands t9 cover his £100m debt I’d suggest ...and maybe more
Last edited by hallamblue on Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:59 pm

Was a late January 2015 night. And it was bedtime.
“I’m going to give the man the money, darling. He deserves it.”
“That’s fantastic news, Marcus.” Mrs Evans replied.
They both switched off their bedside lamps and drifted off to sleep.

He’s had 5 million pounds, Marcus, Marcus, Marcus (echo) ...... hey Marcus, five million quid. Look at that Hungarian headless chicken out there, Marcus Marcus Marcus. He’s a portion of that. Another hatrick for Rhodes at Huddersfield Marcus Marcus Marcus, ..... look at Tamas, look at him Marcus Marcus Marcus...... it was Roy, is Roy Mick, Marcus Marcus Marcus..... Remember Roy, Marcus Marcus Marcus........

“AHHHH,” Marcus screams and sits bolt upright.
“What happened?”
Sweating profusely, Marcus mutters, “it’s Roy. It was Roy. Dear God above, Tamas. Can’t have Tamas again. It was Roy.”
“There , there, honey, back to sleep,”
Marcus eases back down onto his pillow and drifts off.
The next morning at breakfast, Mrs Evans asks what it was all about.
“Wow. I have no recollection of that, dear.”
“Well it seemed like a nightmare.”
“Oh well, maybe it’ll come back to me.”
“Ok darling. Are you letting Mick know today about the January money?”
“No, he’s getting f*ck all, dear. Bye for now. See you tonight.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:14 pm

Lmao Marko, you crack me up

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:02 pm

That's brilliant Marko! "The Ghost of Ipswich Past"... :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:02 pm

So there is no impending sale to anyone at this time!!!
Gutted doesn't come close

That brings me neatly to more talk of financial help in the form of a takeover!
I’m sure you are aware of the media stories that have been swirling around over the last week or two suggesting that I am about to sell the Club.

Let me put on record that in my 13 years plus as owner of Ipswich Town, I have never looked to sell the Club. That is still the case.

In that time I have received approaches to see if I would sell - some credible - some not so. I received another new enquiry only two weeks ago (not the one reported in the media) and in each case, I have looked first and foremost at whether that investment would be in the long term best interests of the Club and also not to forget the interests of the army of small shareholders, whose equity I have never diluted, by looking to turn my debts into Club equity.

They still remain as just over 10% shareholders in the Club through their shares in ITFC PLC and I would always want to ensure they are fairly treated.

There are many examples of clubs that have gone for risky short term fixes or sold out to investors who found it all too easy to walk away when the going gets tough.

I am fully supportive of foreign ownership of English football clubs and many have been great additions to the UK club landscape; however football is not a normal business, with much beyond financial pressures on owners, and one needs to take that into account when judging the long term commitment of possible investors with no personal roots in the community.

The clubs that got it wrong paid a heavy price, sometimes very quickly. I have invested too much time, energy and funding to put this Club at risk.

I am not going to deny there has always been interest in Ipswich Town, ours is a great club with great history and a potentially great future, but please don’t take everything you read in the media as ‘the state of play’.

I have had detailed offers for the Club past and present but there has been nothing brand new in the last 12 months, though a number of those with historic interest come back from time to time and there is nothing that is currently acceptable to me or the Club and I reiterate that any decision that needs to be made by me will be based on what is right in the long term.

I have said for the last few years that, as new football investors with potentially greater investment pain thresholds than me appear on the scene, if I feel someone is in a better position than me to carry the Club forward with sustained investment, I will step aside. If I have concerns having had unique access to look behind the mask of interested parties, I won’t sell, end of.

One thing I can confirm, if I feel there is something to say officially on the matter, you the supporters will be the first to hear from me. But for now, the only focus I have is supporting our new manager and the players in what promises to be an exciting conclusion to the season. 

Thanks as always for your support for the Club and let’s get right behind Paul and the team - albeit sadly from afar!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:11 pm

As always, to be taken with a pinch of salt. We are not privy to inside information. It's not over yet IMO.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:16 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:57 pm
Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:51 am
Bluemike wrote:

Please excuse my dimness here, but how does debt have value and be considered a valuable asset? Can’t get my head round that I’m afraid. If that’s true most of us could be potentially very well off ? :lol:
Debt has value to whoever it is owed. If you have a loan from the bank this debt has value to the bank and the bank can sell this to someone else (actually Banks regularly do this with their poor quality debt). In the case of ITFC the debt is supposed to be paid back in the event of promotion to the debt holder (ME). The chances of this happening might be slim so that someone else might pay to buy the debt off ME if they fancy a gamble but they might pay say £10m for it if they see the chances of it ever being paid back as 1 in 10.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:44 pm

Ah, that makes sense thank you for that...... but atm after his latest email stunt , he’s an arse hole in my book until proven otherwise.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:32 pm

Well, it’s not going away.....

