Charlton Athletic vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Anyone going for a win?

Charlton Win
67%
Ipswich Win
22%
Draw
11%

Total votes: 18

Frosty
Forum Owner

Charlton Athletic vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:38 pm

Image Charlton Athletic v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 17th April 2021 – 12:30

The Valley

Pre-Match Thoughts – Mike

When Will This Agony End ?.................

I'm not gonna lie, writing these is becoming painful, for so long I've always been Mr Positive where Town are concerned by my God trying to find anything positive to write about these last few Months is proving impossible, even for me. Every week we say "It can't get any worse" and as each game ticks by it is getting worse, much worse in fact, we are sinking to depths which quite frankly I did not think possible of this club. In recent weeks we have not only failed to beat Rochdale, Wigan, Wimbledon and Gillingham, we have actually been outplayed in most departments by them, every team we come up against seem to pass the ball so much better, create more chances, have more command of the Midfield, get better set pieces into the box, close down and tackle better and basically do just about everything that there is to do in a Football match better than us!

I think it is now abundantly clear that for whatever reason the players have down tools as much as they can without it becoming glaringly obvious, clearly there was some upheaval as the takeover news broke and that is fair enough but as some have said, where the hell is their fight to be part of the future, it is as if they have already been told they are on their way out of the club so they are thinking "why bother" I expect some have already been approached or tapped up by other clubs, yes even as poor as most of them are this is the world of Football and some idiot somewhere will offer most of them deals.

It is very easy to apportion blame and while Paul Cook cannot be exonerated completely I think it is ridiculous to blame him for very much at all at this moment in time, as someone said on the forum, maybe he should have stuck rigidly to his beliefs and trusted formation instead of trying to adapt it to suit this useless bunch of no marks, that is probably his biggest area for criticism but he still tried that in good faith, sadly it hasn't worked at all.

For me the blame still lies at Paul Lambert's door, I truly believe he made it a comfortable place to be and was always protecting the players from blame or criticism, Cook has come in and told them all some home truths which has put a few noses out of joint, and rightly so, it's ok saying we won two or Three just before Lambert departed but my god they were flukes and after two and a half years we are supposed to be thankful to him for that ? No sorry, for me he left a massive mess, not just what we all see but in the dressing room for sure.

We must be patient where the Manager is concerned, I am convinced he will get it right once he can put his stamp on this squad, we now have the new owners in place, the new CEO in place, a vibrant and competent Manager in place, we have a fan base that WILL flock back once it's able to, all we need now is Cook's nous in the transfer market in assembling a new squad, it won't cost as much as some may think as there will be a lot of bargains and out of contract players around to be had and hopefully now with the investment we can be competitors where paying wages etc is concerned. I really cannot wait until the Transfer window opens because instead of grubbing around in the bargain basement I can see us actually being in the running for the Clarke-Harris' of this world, what a refreshing change that will be.

I don't even want to mention the Wimbledon game as it was not what I can begin to associate my team with, I know exactly how Paul Cook feels, being associated with that dross is damaging. We head to Charlton next and sadly another run of the mill and sure fire drubbing, I cannot see anything else, some are asking for a complete change of team with youngsters etc being drafted in and while I would welcome it and I agree with it I just know it won't happen to the degree we would all like, while there is hope Cook probably feels he has to go strong, on paper at least because we sure as hell aren't strong, so with that in mind I can see Two or Three changes as he juggles his Donkeys again, what a job, who in the hell would want to try and put a team together out of this mish mash load of losers!!

So there are Six more to suffer and we have to keep the faith that a new dawn is very much on the horizon, I would not be surprised if we fail to win another game this campaign and at present I couldn't really care less, the sooner it ends the sooner the cull can begin where I hope to god we take no prisoners. So for me it is a comprehensive Addicks win, it's just a matter of by how many. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Charlton Athletic

Charlton Athletic F.C. were formed on 9 June 1905 by a group of 15- to 17-year-old boys near to the present-day site of the Thames Barrier.

Charlton spent the years before the First World War playing in local leagues. After the war, they joined the Kent League for one season (1919–20) before becoming professional. They were accepted by the Southern League and played just a single season (1920–21) before being voted into the Football League.

