Demolition Man

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

Demolition Man

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:13 am

Love that quote by PC. Hopefully the days of players coming to ITFC for a easy ride are finally coming to an end.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Demolition Man

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:14 am

Yes indeed, I love this man
Town boss Paul Cook says he’ll be like Demolition Man over the next six weeks with the changes that are coming to Ipswich Town.

The Blues manager held little back at his morning press conference ahead of tomorrow’ game at Charlton Athletic.

Cook dismissed a rumour that on-loan Tottenham striker Troy Parrott had been sent back to the Premier League club and told reporters to expect more gossip along those lines in the weeks to come as he makes what will be very extensive changes to his squad.

“There’s no truth in that rumour,” he said. “What you guys will now get is a million rumours because, as you know, I will be like Demolition Man over the next six weeks. You will hear rumours on every player, every bust-up, everything that goes wrong.

“This is going to be a very unhappy club over the next two or three weeks because the changes are coming. When there are announcements on players, whether it be Troy Parrott, Luke Chambers, James Norwood, Kayden Jackson, the club will make announcements.

“One of the things we can’t stop today is social media, Twitter, all the outlets will spread rumours that unfortunately until we substantiate them won’t be true.

“But that’s what happens at big football clubs and at the minute I want to be very respectful and careful to every player at our club.

“These lads have all got families, all these lads have worked hard in their career to get to Ipswich Town and we must do things with a bit of class now. A little bit of class, irrespective of whether it’s Player A, Player B and all the way to Z. There’s a proper way to deal with stuff at football clubs.

“Me, as a manager of the club, it’s in-house, it’s done properly and our fans then know what we’re doing is exactly what they want for this football club.”

He added: “Our players are very, very aware of my feelings. If the whole squad didn’t want to come back from Wimbledon the other night, it wouldn’t have bothered me. I’d have got on with the season.

“It's where I’m at, I don’t really think I [need to say any more]. Obviously from you guys, I accept all the different stuff, all the players have agents and all the above. I couldn’t care less any more.”

Given that, might some of the younger players who are yet to feature play a part in the weeks to come? “If the 18 from Wimbledon don’t turn up, you’ll have to see more, won’t you? I think the new 18 would get more support than the other 18 from our supporters.

“All I’d say to our supporters is ‘stay with us for the rest of the season please’. There will be more pain. There has to be more pain, but for that pain to go, the sunshine will start coming through this summer at our club.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:19 am

Blues boss Paul Cook says he enjoyed meeting fans at the Greyhound pub in Henley Road on Monday evening and says there’s “fire in the belly” of Town supporters whose passion, anger and frustration he could feel.

“Brilliant, it was great,” Cook said. “It was [academy head of coaching and player development] Bryan Klug’s local, myself and Gary went to have a quick pint with Bryan. Bryan’s been very, very welcoming to the club.

“You can feel the passion of our supporters, you can also feel the anger and the frustration that’s there.

“Like I say, with the greatest respect, my managerial career is there in front of everyone’s eyes to see. It’s dead clear, I don’t need to come on here and say ‘I’ll do this and I’ll do that’. That’s not what I’m about.

“I love passionate cities and towns. I love football. I love going to away games to watch my team knowing how proud they are of the travelling fans [as they try to] to win the game.

“Ipswich Town fans, there’s fire in the belly, it’s ready to go, it’s ready to rock ’n roll. My job and the new CEO [Mark Ashton] and [chairman] Michael [O’Leary]’s job is to make those people proud.

“It won’t happen overnight, it can’t. I think there’s going to be more pain at the club over the next few weeks and I’m fully prepared for that pain.

“As you can imagine, our team will not be the same tomorrow as it was on Tuesday night. I am not putting up with it anymore.

“I will not throw any players under the bus, I will not say anything on here that I won’t say to people in dressing rooms. It’s not acceptable what we are offering up. Come the end of the season there will be a lot of change.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:26 am

We've needed this for years

Boss Paul Cook listed the aspects of Town’s play that he and assistant Gary Roberts have found frustrating in their first six weeks at Portman Road, and it was a pretty damning assessment.

