Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

What's our response to the Gillingham result?

Town Win
39%
Imps Win
61%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 18

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:55 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Lincoln CityImage

Tuesday 9th March 2021 – 19:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Not The Start We Were Hoping For.......

A limp & toothless display away to Gillingham was hardly the way we all envisaged Paul Cook's tenure as Ipswich Town manager was going to begin but alas the Boy's in Blue seldom fail to disappoint these days and so the hope and promise that had built up in the previous few games seem to all evaporate just like that. Cook went into the game having only arived 3 days earlier and having stated it had been a manic few days getting to know everyone etc he also stated he didn't want to change to much following Three wins on the bounce and he was true to his word with only Alan Judge missing due to a family bereavement, we all send our condolences to Judgey.

So just what went wrong, well for One we didn't seem to stick to our game plan and style of play from the off, against Hull, Doncaster & Accrington we went about it in our own way and without being great we ground out results, against the Gills however we seemed to get sucked into how they wanted the game to be played, something Luke Chambers touched on in his post match interview. He also said having got back on level terms against the run of play we then contrived to beat ourselves with ridiculous individual errors which I won't touch on the who and why as a certain player just makes my blood boil. The timing was awful as following Chambo's goal we did for a few minutes at least look the most likely team to go on and win it so despite being far from our best it could well be a case of a massive opportunity missed, especially when you look at Portsmouth getting thrashed at Northampton & Posh coming unstuck at Burton, we have to start taking advantage.

When I looked at the fixtures a few days ago I highlighted a fair few games in the closing weeks that I feel we can win, thankfully Gillingham away wasn't One of them as I just had no confidence in gong there and turning them over and so it proved, nor did I put Lincoln at home as a definite win and it is they we come up against Tuesday evening at Portman Road, a win in this One would right a few wrongs but we need individual players to be on their game, something that wasn't the case Saturday. It has been well documented just how important it is to have James Norwood in the starting line up and while that is the case I believe I justifiably gave him a tough time Saturday, frustrated he might have been but from the opening couple of minutes he was giving away fouls left, right and centre to give up simple possession and territorial advantage time and time again, just imagine Toto giving away that many fouls around our box, for me it's the same thing. Of course it was far from just him, Josh Harrop looks hopeless, Dozzell had a mare, Bennetts was just well, Bennetts, Parrott huffed and puffed and try as he may it just didn't come off, Bishop took ages to impose himself on the game, Holy was at times erratic and kenlock had his least effective game since returning to the side so it was hardly surprising we struggled.

I usually hate the saying "we'll park that one and move onto the next game" but on this occasion I totally agree, Paul Cook will have seen at first hand a few things we all know already and a few days more on the training ground will help, I get the feeling we won't be seeing another poor performance like that here and some kind of reaction is a must. Incredibly we are still in a decent position to force our way into the play off picture and while some are saying let's not worry about that this season I disagree, you would and should always take a promotion no matter when or how it comes, to do it this season would be a massive plus given how things have been so every game is important from now on in. Lincoln are no mugs for sure, their league placing says so but try as I might this is Lincoln City for god sake, coming to Ipswich Town as the favourites to win ? Sorry I can't be accepting that and never will. Town win for me and the Paul Cook era is properly up and running. COYB'S

The Opposition – Lincoln City

Having formed officially as an amateur association in 1884 after the disbanding of Lincoln Rovers (formerly Lincoln Recreation).

Lincoln soon helped to form what was then the Second Division in 1892–93 season, as an increasing number of clubs wished to join the Football League. The first game at Sincil Bank was in 1895, after moving from the John O'Gaunts Ground, was a friendly draw with local rivals, Gainsborough Trinity.

Up until the 1920s Lincoln spent most of their time swinging between the Second Division and the more localised leagues, the Midland and also the Central league. After then, however, in the 1921–22 season, Lincoln, along with several other clubs from the Central and Midland leagues, founded the Third Division (North). The newly founded league and the Second Division would take turns in becoming Lincoln's home up until the early 1960s where they would drop a further division to the Fourth Division in the 1962–63 season.

Their championship honours include three Division 3 (North) championships in 1931–32, 1947–48 and 1951–52, a Division 4 (now League Two) championship in 1975–76 (when they were managed by future England manager Graham Taylor).

