Ipswich Town vs AFC Wimbledon Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we even score a goal???

Ipswich Win
14%
Wimbledon Win
57%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 14

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs AFC Wimbledon Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:16 pm

Image Ipswich Town v AFC WimbledonImage

Saturday 24th April 2021 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

There Are No More Words........

Finding things to say every week is becoming virtually impossible, it is a repetitive nightmare littered with doom and gloom as One by One the games get ticked off and week after week the situation gets even more embarrassing, Northampton being the latest club to inflict defeat on Town when so much more is expected, in fact is it expected anymore ? Surely we are expecting defeat rather than victory nowadays. The Cobblers followed in the footsteps of AFC Wimbledon, Rochdale, Wigan, MK Dons and just about everyone else in showing us up for what we are, gutless, spineless, talentless, hopeless, a group of players devoid of self respect and professionalism, they really have stooped that low.

I just do not buy that we can suddenly fail to score week after week after week against the poorest teams this League has to offer, something stinks and it's not just the pile of crap dressed in Blue that crawls around the pitch, we all join in these discussions about whether or not the players have actually downed tools or if they really are this bad, now while I do think we are bloody hopeless to a man, I still think we are better than what is being portrayed on the pitch, it is nothing short of criminal the way these poor excuse of Footballers are throwing Paul Cook under the bus because for me that is exactly what has happened.

The actions of the squad has got some fans already questioning Cook's ability as Town boss and while I don't agree with it I totally get why some feel that way, the performances, results and squad togetherness have all clearly gone backwards and Cook himself has said it stops at his door, well I am sorry not for me it doesn't, they are very much the ones to blame, yes he could have picked different teams but let's be honest here, he HAS tried different teams, different formations, used certain players with others to try combinations and yet absolutely nothing has worked, simply because they don't want it to work !!

The fact Paul Cook came out and told them what he thought of them, and let's be honest it is something we have ALL been craving for for some time now, they have had their noses put out of joint and their attitude questioned, not to mention their integrity and ability, I think there must have been a team meeting without Cook to determine a "go slow" in the remaining games, just my thoughts but I bet it is not far from the truth, it cannot just get this bad overnight, it doesn't add up.

The last Four games are meaningless, I hope this time around Cook does shake it up even more with some youngsters getting the nod alongside the very few who may be here next season. More importantly than that I hope to go that the new Owners see through this fiasco and are not tempted to more Knee jerk reactions, I am sure that won't be the case but such is the uneasiness with which Town fans judge things these days some damage could already have been done by these departing, talentless bunch of no marks. I too am disappointed at the way Cook's tenure has gone so far but his record dictates this is not a normal situation and once he stamps his mark on things we will see a very different ITFC, Gamechanger & Mike O' Leary won't wait forever, things have to improve if their Millions are going to count for anything, I think we will see it start to happen come next August, in the meantime, patience is a virtue, Rome wasn't built in a day and this is infinitely bigger than Rome. COYB'S

The Opposition – AFC Wimbledon

On 28 May 2002, the Football Association backed a 2–1 decision by the three-man independent, arbitration commission they had appointed to allow Wimbledon F.C. to relocate north to the new town of Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire; a decision influenced, among other factors, by claims from Wimbledon chairman Charles Koppel that such a move was necessary in order to prevent the club from going bankrupt. The F.A. forbade any right of appeal against the decision.

Although the absence of a ground in Milton Keynes meeting Football League criteria meant that the club were unable to physically move for over a year, major organised protests at the decision continued to be held by Wimbledon's traditional local support and a boycott of the club's home matches at Selhurst Park meant attendances dwindled immediately.

Following the F.A.'s announcement of their decision, a group of Wimbledon supporters led by Kris Stewart and fellow founding members Marc Jones and Trevor Williams met in The Fox and Grapes pub on Wimbledon Common to plan what was to be done next as part of the protest. It was agreed that as there was no right of appeal, the only option was to start the club again from scratch. On 30 May 2002 the idea was put forward in a Wimbledon Independent Supporters' Association meeting to create a new community-based club named AFC Wimbledon and an appeal for funds was launched.

On 13 June 2002, a new manager, a playing strip and badge based on that of the original Wimbledon FC, and a stadium were unveiled to fans and the media at the packed-out Wimbledon Community Centre. In order to assemble a competitive team at very short notice, AFC Wimbledon held player trials on 29 June 2002 on Wimbledon Common, open to any unattached player who felt he was good enough to try out for the team. The event attracted 230 hopeful players, from whom the club's squad for their inaugural season was eventually chosen.

