Wigan Athletic vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Surely a Win?

Wigan Win
25%
Town Win
63%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 16

Frosty
Forum Owner

Wigan Athletic vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:15 pm

ImageWigan Athletic v Ipswich Town Image

Saturday 27th March 2021 – 15:00

DW Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

It Start's Now - No More Excuses...............

If we are to somehow force our way into the end of season play off scene and salvage something from this bitterly disappointing season then it has to start NOW !!! Games keep on ticking by and yet it's the same old thing after most games, a feeling of disappointment and what if's, I think it is fair to say games at Fleetwood, Gillingham & Portsmouth were always going to be tricky for us and I for One didn't really expect much from them, however it is a different feeling now as we go into the final Eleven games of the season against the likes this weeks opponents Wigan Athletic, Bristol Rovers, Rochdale, MK Dons, Northampton Town, Wimbledon (Twice), Shrewsbury Town and Swindon Town, while no game is easy I don't accept that an Ipswich Town team in half decent form cannot beat all of these sides and that would be Nine wins, of course it is a tall order and there will be the odd slip up or Two but the opportunity is there to get the Seventy Five points needed to squeeze ourselves into the top Six.

Paul Cook really does have a big job on his hands but he also has a golden opportunity to make himself a hero should the impossible happen and I genuinely see no reason why we can't give it a good go, he will have had a bit of time on the training ground at last to get his influence on the squad with some of his ideas hopefully seeing improvement in certain areas, particularly going forward, creating chances and scoring more, if he can do that our chances increase massively.

Last weekends game at Portsmouth really was a kick in the teeth, totally in control for virtually the whole half and yet we still go in level after Portsmouth had offered virtually nothing as an attacking force, James Norwood had put Town ahead with a finish of some aplomb before One or Two other openings were squandered by Town and as usual it comes back to haunt us big time as Pompey find an equaliser just before half time and from that point I think most of us expected what was to follow. It was a massive opportunity missed and it would have been a massive Three points which in truth were hardly expected but alas it was not to be.

It was good to see Kane Vincent-Young make his long awaited return and if he could only stay fit now he would be a massive asset in the run in to the finishing line, sadly the same cannot be said for our main man Flynn Downes who's season looks like it could well be at an end, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Flynn has in fact played his last game for the club with some expected interest in the Midfielder likely to be coming soon when the season is at an end.

So as we enter the final Few games Town find themselves in Tenth place but only Two points off Sixth, that is certainly not as bad as it may sound and is well retrievable as long as we do not have any more silly slip up's. Our opponents Wigan are currently Third bottom are most definitely not a lost cause as things have closed up at the bottom in recent weeks and they will know a victory for them could well have them above that dreaded dotted line Saturday evening so if any of us think this is a case of just turning up we need to think again, I am sure Paul Cook would not allow that to happen anyway. I think Town are good enough to return to Suffolk with the win and I think we will, that in itself could well see us very close to the top spots again and with a home game against Rochdale to follow it would give us the chance to build up a head of steam, it is there for us, it has to start now, let's not blow it. Town win......COYB'S

The Opposition – Wigan Athletic

Founded in 1932, the club plays at the DW Stadium since 1999, sharing the stadium with rugby league club Wigan Warriors. They previously played at Springfield Park for 67 years.

Wigan Athletic played in the lower Leagues until 2nd June 1978 when they were finally elected to the Football League after 34 attempts and near misses over the preceeding 46 years, including one controversial but headline-making application in 1972 to join the Scottish League Second Division.

They gained their first Football League promotion under the management of former Liverpool player Larry Lloyd in 1981–82, when a points tally of 91 saw them join the former Division Three for the first time, beginning a 10-year spell in English football's third tier, until they were relegated for the first time in the club's League history in 1992–93.

Wigan struggled in the fourth tier of English Football, finishing well down the table and average attendences fell to 1,845 by 1995.

Local entrepreneur Dave Whelan acquired the club in 1995, providing funds to move into the JJB Stadium, now named the DW Stadium in his honour.

Through Whelan's business connections in Spain he attracted three Spaniards to the club – Roberto Martínez, Isidro Diaz, and Jesus Seba – who became known as 'The Three Amigos'.

