Ipswich Town vs AFC Wimbledon Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we even score a goal???

Ipswich Win
14%
Wimbledon Win
57%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 14

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs AFC Wimbledon Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:13 pm

We may have looked better second half but if that is what we aspire to these days then God help us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:33 pm

Ipswich Town manager Paul Cook once again slammed his players following this afternoon's goalless home draw with AFC Wimbledon.

The Blues have now drawn five of their last eight games 0-0, gone more than 10 hours without scoring and remain 11th in the League One table with a record of W2 D6 L5 since Cook replaced Paul Lambert in the hot seat.

"I know I can't shut up, and I've got to be careful, because I don't want to go on, so I'll try and be as brief as I can," said Cook.

"First half is possibly, and I've got to have a good memory, the worst performance of one of my teams that I have ever seen in my whole managerial career.

"I've never seen a team play like that, I've never seen a team lack every quality on a football pitch, including the biggest one - honesty - including winning contact, winning second ball, doing basic stuff well.

"It's so disappointing, but nothing will sort of sway me now. I've been of a mindset for a period of time now, probably before Marcus (Evans) left the club and the new ownership came in, with what needed to happen. The plans behind the scenes haven't changed.

"I just feel like we're not far off a Sunday League team that has won a cup to come and play at Portman Road. Are you with me?

"You look at the stadium being empty and you're so thankful that it is empty because the first half was an absolute shambles of a performance. 

"Second half I felt we were honest. We done a lot better. Dobs (Armando Dobra) came on and gave us a lift by just purely wanting to play football and be a kid who loves football. You look at some of ours and it's like they don't like being footballers. Well they won't have to wait much longer for that to happen."

Cook was visibly raging on the sidelines during the first half. Asked what he said to the players at half-time, he replied: "Listen, I'm not coming out to say that. I'll give you my honest assessment, as I always will.

"I'm the manager of this football team and I can't stand watching us play. That breaks my heart. That team does not epitomise what I like about the game. It's the total opposite."

On his team now going more than 10 hours without scoring, the Blues boss quipped: "I would imagine it will be... How long's left? Three 90s, that's 27... I reckon our fans are going to have to get ready for more.

"We had a couple of chances second half. Keanan Bennetts has gone clean through in the first half and you can see sometimes when we get in those positions that our confidence isn't there.

"That's something you can speak about forever. Confidence, confidence... It becomes boring. Go and be the one who does it. Go and be the one who gains confidence by scoring.

"There's been enough excuses around here now. Do you know what I mean?

"I'm only coming out here now... I might even ban you all for the next three games because it's going to be actually quite pointless isn't it? It's pointless me coming out and trying to show I'm the tough guy.

"I don't like watching us play. I don't think that team represents me. I think they're soft, I think we lack character and I think we lack big players.

"I hope and I pray that I'm the one who can change that."

He added: "We've got two weeks to go of a season that has fallen completely flat. And that's under me. We were in a really good position and have wilted to being a really soft and easy to beat.

"Teams like Wimbledon come to Portman Road and from the first minute they are probably the better team on the pitch - and that's sad. No disrespect to Wimbledon by the way, please don't take those comments wrong, but it's sad that we offer not a lot."

On his decision to replace keeper Tomas Holy with David Cornell, Cook said: "I think you've seen it. Big Oli (Hawkins) came in and did okay. He's as honest as day at the top end of the pitch. Dai made a few saves, including the penalty. But I think in general now we've seen everybody. You guys have seen them more than me.

"There will be no stupid statements from me. I think I've made one or two there haven't I when I look back? I don't think I need to make any more."

It was then put to Cook that he had insisted that there would be 'no more criticism of the players' following Tuesday night's 3-0 loss at Northampton. Have they just made it impossible for him to stick to that promise today?

"It has to stop doesn't it?" he said. "You know me, you've been around me a little bit, I'll be as honest as I can. I've enjoyed managing. I was out of work for eight, nine months and I couldn't wait to get back in. The way my team is playing at the minute I'll be out of work again pretty soon. That's not me. I don't represent the football club like that. The players are representing us at the minute.

"I know the fans know that. Whatever I say now can't change anything.

"I'm going to try and be a little bit quieter now and not discuss everything that you might need me to. Let's just wait for the changes to come."