In 1923 it was proposed that Charlton merge with Catford Southend to create a larger team with bigger support, however, the move fell through and the Addicks returned to the Charlton area in 1924.

Charlton finished second bottom in the Football League in 1926 and were forced to apply for re-election which was successful.

Three years later the Addicks won the Division Three championship in 1929 and they remained at the Division Two level for four years.

After relegation into the Third Division south at the end of the 1932/33 season the club appointed Jimmy Seed as manager and he oversaw the most successful period in Charlton's history either side of the Second World War.

Seed, an ex-miner who had made a career as a footballer despite suffering the effects of poison gas in the First World War, remains the most successful manager in Charlton's history. The organisation Seed brought to the team proved effective and the Addicks gained successive promotions from the Third Division to the First Division between 1934 and 1936.

In 1937, Charlton finished runners up in the First Division, in 1938 finished fourth and 1939 finished third.They were the most consistent team in the top flight of English football over the three seasons immediately before the Second World War.

Charlton reached the 1946 FA Cup Final, but lost to Derby County.

When the full league programme resumed in 1946–47 Charlton could finish only 19th in the First Division, just above the relegation spots, but they made amends with their performance in the FA Cup, winning the 1947 FA Cup Final.

In this period of renewed football attendances, Charlton became one of only thirteen English football teams to average over 40,000 as their attendance during a full season. The Valley was the largest football ground in the League, drawing crowds in excess of 70,000. However, in the 1950s little investment was made either for players or to The Valley, hampering the club's growth. In 1956, the then board undermined Jimmy Seed and then sacked him, and Charlton were relegated.

From the late 1950s until the early 1970s, Charlton remained a mainstay of the Second Division before relegation to the Third Division in 1972 which caused the team's support to drop, and even a promotion in 1975 back to the second division did little to re-invigorate the team's support and finances.

In 1979–80 Charlton were relegated again to the Third Division, but won immediate promotion back to the Second Division in 1980–81.Even though it did not feel like it, this was a turning point in the club's history leading to a period of turbulence and change including further promotion and exile. A change in management and shortly after a change in club ownership led to severe problems and the club looked like it would go out of business.

In 1984 financial matters came to a head and the club went into administration, to be reformed as Charlton Athletic (1984) Ltd. But the club's finances were still far from secure, and they were forced to leave the Valley just after the start of the 1985–86 season, in the wake of the Bradford City stadium fire after its safety was criticised by Football League officials. The club began to groundshare with Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park.

Despite the move away from the Valley, Charlton were promoted to the First Division as Second Division runners-up at the end of 1985–86, and remained at this level for four years (achieving a highest league finish of 14th). Eventually, Charlton were relegated in 1990 however Manager Lennie Lawrence remained in charge for one more season before he accepted an offer to take charge of Middlesbrough. He was replaced by joint player-managers Alan Curbishley and Steve Gritt who started to achieve results, however, the club was forced to sell players to help pay for a return to The Valley, which eventually happened in December 1992.

In 1995, new chairman Richard Murray appointed Alan Curbishley as manager of Charlton. Under his sole leadership Charlton made an appearance in the playoffs in 1996 and the following season brought a disappointing 15th place finish. In 1997–98 Charlton's they reached the Division One playoff final against Sunderland which they won on penalties and were promoted to the Premier League.

Charlton's first Premier League campaign began promisingly but they were unable to keep up their good form and were relegated back to Division One on the final day of the season. The club's board kept faith in Curbishley, and were rewarded with the Division One title in 2000 which signalled a return to the Premier League.
After the club's return, Curbishley proved an astute spender and by 2003 he had succeeded in establishing Charlton in the top flight. Charlton failed to build on this level of achievement and Curbishley departed in 2006, with the club still established as a solid mid-table side.

In May 2006, Iain Dowie was named as Curbishley's successor, but was sacked after twelve league matches in November 2006. Les Reed replaced Dowie as manager, however he too failed to improve Charlton's position in the league table and on Christmas Eve 2006, Reed was replaced by former player Alan Pardew. Although results did improve, Pardew was unable to keep Charlton up and relegation was confirmed in the penultimate match of the season.

Charlton's return to the second tier of English football was a disappointment, with their promotion campaign tailing off to an 11th place finish.

