Fundamental problems at this Club?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Fundamental problems at this Club?

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:14 am

1) infrastructure: there is either none , or it is dysfunctional. Either way it needs a massive overhaul.

2) Scouting network: do we even have one ?

Linked with ...

3) Recruitment : we simply do not recruit consistently , good quality players .

Items 2&3 are currently flawed. You only have to look at that lot up the road to see how it should snd can be done . We need a network that ventures into Europe . We need the correct “ mix” of players. Raw talent for development, quality players in their mid twenties, and some seasoned, experienced pros in their late 20’s very early 30’s ( to replace Skuse/Wilson/Chambers/) .
We currently don’t recruit , we have slipped back into using loanees ( often no better than our own players) .

4) Decent striker: we rarely get this right , Norwich by comparison ALWAYS get this right. A quality striker costs money . They’ve always been prepared to pay for that specific position , and it’s nearly always been the player they’ve built their team around . Examples , Ashton, Pukki, Earnshaw, Holt , Dublin, Iwan Roberts. ........ and who have we had ???

5) Academy: Were partially there. We do appear to develop good players ..... but then loan them out “for experience “. Under Sir Bobby young players were blooded (1 or 2) in a season into an established team , in the equivalent of the PL. Today, our young players are sent to Scotland, or division four level . WHY?? If they’re not good enough to cut it at division three level then they’re not good enough full stop.

We’ve flipped into setting out standards bar far, far, too low. It’s at ankle level . We “ accept” 3rd best every time . This is why we are currently where we are.

A lot of the above I’d form to funding , which stops squarely at Evans door. However our recruitment is flawed and Evans is currently paying the wages of over 40 mediocre players . There are players out there who have quality , that won’t cost a fortune . But we don’t have the infrastructure to identify and recruit them.

As major part of PC’s job includes all of the above .

The $60m questions is will Evans be on board with it ? Will this take over happen, because without it I fear PC will go the same way of Hurst, Lambert ALL of whom identified “ the problems “ at this Club but were flawed in their efforts to change things at that structural/ framework level.

Ricco

Re: Fundamental problems at this Club?

Post by Ricco » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:58 am

Perhaps it's more efficient to start with what's right at the club?!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:50 pm

Being honest if we had these things right we wouldn't be where we are

The whole club needs a major shake up, No getting away from that. On plus side the under 18's look decent

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:59 pm

Good post Hallam, but these are things we've been talking about for years. Players and managers have changed on a regular basis, but the owner remains the same. We are where we are due to poor player recruitment and lack of necessary investment. Our academy just isn't attracting the quality it used to, and ITFC in general is not as attractive for transfers and loans.

However, PC is supposedly known for motivating 'average' players. I'm still waiting for this to even begin to happen, but as many have already mentioned it's gonna take a while. Maybe the task is even harder since recent performances is showing that much of the squad is 'below-average'. We're not getting promoted this season, so don't fool yourselves if anyone believes otherwise. The remaining games will be the learning curve for Cook to figure out what players should be here next season.

For me, the only real positive is a new beginning....again! This is Ipswich Town FC after all, so until things change I'll have to lean on hope even more.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:20 pm

If Evans wants to stay here, he needs to step back and employ a proper director of football/ CEO. Full time recruitment of players should be high up the list.
Evans can’t run a football club and his business empire at the same time. He couldn’t run it properly if he did it full time.

People talk about lack of investment under Evans, but he puts in a lot of money that is wasted. Surely he can see that paying for 50 contracted footballers is wasteful, especially when so many of them are poor and can’t even play due to injury.

If Evans is serious about staying then he should find someone who can run a football club.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm

Yes, agree with what 9 is essentially saying. The club has been a stuck record for what seems like an absolute eternity.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:36 pm

Completely agree with all of it Hallam.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:51 pm

I was just thinking , a response this post got on twtd was naturally , Evans is the problem ( I don't disagree). But if his non interaction with the idea of "infrastructure changes" is down to hard cash ...then surely offloading 30 players from this reported 53 professional squad (considerably reducing Evans wages bill), would release up funds to set up a decent scouting system, would it not ?

I think recruitment has been this clubs Achilles heel for many year now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:58 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:51 pm
I was just thinking , a response this post got on twtd was naturally , Evans is the problem ( I don't disagree). But if his non interaction with the idea of "infrastructure changes" is down to hard cash ...then surely offloading 30 players from this reported 53 professional squad (considerably reducing Evans wages bill), would release up funds to set up a decent scouting system, would it not ?

Here is a fundamental problem Hallam......, for me anyway......, and I know it is boring and I keep harping on about it but it is because I am a grumpy old b*stard at heart really!

There was a pile of stuff in a cupboard and the Mrs has been saying for months, "Please move all that shyte!" (bit more polite than that)......, in amongst it all was an almost completed Panini album of 81. Ipswich was full, gold badge and everything, (Hibs in the old first division so no badge :evil: ) ....., but Chelsea were also in the second tier. No badge, no player stickers, just a crappy team photo. We laughed at Chelsea back in the day.