Cook has made no secret that he has been less than impressed with what the squad he inherited from Paul Lambert have shown since he took charge with the Blues’ play-off push faltering having won just two of his 10 games in charge, while losing four and drawing four.

Asked how Roberts, who is in his first coaching position having still been a player at Accrington when Cook brought him to Portman Road, is settling into his new role, the Blues manager said: “He’s not very happy. He’s not very pleased. He’s very disappointed with the quality of player we have in the building.

“What we’re saying to our lads now is ‘someone please step up to the plate, anyone, whoever wants to step up to the plate to be here and stay with us in the future, for years or months or days that we’re here’.

“I don’t know how long I’ll be Ipswich manager. I don’t know how long the new owners will trust me for.

“For me to renew players’ contracts and keep people at the club, I’ve got to trust them. At all my teams historically I have had 10, 12, 15 players at every club that I trust. I don’t have that at Ipswich Town and I think Gary’s found that really frustrating.

“That we don’t put crosses in the box, we don’t create chances, we don’t defend well, we don’t defend set pieces well, we don’t retain possession of the ball, we’re not very fit, we’re not very athletic. You can write a list of what we’re not really good at.

“So to say Gary’s not really happy, you can imagine it’s quite similar to the mood I’m in today. It’s a lovely day in Suffolk and by the time I’ve finished with you [the media] I will smile, I will be a happy manager and I will travel to Charlton with all the enthusiasm in the world.

“But we’re not going to start putting on faces now for people and say everything’s rosy in our camp. Everything is not rosy in this camp.”

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:28 am

That we don’t put crosses in the box, we don’t create chances, we don’t defend well, we don’t defend set pieces well, we don’t retain possession of the ball, we’re not very fit, we’re not very athletic. You can write a list of what we’re not really good at.

Now come on Paul apart from that everything is fine, seriously I just hope the owners give him time I'm sure he is the right man to take us forward.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:36 am

This guy is not messing around. It’s right, though. As Shed says, too many have come here for an easy ride.

And these new owners and the new CEO aren’t going to f*ck around. These are serious players and they’re not going to invest millions each year for no return.

I bet around the football world, this club has a reputation as a soft touch whether it’s on the field or off.

I’d imagine the mood at the training ground is not pretty.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:44 am

That has brightened my day! Just what I wanted to read & the man has it spot on imo.
Looking forward to the revolution 😁

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:07 am

mugen1 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:44 am
That has brightened my day! Just what I wanted to read & the man has it spot on imo.
Looking forward to the revolution 😁
Mine too :D . This is the most refreshing topic i have read on here for years.
The comments are very much in line with how many of our supporters feel from watching the lame performances, especially of late.
PC is a total breath of fresh air. Maybe now we can read into how weak the PL regime actually was?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:14 am

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:36 am
This guy is not messing around. It’s right, though. As Shed says, too many have come here for an easy ride.

And these new owners and the new CEO aren’t going to f*ck around. These are serious players and they’re not going to invest millions each year for no return.

I bet around the football world, this club has a reputation as a soft touch whether it’s on the field or off.

I’d imagine the mood at the training ground is not pretty.
That would not surprise me one bit.
I remember our last game in the Championship against Leeds and the reception Lambert and the players got after the game from the fans. After the season we had endured and the apparent lack of fight to prevent relegation the supporters still showed their support for the players and manager. At a lot of clubs they probably wouldn't have even dared come out to face the fans. Perhaps this made some of them think we can get away with anything at this club.
Anyhow, it certainly looks like things are about to change.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:28 am

Well well, the man means business & rightly so. There must be some very concerned players at the moment, but they have had their chances & blown them.

I think with PC & Ashton we will be a force to be reckoned with. I can't wait.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:55 am

well I like him a lot more now - he's absolutely right of course, and now he HAS openly criticized the players we may well have seen the last of more than just Judge

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:17 pm

rossi wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:55 am
well I like him a lot more now - he's absolutely right of course, and now he HAS openly criticized the players we may well have seen the last of more than just Judge
Totally spot on

A manager doesn't openly come out and say what he as without the chopper being used. Good on PC.