It was the 1975–76 season where the club broke the record for most points for a whole season when 2 instead of 3 points were awarded for a win with 74 points in total (this was and still is the record amount of points achieved under the 2-point system); the record of winning the most games (32) and losing the fewest (4), was also set. City also become the first club in nearly a decade to score over 100 league goals (111 in total). They also won 21 out of 23 home league games in this season (the other 2 were drawn) and also won 11 games away from home, another impressive bout from the club. It was the season where, Graham Taylor recalls, "teams were petrified of coming to Sincil Bank".

In 1982 and again in 1983, Lincoln narrowly missed out on promotion to the Second Division. In 1985, Lincoln were the opposition at Bradford City when the Bradford City stadium fire claimed the lives of 56 spectators – two of them, Bill Stacey and Jim West, were Lincoln fans, and subsequently these fans had the Stacey West stand named after them.

Lincoln were relegated on the last day of the following season, and the year after that they became the first team to suffer automatic relegation from the Football League. This was a dramatic decline for a club who had almost reached the Second Division four years earlier and has been linked to the trauma arising from the disaster. This marked the fourth occasion on which Lincoln were demoted from the Football League, a record that still stands.

They regained their Football League place automatically via promotion as champions of the Conference (beforehand it was done by re-election) at the first attempt with a long ball game devised by eccentric manager Colin Murphy and held on to it until the end of season 2010–11. On 8 September 1990, Lincoln were the opposition when David Longhurst suffered a fatal heart attack during the first half of a game against York City at Bootham Crescent.

On 3 May 2002 Lincoln successfully petitioned to go into administrationbut the financial crisis would leave the first team squad bereft of players as the day saw five senior players –released at the end of their contracts with a sixth, departing for Leyton Orient. A hectic day finished with confirmation of Keith Alexander's official appointment as team manager.

In 2002–03, Alexander was given the task of keeping the team in the football league, he proved the many pundits and fans who believed that Lincoln would be relegated and sent out of business due to financial irregularities wrong. With a team made up of cheap ex-non-league players and the lower paid members of the previous season's squad he managed to take them to the play-off final which they lost to Bournemouth. The team were rewarded with a civil reception in Lincoln, and an open-top bus ride through Lincoln, an event usually preserved for the winners of such competitions, but was awarded to the team because of the massive achievement.

In 2003–04 Alexander again confounded the critics by coaching the Imps to another play-off position, this time losing to eventual winners Huddersfield Town in the semi-finals. Alexander, one of the very few black managers in the Football League, had a very serious brain injury (a cerebral aneurysm) halfway through the season, but made a full recovery. In the 2004–05 season they again qualified for the play-offs, for a third year running, and in the semi-finals Lincoln beat Macclesfield Town 2–1 on aggregate over two legs but lost in the final against Southend United 2–0 after extra time.

In the 2005–06 season finished 7th in League 2 after only losing 3 games since the new year. Lincoln were to face local neighbours Grimsby Town in the play-offs, a side they had beaten 5–0 at Sincil Bank earlier in the season. However, once again it was not to be, as Lincoln lost 3–1 on aggregate to become the first team ever to lose four consecutive play-off competitions.

Keith Alexander left his position as manager of Lincoln City by mutual consent on 24 May 2006 stating that he could take the club no further, and shortly after on 15 June John Schofield was appointed his successor. For the fifth year in a row, under a different manager, however, Lincoln City reached the League Two play-offs after finishing 5th in the league (the highest position that they have qualified for the play-offs in). Once again, however, they lost, this time to Bristol Rovers in the semi-finals courtesy of a 2–1 defeat away and a 3–5 defeat at home. The failure to succeed in five successive Play-off competitions is a record for any club.

After a run of nine losses and a draw in the final ten games, Lincoln City were relegated from League Two on the last day of the end of the 2010–2011 season, finishing in 23rd Place.

Following relegation to the Conference Premier, Tilson released all but three members of the squad, telling them they had no future at Sincil Bank. By early October, Lincoln were one point above the relegation zone and the management were coming under fire after a run of one win in four; Tilson was sacked as manager on 10 October 2011 and Grant Brown was put in temporary charge.