And tonight they knock out Atl Madrid and are in the CL quarter finals.

That's it really. Fundamental problem. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:28 pm

And a Russian billionaire...... if only eh 👍 xx

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:51 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:58 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Here is a fundamental problem Hallam......, for me anyway......, and I know it is boring and I keep harping on about it but it is because I am a grumpy old b*stard at heart really!

There was a pile of stuff in a cupboard and the Mrs has been saying for months, "Please move all that shyte!" (bit more polite than that)......, in amongst it all was an almost completed Panini album of 81. Ipswich was full, gold badge and everything, (Hibs in the old first division so no badge :evil: ) ....., but Chelsea were also in the second tier. No badge, no player stickers, just a crappy team photo. We laughed at Chelsea back in the day.

And tonight they knock out Atl Madrid and are in the CL quarter finals.

That's it really. Fundamental problem. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Got any stickers to swap Marko?

Seriously though there have been a few clubs that have dropped like a stone being thrown into a water well.. Not sure many fallen deeper than Ipswich though

Totally agree with everything been said

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:10 am

hallamblue wrote:

I think recruitment is poor here. And the business side, too. Coaching and fitness side - do our players improve when they arrive here and do they stay fit?

If we recruited the right kind of players who fit into a system, improved them and kept them fit, we’d see benefits on the pitch and we’d also be in a position to sell players at a good profit. And then it’s a case of using the profits to invest in the team and trying to build on that. Evans is throwing more and more money away on players that don’t improve us. And our strategy is to bring more players in to try and make us better, yet we struggle to offload our useless players as no-one wants them and the players are better off staying here on wages that no other club will pay. A reason why we’ve got 50 contracted players on our books. For an owner who gets criticised for not spending, he sure throws a lot of money down the drain.

If we had a decent recruitment and business model, Evans could spend, say, 3 million on a promising young player with the confidence that the player could be flogged for a lot more after a couple of years. Norwich spent 3 million on Maddison and sold him 2 years later for 20 million. I wonder the net worth of Jackson, Donacien, Nolan and Toto now after throwing millions at those players. Struggle to get a million for the lot of them.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:29 am

Problem with Evans is he doesn’t understand the game does he. He’s made so many bad decisions re managers ( on the back of advice given by 3rd parties), and been advised by the one poor managers re countless players to go and get. It’s ridiculous. Ye5 had he invested in a DOF and a decent scouting network, maybe the picture would have been so different and he’d actually not spent the vast sums he has on the shower of shyte we currently have.

I think Evans has been well meaning tbh , just bloody useless lol. His biggest flaw is wanting to be all things to all men in the business of football. Surely any successful businessman would understand the principle of key people in key positions to assist him running that business? It beggars belief that he’s a multimillionaire based on his efforts in the business of professional football.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:58 am

We have got an official DOF - Dave Bowman. I think he deals with recruitment. He’s Mick’s mate and surprisingly stayed on board when Mick left. You never hear anything about him or see him. I’m really not sure what he does.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:25 am

He's been furloughed

wilnisfan

Post by wilnisfan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:01 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:20 pm
If Evans wants to stay here, he needs to step back and employ a proper director of football/ CEO. Full time recruitment of players should be high up the list.
Evans can’t run a football club and his business empire at the same time. He couldn’t run it properly if he did it full time.

People talk about lack of investment under Evans, but he puts in a lot of money that is wasted. Surely he can see that paying for 50 contracted footballers is wasteful, especially when so many of them are poor and can’t even play due to injury.

If Evans is serious about staying then he should find someone who can run a football club.
This. Absolutely.

The failed Clegg experiment probably burnt him so hard he employed his own trusted staff from a completely different industry.

And now we have someone I’m not sure is the right fit, would be interesting to hear what Lambert has to say about him seems there may have been some friction.

I think Liz is right to point out that we have had some very bad acquisitions in past couple of years which has diluted the squad.

But then that comes from employing a manager with free rein to rip everything up.

And that comes from Evans being on the brink of having a full fans Revolt over Big Mick, who really was the only manager to make us money and consistently sign players for virtually nothing and have since gone into premiership sides.

Before that it was misjudging the value of players and letting them go for free who then go into premiership.

And before that selling players on the cheap.

All this is because the owner rubber stamps it but why is he rubber stamping when it should be a CEO with some brains and a Chairman who can assist and steady the ship.

Marcus is in a mess, but he doubles down on his mistakes with a second one and that filters down the club.

IMO we should start with employing a chairman with gravitas. Who can attract a CEO he can work with to show managers and agents that we are a well run club and shouldn’t be trifled with in the transfer market. Scouting is a product of long term investment and sadly we don’t have one and under Marcus probably well be a long time.