Players to keep, players to offload?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Players to keep, players to offload?

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:44 am

Keep:

Przybek
KVY
Wilson
Woolfie
Ndaba
Kenlock
Nydam
Downes
Lankester
Bishop
Dozzell
Dobra
Nolan
Norwood
Jackson
Baggott
McGavin

Offload:

Holy
Wright
Cornell
Toto
Ward
Edwards
El Mizoumi
Donacian
Judge
Huws
Sears
Hawkins
Folami
Drinan
Cotter

Re deploy / coaching
Chambers
Skuse

New recruit ( position) one in each area of the team ( the spine)

GK
CB
LB
RB
MF
Striker

rossi

Re: Players to keep, players to offload?

Post by rossi » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:15 am

Keep:

Przybek
KVY
Toto
Woolfie
Ndaba
Kenlock
Nydam
Downes
Dozzell
Norwood
Baggott
McGavin

Offload:

Holy
Wilson
Wright
Cornell
Ward
Edwards
El Mizoumi
Donacian
Lankester
Bishop
Judge
Dobra
Nolan
Huws
Sears
Hawkins
Folami
Drinan
Cotter
Jackson
Chambers
Skuse

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:22 am

TBH if any or all of them went I would not shed a tear for any of them at the moment.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:42 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:44 am
Keep:

Przybek
KVY
Wilson
Woolfie
Ndaba
Kenlock
Nydam
Downes
Lankester
Bishop
Dozzell
Dobra
Nolan
Norwood
Jackson
Baggott
McGavin

Offload:

Holy
Wright
Cornell
Toto
Ward
Edwards
El Mizoumi
Donacian
Judge
Huws
Sears
Hawkins
Folami
Drinan
Cotter

Re deploy / coaching
Chambers
Skuse

New recruit ( position) one in each area of the team ( the spine)

GK
CB
LB
RB
MF
Striker
Agree with most of that but I would keep.

Donacian doing ok for Fleetwood and back up for KVY.
El Mizoumi worth another season.
Toto worth another season.

I'm not sure about keeping Nydam I can't remember him doing much when fit.
And although McGavin did well for Town I see has only made one start for Ayr which is surprising, Ndaba has 9 starts I believe.

Some will still be contracted and difficult to move on and I'm assuming this is if we don't get promoted otherwise more would need to move on IMO ⚽

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:16 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:15 am
Keep:

Przybek
KVY
Toto
Woolfie
Ndaba
Kenlock
Nydam
Downes
Dozzell
Norwood
Baggott
McGavin

Offload:

Holy
Wilson
Wright
Cornell
Ward
Edwards
El Mizoumi
Donacian
Lankester
Bishop
Judge
Dobra
Nolan
Huws
Sears
Hawkins
Folami
Drinan
Cotter
Jackson
Chambers
Skuse
The grim reaper has spoken :wink: :lol: :lol:

In all fairness, that is possibly somewhere along the lines of where this club needs to be aiming, so totally agree with you on many of those. Any gardener will tell you, that with many plants, cutting back hard will encourage better more vigorous growth, I believe this could work for us in the long run.

A lot depends on how much of a tight-knit squad PC will be aiming for. If there is room for some of the low-earning youngsters who still have a year or so on their contract, and if PC can get an improvement out of them, then I would hold onto them (unless suitable bids came in for them, which is unlikely in most cases).

Of the rest of the cull list, Chambers would be ok as a back up for another season possibly, especially at League 1 level (we'll have to agree to disagree on that one I know :lol: ). Bishop, while injury prone, can offer something too when fit I feel. Not sure what his contract situation is, but if he is out of contract at the end of this season, I'd offer him a one-year extension.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:17 pm

McGavin only made one start for Ayr because he was quite incredibly Shyte for the 30 minutes he got. Seemed to run away from any decent position he found himself in........ like he was scared to receive the ball. Couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Was even worse than pizza Joe Tortolano from the 80s at Hibs.
Ayr boss, Hopkin screaming “Brett” for most of the time.
But maybe a freezing cold Friday night @ Somerset Park isn’t for Brett.
Maybe he’ll fair better @ Portman Road. Definitely only a maybe though. Wouldn’t bet on it at all.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:33 pm

I can’t believe we have so many players out of contract at the end of the season.

Ipswich Town contracts expiring in 2021

Loans ending: McGuinness, Bennetts, Matheson, Harrop, Thomas, Parrott

Contracts with options: Chambers, Skuse, Ward, Donacien, Judge, Wilson, Sears, Jackson, Bishop, Nsiala, Nydam, El Mizouni, Przybek, Folami, Morris, Clements, Gibbs, Andoh, Z Brown, K Brown, Hughes

Contracts without options: Edwards, Wright

Unclear if contract contains option: Huws, Drinan, Cotter

I bet Paul Cook can’t believe his luck because this creates a real opportunity to put together his own group of players in record time. For most new managers this takes at least a couple of seasons to achieve.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:51 pm

At the moment we are like a huge jig saw puzzle that Cookie has inherited🤔 and he's trying to work out who fits where best in a team of misfits which is virtually impossible.