Speaking in his interview with the club website, Cook said: "There was no fight, no desire. It's like we've won a raffle to play at this ground. And it's all on me.

"I find it really baffling and really strange that we all have the privilege to be at this club and we turn up and out in a non performance like that.

"I think a lot of people have left the building haven't they? And that's sad.

"I feel sorry for our fans watching on iFollow. I think Marcus (Evans) told me there were 10,000 watching some of the first games. I wouldn't want to know the figure now because I'm sure the fans have something better to do than watch us."  

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:34 pm

As honest and correct as ever, I don't expect too many more interviews from him now though and that's probably sensible given the circumstances

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:46 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:34 pm
As honest and correct as ever, I don't expect too many more interviews from him now though and that's probably sensible given the circumstances
I totally agree with you, Mike.

The players have had their chances and blown it. Their massaged egos' just can't cope with the reality & they react as they have done. Very sad.

I wish Paul Cook the best of luck now that he is starting to prepare us for next season & beyond. Nothing can be as bad as what he inherired.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:16 pm

The 'tweeters' are already condemning Cook again. :astroll:

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:50 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:16 pm
The 'tweeters' are already condemning Cook again. :astroll:
What very sad & ridiculous people they are.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:57 pm

Like I said before, let these fantastic fans have their day, they will change in an instant if and when things turn for the better.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:53 pm

I think it’s clear to see Paul Cook has “ had it “ with this squad/ team now hasn’t he. Can’t say I blame him. He’s tried so many formations and combinations etc to try and get the best out of them, and the players are quite clearly not interested.

I think for all concerned the season cant end quick enough.

If I was PC, I’d keep just 20 players at the club now to see the season out, and tell the rest to just f*ck off.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:58 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:08 pm
well I'm going against the majority and predicting a convincing Town win, 3-0. heads up. the tide is about to turn, and no its not a tsunami coming Marco :wink:
Sorry lads and lases, was only wishful thinking on my part, this whole season needs forgetting, I'll get me coat :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:07 pm

John you’d have to see it to believe just how bad this team are now.

Season cant end quick enough ...for everyone.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:43 pm

Roll on August and let's hope Cook can get the players in early so they can get a good start to the season and forget about this one.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:51 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:07 pm
John you’d have to see it to believe just how bad this team are now.

Season cant end quick enough ...for everyone.
you'd never think this could possibly happen to a club like the Town, But you will come back, I've been there and got the tee shirt Lis, i have seen our players throw there shirts into the crowd as a keepsake and the fans throw them back,

not sure if Cookie is the man but he needs a season with his own choice of squad to see,

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:55 pm

I’m still shocked by what Edward’s did with his free kicks and corners today. He must have been doing it on purpose. Shocking...

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Would be nice to hear the players story. He is completely unprofessional, why would any player want to play for him ?
He better gets things right by November/December or this approach will come back to haunt him IMO.
For me his approach has been abysmal and self destructive. He inherited a team that was on the verge of the play offs and has failed completely.
You even said yourself that Town had a really good run of games to the end of the season and very winnable, so you must have had some belief in the players.
I can tell you for certain that if MM had inherited the position that PC has inherited that Town would have performed on a far higher level.
So far nowhere near good enough from Cook.
Also every manager who has managed at Ipswich Town has had a good track record and some multiple promotions from the Championship !

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:30 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:06 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Would be nice to hear the players story. He is completely unprofessional, why would any player want to play for him ?
He better gets things right by November/December or this approach will come back to haunt him IMO.
For me his approach has been abysmal and self destructive. He inherited a team that was on the verge of the play offs and has failed completely.
You even said yourself that Town had a really good run of games to the end of the season and very winnable, so you must have had some belief in the players.
I can tell you for certain that if MM had inherited the position that PC has inherited that Town would have performed on a far higher level.
Also every manager who has managed at Ipswich Town has had a good track record and some multiple promotions from the Championship !
Completely disagree with you. These players have had it too easy for too long. They're picking up bloody good wages week in, week out & are completely undeserving of them. Every criticism thrown at them is justified. If they don't like it then start putting some bloody effort in. A huge number of us, I am sure, would love to do what they do for a living. They need to realise how privileged they are, realise that they are letting the fans down badly & need to go out & play with some pride.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:40 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
I'll admit that I find PC's comments a bit disconcerting. It's not that he is wrong. He isn't. It's just not what I would expect from a manager who hopes existing, or potential future, players will want to play with passion for him.