What I just don't understand is these players attitudes, apart from very few of them who has come out and put effort in like Downs. Truthfully just totally bewildered at the others who simply show they couldn't care less. I know some no doubt already been touted by next club but I wouldn't take many, if any of them on. Like PC said, just don't trust them

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:12 pm

but I think that most of the players who have been here more than a season have been allowed to develop that apathetic don't-care attitude, and once it takes root it's bloody difficult to shift as I know well from experience

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:30 pm

rossi wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:12 pm
but I think that most of the players who have been here more than a season have been allowed to develop that apathetic don't-care attitude, and once it takes root it's bloody difficult to shift as I know well from experience
rossi
I think that attitude has been around the club for a long time, I remember the comment made by Shane Supple when he left the club.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:30 pm

Pryzbek returns from Chesterfield.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-ne ... field-loan

He has gone back,” Chesterfield manager James Rowe told the Derbyshire Times. “I keep reiterating we need the right personnel for the culture I am trying to build here and he did not fit into that.”

Is this National Let’s Sh*t on Ipswich Players Day today? Not many good words are being said about our footballers today.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:36 pm

The players have needed this for a long time. They are not good enough for Ipswich Town FC. It's finally a reality check for them, and I'm interested to see if any of them even attempt to change opinions. I doubt it. :astroll:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:40 pm

Woolfenden coming out and saying he's had an average season, average I could just about deal with !!! Sorry its been garbage. . Get rid !!!!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:52 pm

All the right noises coming from Cook, we did hear one or two similar ideas from Lambert coming in, but Cook actually may have the infrastructure in place to pull it off now that Evans is out of the way.

It is risky having such a huge overhaul of a first team squad, we had a glimpse of that with Hurst. I'm not expecting great things from day 1 next season, I won't use the gel word, I think it's a bigger rebuild than that, it's a project. Agents and clubs will take the p*ss with contracts and valuations, it's not going to be easy in the slightest, lots of hard work to be done this summer, I don't envy those whose job it is to turn this ship around.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:10 pm

Well said Mr Cook, bet he that has caused a few brown pant moments this week and rightly so, cannot say he has not given them all a chance to prove themselves.

Ricco I think an overhaul is always risky but when your big end goes you have little choice, a full rebuild, I think it will be positive. Unlike Hurst I think we will be aiming a bit higher to Championship players (but all depends on fees/wages etc I know), whereas Hurst he dropped a knacker getting to many in from the lower league, bargains so we thought at the time but when you buy tat you get the resultant quality with that. It needs to be a balanced approach and I bet he already has a good idea who will be coming our way, PC will do a good job.

I am looking forward to this new chapter and I bet the staff will be too, exciting times.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:15 pm

If Cook is Demolition can Hurst, Lambert, McCarthy, Keane and Jewell et cetera be the Natural Disasters and The Evans Group the Legion of Doom.

Looks like a case of you can talk the talk but can you walk it. All very well making proclamation and what you envisage for the future but right now the club is at an as*-end of a sorry mess. For continuity sake would suggest the manager accepts this season is over and the real work begins from August and beyond. Appears one or two (high profile) playing names have left the club last few days but would have kept them on myself until end of season. Don't the see the reason for moving names out when the last few games are of no value. Get the dead-wood out in the summer by all means but to undertake certain duties now, don't always see the logic in it.

Bottom line, and to encapsulate a number of major issues, this club has been too lenient in terms of ownership and managerial appointments over enough time. Soft as sh*t some of the names we've had come in expected to improve the team or get things done. It needs a certain degree of ruthless aggression for any business to be successful and we here are no exception. I believe we've been so lenient and soft-assed the last decade and more it's simply held us back in terms of actual progression.

Whether Cook and the Gamechanger Group are the individuals to steel things up and provide spine is open to debate, but at least people at the club are speaking out and declaring their intent. It's all about backing up words with productivity. Not suggesting for one moment they can't do it or it won't be done but this is a platform for opinion right or wrong. Really would like to be involved once again in the not too far future rooting for a team that can once again be recognized, only this time, for the right reasons.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:26 pm

Ricco wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:52 pm
All the right noises coming from Cook, we did hear one or two similar ideas from Lambert coming in, but Cook actually may have the infrastructure in place to pull it off now that Evans is out of the way.