In the 2002–03 season, AFC Wimbledon competed in the Combined Counties League Premier Division under the management of former Wimbledon F.C. player Terry Eames, who was appointed on 13 June 2002. Their first ever game, a pre-season friendly against Sutton United on 10 July 2002, resulted in a 4–0 loss in front of a crowd of 4,657. At the end of their debut season, AFC Wimbledon finished third in the league and narrowly failed to win promotion to the Isthmian League First Division, despite a strong end to the season that involved winning their final 11 league fixtures.

In 2003–04, AFC Wimbledon won their first 21 league games before a 2–2 draw against Sandhurst Town on 10 January 2004, giving them 32 consecutive wins in league games over two seasons. Manager Terry Eames was suspended on 13 February 2004 and sacked five days later on the grounds of gross misconduct, after evidence was produced which showed him to have firstly made unauthorised and untrue representations to a number of the coaching staff, secondly, that he had falsely informed members of the coaching staff that the club had decided not to support his plans for youth football and required him to make immediate budgetary cut-backs and thirdly that he dispensed with the services of members of the coaching staff citing untrue reasons. Assistant manager Nick English took charge with immediate effect. The team went on to finish as champions of the Combined Counties League with an unbeaten record for the season of 42 wins and four draws.

Dave Anderson was appointed as new manager on 11 May 2004. Under his leadership AFC Wimbledon took their good form into the 2004–05 season during which they competed in the Isthmian League First Division — they remained top of the division for the duration of the season, and were convincing title-winners, sealing promotion to the League's Premier Division. Over the course of the season, AFC Wimbledon set a new record for the longest run of unbeaten league games at any level of senior football in the United Kingdom. The team remained unbeaten for 78 league matches between 22 February 2003 (a 2–0 defeat at home to Withdean 2000) and 4 December 2004 (a 2–0 defeat at Cray Wanderers).

The 2005–06 season proved far more competitive than previous seasons – as after winning their first few games, AFC Wimbledon found themselves struggling to remain in the play-off places. However, a 2–1 defeat at Fisher Athletic on 2 May 2006 prevented the club from achieving three back-to-back promotions.

Much of the 2006–07 season was overshadowed by the threat of a proposed 18-point deduction by the FA for the club's fielding of Jermaine Darlington who, it transpired, had not been registered correctly by the club and had therefore played in three games whilst still officially ineligible. However, this punishment was eventually reduced to a three-point deduction and a £400 fine on appeal, after the FA finally acknowledged that the club had made a simple administrative error. Although AFC Wimbledon did enough to qualify for the play-offs, they once again missed out on promotion, this time as a result of losing 1–0 to Bromley in the play-off semi-final on 1 May 2007. Manager Dave Anderson subsequently left the club by mutual consent on 2 May 2007.

Terry Brown was appointed as the new AFC Wimbledon manager on 15 May 2007. During 2007–08, he led the club to promotion to the Conference South in his first season in charge, a feat which predecessor Dave Anderson had proved unable to achieve, having lost two consecutive play-off final opportunities in the previous two seasons. The Dons made steady progress throughout the season, qualifying for the play-offs after finishing third in the League and going through to win the play-off final.
AFC Wimbledon spent most of the 2008–09 season near the top of the league table, eventually finishing as champions and earning promotion to the Conference Premier.

The 2009–10 season was the club's first in the Conference Premier. Overall the Dons finished eighth, 14 points short of the play-off zone. This was the first season in which the club had failed to make the top five in the league table.

In 2010–11 AFC Wimbledon finished as runners-up of the Conference Premier, qualifying for the play-offs and reaching the play-off final. In the play-off final at the City of Manchester Stadium on 21 May 2011, in front of a crowd of 18,195, AFC Wimbledon beat Luton Town 4–3 in a penalty shoot-out, after the match had ended 0–0 in extra time. The victory resulted in promotion to the Football League for the first time and represented the club's fifth promotion in nine years. The club's achievement of attaining League status after just nine seasons of existence is considered to be one of the fastest ascents for a new club since automatic promotion to the Football League first commenced in the 1980s. AFC Wimbledon also hold the record of being the first club to be formed in the 21st century to make it into the Football League, making them the youngest club in the Football League by some distance.

The 2011–12 season saw AFC Wimbledon's promotion to League Two. The team started the season well, winning seven out of their first 12 matches, but failed to keep the momentum going and had a poor run, eventually finishing the season ranking 16th, 10 points clear of the relegation zone.

The 2012–13 campaign marked the 10th anniversary of AFC Wimbledon's inaugural season. After an abysmal start to the season, manager Terry Brown was sacked on 19 September 2012 along with assistant manager Stuart Cash, with AFC Wimbledon sitting just above the relegation zone.

First team coach Simon Bassey took over as caretaker manager with immediate effect. Bassey was in charge just four matches, however, before former Wimbledon player Neal Ardley was appointed as Terry Brown's permanent replacement on 10 October 2012. The Dons secured their Football League status on the final day of the 2012–13 season, despite having started the day in the relegation zone.