On 22 November 2008 Charlton suffered a loss to Sheffield United at home, which meant that the club had gone eight successive games without a win and had slipped into the relegation zone—particularly disastrous considering they were among the pre-season favourites for promotion. Hours after the game, Alan Pardew left Charlton by mutual consent.

Matters did not improve under caretaker manager Phil Parkinson, Charlton's were relegated to League One.

After spending almost the entire 2009/2010 season in the top six of League One, Charlton were defeated in the Football League One play-offs.

At that time, Charlton went through a change in ownership. The new owners decided to remove both Parkinson and Charlton legend Mark Kinsella after a poor run of results and another Charlton legend, Chris Powell was appointed manager of the club in January 2011.

In a busy summer, Powell brought in 19 new players and after a successful season, on 14 April 2012, Charlton Athletic won promotion back to the Championship.
In the first season back to the Championship since the 2008–09 season, the 2012–13 season of the Championship saw Charlton finish ninth place with 65 points, just three points outside of the play-off places to the Premier League.

In early January 2014 during the 2013–14 season, Belgian businessman, Roland Duchâtelet took over Charlton Athletic football club. On 11 March 2014 , two days after a disappointing FA Cup quarter-final loss to Sheffield United, and with Charlton sitting bottom of the table, Chris Powell was sacked by Duchâtelet.

New manager, Jose Riga, despite having to join Charlton late into the season, was able to help Charlton survive relegation and the club ended the season in 18th position. Riga resigned at the end of the season to take charge of Blackpool which saw Bob Peeters taking over the managers role.

In January 2015 Guy Luzon was appointed head coach from Peeters and he saw the season out with the Addicks finishing in 12th place on 60 points

On 14th January 2016, Riga was appointed head coach of Charlton Athletic for the second time, but could not prevent Charlton from being relegated to League One for the 2016–17 season. Riga resigned at the end of the season. To many fans, the managerial changes and subsequent relegation to League One were symptomatic of the mismanagement of the club under Duchâtelet's ownership and several protests began.

Lee Bowyer was appointed Manager in March 2018 on a one-year contract and after finishing third in the regular 2018-19 EFL League One season, Charlton beat Sunderland 2–1 in the League One play-off final to earn promotion back to the EFL Championship after a three-season absence. Bowyer later signed a new one-year contract following promotion, which was later extended to three years in January 2020.

On 29 November 2019, Charlton Athletic were acquired by East Street Investments (ESI) from Abu Dhabi, subject to approval from the English Football League (EFL). Approval was reportedly granted on 2 January 2020. However, on 10 March 2020, a public disagreement between the new owners erupted along with reports that the main investor was pulling out, and the EFL said the takeover had not been approved.The Valley and Charlton's training ground were still owned by Duchâtelet, and a transfer embargo was in place as the new owners had not provided evidence of funding through to June 2021.

On 20 April 2020, the EFL announced that the club had been placed under investigation for misconduct regarding the takeover. In June 2020, Charlton confirmed that ESI had been taken over by a consortium led by businessman Paul Elliott, and said it had contacted the EFL to finalise the ownership change. However, a legal dispute involving former ESI director Matt Southall continued. He attempted to regain control of the club to prevent Elliot's takeover from going ahead, but failed and was subsequently fined and dismissed for challenging the club's directors. On 7 August 2020 the EFL said three individuals including ESI owner Elliot and lawyer Chris Farnell had failed its Owners' and Directors' Test, leaving the club's ownership unclear; Charlton appealed against the decision.

Meanwhile, Thomas Sandgaard, a Danish businessman based in Colorado, was reported to be negotiating to buy the club.After further court hearings, Elliott was granted an injunction blocking the sale of ESI until a hearing in November 2020. On 25 September 2020, Sandgaard managed to acquire the club itself from ESI, and was reported to have passed the EFL's Owners' and Directors' Tests; the EFL noted the change in control, but said the club's sale was now "a matter for the interested parties".

Charlton had been relegated back to League One at the end of the 2019–20 season after finishing 22nd.

On 15 March 2021, with the club lying in 8th place, Lee Bowyer resigned as manager of the club and soon after was appointed manager of Birmingham City. His successor, Nigel Adkins, was appointed three days later.

