Where in the league table will Town finish?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Where in the league table will Town finish?

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:22 pm

If you look at the current League One table we could end the season in any position between 5th & 15th.

Where do you think we’ll finish the season ?

For starters I’m going to be optimistic, I think we’ll be in the range 6th-8th and if Paul Cook can get them playing like they did in the first half on Saturday and start believing in themselves I think we could just spring a surprise and take that 6th slot.

I don’t think we’d go any further but it would make for an interesting summer with many changes.

JohnnyB

Re: Where in the league table will Town finish?

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:00 pm

20 points from last 11 games

Finish 5th or 6th

Lose to Sunderland or Charlton in play offs

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:25 pm

well, we keep banging on about how e're just off the play-offs, but there's a couple of teams below us who can overtake us with their games in hand.

Realistically - 10th

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:30 pm

6th ..... there, I’ve said it !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:07 pm

Well going by our remaining fixtures I have us finishing in 5th place.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:05 pm

I'm confident we'll finish in the top six. Possibly 4th. As of now, we have no chance of coming through the playoffs because we are just too inconsistent.

However, a few more weeks of Cook's coaching, and managerial input, and who knows what might happen.

If it doesn't happen this year, I think we will go up as champions next year.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:30 pm

Based on what has been witnessed....., if Ipswich Town get to the Championship at the end of this season, then Paul Cook needs to be in the same conversation as Sir Bobby Robson. Because as of right now, there ain't nae danger of promotion.
Play-offs a possibility though, for sure.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:10 pm

On TWTD they provided an accumulator for this issue, filled it in over the weekend but didn't show the eventual projected finish. Guess you had to be logged in to view it. Took a moment to see again the teams remaining fixtures ahead and pity is there's a number of what seems easy opposition and substantial points to be had but f**king things up is something of a forte around here. With a different group of players and had Cook or someone else been installed long before Lambert took flight we could ideally be right on course for at least an automatic promotion.

Shame really as the opportunity really is there to get out of this league while points and time remain but such is the often disarray of the team you can't see us feasibly being in the requisite positions when all games have expired. If the team finishes 8th it would have done well but think around 10th position is more realistic of what you can hope to garner taking into effect the consistent, or lack of, team performance.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:18 pm

saint jude wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:10 pm
....but such is the often disarray of the team you can't see us feasibly being in the requisite positions when all games have expired.
Performs Heimlich Manoeuvre on Saint.

“Come on........ up ye come....... COME ON, thesaurus ..... up....... up......... UP!”

:lol: JOKING!

Or just a bit of jocularity!

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:25 pm

I will put my neck on the line and say 5th, maybe even 4th. I think Sunderland and Peterbrough in the top 2

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:05 pm

I think we'll be lucky to finish top 10 to be honest. No games are easy games for ITFC at the moment, and Cook has a monumental task to change confidence levels.

Keeping and eye on results tonight...we'll probably be lower in the league by morning. :roll:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:27 pm

Oxford & Blackpool have currently dumped us down to 11th after only a few minutes of play. I’ll be surprised tho if Posh don’t quickly get back level.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:57 am

Here’s a sobering look at the task in hand

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ns-7842724

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:08 am

I will say 8th. Blackpool had a good result last night and are now right in the mix for a top 6 finish.
As somebody else has already said if PC manages to get our lot in the playoffs then he will have done well.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 am

Blackpool of all sides. They’re the one side that made us look Top Two.

This could go on like this for weeks. Going up and down week by week. Could be with 3 games to go and we’re in 11th place we could still have a reasonable sniff.

Our goal difference could be a problem. That’s essentially a point less and I can’t see us improving greatly on that.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:55 pm

Ipswich down to 11th.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:17 pm

Probably 15th finish as someone pointed out we aint got a win in us :roll:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:28 pm

Lincoln are supposedly the dogs bollox and nailed on for the play offs at least and yet if we win our Two games in hand we'd be just Two points behind them, bizarre.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:21 am

They got beaten by Oxford last night too. Don’t think they’re on a very good run atm.