In the 2013–14 season the club had a disappointing season overall, only managing to replicate the 20th placed league finish of the season before after the club were docked three points for the ineligible fielding of Jake Nicholson after failing to obtain international clearance for him after he joined from Scottish Championship side Greenock Morton on 19 February 2014.

The 2014–15 season saw AFC Wimbledon finished the season in a mediocre 15th place after a disappointing run of form saw them finish the season without a win in their last eight league fixtures.

The 2015–16 season was AFC Wimbledon's fifth consecutive season in League Two. Despite getting the season off to a mediocre start, the Dons finished the season strongly, winning seven out of their last 10 league matches to ensure that the club would confirm their highest ever League Two finish of seventh place and qualification to the 2016 Football League play-offs. They beat Accrington Stanley in the Semi’s and this win earned them a place in the play-off final at Wembley Stadium against Plymouth Argyle. The fixture was scheduled for 30 May 2016, exactly 14 years to the day since the club's foundation. AFC Wimbledon ultimately triumphed 2–0 on the day in front of a crowd of 57,956.

The 2016–17 season saw AFC Wimbledon compete in League One for the first time in their history. Promotion also placed AFC Wimbledon in the same division as Milton Keynes Dons, who had simultaneously been relegated from the Championship. This ensured the club would face Milton Keynes Dons for the first time at Kingsmeadow which they did on 14 March 2017, going on to triumph 2–0. The club ultimately finished 15th in the league, after a disappointing slump saw them win just five out of their last 22 league matches between January and April.

AFC Wimbledon made an equally slow start to the 2017–18 campaign, managing just five wins in their first 20 league matches between August and December. On 13 December 2017, the club received a further boost after being granted permission to begin work on constructing a new 11,000-seater stadium (which could be expanded to hold up to 20,000 in the future) on the site of Wimbledon Greyhound Stadium. The club was eventually able to secure another season in League One with a draw in their penultimate game, meaning that for the first time, AFC Wimbledon would be playing in a higher division than the Milton Keynes Dons, who were relegated that season.

AFC Wimbledon saw a disastrous start to the 2018–19 season, losing twelve of their first seventeen league games. Manager Neal Ardley departed the club by mutual agreement on 12 November 2018 after a tenure of 6 years, 1 month, 2 days, making him the longest serving manager to date. Ardley was replaced by Wally Downes. After being rooted to the bottom of the table for most of 2019, they lost only 1 of their last 12 league games to lift them out of the relegation zone, ultimately staying up on goal difference on the last day of the season after a 0–0 draw with already relegated Bradford City.

On 25 September 2019, Glyn Hodges took over the management of the first team on a temporary basis following the suspension of Wally Downes after being charged by the FA for betting misconduct.

On 30 January 2021, following the sacking of Glyn Hodges, Mark Robinson was appointed interim manager of Wimbledon after serving the club in various academy and coaching roles. On 17 February 2021, AFC Wimbledon announced the appointment of Robinson on a permanent basis.

Last season the Dons finished just outside the relegation zone in 20th place.

The Manager – Mark Robinson

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 11th place with 61 points

5 Apr Rochdale 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

10 Apr Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Milton Keynes

13 Apr AFC Wimbledon 3 - 0 Ipswich Town

17 Apr Charlton 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

20 Apr Northampton 3 - 0 Ipswich Town

AFC Wimbledon Last 5 Matches - Currently in 19th place with 48 points

5 Apr AFC Wimbledon 0 - 1 Fleetwood

10 Apr Accrington 1 - 5 AFC Wimbledon

13 Apr AFC Wimbledon 3 - 0 Ipswich Town

17 Apr AFC Wimbledon 4 - 1 Swindon Town

20 Apr AFC Wimbledon 2 - 1 Oxford Utd

Match Referee – Ollie Yates

IPSWICH TOWN 1 AFC WIMBLEDON 1

JOHN DEERE

Re: Ipswich Town vs AFC Wimbledon Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JOHN DEERE » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:12 pm

Hard to see anything other than a loss here. The players have really let us down and seem uninterested in even trying anymore. Wimbledon to win 2-0.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:52 am

Even with all these recent shambolic performances and results, a part of me still considered a 1-0 Ipswich win! However, i just looked at Wimbledon's recent record since their eye opening win at Accrington and it seems they have stumbled on a winning formula; An unbeaten streak, 14 goals scored in 4 games (3.5 per game) with just 3 conceded. Their confidence must be running sky high, especially having recent beaten us easily.
Normally i would say any team beaten like this would be looking for quick revenge and settling a score, but this is a pathetic squad of Ipswich players who appear to have no qualms about picking up their sizeable pay packets for doing sweet FA. Must be another night of embarrassment at PR. To think we used to use the term Fortress when speaking of our ground, "Sandcastle" is probably more appropriate these days!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:50 am

Very sad, Balls but yes, very realistic....... Ipswich Town are incredibly sH!t and Wimbledon, (recent form) are decent. Really can’t see how a team who are clicking can be beaten by the Portman Road shambles.
2-0 home defeat.