The Manager – Nigel Adkins

Form Guide

Charlton Last 5 Matches – currently in 8th place with 62 point

13 Mar Charlton 1 - 1 Shrewsbury

16 Mar Charlton 3 - 2 Bristol Rovers

20 Mar AFC Wimbledon 2 - 2 Charlton

2 Apr Doncaster 0 - 1 Charlton

10 Apr Sunderland 1 - 2 Charlton

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – currently in 9th place with 60 points

27 Mar Wigan Athletic 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

2 Apr Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Bristol Rovers

5 Apr Rochdale 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

10 Apr Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Milton Keynes

13 Apr AFC Wimbledon 3 - 0 Ipswich Town

Match Referee – Craig Hicks

CHARLTON ATHLETIC 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Charlton Athletic vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:15 am

How the hell is Nigel Adkins still in football? I mean that is TRUE love for the game. Double promotion with Southampton then SACKED.

Can only imagine how difficult these previews are becoming to write up and give your time too. This quote though........, "I expect some have already been approached or tapped up by other clubs, yes even as poor as most of them are this is the world of Football and some idiot somewhere will offer most of them deals........, yes, definitely the best explanation so far if the "down tools" theory is correct.

Thinking it'll be a convincing 4-0 Charlton win @ The Valley. Just cannot see how Cookie will negotiate anything at all. Only a Charlton "off day" will help Ipswich. Sad season......, but only 5 after this and then a summer of transfer market activity. Good times ahead.

I wonder if Cookie will bother with a holiday this year. Sitting on a sun lounger somewhere relaxing? Or a hundred things going round his head about the August start and "being ready"! What a shyte summer holiday that'll be for his Mrs.
"Darling, you want another beer?"
"So, you're saying he's out of contract when........, really? And when are Colchester releasing that other guy........"
"DARLING?"
"Aw, Mike, wait the now mate, the Mrs is shouting over......., WHAT?"
"A beer?"
"Yes love, please......, Sorry Mike, what about that guy from Solihull Moors?"

Ref Caption:
Player: Well Ref? Goal kick? Corner?
Ref: Well, you see. It is like this, we need to see VAR
Player: There is no VAR, Ref.
Ref: Yes. Well. Hmmm. Yes. Well. Yes. Hmmmm. Well, yes.

Nigel caption:
"How's it still nil nil? That is Ipswich over there! I've been sacked for way less!"

The opposition caption:
Controversial headline:
OLDER MAN IN FRONT ROW GETS JUNK OUT: MAN IN BLUE CAP WANTS HIS PHONE NUMBER

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:27 am

Top of the table clash a real 6 pointer .
Another must win game a defining moment in the season.
I sound like Paul Cook now... :wink: :lol:
Charlton win for me.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:28 am

We are awful at the moment and these players have completely given up. We will have to suffer through these last few games.

I have faith that Cook will be given the opportunity to clean house and bring in new blood that will play with pride for our, once great, club. Roll on next season.

In the meantime, because I'm an optimistic idiot, I've gone for a draw in this one.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:53 am

I really cant see how we can score, we have zero threat going forward and i dont think any of our strikers are either good enough or care enough to bother. Saying that, i still think there is a little pride in the defense. Chambers , Toto at least try hard even if they are sh*te. So i am going for a hard fought 0-0! Thats true optimism for you!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:19 am

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:28 am
We are awful at the moment and these players have completely given up. We will have to suffer through these last few games.

I have faith that Cook will be given the opportunity to clean house and bring in new blood that will play with pride for our, once great, club. Roll on next season.

In the meantime, because I'm an optimistic idiot, I've gone for a draw in this one.
I was gonna say what idiot put a draw !!!! :lol:

Just kidding JD

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:27 am

yes I cannot see us even scoring, let alone winning.

But I maintain that if - as some here have speculated - certain players have been told already that they are not part of next season's plans, then why play them now even if they are 'on paper' part of our strongest 11. It simply does not make any sense.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:44 am

The line up is going to be very telling after the Wimbledon debacle

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:17 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:00 am
I've smashed the mug. Im going for a 1-2 Town win.
I wish you'd smash Judge's mug - I'll even hold your coat for you :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 pm

As much as I want our youngsters to now replace these senior pillocks, whilst there is even a sniff of play offs ( I KNOW it wont happen, but mathematically it is still possible ), I don't think PC will be making wholesale changes, yet !