Brown remained in charge for four games, winning the first but none of the subsequent three, before former Mansfield Town manager David Holdsworth was confirmed as manager. Holdsworth managed the Imps to safety but only by 8 points.

On 17 February 2013, David Holdsworth left the club by mutual consent following twelve games without a win. On 27 February 2013, Gary Simpson, a former assistant of Keith Alexander during his time at the club, was appointed manager until the end of the season. Safety was secured on the final day with an away win against Hyde.

After a good start to the 2013–14 season, Lincoln went on a run of just two wins in seventeen games, which saw the Imps embroiled in relegation trouble once more. From the start of February to the end of the season, Lincoln lost just three games, and finished 14th in the league, their best placing since relegation.

Gary Simpson was placed on gardening leave on 3 November 2014. Assistant manager Chris Moyses was placed in temporary charge and then appointed permanently on 8 December 2014. Lincoln finished 15th that season. 2015–16 would prove to be largely a season of mid-table stability, eventually culminating in a 13th-place finish. Just before the season ended, Moyses announced that he would leave the club in order to focus on his business interests outside of football, and was subsequently replaced by Braintree Town manager Danny Cowley.

City started the 2016–17 season with mixed form, winning two and losing two of their opening four games. This was followed by a run of victories that resulted in the Imps sitting top of the table after a victory at Tranmere. The good form continued into the New Year as the Imps gradually started to pull clear of the group. Despite a bit of a dip of form in March, Cowley would go on to lead the Imps to a National League title and a return to League Two for the first time since their relegation six years earlier.

In the 2016–17 FA Cup, Lincoln beat Championship side Ipswich Town, in a replay, before defeating Championship leaders Brighton and Hove Albion at Sincil Bank to make the fifth round of the FA cup for the first time since the end of the Victorian era. On 18 February, Lincoln went on to beat top flight side Burnley 1–0 to historically go through to the FA Cup quarter final, the first time a non-league club had progressed to the last eight since 1914. In the quarter finals, they were defeated 5–0 at Arsenal.

In the 2017–18 season, on 6 February 2018, Lincoln beat Chelsea U21s in the semi-final of the 2017–18 EFL Trophy, taking them to Wembley Stadium for the first time in the 134 years of the club. They went on to win the final against Shrewsbury Town on 8 April 2018. They also qualified for the semi-finals of the League 2 playoffs, but were knocked out by Exeter over the two legs.

Lincoln won League Two, on 22 April 2019, after a 0–0 draw against Tranmere Rovers, having been top of the table since 25 August 2018.

Last season the Imps finished in 16th place in League 1

The Manager – Michael Appleton

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches, currently in 8th place with 50 points

20 Feb Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Oxford Utd

23 Feb Hull City 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

27 Feb Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Doncaster

02 Mar Accrington 1-2 Ipswich Town

06 Mar Gillingham 3-1 Ipswich Town

Lincoln City Last 5 Matches, currently in 3rd place with 60points

20 Feb Wigan Athletic 1 - 2 Lincoln City

23 Feb Lincoln City 2 - 2 Swindon Town

27 Feb Plymouth 4 - 3 Lincoln City

2 Mar Lincoln City 1 - 2 Fleetwood

6 Mar Lincoln City 3 - 0 Crewe Alexandra

Match referee – James Oldham

IPSWICH TOWN 1 LINCOLN CITY 0

Andym

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:13 pm

Really can't see Lincoln failing to score. I reckon they'll score at least 2.

What are the chanecessary of us scoring 3? Very small.
Scoring 2? Pretty small.

Defeat it is then. 3-1 again.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:39 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:13 pm
Really can't see Lincoln failing to score. I reckon they'll score at least 2.

What are the chanecessary of us scoring 3? Very small.
Scoring 2? Pretty small.