Ref caption:

Where is your mask?
Where’s yours?
I asked first.
I asked second.

Ref then asks Robinson......

Where’s your mask?
I’m vaping.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:41 pm

I said before Tuesday's game that I didn't expect us to score again this season, and saw nothing in the game to make me change my mind. Wimbledon, however, are scoring quite a lot lately:

Ipswich 0 - Wimbledon 3

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:10 pm

Two of us were quite ballsy and went for a draw.

If the person who accidentally clicked Town win PM’s me I can correct your selection! :wink: :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:59 pm

Did not vote as just about lost interest at this stage. Why not play Wimbledon every game until end of season how many times now you can lose count. Team is sh*t, players give a rat's as*, if Amelia Earhart landed her plane on the field during course of contest it would fail to further interest.

Somehow think a win will come our way, it's not possible those pricks can go another game without scoring : a goal has to come from somewhere but it's all far too little too late. Anyone chooses to part with money to view it admre the loyalty but think you're confusing allegiance with time wasting and stupidity.

Ipswich 2 Wimbledon 1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:06 pm

It's the hope that kills you.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:17 pm

Dons win ( 0-3), this shower of shyte at Town aren’t interested, so I’m not expecting any level of performance. I bloody hate the lot of them now . Tossa’s!!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:57 am

0-0 - night night

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:59 am

As far as I’m concerned Town players have decided not to accept either Paul Cook or the new owners and are taking their own form of industrial action by way of not trying. I guess it just highlights how thick most of them must be to force the owners not to renew their contracts as getting a new one elsewhere won’t be easy especially after recent performances.

At best 0-0 today, but to be honest I’m past caring and just want this season over

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:36 am

As they’re mostly in the prime of their careers, this is what will happen. They’ll all disappear to other clubs and do ok. Players like Gwion Edwards is not even close to the end of his career and he’ll do ok elsewhere. A fair few of them will be ok. And it’ll prove that Borussia Lambo is an absolute airhead with selection, formation, tactic and substitution. Let’s face it, Canaries aside, he’s done sweet FA as a manager.

Not disputing that “IF” the current players are downing tools, ——>> that’s not wise at all.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:08 pm

well I'm going against the majority and predicting a convincing Town win, 3-0. heads up. the tide is about to turn, and no its not a tsunami coming Marco :wink:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:49 pm

With all the talk going on.... I kind of expect Skuse to start today. Maybe even up front.... couldn’t hurt.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:00 pm

Just watching Tosn players take to the pitch makes me think we’re already in got a pretty inept performance again this afternoon. Body language appears very subdued to me . But we shall see ....

COYBs 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:05 pm

Another keeper rooted to the spot instead of claiming a routine cross

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:09 pm

I do wonder why Bennett’s keeps getting picked . Where the hell is Lankester ? 🤷‍♀️Or are the rumours that he’s on his way true ? If find it very disappointing if this were the case tbh , unless it’s a medical thing ( his spinal issues ?)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:12 pm

Maybe Bennetts actually shows the right attitude all week in training? The thing is we don't see all this during the week.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:12 pm

Just where the hell us our GK in that 6 yard area ? He’s just coming out for anything is he

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:14 pm

f*ck me, and people think Holys bad, this guy is lost.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:14 pm

You can just see, as soon as we concede , our heads will go down and we will lose by 3 or 4. There’s zero spine in this squad of players

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:16 pm

Bloody hell, Bennett’s is useless

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:16 pm

Cornell is absolutely rooted to that goal line - why ??

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:17 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:16 pm
Yes he is ... so why is he in this team ahead of Lankester ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:18 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
What a miss lol

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:19 pm

f**king RIDICULOUS!!! cutting us apart !!! Can people not see Edwards just gave that bloody ball away deliberately I swear.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:19 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:17 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
Yes he is ... so why is he in this team ahead of Lankester ?
I only wish I knew

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:20 pm

It’s only a matter of time isn’t it :roll:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:19 pm
f**king RIDICULOUS!!! cutting us apart !!! Can people not see Edwards just gave that bloody ball away deliberately I swear.
He loses possession far more than he ever provides a threat . Don’t really know why he’s in the team either tbh cuz he’s gone in June for sure

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:22 pm

Penalty for Dons ffs