Mr Coq

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

rossi

Mr Coq

Post by rossi » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:37 pm

So, PC has now had 6 games in charge with the sorry record of P6 W1 D2 L3.

Immediately before he took over we won 3 games on the bounce - with the SAME players that PC has access to.

Something is very wrong here - maybe he's not nearly as good a manager as many of you on here believed him to be.

Tangfastic

Re: Mr Coq

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:03 am

Possibly. He did say after the game he’d love to play Jackson and Norwood up front but he’s never played two up front before. Full marks for honesty and openness, but it did make you wonder how the hell he’d managed so many games without changing things around. That comment does leave him open to criticism.

On the other hand, he’s got a very good track record at playing 4-2-3-1. Just hasn’t got the personnel.

I don’t think he’s the Mick type manager who’s very good at turning things around short-term. Maybe that’s why he turned down the job at Cardiff because it was a short term job, preferring a mid to long term project. If he’s given the backing by ME, I’d back him to bring in players who’d suit him and do a good job.
Maybe he’s the wrong type to get us promoted this season, but the right type to take us forward next season. I’m sticking with Cooky for the time being. Give him the tools for the job.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:05 am

I don’t think Paul Cook was appointed as a short term fix to get us promoted this season, in my opinion he’s here to complete the long awaited rebuild and I’m still very optimistic he’s a good man to do the job. There are some very well known managers who are excellent short term fixers the best known being Sam Allardyce, but with Town sitting comfortably mid table a short term fixer isn’t what we needed. Can you imagine the consequences of this current squad getting promoted to the Championship this season and what our chances would be of staying there, my guess is zero. As frustrating as it is to spend another season in League One, I don’t think now is the right time to be looking at a Paul Cooks win/lose record and comparing it with former managers, after six games it’s meaningless.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:09 am

Yes I had the same feeling that sacking PL at that point was effectively making the chances of reaching the playoffs harder. But as others above have said, maybe ME had already decided to give PC the time to build and be ready for the pre-season with his now look side.

Having said that other teams also seem be trying very hard not to reach the playoffs at the moment so there is still every chance IMO. We have to do better than against Wigan though. I paid for 40 mins of that and I really felt that we looked very clueless and lacking in urgency and ideas. It's all very well PC saying the same as this (he did) but that's no good, he is supposed to be motivating the players to do better. I didn't see many signs of motivated players yesterday. PC experimenting & trying to see who fits best and where is not going to get us into the mix unless he gets very lucky.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:10 pm

Jeez are we turning or doubting Cook already ? Come on, even by Town fans standards that is pretty damn alarming, as Charny says he wasn't brought in to win anything this season.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:10 pm
Jeez are we turning or doubting Cook already ? Come on, even by Town fans standards that is pretty damn alarming, as Charny says he wasn't brought in to win anything this season.
Dead right BM, he was appointed to do Massive cull of players that have accumulated here for a tidy few seasons, he has the remaining 10 games to keep assessing who goes and who stays.

I mean we have 22 midfielders :shock: that's got to be thinned down to sensible number, weak on strikers so he might bring in another 2, we need a new Captain for next season, and a quality GK, Cornell and Holy don't fill anyone with confidence, so a good No1, and a very strong they shall not pass defence, some good youth coming through the under 23's.

So if we finish say 10th wont be so bad, and by then Cookie should have his list to present to Marcus, of who's for the chop and who he wants brought in to start afresh next season. :D :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:09 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:37 pm
So, PC has now had 6 games in charge with the sorry record of P6 W1 D2 L3.

Immediately before he took over we won 3 games on the bounce - with the SAME players that PC has access to.

Something is very wrong here - maybe he's not nearly as good a manager as many of you on here believed him to be.
Nah, I think the players are throwing their toys out of the prism, because of what’s going to happen in the future....and they’re not going to be part of it.

Th8s squad has be a law unto itself for several years now, under Lambert. One minute the6 can beat a team...then they can’t be arsed against the minnows at the bottom...then there’s a whiff of a take over , and suddenly they are world beaters for three games...now it’s gone off the boil again.