Defeat it is then. 3-1 again.
That pretty much sums up my thoughts. Too soon for Cook's influence to reveal itself. I still think we'll make the playoffs though.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:40 pm

Nice preview....., I see things just a tad differently regarding that Gillingham game, if it could be called a football game. And I mean that more from a Gillingham perspective than ITFC. They were utter shyte with their thump thump thump football. Was terrible to watch. Their only piece of decent play was the goal which started from Sears' poor pass. The rest was like the days when Hibs would play Alloa, Raith, Morton etc etc. Teams that just thump the ball to anyone at all. Very frustrating to watch and without doubt frustrating for those players to play against. I see it as the ONLY reason Ipswich looked like chalk n cheese from the Hull City game. Hull were prepared to play the game and look for opportunities......., two teams playing football. Sounds like an ad to play "thump thump" football with Hull losing to Ipswich and Gillingham winning. :lol: It is more about the division in my opinion. The quality, and lack of it.

Norwood does give away a lot of fouls. Amongst my pals, I get called "there he is" because I am forever screaming to Lewis Stevenson or Ryan Porteous, "THERE HE IS, THERE HE IS" when another player has made space or run into a space to receive a pass. While watching ITFC, I find myself saying "there he is" on several occasions throughout these games with regards to James Norwood. He has a good ability to read the game, certainly better than any other player out there. As a result, I reckon he suffers from frustration, maybe too easily yes, but the fouls are arguably both justifiable and worth it to have him on the pitch. Bennetts effing about with the ball at one point v Gills, Norrie moving forward, onside at pace, and with acres in front of him....., but???? For me, if Norwood gets himself injured, it'll be League One next season. And yes, he's only scored once in the past five or six games, but if Cookie can construct a new system, maybe realises that two up front (like v Hull) is better for this group of players, then the fat bloke will shine.

Would like to see the 2-0 win in this. Would also like to see playing on the deck football and that is why the tenner will be getting spent this Tuesday. If its hoofing thumpball, then that'll be the tenners stopped.

Ref caption:
"Yeah my grandad reffed last weeks game. He's picking me up from school today so I can ref this one."

Appleton caption:
"Great joke eh, Mike? No?"
(Picture)
"ok then!"

Lincoln caption:
"I know I said I'd take you to see Man Utd son, but this'll do eh? The mighty Lincoln? No?"

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:59 am

marko69 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:40 pm
Nice preview....., I see things just a tad differently regarding that Gillingham game, if it could be called a football game. And I mean that more from a Gillingham perspective than ITFC. They were utter shyte with their thump thump thump football. Was terrible to watch. Their only piece of decent play was the goal which started from Sears' poor pass. The rest was like the days when Hibs would play Alloa, Raith, Morton etc etc. Teams that just thump the ball to anyone at all. Very frustrating to watch and without doubt frustrating for those players to play against. I see it as the ONLY reason Ipswich looked like chalk n cheese from the Hull City game. Hull were prepared to play the game and look for opportunities......., two teams playing football. Sounds like an ad to play "thump thump" football with Hull losing to Ipswich and Gillingham winning. :lol: It is more about the division in my opinion. The quality, and lack of it.

Norwood does give away a lot of fouls. Amongst my pals, I get called "there he is" because I am forever screaming to Lewis Stevenson or Ryan Porteous, "THERE HE IS, THERE HE IS" when another player has made space or run into a space to receive a pass. While watching ITFC, I find myself saying "there he is" on several occasions throughout these games with regards to James Norwood. He has a good ability to read the game, certainly better than any other player out there. As a result, I reckon he suffers from frustration, maybe too easily yes, but the fouls are arguably both justifiable and worth it to have him on the pitch. Bennetts effing about with the ball at one point v Gills, Norrie moving forward, onside at pace, and with acres in front of him....., but???? For me, if Norwood gets himself injured, it'll be League One next season. And yes, he's only scored once in the past five or six games, but if Cookie can construct a new system, maybe realises that two up front (like v Hull) is better for this group of players, then the fat bloke will shine.

Would like to see the 2-0 win in this. Would also like to see playing on the deck football and that is why the tenner will be getting spent this Tuesday. If its hoofing thumpball, then that'll be the tenners stopped.

Ref caption:
"Yeah my grandad reffed last weeks game. He's picking me up from school today so I can ref this one."

Appleton caption:
(Picture)
"ok then!"

