Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

What's our response to the Fleetwood performance?

Pompey Win
56%
Town Win
19%
Draw
25%

Total votes: 16

hallamblue

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:01 am

I think Chambers this season has been far less of an influence visually and notably verbally on the pitch. I do e we I see if he half suspects his time is now up . He’s been a good solid player for this Club for a decade and deserves the respect that goes with that loyalty . I hope he gets a testimonial tbh but wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t.

I am hoping beyond hope that this summer sees two things
1) that take over finally happen.
2) a complete ditching of this ridiculous squad of underachievers.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:28 am

Bit of a reality check here

Not long ago most were praising Chambers. What a player, what a great servant, great leader. Count how many mistakes he has made this season, bet not that many.

Any player no matter how good or how big there names are makes mistakes. He is 35 and sure he is coming to end of career but lets not put all of yesterdays result down onto him. Would consider maybe Chambers in a coaching role now possibly

I love Cook's post match interview for he was not trying to cover our flaws and yet he was not having a go at individual players. He is a players manager like Mick was but also a very much a fans manager also.

Certainly agree with some who said this massive squad need trimming. I say trimming but honestly it needs massive clear out. For me though yes still a chance of a play off position but for me i'm more watching to for any signs what can expect for next season.

First game i missed this season for bed bound feeling so damn rough. The result didn't cheer me up but Paul Cook's interview made me crack a smile

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:08 am

It’s not a case of blaming Chambers for mistakes - but more for the fact he’s been captain of a team which has a very soft underbelly for too many years. The job of a captain is meaningless if you completely exonerate the captain every time. It’s his job to perform as a player, but also motivate and drive the team forward. This team has been lacking a backbone and leadership on the pitch for a number of years.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Chambers gets a new contract and TBF he’s been consistent this year - and, once more, fit enough to play every game at 35. Fair play to him. But there’s a big part of me that wants to thank him and say goodbye. Same with Skuse. Same with Sears. We need to build afresh and get a new winning mentality. Why would we have senior players still in the building who’ve played in too many under-performing teams in what is the worst Town team in living history? A bit unfair on Chambers, but we need a fresh broom and he’s carrying too much baggage of bad memories. If we get a new captain, would it be good to have the old skipper sitting in the same dressing room? We need to put sentiments aside and start planning for a new future, instead of keep holding onto the past.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:27 am

Tricky one isn’t it. But I also really like Paul Cook. He comes across as a very astute manager, an excellent communicator and hopefully we’ll see next season a very good man manager. I think he is focused enough to do what needs to be done in the summer, and not be sentimental about it. Like you say, maybe it really is time to say thanks Chambo / Skuse but it’s time for a role change for you two at this Club. But many players ten years their junior have failed miserably to stand up and be counted IMO, and these are the players that I want gone.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:35 am

Yes Tang it is but the captain has to have capable players.. I struggle very much to see many players who honestly would say fall in as capable

Roy Keane at his best would struggle to motivate most of our players

I'm not saying anybody is blaming Chambers, but just saying as a whole this season he is one of the players I feel can hold his head up high

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:57 am

I don’t want to slag Chambers off and, yes, I think he’s been one of the better performers this season, but I fail to see what we’d really miss in a 36 year old player next season. And I do think if we release him it’s making a statement of new intent. If he’s had to carry younger players for too long then it takes its toll on him. There’s too many players in that dressing room who are too used to losing and probably don’t care what Chambers says anymore because they’ve heard it too many times, yet they still happily make a living here.

We should have a skipper who takes players with them and drives them on - not someone who carries them and apologises for their crap performances. And if he’s still here under a new skipper then I don’t think that’s healthy as it’s going to be difficult to transition back to the ranks. I’m all for a fresh start and a genuine thankyou/ goodbye to Chambers/Skuse. And that’s not got anything to do with his performance yesterday, but more to do with Cook’s assessment about our mental weakness (which we’ve had for years).

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:14 am

I don’t know about the rest of you but I’d hate to see Luke Chambers leave our football club without a huge farewell from the fans on a proper match day at Portman Road. He’s been a great servant to our Club and a brilliant leader both on and off the pitch. There’s no reason at all why he couldn’t be club captain and at the same time hand over the arm band to a new team captain appointed by Paul Cook. I believe John Terry played a similar role at Chelsea towards the end of his playing days there.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:32 am

hmmmm - this Chambers/Skuse conversation is very interesting, but I see things as follows:

For the last 7 or 8 seasons, Chambers and Skuse have been virtually ever present in a team that has slid downhill and continues to slide.
Regardless of their age, they need to go. And please not to coaching roles at the club.

There are so many of the squad who need to be offloaded - but if there is no funding to replace with fewer but more quality then the end result is going to be the same.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:46 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:32 am
hmmmm - this Chambers/Skuse conversation is very interesting, but I see things as follows:

For the last 7 or 8 seasons, Chambers and Skuse have been virtually ever present in a team that has slid downhill and continues to slide.
Regardless of their age, they need to go. And please not to coaching roles at the club.

There are so many of the squad who need to be offloaded - but if there is no funding to replace with fewer but more quality then the end result is going to be the same.
[/quote

I’ve never understood this desperation to give these guys coaching roles. Why? If we want to improve our coaching - bring in coaches who’ve had success elsewhere. It’s like Lee O’Neil who’s looking after the club for Evans, but is really a youth team coach. Why not bring in professionals who know what they’re doing instead of giving jobs to familiar faces who have to learn on the job.
It’s too cosy in this club.
If they’re keen on taking up coaching roles , then let them do it elsewhere where they can learn new techniques- like winning games. They can come back when they’ve made a success of it there. Sorry, I think we’re letting sentimentality rule too much on this.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:46 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:07 am
Great pass by Edwards and an even better run and finish by Norwood. We need Norwood in the side - he might miss a few, but at least he’s getting into positions to get chances that he can miss. Can’t say that about the rest.
100%

From what I’ve witnessed since Roy Keane took over until now, by far the best brain inside a strikers head. The YouTube clips are there to see.