If you got wind of some big changes potentially happening in the background, and thinking things are looking up ..ie Lambert on his way ( the players didn’t like him I’m led to believe), then Cook comes in , and like Hurst before him, tries to rally the troo0s to playing with more discipline ,be , and certainly wanting to change the set in their ways squad.( Lambert hadn’t the balls to tackle this very issue and merely added to the squad, when he should have kicked several players out 2 years ago.He bottled it ).

Cook on the other hand is making it crystal,clear what’s got to happen on the pitch, off the pitch and going forward. Shock amazement this shower of shyte, downs tools. They’ve had it so cushy for so long , play8mg the game at bloody walking pace, they can’t even manage a two session training regime two days running, they’re that bloody de- conditioned. They’re supposed to be professional, elite sport men. It’s laughable.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Quite right, Mike. It is quite ridiculous given how long Cook has been here, even more so when you consider how much time he has had to actually spend with the overpaid, over-rated bunch of players.

I wonder if Rossi is trying to wind people up really?
Last edited by barmy billy on Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:05 pm

I wonder where we'd finish if Pep Guardiola took over for the rest of the season. Does anyone think we'd get promoted? :blush:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:23 pm

Relegated. He can only work with £50M+ rated footballers.

Must admit, wasn't expecting a thread like this before seasons end and after the Mevans / Hurst / lambert trio of disaster show.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:36 am

barmy billy wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:21 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Quite right, Mike. It is quite ridiculous given how long Cook has been here, even more so when you consider how much time he has had to actually spend with the overpaid, over-rated bunch of players.

Well so much for trying to start a topic on this board and expecting decent discussion.

I never said I was turning against PC, I was merely making an observation and comparing Cook's 6 games to the 3 played previously.

To say that is a meaningless conversation is ridiculous - as is saying that he wasn't brought in to win games straight away, he's a manager FFS and that's his job. Actually, none of us know exactly why he was brought here despite some people thinking they do know. We were not party to the recruitment discussions.

It's a shame to see that this board really hasn't changed much over the last few years, and that's why there are far fewer regular posters now - make a post that doesn't look through blue tinted spectacles and that's wrong. Yet only a few weeks ago, many on here were posting so much negativity even to the point of wishing the team would lose. It's a funny old world :wink:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:03 am

I'm with Rossi here. It's a valid observation. I won't judge PC yet for sure but I find it hard to believe that he hasn't been tasked with trying to get us into the playoffs at least this year and so far it could be observed that his immediate impact is not (yet) positive.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:08 am

Of course its a valid point of discussion, that doesn't mean everyone is going to agree with it, hence the differing viewpoints, that's the whole point of a forum, on a personal level, if I agree I say so and likewise if I disagree, don't see anything wrong with that personally.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:57 am

rossi wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:36 am
barmy billy wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

Well so much for trying to start a topic on this board and expecting decent discussion.

I never said I was turning against PC, I was merely making an observation and comparing Cook's 6 games to the 3 played previously.

To say that is a meaningless conversation is ridiculous - as is saying that he wasn't brought in to win games straight away, he's a manager FFS and that's his job. Actually, none of us know exactly why he was brought here despite some people thinking they do know. We were not party to the recruitment discussions.

It's a shame to see that this board really hasn't changed much over the last few years, and that's why there are far fewer regular posters now - make a post that doesn't look through blue tinted spectacles and that's wrong. Yet only a few weeks ago, many on here were posting so much negativity even to the point of wishing the team would lose. It's a funny old world :wink:
I personally wasnt trying to trash your views Gary. Sorry if you thought that. I was trying too offer my theory to the thread, that’s all.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:26 pm

actually, Liz, it wasn't anything you said that prompted my reply, and FWIW it wasn't anything Mike said either

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:41 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:03 am
I'm with Rossi here. It's a valid observation. I won't judge PC yet for sure but I find it hard to believe that he hasn't been tasked with trying to get us into the playoffs at least this year and so far it could be observed that his immediate impact is not (yet) positive.
Dubai? 🤷‍♂️

Weren’t you bothered about the impact of games? Tuesdays / Wednesdays / Saturdays?
So, now you reckon that not only are there too many games in tight succession, but you feel Cook should have them winning them all? 🤷‍♂️

Don’t get me wrong....... I believe more should’ve been won, definitely and maybe Rossi has a point, but can’t figure out what it is you’re looking for.