So the same shower of shyte will prevail unfortunately ...which leads me to the only conclusion , a Charlton win , by some margin...and as Gary has said , I doubt Town will even score a goal . Bunch of tossas the lot of 'em!

Charlton 3-0 winners

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:47 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 pm
As much as I want our youngsters to now replace these senior pillocks, whilst there is even a sniff of play offs ( I KNOW it wont happen, but mathematically it is still possible ), I don't think PC will be making wholesale changes, yet !

So the same shower of shyte will prevail unfortunately ...which leads me to the only conclusion , a Charlton win , by some margin...and as Gary has said , I doubt Town will even score a goal . Bunch of tossas the lot of 'em!

Charlton 3-0 winners
I think PC also knows we wont make play-offs Liz - but I guess you may well be right in that he may well think he HAS to try whilst there is still a mathematical chance :(

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:38 pm

Yes sadly I think he will be optimistic ( even if his players couldn’t give a flying one )...... another defeat should see the shackles off though ( I’d hope).

Or it could be he already knows what he wants going forward and has a lot of “ sacking” to do between now and end of season. Lol .

Strangely for the first time this week, I’ve suddenly got the feeling that Chambers might not be safe from the chop. We shall see.

There was a comment Chambers made that made me feel a little be wary of him for a change. He said he would do his best to keep the players in check ( or similar )... which made me think , hmmm who is in charge at this Club?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:21 pm

The 'addicks against a team of d1cks, there can only be one winner. Wouldn't be at all surprised if the team didn't register another victory this season. Not being pessimistic its the reality of the standard we're at. Can't score for trying, any shots on goal from us most likely to end up in Greenwich Park than the opposition goal. There really isn't much else to add to this issue until time of event.

Charlton. 2. ITFC. 0

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:01 pm

saint jude wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:21 pm
The 'addicks against a team of d1cks

Charlton. 2. ITFC. 0
Ha ha ha ain’t that the truth Saint

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:17 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:01 pm
saint jude wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:21 pm
The 'addicks against a team of d1cks

Charlton. 2. ITFC. 0
Ha ha ha ain’t that the truth Saint
It’s actually the Addicks, ——> and then Cookie will subtract some d!cks.

Hopefully. 👍

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:19 am

I was gonna say what idiot put a draw !!!! :lol:

Just kidding JD
:D No offence taken

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:36 am

hmmmm.......not the team I was hoping for - and Ward as captain? Whats that all about?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:44 am

rossi wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:36 am
hmmmm.......not the team I was hoping for - and Ward as captain? Whats that all about?
Thanks for that comment because I was expecting a 3pm kick off. Forgot about Phil. Better get the beers in quick.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:54 am

Not the changes I was expecting but hey ho, six more games to suffer with this lot.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:13 pm

Not totally understanding the selection. I get needing changes. Is this selection just filling in places and basically saying this season is gone and just looking to finish and that's it?

If so ok I can get that but not getting the captain selection. Yes of course Ward is the most senior player starting but personally I would of given the arm band to Downs and say you are right in my plans for next season and beyond if I was Paul Cook, that might of just boosted Downs in thinking of staying

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:30 pm

I can't understand playing loan players they won't be here next season saying that most of the others won't either.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:36 pm

Bishop playing in the central “ Judge roll” I see. Excellent 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:36 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:30 pm
I can't understand playing loan players they won't be here next season saying that most of the others won't either.
Unless PC I’d intending to try snd bring one or two of them back next season ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:37 pm

Nearly ahead 2nd minute but for good save by their keeper

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:57 pm

Oh look Norwood injured again :roll:

Bet that’s the last we ever see of him
Last edited by hallamblue on Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:57 pm

Get rid of Norwood ffs, crocked again, total waste of space

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:59 pm

Anyone else keep getting bounced out if iFollow for this game ? I’ve had to log in three times since kick off now !!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:04 pm

Holy...what was he doing?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:05 pm

Not sure who’s worse at losing possession, Edwards or Bennett’s .
Last edited by hallamblue on Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:57 pm
Get rid of Norwood ffs, crocked again, total waste of space
Yes indeed, he must be top of the list when it comes to trimming the fat