Lincoln caption:
"I know I said I'd take you to see Man Utd son, but this'll do eh? The mighty Lincoln? No?"
I agree with so much of this. The Norwood and Bennetts comments - there comes a time when you stop Running into space when you know the bloke with the ball Will keep running til he loses it or put in a cross that goes out for a throw in.
It is why I’ve always liked Dozzell. He had many faults and was poor on Saturday but he is one of the few players we have who can see and play a quick pass to a man in space.
The only thing I disagree with is Norwood conceding so many free kicks on Saturday. It wasn’t all out of frustration, it started in the first few minutes. And it takes the pressure of the opposition, giving them time, possession and territory.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:22 am

marko69 wrote:

Ref caption:

Appleton caption:
(Picture)
"ok then!"

Lincoln caption:

Can't keep doing this Marko but yet again agree with you but Norwood has scored more than 1 goal lately, 3 I think lately, Hull, Doncaster and Stanley if I remember correctly. Agree though if lose him then an already hard job of getting in top becomes tougher still

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:42 am

Andym wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:59 am
marko69 wrote:

Ref caption:

Appleton caption:
(Picture)
"ok then!"

Lincoln caption:
I agree with so much of this. The Norwood and Bennetts comments - there comes a time when you stop Running into space when you know the bloke with the ball Will keep running til he loses it or put in a cross that goes out for a throw in.
It is why I’ve always liked Dozzell. He had many faults and was poor on Saturday but he is one of the few players we have who can see and play a quick pass to a man in space.
The only thing I disagree with is Norwood conceding so many free kicks on Saturday. It wasn’t all out of frustration, it started in the first few minutes. And it takes the pressure of the opposition, giving them time, possession and territory.
That was exactly my gripe, he helped them no end and for me that was why I felt he had a poor game.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:56 am

Foot ball being foo5ball, I’m going to say a win for Town 2-1👍

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:58 am

Too reliant on Norwood at the moment. Not sure why he’s being singled out, though. Dozzell, Bishop, Bennetts, Harrop didnt do enough and got out-muscled.Toto and Wilson battled gamely, but were not as dominant as before. Toto struggled with their big striker who was a handful all game. Why is the lone front man getting the stick for not dealing that well with the poor service he received.
Drinan and Jackson would struggle to do a similar job. Hawkins would be useful now to stick on from the bench - how long is he injured for? Keeping Norwood fit is key if we still have a chance.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:06 pm

He isn't being singled out or getting all the stick, I think on other posts I've mentioned Harrop, Sears, Bennetts, Bishop and Dozzell as not being good enough, it seems Norwood is untouchable from criticism when for me he warrants it, he was p*ss poor the other night missing Four sitters, my god if that was Parrott I could just see it now, Norwood needs 15 chances and he may finish one, he's not prolific by any means but his foul count and offside count are both certainly prolific.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:25 pm

I think Norwood gets plenty of criticism - especially when he misses sitters. But I like him as he can actually make chances for himself and seems to get into positions to score...and he needles the defenders. It might take 3, 4 or 5 attempts - but he tends to get a goal eventually. There’s some strikers who can’t even get into positions to score.

I just think we need more from the midfielders and wide men. I wouldn’t mess with the defence, but hopefully see changes elsewhere.

Looks like Hawkins is nearly ready to return as per today’s presser. If we’re going to persist with long high balls to the front man - then a 6ft 5” front man in Hawkins is likely to have more luck than a 5ft 10” Norwood. We just need the runners from midfield and wide to win the scraps from the second ball.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:34 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:58 am
Too reliant on Norwood at the moment. Not sure why he’s being singled out, though. Dozzell, Bishop, Bennetts, Harrop didnt do enough and got out-muscled.Toto and Wilson battled gamely, but were not as dominant as before. Toto struggled with their big striker who was a handful all game. Why is the lone front man getting the stick for not dealing that well with the poor service he received.
Drinan and Jackson would struggle to do a similar job. Hawkins would be useful now to stick on from the bench - how long is he injured for? Keeping Norwood fit is key if we still have a chance.
I'm certainly not singling him out. He was poor along with the rest of the team on Saturday. My only criticism of him was the constant fouling. Strikers will miss chances just like defenders will miss tackles. It's part of the game.