Games should be won but more players rested ? 🤷‍♂️

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:59 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:26 pm
actually, Liz, it wasn't anything you said that prompted my reply, and FWIW it wasn't anything Mike said either
Let’s just see what happens Gary. I think there’s a helluva lot going on that we haven’t got a scooby doo about ( rightly so).

I’m really looking forward to next season , under Cook . It’ll be league one and hopefully his assistant will join us . It’s all about teamwork , and maybe PC isn’t quite so effective without his right hand man. But he talks so much sense and is do obviously motivated - so why aren’t the players buying into it ? I can’t answer that .

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:02 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:41 pm
Dubai Blue wrote:
Dubai? 🤷‍♂️

Weren’t you bothered about the impact of games? Tuesdays / Wednesdays / Saturdays?
So, now you reckon that not only are there too many games in tight succession, but you feel Cook should have them winning them all? 🤷‍♂️

Don’t get me wrong....... I believe more should’ve been won, definitely and maybe Rossi has a point, but can’t figure out what it is you’re looking for.

Games should be won but more players rested ? 🤷‍♂️
Marko yes I was.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:30 pm

rossi wrote:
barmy billy wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

I thought you’d got a decent discussion going involving at least 10 different posters with differing opinions all within 36 hours of initial post, I’m not sure exactly what you were expecting ?.... surely not nine people who all agree with you, that really would be a pointless discussion. 🤔🧐☹️

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:33 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
DB, you’ve spent the last two seasons defending Lambert - even when our form and results were terrible. Lambert had 5 transfer windows to Cook’s none. These are Lambert’s players. And Cook’s only had 6 games. Granted... it’s a poor start from his perspective, but I’ll judge Cook when he’s able to bring in his own players and have time to work on the training ground with the squad,
If promotion this season was essential for ME, he should have got rid of Lambert before Christmas and given Cook a window to bring in players and time to work with the squad.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:49 pm

Cook has to take a level of responsibility regards his scores with us since coming in. The manager picks the team, deploys formations, oversees training routines, speaks to the players, has the task to inspire and motivate what he's got to work with. All right the team is essentially sh*t and whoever was brought in had a job and a half here to undertake.

You realize no forward change was going to incur overnight whichever name we brought in but performances and scores thus far haven't improved therefore the manager must take it's share of culpability. Cook wasn't a choice for everyone and if you're of the skeptical group as each game progresses it's easy to lament as the tenure continues. Cook needs substantial money to spend on the team, we're not going to get by with obscure loan deals but where will the funds arrive from. Had enough of the T word but whether you're for Cook or against it in truth he really doesn't have much to work with in terms of building the club name back from where it finds itself.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:07 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:30 pm
rossi wrote:
barmy billy wrote:

I thought you’d got a decent discussion going involving at least 10 different posters with differing opinions all within 36 hours of initial post, I’m not sure exactly what you were expecting ?.... surely not nine people who all agree with you, that really would be a pointless discussion. 🤔🧐☹️
hmmmm.......maybe I found your contribution to the discussion:

I don’t think now is the right time to be looking at a Paul Cooks win/lose record and comparing it with former managers, after six games it’s meaningless.

just a bit condescending. Might have been better for you to have said nothing, rather than trying to render somebody's post as 'meaningless'. Quite frankly, I would have expected better from a moderator.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:40 am

rossi wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:07 am
Charnwood wrote:
rossi wrote:

I don’t think now is the right time to be looking at a Paul Cooks win/lose record and comparing it with former managers, after six games it’s meaningless.

just a bit condescending. Might have been better for you to have said nothing, rather than trying to render somebody's post as 'meaningless'. Quite frankly, I would have expected better from a moderator.