Whelan appointed John Deehan as manager during the 1995–96 season. Deehan took the Latics within two points of a play-off place in his first season; and the following year Wigan Athletic became Division Three champions.

In the summer of 2001, highly regarded young manager Paul Jewell took over as manager. His first season in charge saw mixed results, but Jewell's second season in charge was far more successful. Wigan Athletic went on a run to the quarter finals of the League Cup, and won the Division Two championship, securing promotion to the second tier of the English Football League for the first time in their history.

After losing their first ever game in Division One, Wigan Athletic confounded expectations to go unbeaten for the next 17 games and and finish seventh in Division One.

The following season in the last fixture at home the Latics won promotion to the top division of the English football for the first time in their 73-year history by finishing second in the League.

The club's first ever Premier League season (2005-06) saw a 10th place, which remains the club's highest ever league placing.

Over the next four seasons Wigan struggled for Premier survival with a number of managers taking the helm over this period.

Wigan appointed Roberto Martínez, then manager of Swansea City, as manager prior to the 2009–10 Premier League season.

At the beginning of the 2010–11 season, Wigan fell to the bottom of the league by the end of February. However, despite remaining in the bottom three for the majority of the season, Wigan managed to retain their Premier League status on the last day of the season.

In the 2011-12 season Wigan reached the FA Cup Final for the first time in their history and went on to beat Manchester City 1–0, with a goal in injury time, earning a place in the following seasons Europa League. Unfortunately for Wigan this season also ended their eight year spell in the Premier League and they became the first team to be relegated and win the FA Cup in the same season.

On 14 June 2013, Dave Whelan revealed that a deal had been agreed with Owen Coyle to become the new manager of Wigan Athletic replacing outgoing manager Roberto Martinez who left for Everton. Coyle left the club by mutual agreement on 2 December 2013 having won seven games out of twenty-three. Uwe Rosler replaced him on 7 December.

On 9 March 2014 Wigan beat Manchester City in the 6th Round of the FA Cup to reach the semi-final at Wembley for the second successive year, where they played Arsenal, and lost on penalties after normal time and extra time resulted in a 1–1 draw. After finishing 5th in the Championship, Wigan lost their Championship play-off semi-final to Queens Park Rangers.

Rösler was sacked in November 2014 with the club in the relegation places, and was replaced by Malky Mackay. Whelan resigned as chairman on 3 March 2015, remaining as owner but handing over the chairmanship to his grandson David Sharpe. The following month, with Wigan in danger of relegation to League One, Mackay was sacked and replaced by former Wigan captain Gary Caldwell, yet the team ended the season with relegation.

Over the coming summer the club underwent a transformation with the majority of the playing staff that had been relegated leaving and a raft of new signings arriving.

The club soon found themselves challenging for promotion in the play-off places by mid-November. Following an impressive run of form in the second half of the season where the side lost only once in 23 matches the club effectively sealed promotion at the first attempt.

In October 2016, following a poor start to the season, Caldwell was sacked as manager and replaced by Manchester United coach Warren Joyce. Results did not improve under Joyce, who was sacked in March 2017. Wigan were subsequently relegated back to League One in April and interim manager Graham Barrow left, ending a 15-year association with the club.

Paul Cook, who had just won League Two with Portsmouth, was appointed Wigan manager in June 2017.

The 2017/18 season was a good one for Wigan, the club finished 1st in League One and were promoted to the Championship. They reached the FA Cup quarterfinals after beating Premier League teams, Bournemouth, West Ham United and Premier League champions Manchester City. At the end of the season it was announced that the Whelan family had agreed a deal to sell the club, stadium and training facilities to the Hong Kong based International Entertainment Corporation in a £22m deal.

In the 2018–19 season, Wigan finished 18th in the Championship with 52 points, well clear of the relegation zone.

On 4 June 2020, IEC sold the majority of Wigan Athletic shareholdings to Hong Kong-based Next Leader Fund; the sale was formally ratified and approved by the shareholders of IEC, the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and the EFL. On 1 July 2020, the club - standing 14th in the Championship, eight points clear of relegation, in a season delayed due the COVID-19 pandemic - announced it had gone into administration as Next Leader Fund had refused to invest promised money.

On 4 July, Wigan, previously unbeaten in nine games, lost 3–0 at Brentford. Three days later, on 7 July, 75, around half, of the club's non-playing staff were made redundant by the administrators.