Problem is , nor are Town and the games are once again for the season , running out 🤷‍♀️

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:16 pm

Today’s result at Wigan gives us a fair indication as to how we’re likely to fair against lowly opposition between now and the season end. To be honest I’m not feeling any confidence whatsoever and 10th is probably far more likely than 6th.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:18 pm

11th if we are lucky

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:55 pm

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:05 pm
I'm confident we'll finish in the top six. Possibly 4th. As of now, we have no chance of coming through the playoffs because we are just too inconsistent.

However, a few more weeks of Cook's coaching, and managerial input, and who knows what might happen.

Out of interest, John, on what basis do you make that assumption?

None of us know what sort of squad we will have next season, nor do we know if any other team will build a wonder squad.

I'm sorry, but that sort of comment is pure nonsense.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:06 am

We'll be Champions alright, of underachievement and lost opportunity.

Until the Evans debacle is resolved it's hard to feasibly plan ahead. A number of players we got are surplus here and you can envisage a number of loan deals coming in as the owner hardly spends on the team. Cook has got a substantial task ahead here and then some.

Say for one moment the team doesn't seem a promotion this season, which is highly likely in all truth, it's going to take considerable change in the summer at least in terms of playing personnel if you want to imagine the team finishing top. We're so far off it right now it's hard to put into context.
(Although) You got to admire those who retain the patience throughout.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:21 am

We should be able to scrape into 5th or 6th but we need to find some spark somewhere in MF because at the moment there is none. Defence are doing ok but MF is short of ideas and confidence at the moment. We need to get two streaky wins in the next two IMO. If we fail to get 6 points from the next 2 I think my prediction will be overoptimistic.

I also don't like the way we are trying to get the ball forward bypassing the MF. It was better playing out from the back a la PL in my opinion, at least against the poorer sides, because this can stretch the play a bit more and creates space which might allow us to hurt the poorer sides.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:18 pm

I can't quite work out what people are on about at times. Midfield short of ideas? Of course they're short of feckin ideas. The ball has been sailing over their heads in the hope that by some miracle it'll land on a plate.... (like a steak bake).... for James Norwood. Jaysus H. First half yesterday was the worst I have personally ever witnessed from Town. Even worse than the Gillingham game which I thought was impossible.

BUT.... granted...... switched off at around 70th minute because couldn't watch anymore. Decided a couple of chapters of Leo Tolstoy would be more exciting. Which it was.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:03 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:55 pm
JOHN DEERE wrote:

None of us know what sort of squad we will have next season, nor do we know if any other team will build a wonder squad.

Hi Rossi, I'm just offering my opinion. You are, of course, right in pointing out that none of us knows the future. I didn't say it would definitely happen, I said I think it will.

What is my basis for the opinion? I think Cook has shown himself to be a decent manager elsewhere. He is, by reputation at least, a decent coach. He has been clear that he will get rid of drift wood in the squad. He has a very definite view of what is needed in terms of strength of character and leadership on the pitch. He will have an opportunity to build a squad to his liking.

Will my hopes be realised? I really don't know. Do I still think it will happen? Yes I do. Am I a c*ck-eyed optimist? Probably.

Thanks for the conversation. :)

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:18 am

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:03 pm
rossi wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:55 pm
JOHN DEERE wrote:

Hi Rossi, I'm just offering my opinion. You are, of course, right in pointing out that none of us knows the future. I didn't say it would definitely happen, I said I think it will.

What is my basis for the opinion? I think Cook has shown himself to be a decent manager elsewhere. He is, by reputation at least, a decent coach. He has been clear that he will get rid of drift wood in the squad. He has a very definite view of what is needed in terms of strength of character and leadership on the pitch. He will have an opportunity to build a squad to his liking.

Will my hopes be realised? I really don't know. Do I still think it will happen? Yes I do. Am I a c*ck-eyed optimist? Probably.

Thanks for the conversation. :)
Coq-eyed? Definitely not.
Optimist? Yes