I think we have to ask why we were so poor, and it's partly hidden in Marko's post. It's the inability to find a quick accurate pass. The defence played their part in the failure by hoofing it throughout the first half. People were saying "Where's the midfield?" but in the first half both sides just hoofed it over them from back to front.

To my mind that's where it all started to go wrong. People moaned about the tippy tappy passing from the back, but I prefer that to the aimless hoofing of Saturday.

Then of course, the first goal. I remember before the last World Cup, Southgate was saying how he had watched many Germany matches trying to figure out why they are so successful. He noted they avoided giving away needless free kicks in the defensive third. Dozzell made that mistake and we paid the price.

Then of course, the other fatal mistake - Sears giving away possession unnecessarily when pushing forward. We criticise defenders for not getting forward, or if they do for being caught out of position. The answer is to keep possession; a full back can't be in two places at once.

When a striker fouls, he gives the opposition time to set up, possession of the ball and the opportunity to get the ball away from a dangerous area. The only time it's worth it is to give the defenders a chance to get back.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:49 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:34 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:58 am
I'm certainly not singling him out. He was poor along with the rest of the team on Saturday. My only criticism of him was the constant fouling. Strikers will miss chances just like defenders will miss tackles. It's part of the game.

I think we have to ask why we were so poor, and it's partly hidden in Marko's post. It's the inability to find a quick accurate pass. The defence played their part in the failure by hoofing it throughout the first half. People were saying "Where's the midfield?" but in the first half both sides just hoofed it over them from back to front.

To my mind that's where it all started to go wrong. People moaned about the tippy tappy passing from the back, but I prefer that to the aimless hoofing of Saturday.

Then of course, the first goal. I remember before the last World Cup, Southgate was saying how he had watched many Germany matches trying to figure out why they are so successful. He noted they avoided giving away needless free kicks in the defensive third. Dozzell made that mistake and we paid the price.

Then of course, the other fatal mistake - Sears giving away possession unnecessarily when pushing forward. We criticise defenders for not getting forward, or if they do for being caught out of position. The answer is to keep possession; a full back can't be in two places at once.

When a striker fouls, he gives the opposition time to set up, possession of the ball and the opportunity to get the ball away from a dangerous area. The only time it's worth it is to give the defenders a chance to get back.
Nothing wrong with tippy tappy football so long as it's played at pace and with intent. For that you need good players, which is why it's used in the Premier and Championship. The reality is that at our level the players really are not good enough to play it effectively.
Like it or not we need to accept that in the third tier, hoofball is king.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:31 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:06 pm
He isn't being singled out or getting all the stick, I think on other posts I've mentioned Harrop, Sears, Bennetts, Bishop and Dozzell as not being good enough, it seems Norwood is untouchable from criticism when for me he warrants it, he was p*ss poor the other night missing Four sitters, my god if that was Parrott I could just see it now, Norwood needs 15 chances and he may finish one, he's not prolific by any means but his foul count and offside count are both certainly prolific.
You have somed up Norwood perfectly there.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:33 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:25 pm
I like him as he can actually make chances for himself and seems to get into positions to score...and he needles the defenders. It might take 3, 4 or 5 attempts - but he tends to get a goal eventually. There’s some strikers who can’t even get into positions to score.

I just think we need more from the midfielders and wide men.
There is no way on Earth I am going to waltz in here and go on about "what's best" on the strength of the Hull and Gills game, (missed donny & Stanley) ...., that'd be insane. You lot have witnessed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than me. But on what's been observed so far by myself, I 100% agree with the above.

As Paul Cook will no doubt say in the coming weeks, (at least I hope he says it)...., with a bit more quality from the midfield, the goals will come. I reckon even Parrott could possibly benefit big time because he showed at least three pieces of very good vision going forward in the Hull game. Really poor return passes from others, (really like to remember who two of them were from but certainly Bennetts was one) prevented at least a one on one with the keeper scenario.