Meanwhile, on 7 July 2020 the club had appealed against the 12-point deduction imposed by the EFL for entering administration. On 14 July, Wigan recorded their biggest League victory, beating Hull City 8–0. This, combined with other results, meant Wigan would not finish in the relegation places, so the 12-point deduction would be applied at the end of the current season. Wigan's appeal against the points deduction, heard on 31 July, was set to cost the club between £400,000 and £500,000. Wigan drew 1–1 against Fulham in their final game of the season; the 12-point deduction pushed Wigan into the bottom three, meaning the club would play in League One if its appeal was unsuccessful. On 4 August, the club's relegation was confirmed and, following the resignation of manager Paul Cook, Leam Richardson was appointed caretaker manager.

On 30 September 2020, the administrators said they had reached an agreement with an unnamed bidder from Spain to purchase the club, and were working on paperwork to gain EFL approval. In early November, former Wigan manager Roberto Martinez was reported to assisting with the Spanish bid, but the prospective new owners would not be identified until the takeover is completed and EFL-approved. On 13 November 2020, after three wins in 15 Wigan games, manager Sheridan left to join Swindon Town as their new manager. On 20 November 2020, additional time was granted to the prospective new owners to complete their purchase of the club. In early December 2020, with the club bottom of League One, it emerged that a member of the Spanish consortium aiming to buy the club had a disqualifying condition, so Wigan's administrators had to make a fresh application to the Football League on behalf of Felipe Moreno, owner of Spanish LaLiga 2 side Leganés. However, on 5 January 2021, the Moreno take-over bid fell through; administrators were "starting to talk to other bidders.

The Manager – Leam Richardson

Wigan Athletic Last 5 Matches - Currently in 21st place with 34 points

2 Mar Wigan Athletic 0 - 1 Charlton

6 Mar Wigan Athletic 3 - 0 Milton Keynes

9 Mar Plymouth 0 - 2 Wigan Athletic

16 Mar AFC Wimbledon 1 - 1 Wigan Athletic

20 Mar Accrington 3 - 1 Wigan Athletic

Ipswich Last 5 Matches - Currently in 9th place with 54points

06 Mar Gillingham 3-1 Ipswich Town

09 Mar Ipswich Town 1-1 Lincoln City

13 Mar Ipswich Town 1-0 Plymouth Argyle

16 Mar Fleetwood Town 2-0 Ipswich Town

20 Mar Portsmouth 2-1 Ipswich Town

Match Referee – James Bell

WIGAN ATHLETIC 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

JOHN DEERE

Re: Wigan Athletic vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JOHN DEERE » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:03 pm

A must win. We will win. This will really kick-start our promotion/ playoffs push. Believe.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:12 am

Yep, very matter of fact preview and to the point. And excellent point in the last paragraph, (which I too firmly believe).... Cook won’t tolerate them thinking they just need to turn up. He’ll get that ideology out of any player with that arrogance. Probably why Robbie Neilson is getting an absolute bollocking here in Edinburgh. Arrogant players thinking they can just turn up.
After watching the video of Cook new forum guy posted, (the Sligo video) ..... Cookie really isn’t going to take any sh*t and can only applaud that immensely.

Hate predicting because I’m absolute crap at it...... I’ll just say, will be surprised if Wigan win. Draw or ITFC win will happen in my opinion.
COYB’s. 👏👏👏👏🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘

Leam caption:

Leam: “HEY, it’s ok, kick it up to their 22, we’ll win the line out.”
Assistant: “Err, Leam. This is football. Not rugby.”
Leam: “Eh? But it’s Wigan? We play rugby? Or am I gravely mistaken?”
Assistant: 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:05 pm

I think we will absolutely massacre these guys and boost our goal difference!

Town 1 Wigan 0

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:40 pm

How satisfying would it be if it was a 4-0 away win? It’d be superb.

These players need to step up and buy into Cooks ideology starting this weekend.

And just to say, if anyone is wondering where all the positivity is coming from...... if any of you do have a spare 43 minutes...... watch the Sligo interview. It is uplifting. And I love how he gets the “financial backing” part in at 10 minutes in.