:roll: So he's got to make that Jig Saw a bloody site smaller so the parts are easier to find and fit, at the moment its all trial and error, but he's sorting the ones he wants to keep, not what we the fans want and don't want, he only plays the loans as a last resort, as they will be leaving for their respective clubs come the end of season, on that note, of all the loans we've got the only one I think Cookie might bid for is Matheson, he's young and would be good standby for KVY, and he does like to bomb forward and can recover quicker than Chambers (FACT).

So realistically Paul has inherited a massive headache selection wise, so we must have absolute patience with him at this part of the season.
I have no realisms of us reaching the playoffs now, as I think that would be detrimental to the cookie rebuilding programme.
So lets wait until the end of the season and summer break, and see what materialises squad wise numbers, I would expect certainly no more than 20 max as a working team squad, and that includes the under 23's coming through, with the remainder being let go to find other clubs.

Far better to have the clear out now, than in dribs and drabs, and we might just be able to sell a few as well, but by getting the wage bill to a respectable level, will leave room for one or two new players like a new Keeper(a must), a new CB, I would be very interested to know who Cookie has in line as Captain, as Chambers is past his sell by date.

So 21/22 Season is a New beginnings and hopefully a new OWNER, now that would be class.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:01 pm

I think we have to be careful wishing for a complete overhaul. Hurst attempted it, and that was probably the final nail in the coffin for ITFC. I think it would be interesting to see who Cook thinks has potential, and who he thinks are non-trainable. After comments Cook has already made about Chambers and Skuse, I'm sure they will both be offered a year contract at least. I know many of us would love to see a complete clear out, but in reality I just don't see that happening.

First and foremost, we're not scoring enough goals. I think that will be a priority for Cook, and in my opinion the only striker we have who has proved he can score regularly is Norwood.

It's no secret our midfield is light-weight. I'm sure Cook will be thinking we need more muscle in the midfield. I think if there's any clear out at all, it will be most evident in the midfield. One would assume; Dozzell, Downes and Bishop will remain...unless big offers come in.

The defense is a difficult one. We've proven we can go on runs with clean sheets, and then capitulate in games we should have won. I think you always need a few experienced defenders on the books, so I'm sure Cook will be aware of that. Sometimes a goal keeper change can benefit a defensive line.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:42 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:01 pm
I think we have to be careful wishing for a complete overhaul. Hurst attempted it, and that was probably the final nail in the coffin for ITFC. I think it would be interesting to see who Cook thinks has potential, and who he thinks are non-trainable. After comments Cook has already made about Chambers and Skuse, I'm sure they will both be offered a year contract at least. I know many of us would love to see a complete clear out, but in reality I just don't see that happening.

First and foremost, we're not scoring enough goals. I think that will be a priority for Cook, and in my opinion the only striker we have who has proved he can score regularly is Norwood.

It's no secret our midfield is light-weight. I'm sure Cook will be thinking we need more muscle in the midfield. I think if there's any clear out at all, it will be most evident in the midfield. One would assume; Dozzell, Downes and Bishop will remain...unless big offers come in.

The defense is a difficult one. We've proven we can go on runs with clean sheets, and then capitulate in games we should have won. I think you always need a few experienced defenders on the books, so I'm sure Cook will be aware of that. Sometimes a goal keeper change can benefit a defensive line.
Light weight in numbers ??? we have 22 bloody midfielders for heavens sake, if we cant get 4 from that then we have a big problem, or do mean lightweight as in a wimp??? :lol: :lol: A complete clear out would be very detrimental to Cookies plans, just trim the squad to 20 max and go from there.
And then get another striker who will complement Norwood and another keeper that commands his area and can kick straight.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:55 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:01 pm

I think this is a different scenario from the Hurst era. Hurst sold players of quality and replaced them with sub-standard players. And he tried to do it in the Championship.... a few steps too far for Hurst. Cook’s far more experienced and seems to know what he wants in his team. Hurst made the mistake of going in hard on the remaining senior players and lost him the dressing room - but there’s hardly any of those players left. Only Chambers, Skuse and Sears. And they’re on their last legs. And the dressing room is now at a stage where it needs a big reboot. New strong characters to come in and change the mentality. I’m not sure what we’d lose if got rid of too many senior players.
Cook’s quite open about what he wants. I think he’ll find out soon who fits and who doesn’t.
Jackson, for example. If he can’t fit into a 4-2-3-1, then why should he be here. We should have flogged him last summer for decent cash and tried to bring in a better version of Hawkins. Cook wants full backs who bomb up the wing - so why keep Donacien who can’t do that? Another one we should have sold last summer as he didn’t fit.
This is the problem with our bloated squad. Too many decent enough players who don’t quite fit the jigsaw puzzle. I mean, we have so many players who can play at number 10 - which is just one position - but we can’t find one tough central midfielder when Downes is injured.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:47 am

[/quote]
Light weight in numbers ??? we have 22 bloody midfielders for heavens sake, if we cant get 4 from that then we have a big problem, or do mean lightweight as in a wimp??? :lol: :lol: A complete clear out would be very detrimental to Cookies plans, just trim the squad to 20 max and go from there.
And then get another striker who will complement Norwood and another keeper that commands his area and can kick straight.
[/quote]

Light-weight as in ‘wimpy’ of course.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:10 am

If pushed I'd keep
Downes
Dozzell
Bishop
Toto
Lankester
Ndaba
Baggott
Dobra
Norwood
KVY
El Mizouni

Can't say I really give a sh*te about anyone else, for differing reasons.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:38 pm

Holy
Cornell
Donacien
Chambers
Toto
Dozzell
Judge
Ward
Skuse
Cotter
Huws
Sears.