Don't know the answer to Norwood missing sitters. Can't figure it out. He missed very little @ Tranmere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRsOgyup0eE

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:38 pm

I think Norwood is just ring rusty marko. He’s hardly played in the last season and a half has he, and certainly has played for us 100% fit since he’s been here.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:41 pm

Ring rusty? :shock: Is that a typo?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:47 pm

No. Why do you think that! He’s not played that much this season and when he has he’s definitely not been 100%fit... hence the term “ring rusty”.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:00 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:47 pm
No. Why do you think that! He’s not played that much this season and when he has he’s definitely not been 100%fit... hence the term “ring rusty”.
Sorry Hallam..... :lol: Definitely not a term used in Scotland. And I still can't link not being 100% fit to ring rusty?? What does it mean? What is the ring in relation to football? Is it a boxing term crossing over into football?

It is making me think of two days of diahorrea and wiping......., ooooooo, rusty ring!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:33 pm

The Gillingham score caught a number of people out. Yes the team had picked out one or two impressive scores or improved performance before it but it would have been absurd to get ahead of oneself and start planning ahead to something that was most likely beyond reach. You can't castigate Cook on one game alone, the players were more culpable for the last loss rather than the manager itself. Going to take time to fit in, wasn't my first choice for the job but you got to provide backing and encouragement, it's all about the good of the team.

Opposition here have caused problems and embarrassment in the past, teams are now closer joined in terms of league status but they can score goals although have a tendency to concede also. Hope to win obviously, f*ck all the will we won't we make a promotion place, just focus on the task in hand each time it comes around and try not to allow other concerns to interject. Believe a draw here is most realistic, just hope the players show a lot more desire and determination than last time out.

ITFC 1 Visitors 1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:55 pm

He probably was ring rusty as he was more interested in wrestling as I recall

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:21 pm

Got to be honest, I find it incredible that Norwood is getting on your nerves so much. He's not a lightweight bloke. He's a stocky lad and he's definitely playing in the modern "lightweight defender" era. They fall like sacks of sh*t. For me certainly, I want to see Norrie continue pressing, hassling and getting in amongst these players. Really can't see Cook asking him to ease off. Maybe coach a little accuracy but it can't really be done in this era. Even in the EPL. After watching Match of the Day..... Salah closing down Fulham defenders who were falling over their own shadows: freekicks etc.
Actually think if Norwood lost any intensity, he'd get considerably more pelters from the fans.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:22 pm

I think people misunderstand me, I would always put Norwood in my starting Eleven, all I was saying Saturday is that I felt he was p*ss poor, as was his finishing against whoever it was a few days before, he ain't all that at times but we deffo need him available, the wrestling jibe was a bad attempt at humour but I don't think he is the model pro by any means, bloody wrestling when he was unfit, climbing up drainpipes to get into his house, smashing his car windows cus he locks himself out, missing an upcoming game to appear in court when we need him most, and yet he seems to be held in high esteem while others probably give their all and get lambasted at giving away a penalty or something.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:47 pm

He was really wrestling? :lol: Did that actually happen?

Your ring rusty joke is too drawer then :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is ring rusty though? Must go do what I hate most...... google it! We’re slaves to the google.
Think Grace Jones sung about that! :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:29 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:00 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:47 pm
Sorry Hallam..... :lol: Definitely not a term used in Scotland. And I still can't link not being 100% fit to ring rusty?? What does it mean? What is the ring in relation to football? Is it a boxing term crossing over into football?

It is making me think of two days of diahorrea and wiping......., ooooooo, rusty ring!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol. sorry I didn't realise you'd not heard the term before.

It means ( as I understand it ), that someone hasn't been doing their sport for a while (usually due to injury) so is out of practice or out of touch with the pace of the game that the play in !! ...ie ring rusty ...But maybe your vision of Norwood might be true I dont know :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:54 am

Even more crucial we win tonight with some big games going on, points will be dropped.

Portsmouth v Sunderland
Peterborough v Hull

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:03 am

According to the EADT we are in for some changes in team selection this evening.

Shake-em up Cookie.

ITFC 3 Lincoln 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:28 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:03 am
Shake-em up Cookie.

ITFC 3 Lincoln 1
👍

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:36 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:27 pm
I think we'll see Dobra tonight.
He played yesterday for the under 23’s. Unlikely.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:01 pm

Kellet

Mcmanus, Haystacks, Royal, Faulkner

Rocco, Nagasaki, Crabtree (AKA Big Daddy), Logan

Pallo

Norwood