The takeover by Gamechanger 20 Ltd - The training ground land on 10:09 - Mar 5 by Muncher

If nothing was happening all 3 parties, Gamechanger 20, Gateleys and the Marcus Evans group company that owns the land would want them cancelled. I'm pretty sure all 3 parties will be well aware that people are reporting these searches. For Marcus Evans in particular it would be an easy way to end what is probably unhelpful speculation.

CLICK ON LINK TO SEE THE PICTURE That I COULDNT COPY...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... draw-1.png

They are easy to cancel, just one button to click, but it's not happening, which to me speaks volumes....

[Post edited 5 Mar 10:12]

These get done on exchange of contracts right? I guess it's just the EFL ratification were waiting on.

These get done on exchange of contracts right? I guess it's just the EFL ratification were waiting on.

From a UK conveyancer's website:

Priority search is one of the most important searches conducted in the process of conveyancing. It is conducted by the buyer’s solicitor after the exchange of contracts.

Basically, priority searches are some last minute searches conducted by the solicitor. This is conducted immediately before the completion. It is really beneficial because it ensures or guarantees that no changes are made to title of the property that you are intending to buy at the last minute.

Brilliant detective work Muncher. Been keeping my eye on this thread religiously for the past few days!

Who knows why this is dragging out, but if it’s a priority period of 45 days and it was lodged on Feb 23rd, does that mean we can expect this deal to go through by April 9th at the very latest?

As people have been speculating, Evans’ statement may have been a call to other interested parties to get in any last minute bids and April 9th is his deadline, at which point he’d happily settle with the Americans knowing there was nothing else on the table? Could you see that as a tactic someone in ME’s position might use, or is that not the done thing in your experience?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:14 pm

Well if it still bubbling under the surface, then ME’s negotiating hand has been strengthened in the last two weeks.

A couple of weeks ago we seemed at our lowest ebb after Northampton in 12th and heading downwards — then 10 points later we’re 7th and 2 points outside the playoffs. Could be in those two weeks we’ve gone from a miserable mid-table league one club to one who has a genuine chance to get to the Championship. It must affect the price of the club and Marcus has every right to ask for more.... if they are indeed still negotiating.

Or he could have got a second wind and been bolstered by getting rid of Lambert and bringing in a new messiah - and he’s here to stay.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:10 am

Today on TWTD interview with Frank Yallop, he says Ipswich Town FC would be in very good hands with Gamechanger 20 Ltd as new owners, the owners of Phoenix Rising have done a marvellous job over a 4 year period in making them a very good strong club.

So I still think this is going to happen probably end of March, and Marcus is still casting the sale for a larger selling price than the £30 million on the table from Brett Johnson.

The deal in my estimation is still smoking, just waiting for the wind of fortune to fan the flames.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:02 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:10 am
Today on TWTD interview with Frank Yallop, he says Ipswich Town FC would be in very good hands with Gamechanger 20 Ltd as new owners, the owners of Phoenix Rising have done a marvellous job over a 4 year period in making them a very good strong club.

So I still think this is going to happen probably end of March, and Marcus is still casting the sale for a larger selling price than the £30 million on the table from Brett Johnson.

The deal in my estimation is still smoking, just waiting for the wind of fortune to fan the flames.
I was pleased to read the Frank Yallop interview he sounds very positive about them so just bring it on please.👍

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:37 pm

If we sneak into the playoff places, presumably that increases the potential value of the club. If results continue to go our way, it's in ME's interests to delay the sale.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:49 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:37 pm
If we sneak into the playoff places, presumably that increases the potential value of the club. If results continue to go our way, it's in ME's interests to delay the sale.
That’s what I’m thinking. Why would he sell now at a lowish League One price when in a couple of months we could be a Championship side and worth considerably more. He might as well hang on a couple of months so he knows what he’s selling. A League One or a Championship side?