Having said that, I will judge him on the team he puts together for next season and where we are after about twelve games.

As for the MM reference, that is superfluous. He had his time and that is ancient history. I don't care what he might, or might not have done. He is yesterday's man.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:49 pm

Mick McCarthy was average at best as the interim manager for Ireland. He got fired from Apoel, and after a brief surge at Cardiff they now won’t be making the playoffs. Excuse my candor mods, but why don’t you f*ck off with your MM references! I’m starting to think you’re a Norwich fan again...just stirring the pot of negativity. MM pissed off from Ipswich because he wasn’t capable of getting it done and then blamed the fans. He had more sympathy for his sh*t players losing wages by being relegated than he did for the thousands of ITFC supporters who’ve followed the team their whole lives! f*ck off Mick McCarthy!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:15 am

Hard to pick the right words sometimes given the situation the club is at / succession of blanks in consecutive games but first and foremost would like to 'thank' the players for making a complete mess of what was or should have been a feasible objective i.e. a top six finish in this here league.

Can't comprehend it, how the f*ck can you go six or seven games in succession in the third league of 'football' without registering even one goal ? OK we're not a very good team that much can't be questioned,, but even that aside, the aforementioned record is bizarre for one word. What's Cook's policy out there, play not to lose ? Would explain certan aspects of recent scores and even today he fielded just one main attacker ?

i think we're past any 'sh*t or bust' stage of the season now, however team deployment not for the first time left questions asked. Have taken in game highlights from today and reaction from TWTD and the longer the Cook 'deficiencies' continue the more intriguing the reading becomes. Had another look at his past accomplishments and he really should be doing better here since coming in - even if it has been a few months, two wins in 12 or 13 games, anyone will tell you it's unsatisfactory whichever way you look at it.

it's not castigating the man it's just the culmination of another sh*t sub-standard season where the opportunity presented itself to get something done and people have been let down by a collection of club players that are - or were - never nowhere near good enough to challenge what should have been a standard league. The Lambert mess hurt us badly, it wasn't dealt with in sufficient time and Cook is now clearly picking up further doubters by each passing week.

Not all his doing Yes Yes the blame can't find it's way entirely to his door but all the same has to take a certain share of responsibility. To the players, once again, you should issue some sort of public apology for reaching something of a pinnacle regards apathetic performance and an unwanted accolade in that we've become a focus point of embarrassment and ridicule within the division. Somehow don't think will get this time back.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:29 am

valleyroad wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
When PC first walked through the door, he told the players it was a clean slate, and that promotion was the first goal and ver6 much on the menu and achievable. The players responded by losing or drawing the next 12 games. Cook shifted his pack throughout trying to get a team that could function together and I might add at a higher pace and higher up the pitch. The players were incapable ( or unwilling?) to do this.

They have had 3 years playing walking paced football under Lambert, mainly knocking it back and forth in their own half in front of our defending box. Rarely breaking sweat, and certainly never having any real demands placed upon them. This has been an underlying problem at this Club for years now. Finally a decent manager is employed. The new manager plays the game at a much higher tempo. These so called “ professional “ footballers are not even fit enough to complete two training sessions.

I think that tells you everything you need to know about a) “ the players”, b) the manager.

Cook has finally lost patience with them and called them out. Rightly so. It’ll be the players out of work in two weeks time, not Paul Cook.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:31 am

saint jude wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:15 am
Hard to pick the right words sometimes given the situation the club is at / succession of blanks in consecutive games but first and foremost would like to 'thank' the players for making a complete mess of what was or should have been a feasible objective i.e. a top six finish in this here league.

Can't comprehend it, how the f*ck can you go six or seven games in succession in the third league of 'football' without registering even one goal ? OK we're not a very good team that much can't be questioned,, but even that aside, the aforementioned record is bizarre for one word. What's Cook's policy out there, play not to lose ? Would explain certan aspects of recent scores and even today he fielded just one main attacker ?

i think we're past any 'sh*t or bust' stage of the season now, however team deployment not for the first time left questions asked. Have taken in game highlights from today and reaction from TWTD and the longer the Cook 'deficiencies' continue the more intriguing the reading becomes. Had another look at his past accomplishments and he really should be doing better here since coming in - even if it has been a few months, two wins in 12 or 13 games, anyone will tell you it's unsatisfactory whichever way you look at it.

it's not castigating the man it's just the culmination of another sh*t sub-standard season where the opportunity presented itself to get something done and people have been let down by a collection of club players that are - or were - never nowhere near good enough to challenge what should have been a standard league. The Lambert mess hurt us badly, it wasn't dealt with in sufficient time and Cook is now clearly picking up further doubters by each passing week.