I guess that’s just the type of reaction we’ve come to expect from you Rossi and exactly why you got the response you did from Barmy Billy. I won’t say anymore than that, end of conversation.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:22 am

rossi wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:37 pm
I reckon if you’d ended the opening post before this last paragraph, it might’ve been taken as serious as you’d intended..... especially by the older lot amongst us.

To name two legends, Sir Bobby & Sir Eck..... both quite horrific starts to their managerial careers at Ipswich & Man Utd respectively and both given time to source the players they saw as stars, Ecks situation being a bit more unique in that quite a few superstars were coming through the youth system at the one time. Unheard of really. But he was given time for that to happen and was trusted.

No real explanation for the Ipswich upturn in form after the Northampton (who?) game. As of right now, the only real theoretical idea worth it’s weight is Hallams idea that “wind of change” across the board filled the metaphoric sails.

And then the downturn? They’re just not good enough or fully extracting their fingers, ie, training. Lambert looked like he’d lost interest and that will have went over in training. Wake up call when Cook took over but they obviously aren’t for waking up. Cooks presser saying it was “disappointing”...... thats as diplomatic as you’ll ever see a manager. He’s all for clearing a lot of these duds out.

And so, (IF MEVANS PROVIDES) he’ll clear not all, but half the decks, and bring in who he feels will get the ship back to the second tier.

Sails, decks, ships......, and yes it does feel like the club has been stuck like a big boat in a canal for YEARS......., but Cook, like Jewell, Mick, Hurst, and Lambert needs a summer to see what happens.

Got to be honest...... but if you’re right and this thread is more relevant come October, I reckon most fans will be like, “🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Oh well”....., a lot of fans are quite immune to it now.

But, (positivity glasses on) COME ON, COOKIE!!!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:42 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:33 pm
Dubai Blue wrote:
DB, you’ve spent the last two seasons defending Lambert - even when our form and results were terrible. Lambert had 5 transfer windows to Cook’s none. These are Lambert’s players. And Cook’s only had 6 games. Granted... it’s a poor start from his perspective, but I’ll judge Cook when he’s able to bring in his own players and have time to work on the training ground with the squad,
If promotion this season was essential for ME, he should have got rid of Lambert before Christmas and given Cook a window to bring in players and time to work with the squad.
Tangfastic yes I have been supportive of PL and I'll also take a long time to judge PC properly but I'm just a little disappointed that PC was not able to continue the good run of form that PL had at the end and I'm wondering why that is.

Some have suggested that he has a similar approach to PH and that our delicate personalities have had their noses put out of joint. I can't say if this is true or not, all I know is that a good manager is responsible for getting the best out of his available team and whatever else may be true, so far he hasn't managed this as well I think we all expected and certainly the performances seem to be a step down from the last few games of PLs reign. Which strikes me as odd.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:47 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:40 am
rossi wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:07 am
Charnwood wrote:

I guess that’s just the type of reaction we’ve come to expect from you Rossi and exactly why you got the response you did from Barmy Billy. I won’t say anymore than that, end of conversation.
That's fine Charnwood. Absolutely no need for you to bring Barmy Billy into it, I never mentioned him or what he posted and I don't see why you appear to be hiding behind him.

Bottom line is that you obviously think my views are meaningless, and that's fine because the feeling is entirely mutual.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:06 pm

What are the odds this thread will be locked by midnight? :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:16 pm

Only if people who don't need to comment or get involved get involved, chat about the topic of the thread by all means.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:39 pm

It's beginning to feel like Marko is the only one on this forum who has a sense of humour. It's a shame because I used to have a good laugh with numerous posters on here...not anymore.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:34 pm

That's your choice to feel that way, but its a fact when things shall we say get a bit heated some can't help but throw fuel on the fire.