It is risky having such a huge overhaul of a first team squad, we had a glimpse of that with Hurst. I'm not expecting great things from day 1 next season, I won't use the gel word, I think it's a bigger rebuild than that, it's a project. Agents and clubs will take the p*ss with contracts and valuations, it's not going to be easy in the slightest, lots of hard work to be done this summer, I don't envy those whose job it is to turn this ship around.
I'm hoping this is where Ashton's experience will come in handy. I agree though, agents will be rubbing their hands together & showing dollar signs in their eyes.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:40 pm
Woolfenden coming out and saying he's had an average season, average I could just about deal with !!! Sorry its been garbage. . Get rid !!!!
I would actually keep woolfie. Yes he’s been sh*t this season, but last he showed real promise , and with the right backing and culture I think he can be a good player for us again.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:09 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:41 pm
Bluemike wrote:
I would actually keep woolfie. Yes he’s been sh*t this season, but last he showed real promise , and with the right backing and culture I think he can be a good player for us again.
If we do keep him I think he needs to be third choice at best and another spell on loan wouldn't be a bad thing either.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:11 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:30 pm
rossi wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:12 pm
rossi
I think that attitude has been around the club for a long time, I remember the comment made by Shane Supple when he left the club.
Agreed. Such a shame that, Shane clearly did care and it just ground him down from what I've read :(

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:18 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:41 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Yes, last season he was good. At his age, he’s got a chance to put one bad season behind him. He’s under contract and I expect Woolfy to stay. He needs a rocket up his arse and if he’s looking around at the carnage at the moment, it might do him some good.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:28 am

I think just about every single Town fan is 100% behind Paul Cook and the Club in getting rid of this group of players. On reflection I think Hurst had also sussed out the culture at this Club, and tried on his on way to start sort it. The problem was he had no experience of Championship level players, or the standard required. He also , crucially, did not have the interest or full backing of Marcus Evans. The senior players at this Club, and I’m going name them now ( Chambers and probably Skuse too), we’re having none of it . Hurst didn’t last more than 6 weeks.

Come forward to Paul Cook’s appointment, I don’t think he’d have a hope in hell of doing what he’s now doing if it was still under Evans ownership.

Today is a brand new day ....a brand new era . OMG I and thousands of other Town fans have waited for this day to arrive. I can’t wait for the summer and next season now . Bring .it. On. 👍 🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🥳

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:13 am

Yeah great that he seemingly has the ability to reshape the squad. I'm sure and hope he'll be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater

No one can look great in a team playing this poorly, the temptation is a blank canvas, but we don't want to get rid of players that can succeed in the right environment.

osborne77

Post by osborne77 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:28 am

Like many, I’m feeling more positive about ITFC right now than I have done for years. We’ve always been a ‘nice’ club going back to the Cobbolds but somewhere along the line, that changed from treating people well and conducting business fairly to just being a bit too soft for what is an aggressive and challenging game.

I haven’t been much for years or forked out to watch a game all season as I was getting too angry watching people who are paid thousands a week and clearly care so much less about the club than I do. I now largely just shout at the radio instead!

Root and branch change is needed at Portman Rd and encouragingly, we finally seem to be getting the key people in place with the backing to do this properly. It is however, a huge job. I really like the language coming from PC and sincerely hope that the new owners and more importantly the fans give him the time to do this properly and don’t have unrealistic expectations that these words will quickly translate into results. Obviously, I hope that they do but even the great Bobby Robson started slowly for the first few seasons. I know things have changed in the modern world but I for one will be backing PC until he’s had a few transfer windows where he’s been supported by the owners, regardless of results.

I agree with others that a complete clear out all at once is a big risk and there are probably a few current players who, with a change in attitude, we could get a lot more out of. We’re unlikely to be able to move many on for much money though and even though we should see a bit of front loading of the investment from the new owners, I doubt we’ll see the level we’d need for a complete squad rebuild straight away.

This club desperately needs change and we’ve had a few false dawns before but it really feels different this time. COYB.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:07 pm

Super post Osborne and I agree 👍
Keep posting

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:56 pm

Welcome Osborne 👍 good to see a new poster .. any relation to Roger ?