Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:59 pm

Town and Blackpool are reportedly showing interest in Scunthorpe winger Alex Gilliead, who is out of contract in the summer.

According to Football League World, the Blues are monitoring the 25-year-old’s situation with the Seasiders also keen.

Gilliead, who plays primarily on the right, joined the Iron in the summer of 2019 and has made 77 starts and three sub appearances for the League Two club, scoring seven times. This season he has scored once and picked up four assists.

The six-foot-tall County Durham-born wideman or striker started his career with Newcastle United and featured for England’s U16, U17, U18 and U20 sides while at St James’ Park.

During his time as a Magpies player he spent spells on loan at Carlisle, Luton and Bradford before moving to Shrewsbury on a two-year deal in the summer of 2018 before departing for his current club for an undisclosed fee a year later.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:47 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Paul Cook look to one or two reliable players he knows from the past. I’ve no idea who these might be as I’ve never really followed his career, but I’m sure he’ll have a couple or so lined up.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:41 pm

Now linked with a previous player of PC's

https://the72.co.uk/229804/ipswich-town ... ct-26-y-o/

Lee Evans(cue Marko's Jokes.......lol)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:51 pm

Not a player I am overly familiar with tbh.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:29 pm

When we played them recently a player who caught my eye was their young midfielder ( he was Dutch I think : Thelo Aasgard )..he looked very promising and creative.

I can see a few of PC 's previous players being linked with us now .

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:04 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:29 pm
When we played them recently a player who caught my eye was their young midfielder ( he was Dutch I think : Thelo Aasgard )..he looked very promising and creative.

I can see a few of PC 's previous players being linked with us now .

Managers always like to bring in one or two of their favourites when they join a new club, Paul Cook will be no different. The big question is, can we name any ?

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:19 am

Can we name a good amount of the players that are outplaying us week in week out?
My issue will be that he doesn’t get the backing of Evans for this clear out that is so drastically needed
!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:14 am

bluejacko wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:19 am
Can we name a good amount of the players that are outplaying us week in week out?
My issue will be that he doesn’t get the backing of Evans for this clear out that is so drastically needed
!
That’s the key. Will Evans back Cook? He’d be daft not to seeing as he’s wasted so much money taking us further and further downwards.

I don’t think we’ll need too much investment. If we offload a great majority of the squad - that’s a massive saving. There’s going to be lots of free transfers available and I guess that’s where Cook will go shopping. And I believe we’ll be having a greatly reduced squad size. That means players who can play 40 games a season in a much squad. Bishop is someone we might want to keep, but can he play 40 games a season? Can Norwood and KVY also? Cook seems to know what type of player he wants and I don’t think he’ll buy anyone who can’t fit into a 4-2-3-1 system.

I’m underwhelmed by what Cook has achieved so far, but I think his strength will be piecing together a side who can play his way with a higher tempo. I have faith in Cook, but we need to better of the pitch in recruitment and business- and that’s where Evans needs to step back and bring in other people who can do that side better. Assuming he’ll still be here.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:00 pm

I feel certain Paul Cook is underwhelmed by his own efforts right now too tang . He’s honest enough to admit that even now . But I wish I could be a fly on the wall when he and Roberts talk about this squad, because it doesn’t matter what he tried with them they can’t perform , adapt or perform can they 🤷‍♀️ And let’s not forget they tell us often enough how professional they all are ! They’re x bloody joke, the lot of them !

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:17 pm

Over at Cambridge, a short trip from us, they got a forward called Paul Mullin. This kid is a bit special, thirty goals already this season and his goals to games ratio with them is highly commendable. Just the sort of player from lower level I'd like to see here, and get rid of one or two of our own lousy strikers while you're at it.

Only problem is don't think Cambridge would sell as they're right on course for a promotion to this league. Why sell to a rival in few months they'll surely need him for their quest in League One. But all things are possible out there, would be real interesting if we could get him on board. We're a more glamorous club than Cambridge without question, just hoping with a new ownership and all he could be persuaded to make the short trip over.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:00 pm

Yes indeed SJ, good age too at 26.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:02 am

Town and Portsmouth have been linked with Feyenoord central defender George Johnston, who is currently on loan at Wigan Athletic.

According to Football Insider, the Blues and Pompey are both eyeing a summer move for Johnston, who has impressed for the Latics having joined them in January.

The 22-year-old Manchester-born defender, who has been capped by Scotland at U20 and U21 levels, started his career with Liverpool’s academy before moving on to Feyenoord in August 2019. He made one Eredivisie start and three sub appearances for the Rotterdam side in the first half of this season.

Johnston, who is out of contract in the summer but with Feyenoord to having an option for a further season, has made 12 starts and three sub appearances scoring once for Wigan, whose caretaker-manager, Leam Richardson, is Town boss Paul Cook’s former Latics, Portsmouth and Chesterfield assistant and who has been tipped for a role at Portman Road next season

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:03 am

Good Riddance I say......