Get rid of the above ASAP.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:44 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:38 pm
Holy
Cornell
Donacien
Chambers
Toto
Dozzell
Judge
Ward
Skuse
Cotter
Huws
Sears.

Get rid of the above ASAP.
On the above, Tiny....... definitely 100% (more if percentages allowed) Tomas Holy........, OUT. Go away and help people reach stuff on high Tesco shelves.

Based on past 5 games, keep Aristote Nsiala. No other defender has played better than him, regardless of a couple of iffy moments v Pots-Smith.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:44 pm

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:56 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:44 pm
The clear oit has started....

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2021/march/ ... s-ipswich/
Barry news, Azz!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:06 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:

No .. No... anyone but Barry! I’m surprised we didn’t wrap up his contract a couple of years ago. What a strange career he’s had and he’ll always be linked with Mick’s departure.

There were rumours we’d wrap up Huws’ contract now and send back a loanee or two. It might happen. I think Cook’s keen to work with lesser players.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:18 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:

Lol you beat me to it 👍

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:21 pm

Barry who? :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:58 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:06 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:

No .. No... anyone but Barry! I’m surprised we didn’t wrap up his contract a couple of years ago. What a strange career he’s had and he’ll always be linked with Mick’s departure.

There were rumours we’d wrap up Huws’ contract now and send back a loanee or two. It might happen. I think Cook’s keen to work with lesser players.
Clearing out the deadwood tang . Love it that he’s starting early . 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:59 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:21 pm
Barry who? :lol:
Could have had a really good career here, but his attitude was perhaps bigger than his potential .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:39 pm

Don’t know if this has already been posted and apologies if it has....... but this is good. Everyone should be liking Cookie more with every passing day. He’ll become the CookieMonster to a lot of players who’ve been sponging from the club in recent months / years.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ts-7847530

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:08 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:39 pm
Don’t know if this has already been posted and apologies if it has....... but this is good. Everyone should be liking Cookie more with every passing day. He’ll become the CookieMonster to a lot of players who’ve been sponging from the club in recent months / years.

That's a great read and this guy say's everything I want to hear from a manager, even if the next Eleven games aren't great I am convinced he will be fab for us and next season will be one to really enjoy.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:08 pm
marko69 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:39 pm

That's a great read and this guy say's everything I want to hear from a manager, even if the next Eleven games aren't great I am convinced he will be fab for us and next season will be one to really enjoy.

Off the top of my head I think he’s our best manager appointment since Joe Royle.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:16 pm

I agree its just a matter of Evans backing him by letting him get the players in that he needs, I think in the long run it would be better if we didnt go up this season so Cook would have time to build a strong side that could compete in the Championship the season after.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:00 am

One thing for sure the current squad wouldn’t survive in the Championship even with a few tweaks.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:35 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:00 am
One thing for sure the current squad wouldn’t survive in the Championship even with a few tweaks.
I reckon with the influence of Cook, (after seeing how he lifted Sligo; all levels whereby opposition is relative to each other) , the core of Rossi’s picks could survive the Championship.

Certainly this group:

KVY
Toto
Woolfie
Ndaba
Kenlock
Downes
Dozzell
Norwood

Few decent additions and who knows. Just trying to keep away from “complete clear out” talks.
I’d be extremely surprised if Cookie thinks the decks need cleared.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:48 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:35 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:00 am
I reckon with the influence of Cook, (after seeing how he lifted Sligo; all levels whereby opposition is relative to each other) , the core of Rossi’s picks could survive the Championship.

Certainly this group:

KVY
Toto
Woolfie
Ndaba
Kenlock
Downes
Dozzell
Norwood

Few decent additions and who knows. Just trying to keep away from “complete clear out” talks.
I’d be extremely surprised if Cookie thinks the decks need cleared.
I would add Nolan to your list, Marko. I have always quite rated him & have read somewhere that PC tried to sign him in the past.

I wonder how many e.g. Huws know their time is up.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:47 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:48 pm
I wonder how many e.g. Huws know their time is up.
That is an excellent point. There must be more than just Cotter who know their time is up. And are the "time is up" players having anything to do with the Wigan game? Or any of the games that are still to be played?

I'd like to think that even though Cook is on record as saying he likes players "Knowing their future", he wouldn't be daft enough to let too many know they're out of his plans before needing them to perform first. Unless of course he is psychologically binning the 20/21 season and starting proper for 21/22.