Not all his doing Yes Yes the blame can't find it's way entirely to his door but all the same has to take a certain share of responsibility. To the players, once again, you should issue some sort of public apology for reaching something of a pinnacle regards apathetic performance and an unwanted accolade in that we've become a focus point of embarrassment and ridicule within the division. Somehow don't think will get this time back.

In a sentence Saint.
...”It’s a deliberate act of sabotage to this Club and a new manager, by these players, who know they will have no part in this Club going forwards under the new owners.”

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:07 am

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:40 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
I'll admit that I find PC's comments a bit disconcerting. It's not that he is wrong. He isn't. It's just not what I would expect from a manager who hopes existing, or potential future, players will want to play with passion for him.

Having said that, I will judge him on the team he puts together for next season and where we are after about twelve games.

As for the MM reference, that is superfluous. He had his time and that is ancient history. I don't care what he might, or might not have done. He is yesterday's man.
Easy for Cook to make these comments because of the financial backing he will get in the summer. Cook is up and down more than his voice no wonder the bottom has fallen out of the season.
Yes they are not his players half were not PL, it just feels like Cook has given up on them whereas he needs to try and get the best of them. One minute it’s the players, then he says it him. His pressers are nothing short of unpredictable and are a great listen. Imagine where the club might be if he had this lot from the start of the season.
The lack of investment is now clear to see although some of it is down to the salary cap and a mis managed squad in terms of size. Without the takeover we looked doomed.
I’m sure things will improve and we have exciting times ahead of us, cook should be ultimately judged over next season fingers crossed he gets it right.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:31 am

Has he not tried to get the best out of them? I am sure he is as bewildered as most of us are how a bunch of ‘professional’ footballers just can’t hack it! More to the point they don’t seem to want too anyway.
All this woke crap about not letting them get it in the neck for the lack of effort they put in is typical of today’s attitude and it is no wonder that is the players mindset😡

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:25 am

Ando:

Try putting yourself in PC’s shoes for just one moment if you can.

You arrive at a new club full of enthusiasm for the task in hand. The prospect of promotion at that point was very achievable.

Then you meet “ the squad”...that's nearly FIFTY Players. Many of whom had been taking a wage without needing to do anything except turn up up for a little run around for an hour a day , for the last 3 years. Nothing was expected of them, ever.

So, the New manager comes in, and ups the tempo of the game. Expects players to work hard in training. Changes the training to twice daily.

The Wake up call gong booms loud and clear in the ears of the unwashed.

“ The squad” downs tools........” he can feck off, if he thinks I’m busting a gut, for him. I don’t know if I’ll even get my contract renewed”.....” when am I going to hear about my new contract”......”Christ, it looks like these new owners are going to change EVERYTHING. Doesn’t look like I’m part if it”.......”.bust a gut for 2 hours, twice a day in training now!!! ? He can feck off” .....” why can’t things stay as they were ?” ....” where’s my new contract?” ....” why should I bust a gut on the pitch , they’re going to sack me in June.” .....” he can feck right off” .

IMO in this instance It’s called player power .

Problem is this thick bunch of tw@‘ s are out of contract in June... and the wealthy new owners ARE going to tip them out. Why? Because for over three years this crock of shyte has underperformed , and stolen a living from this Club. Well now a decent manager, Paul Cook, has called them out. And guess what, this dishonest bunch of losers don’t like it!

And if you think that’s a load of cobblers , look no further than Edwards antics yesterday !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:33 am

valleyroad wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
You just don't get it do you, I will try to make it as easy as I can , we had a very decent run in on paper, games that were winnable, sadly when a group of people down tools because the poor little snowflakes are hurt by the managers comments this is the result you get, total failure. I suggest you watch the games instead of spouting your uninformed bullshit.