Blues winger Gwion Edwards is reportedly interesting Sunderland and Preston with his contract up in the summer.

According to Football Insider, the Black Cats and Lilywhites are both keen on the 28-year-old Welshman, who will be a free agent come the end of the campaign.

Town took the option of an additional year in Edwards’s contract last summer but there have been no talks about a new deal since then.

Speaking about the situation last week, he said: “While the fact that I’m going to be out of contract in three months might be at the back of my mind, it isn’t really something that I’m too worried about. My main concentration is on helping to push this team into the play-offs.

“Obviously, I’m curious about where I’m going to be next season, whether it’s here at Ipswich or elsewhere.

“It would be nice to know but, like I said, it’s not bothering me too much. I’m sure the club will sit down at the end of the season and talk to all the players who are going to be out of contract.”

Edwards is one of 26 players whose deals are up at the end of the season with a summer of great change anticipated even before confirmation of the takeover earlier today.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:23 am

Thinking about the statements on recruitment, I wonder if the new process for players evaluations will be implemented in the summer transfer window?...Or will that be too soon? Could we see a couple of talented foreign players brought in? And when I say foreign, I don’t mean Irish! :lol: (No offense)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:13 pm

Town boss Paul Cook is reported to be keen on a reunion with his former Wigan striker Will Grigg, who is currently on loan from Sunderland with Saturday’s opponents the MK Dons.

According to Football Insider, Cook is a big fan of Grigg having managed the Northern Ireland international during his time as boss of the Latics.

Grigg, 29, netted 19 times in 43 games as Cook’s side carried off the League One title in 2017/18.

Solihull-born Grigg started his league career at Walsall having been with Birmingham City and Solihull Moors as a youngster before a spell with Stratford Town.

In 2013 he joined Brentford and spent two years with the Bees during which time he spent an earlier spell on loan with the Dons.

Grigg joined Wigan for a fee of £900,000 in the summer of 2015 - prior to Cook's stint as manager - and went on to net a total of 65 goals in 113 starts and 37 sub appearances before joining Sunderland for £4 million in January 2019.

The 5ft 11in tall striker’s time at Sunderland has proved less successful - eight goals in 37 starts and 24 sub appearances - and on deadline day at the end of the January transfer window he rejoined the Dons for whom he has scored three and picked up three assists in seven starts and six sub appearances.

Grigg has another year left on his Black Cats contract but it is anticipated that he will move on in the summer.

Even prior to this week’s takeover it was expected that there would be a significant turnover of players in the summer with Cook already understood to be keen on another of his former Wigan squad members, midfielder Lee Evans.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:31 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:13 pm
Town boss Paul Cook is reported to be keen on a reunion with his former Wigan striker Will Grigg, who is currently on loan from Sunderland with Saturday’s opponents the MK Dons.
Would like to see this happen. Certainly rate him more than most of our current strike force.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:56 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:31 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Would like to see this happen. Certainly rate him more than most of our current strike force.
Got to trust Cook's judgement but he hasn't done much since leaving Wigan for Sunderland.
Jack Ross made what seemed a good signing at the time for Sunderland but never happened for him.
Now a few years older too

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:05 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:56 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:31 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Got to trust Cook's judgement but he hasn't done much since leaving Wigan for Sunderland.
Jack Ross made what seemed a good signing at the time for Sunderland but never happened for him.
Now a few years older too
Well i hope he is sh*te Tomorrow. Now that he is on loan at MK DONS.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:49 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:06 am

Surprised that Grigg is only 29. Thought he was about 33.

I remember watching Sunderland Till I Die and Jack Ross telling the owner he’s not worth more than 1.25 million. And they bought him for 4 million! Crazy. I have to say Ross was more responsible about the owner’s money than the owner himself.
He’s obviously gone backwards in the last 2-3 years. I suppose it’s only the Cook connection that is interesting and that he could re-start his career under Cook. He’s at MK Dons for a reason - I think we can do better.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:52 am

What we have to remember is that with most of these stories they come from the press and not Cook, the odd one will invariably prove to have some substance to it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:23 pm

Parrott being linked with return to Town next season

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... fc-7898476

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:26 am

Towns Goal keeper coach has gone now ….

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... eaves-town

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:28 am

That can only be a good thing. Holy has gone backwards under his stewardship

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:41 am

Holy sh*t !!!!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:52 am

I'm sure PC is preparing to bring in a whole bunch of his regular backroom staff once the season is over.

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:41 am
Holy sh*t !!!!
Ha! Mike I'm assuming you left out the 'is'............!?

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:55 pm

jimmyt wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:03 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Holy sh*t !!!!
:D

Be interesting to see who comes in.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:09 pm

jimmyt wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:03 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Holy sh*t !!!!
I never used to think he was but they all are now as far as I am concerned

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:59 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:26 am
Towns Goal keeper coach has gone now ….

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... eaves-town
Shame he is not taking the goalkeepers with him. I have never known a keeper like Holy who does not like to dive. Maybe they should put Judge in goal who loves to dive. :roll: