So that’s it then.... a rebuild begins

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

So that’s it then.... a rebuild begins

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:23 pm

Out with the under performers and start to rebuild around............. who?

Well of the current “younger” senior squad players , I’m kinda expecting Cook to try and hang onto the following , and or offer new contracts to

Senior players....

DM Downes (but think he will fail to keep him at the club)
AM Dozzell
LB Nydam
CM Nolan
AM Bishop
CB Woolfie
RB KVY

Younger players.
CB Baggott
AM/ Winger Dobra
CB Ndaba

I’m struggling past that list tbh.

So that leaves the following positions to recruit.

GK x2
RB
LB
CM
AM
CB x 3 ( I’m assuming Chambers, Toto, Wilson will all be leaving, but Toto just might survive the cull)
Striker x 4
( I’m assuming all current strikers will potentially leave) . Norwood is 30yrs old either now or next season I think. He hasn’t done anything since he’s been here .Drinan, Hawkins, Jackson, Sears, NONE are good enough .

AM (attacking midfield)
CM (centre midfield)

What do you guys feel might happen?

number 9

Re: So that’s it then.... a rebuild begins

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:38 pm

I think Nolan & Wolfie will be gone. Dozzell may survive due to name recognition, but not guaranteed. Norwood will probably get a short term. Cook will want to keep Downes, but Downes may not want to be here. Not sure if Dobra will survive even though I rate him.

Wish I could peer into a crystal ball to see our starting line up next season. :astroll:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:57 am

I think Nolan has been lucky to be injured for PCs tenure so far and at the start PC did mention that he was looking forward to being able to play him. I think he'll survive.

Of course the question could be asked the other way: with PC saying last night that he doesn't know if he can trust his players, will anyone want to hang around? For that matter do we care.

Final thought: If we really do lose all of the players suggested then it will be a monumental task to build a team out of a squad of strangers to compete for next season's promotion. Is there a case for keeping the players whose attitude he feels he can turn around and adding new faces over the two windows up to Jan 2022? So then those that are retained are retained because of attitude not necessarily ability.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:47 am

I think most of these players are playing at the level they can manage - Mid table league 1. They are not good enough for anything more.

Downes - The only one who has shown any sign of quality
Dozzell - I am sure theres a player in there somewhere, he just needs more quality around him
Woofie - If he plays like he did last year then he will be ok
Toto - Playing at his absolute max level - Our best defender by far, but a squad player at best in a promotion side
Norwood - Getting on a bit, and needs someone to feed off, plus needs to change his attitude. But would keep him
Bishops - glimpses of quality. If he can stay fit , maybe
Nydam - Ive not seen much of him, but i think hes worth keeping
Nolan - If he can get fit , he should be ok for another season

Thats about it i think. The problem is, can we really buy 10-15 players in the summer and have them all with promotion quality? And the word "gel" springs to mind. They would need a wonderful off season to get ready to play as a team!

I hope PC and Ashton have the ability to find 10 quality players who can step straight into the first team. Its a BIG ask. I reckon we could be looking at a consolidation year next year and a promotion push the year after, AT BEST

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:32 am

Nics .., I sort of agree with you....... but I reckon WELL OVER half the fan base will NOT tolerate a 21/22 “consolidation” season, then a 22/23 push???

Absolutely nae danger.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:37 am

It matters not what the fans think or want really... Its time for reality. But god i want to be wrong

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:59 am

Problem is, a lot of fans (unashamedly myself included) STILL cannot accept that League One is the current reality. If ANY member of staff utters “consolidation” for 21/22 season, there will be unrest that will affect the players and manager.

I know that the reality is what you say....... but for gods sake, hopefully the club do not make that public. Hopefully the “message” is PROMOTION.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:26 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:59 am
Problem is, a lot of fans (unashamedly myself included) STILL cannot accept that League One is the current reality. If ANY member of staff utters “consolidation” for 21/22 season, there will be unrest that will affect the players and manager.

I know that the reality is what you say....... but for gods sake, hopefully the club do not make that public. Hopefully the “message” is PROMOTION.
I’m pretty sure the message going forward next season will be promotion. Whether we get there or not - who knows. And we now have a different mentality than before. These investors aren’t going to hang around and give new five year Lambert contracts if we’re mid-table. There’s bound to be a lot more pressure and focus on getting promoted now. I don’t think this is now a nice club where you can hide whilst getting paid well. It’s not just the fans demanding success and promotion - we’ve now got a bunch of retired cops and firemen in the States demanding it.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:40 am

And those US guys carry guns :mrgreen:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:09 pm

:shock: Shout out at me if you think I'm wrong, :roll: BUT I think we should approach Mark Noble from West Ham to bring in as a Midfield general and Captain, he wants to leave West Ham and at 32 he's still got 3 good seasons in him, he played here on loan in 2007 and was a sensation very hard working midfielder , just the right person to have along side Bishop, Downes, and would hopefully make Dozzel more inspiring.
Certainly we need a better Keeper who has better distribution ball skills. Then the back 4 needs sorting, KVY and Kenlock as the right and left Full backs with two new centre backs, then its Two new strikers, ours have proven they aint up to it, so search for a couple of Gems in the lower leagues, their definitely there to be discovered. We just have to be wise at finding them like Peterborough and Brentford have proven.

I know Paul Cook will bring in his choices of staff and players, who he knows will work hard and grind out results when needed.

Just Roll on the Summer clear out and new beginnings.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:31 pm

My rebuild would consist of.....
Downes
Bishop
Baggott
Dobra
Ndaba
KVY
Nydam

And possibly......
Dozzell
Nsiala

As for the rest........ just go
Holy - Going backwards
Ward - past it
Chambers - Time up
Woolfenden- f**king hopeless
Kenlock - we need better
Nolan - way too inconsistent
Edwards - sh*te, awful body language
Huws - seen more of Lord Lucan
Donacien - we need better
Wilson - just bang average, need better
Judge - Ask Rossi
Sears - this is a family forum, can't say it.
Norwood- overrated fat pile of sh*te
Jackson - Not interested
Hawkins - Always injured and never scores
Drinan - Not up to it
Cornell - Need better
Skuse - Finished

Send all the loanees back now, f**king Lambert, what sh*te they are !!!!

If I've missed anyone off the list then f*ck me they must be bad as I can't even remember them !!!!

Bunch of no good, hopeless w*nkers!!!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:47 pm

Think I'd keep Myles Kenlock from your list, Mike......., but the rest --->> Yep, off you all trot.

crisg22

Post by crisg22 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:57 pm

Jack Lankester maybe? He looked ok in flashes.

El Mizouni any good?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:04 pm

crisg22 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:57 pm

El Mizouni any good?
Yes !!! Keep those Two

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:07 pm

crisg22 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:57 pm

El Mizouni any good?
Forgot about Lankester. I think in the past he’s one we’d keep on giving an extra year based on his potential. But maybe Cook will make a quick judgement on him as not good enough. If he’s not good enough, then goodbye. Lankester looked a far better player 2 1/2 years ago, but doesn’t seem to have got stronger and has gone backwards.

I liked El Mizouni, but he’s another one who’s shown glimpses, yet hasn’t pushed on. Maybe because he’s injured that might save him.
I think Nolan is also going to be saved by his injury. It’s a good time to be injured where you become a better player.

Brett McGavin? Hmmmmm.... Marko’s analysis on his brief Ayr debut means his days could be numbered.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:42 pm

marko69 wrote:

Given how close we are/have been to the play-offs all season being basically 'sh*t' you do wonder if 'consolidation' may actually be the level of improvement needed to get into them.

Just a thought.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:07 pm

Good point Todd

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:18 pm

TBF..... If we were just bang-average we’d be top six. If we were above average we’d be top two. The league is a terrible standard.

I just think if we can get decent standard League One players who are round pegs for round holes, are fit enough to play 40+ games a season and have some semblance of a backbone - we’ll be there or there about at the end of next season. None of this playing 2 x 35 year olds as attacking full backs or a striker who can’t hold up the ball or wingers who can’t get crosses in or midfielders who can’t tackle. And get an 8ft goalkeeper because obviously a 6ft 9” goalkeeper isn’t tall enough to command an area

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:29 pm

TODD66 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:42 pm
marko69 wrote:

Given how close we are/have been to the play-offs all season being basically 'sh*t' you do wonder if 'consolidation' may actually be the level of improvement needed to get into them.

Just a thought.
Yes definitely , IF the squad is largely the same. But I think it’s the general consensus that there is going to be a clear out. No? 🤔
And going by Cooks CV, I reckon a “gel” season with players he identifies may not be required.

Promotion next season for sure. Not to add pressure, but automatic promotion as well. Fk the play-offs! 👍 :D:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:31 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:18 pm
And get an 8ft goalkeeper because obviously a 6ft 9” goalkeeper isn’t tall enough to command an area
Real headline from the past:
“GILLS RELEASE 6Ft9 GOALKEEPER.”

Eh? Why?

Because he's absolute sh!t.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:10 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:18 pm
TBF..... If we were just bang-average we’d be top six. If we were above average we’d be top two. The league is a terrible standard.

I just think if we can get decent standard League One players who are round pegs for round holes, are fit enough to play 40+ games a season and have some semblance of a backbone - we’ll be there or there about at the end of next season. None of this playing 2 x 35 year olds as attacking full backs or a striker who can’t hold up the ball or wingers who can’t get crosses in or midfielders who can’t tackle. And get an 8ft goalkeeper because obviously a 6ft 9” goalkeeper isn’t tall enough to command an area
Oh you mean individuals who can actually pass the ball and take a shot...defenders who can defend corners and free kicks...a goalie who commands his area? Bloody hell...aren't those the fundamentals of playing football?

I agree, lets replace our League 'None' players with League One players and go from there. Poor old Cook must be pulling his hair out! :lol:

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:20 pm

I think we will have to keep some players because they are contracted, both keepers are and for a start and I think we need to get a number one and maybe keep the other one as back up thats if we can offload one but it won't be easy, I can see maybe 5 or 6 players coming in at first and more to follow in the next transfer window.
I see Spurs are happy for us to have Parrot on loan next season, I'm not sure it's a case of will he fit into Cooks system of playing.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:38 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:20 pm
I think we will have to keep some players because they are contracted, both keepers are and for a start and I think we need to get a number one and maybe keep the other one as back up thats if we can offload one but it won't be easy, I can see maybe 5 or 6 players coming in at first and more to follow in the next transfer window.
I see Spurs are happy for us to have Parrot on loan next season, I'm not sure it's a case of will he fit into Cooks system of playing.
Have to agree with you Kerry. And while we’re all hoping for a clear out, we have to remember who we are at the moment. We’re a struggling League One team outside of the playoffs. I’m not real sure how much quality we’ll even be able to entice to come here...money or not.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:31 pm
My rebuild would consist of.....
Downes
Bishop
Baggott
Dobra
Ndaba
KVY
Nydam

And possibly......
Dozzell
Nsiala

As for the rest........ just go
Holy - Going backwards
Ward - past it
Chambers - Time up
Woolfenden- f**king hopeless
Kenlock - we need better
Nolan - way too inconsistent
Edwards - sh*te, awful body language
Huws - seen more of Lord Lucan
Donacien - we need better
Wilson - just bang average, need better
Judge - Ask Rossi
Sears - this is a family forum, can't say it.
Norwood- overrated fat pile of sh*te
Jackson - Not interested
Hawkins - Always injured and never scores
Drinan - Not up to it
Cornell - Need better
Skuse - Finished

Send all the loanees back now, f**king Lambert, what sh*te they are !!!!

If I've missed anyone off the list then f*ck me they must be bad as I can't even remember them !!!!

Bunch of no good, hopeless w*nkers!!!!
Have to agree Mike - what about Bluey and Crazee though? If its a real clear out then we have to at least consider whether with the new investment we may be able to attract a couple of thoroughbreds? 😂