I agree completely with Mugen and Number9 comments above, they have had numerous bloody chances and Cook came here and said we could go on a run and get in the play offs but these twats didn't want to know.

As for the MM bullshit just wtf is it with you ? Who gives a damn sh*t about him now ? You seem to be in love with the guy, christ if you had to suffer the mind numbing crap we had to while he was here you'd get it, I think Number9 has sussed you out perfectly if we didn't already know.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:47 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:25 am
Ando:

Try putting yourself in PC’s shoes for just one moment if you can.

You arrive at a new club full of enthusiasm for the task in hand. The prospect of promotion at that point was very achievable.

Then you meet “ the squad”...that's nearly FIFTY Players. Many of whom had been taking a wage without needing to do anything except turn up up for a little run around for an hour a day , for the last 3 years. Nothing was expected of them, ever.

So, the New manager comes in, and ups the tempo of the game. Expects players to work hard in training. Changes the training to twice daily.

The Wake up call gong booms loud and clear in the ears of the unwashed.

“ The squad” downs tools........” he can feck off, if he thinks I’m busting a gut, for him. I don’t know if I’ll even get my contract renewed”.....” when am I going to hear about my new contract”......”Christ, it looks like these new owners are going to change EVERYTHING. Doesn’t look like I’m part if it”.......”.bust a gut for 2 hours, twice a day in training now!!! ? He can feck off” .....” why can’t things stay as they were ?” ....” where’s my new contract?” ....” why should I bust a gut on the pitch , they’re going to sack me in June.” .....” he can feck right off” .

IMO in this instance It’s called player power .

Problem is this thick bunch of tw@‘ s are out of contract in June... and the wealthy new owners ARE going to tip them out. Why? Because for over three years this crock of shyte has underperformed , and stolen a living from this Club. Well now a decent manager, Paul Cook, has called them out. And guess what, this dishonest bunch of losers don’t like it!

And if you think that’s a load of cobblers , look no further than Edwards antics yesterday !
Completely agree with all of it.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:07 pm

:shock: I thought only the thick twats attacking Paul Cook were on Facebook and EADT, seems we have an interloper who needs to get his head screwed on the right way and try see the positives that will come for next seasons campaign.

Why MM was mentioned God only knows Micks record is average at best, if you like MM that much support Cardiff City, :shock: oh hang on a minuet My Brother in law supports Cardiff City, so no forget that suggestion, if you want instant success and failure al rolled into to one, go support them up the road, that should keep you happy VR :lol: :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:28 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:07 pm
:shock: I thought only the thick twats attacking Paul Cook were on Facebook and EADT, seems we have an interloper who needs to get his head screwed on the right way and try see the positives that will come for next seasons campaign.

Why MM was mentioned God only knows Micks record is average at best, if you like MM that much support Cardiff City, :shock: oh hang on a minuet My Brother in law supports Cardiff City, so no forget that suggestion, if you want instant success and failure al rolled into to one, go support them up the road, that should keep you happy VR :lol: :lol:
Most of us on here don't agree with him, but that doesn't mean he deserves the inference that he's a thick tw*t just because he posts what he thinks

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:43 pm

Cooks approach underwhelmes me tbh, so I will go into the thick tw*t category as well.

And yes, the points he make are completely valid, and I agree, however, he f*cked any chance of promotion by making these comments public too early on and stating most will go basically. I agree the players should be bright enough to put themselves in the shop window or show some bloody positive action, but he has lost the current squad.

Roll on next season.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:50 pm

Frosty wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:43 pm
Cooks approach underwhelmes me tbh, so I will go into the thick tw*t category as well.

And yes, the points he make are completely valid, and I agree, however, he f*cked any chance of promotion by making these comments public too early on and stating most will go basically. I agree the players should be bright enough to put themselves in the shop window or show some bloody positive action, but he has lost the current squad.

Roll on next season.
Yep that's my take on it too. Completely agree.
Don't like the Cook can do no wrong approach at the moment but will leave it to next season and revisit.
I wouldn't treat any of the folks I manage in my job the way he has and hope to get a response from them.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:54 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:07 pm

Couldn't care less about your thick tw*t inference.
Paul Cook doesn't even have half the track record in management that MM has so end of.
I should have used Neil Warnock though as the example instead of MM as MM lights a fuse on here.