Might even wear the “Thank you, NHS” top this Saturday. 👍👍👍
COYBs

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:21 pm

I'm sure Paul Cook is not the first manager we have had to realize that we don't create enough and we don't score enough.

Let's face it, we've been like this for a few seasons now - past managers have failed to motivate the players to create and score more and I don't see how anybody can expect PC to change this with a full week of training. Let's be honest, I don't think anybody could change things with THIS SQUAD with a full year of training.

So I'm not expecting any sort of turnaround before a mass clear-out of the crap we have.

Wigan 1 - Ipswich 0

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:31 pm

To be honest..... if Cook CAN’T do anything with this group, (the better part of the group) .... then I suppose Lambert would need to be given the benefit of the doubt.

I put the team’s chronic inability down to Lambert being depressing as hell!
But if they’re continuing to be Shyte under Cook, then 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️...... yep, agreed Rossi.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:28 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:59 pm
0 - 2 Ipswich with a Norwood brace.
he's not injured again, is he? :shock:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:40 pm

:lol: :lol:

I’ve gone for a win .... blind hope really . But not sure other than Norwood, who’s likely to score . And I think we’ll need more than one goal to win this .

Hoping for a much more up tempo , high pressing game from Town again. The Key will be how we react to a goal against us .......

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:29 pm

I go online looking for an ITFC injury report, and the only articles I find are Mick McCarthy talking about how his Ipswich exit may have affected his career!!!

So having no idea who is fit and who isn't fit, I really don't have a clue what the outcome of the match will be. However, judging by recent Ipswich performances I'm starting to think we don't have a win in us...injuries or not. Please prove me wrong and WIN for a change!

Wigan 1 v 1 ITFC :roll:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:26 am

I’m going for a 2-0 win .... based on maybe we can put together a decent 50-60 minutes together...sneak a couple of goals ....and manage to hang on. Can’t say I’m that confident. Probably a draw would be more likely, but I’ll stick with a win.

BTW ... what’s happened to AndyM? Not seen him for a couple of weeks and missing his negativity. Has he taken umbrage?

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:27 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:26 am
I’m going for a 2-0 win .... based on maybe we can put together a decent 50-60 minutes together...sneak a couple of goals ....and manage to hang on. Can’t say I’m that confident. Probably a draw would be more likely, but I’ll stick with a win.

BTW ... what’s happened to AndyM? Not seen him for a couple of weeks and missing his negativity. Has he taken umbrage?
I hope he has not taken offence at anything here.

I do not see him as negative at all. He has strong views but his opinions are usually backed up by reasoned argument. I may not always agree with him but I respect his positions. He is one of the more genuinely thought provoking posters here.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:05 pm

I think AndyM said he’d be quiet after something a couple weeks back. But he’s done that on numerous occasions so he’ll be back. Hopefully. Because I miss his chat as well.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:07 pm

Chambers at centre half oh dear. Judge and Sears also start. We are doomed. Kvy is back.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:11 pm

Can only be Freddie performing the classic Tortolano ——->> fkn AWESOME in training and “WTF 🤷‍♂️“ on game day.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:12 pm

KVY starting is a worry no under 23 matches played I just hope he states fit, and once again no Kenlock in the 18 is he injured ?, I'm not liking the team selection today.😬

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:20 pm

Down to Ten men before kick off, that has to be a first

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:20 pm
Down to Ten men before kick off, that has to be a first
Hatrick for Frank! :D 👍

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:33 pm

Nors & sears to start,good to see Dobra on the bench ,

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:38 pm

Purchased. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Why ???

Thumping win for the Tractor Boys.

COYB’s

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:01 pm

Not liking this line up

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:05 pm

terrible terrible pass ftrom the crap Judge

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:18 pm

Edwards started really poorly today

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:19 pm

Two hopeless “hit it and hope” piece of sh*t teams. Why did I f**king bother.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:23 pm

Toto been decent again

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:25 pm

Thus far, Norwood really impressing me, KVY and Toto doing OK, Judge and Edwards crap

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:30 pm

Yep agree, Bishop not done loads but tracked back and won crucial interception a couple of times

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:31 pm

Great block by Toto

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:31 pm

yes it was a really good bit of covering by Bishop

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:37 pm

Defensively OK. Midfield very poor again. Nors getting nothing to feed on. If I didn't know It would be hard to say which team was in danger of relegation.