Paul Cook’s post match interview today ....

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Paul Cook’s post match interview today ....

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 01, 2021 7:06 pm

Amongst other things he said this .....

“I'm just pleased for the lads because this group pf people now have been burdened for too long. Like I told them before the game, in a week's time all those burdens and shackles will come away.

"I'll make everyone at the club happy. People who don't want to be in Ipswich Town's dressing room will not stay another day at the football club.”

So who’s he referring too do you think ?

There’s been so many players in snd out of the side , I’m honestly not sure who the rotten apples in the barrel are any more ?

But could it be

Judge.... ( he’s already left the club with a descriptor if a “ very strong character in the dressing room “)

Jackson ... he’d already been dumped by Lambert

Edwards ..... not sure how he’s still in the side considering his antics in the just game.

Sears ... but he always misses easy chances historically

Chambers ..... but he’s in the bench , so is involved

I’m struggling to think of any other players that might be being referred to by Cook.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Paul Cook’s post match interview today ....

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 02, 2021 9:03 am

I think he means most of them tbh Liz but definitely the likes of Judge and Jackson for sure

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 02, 2021 10:42 am

I can’t see him offering new contracts to any of the players out of contract at the end of the season. I think he will want a dressing room full of his own “Paul Cook” players and I have every faith in him doing a good job and getting this club on its feet again.

I have a really good feeling that this guy will go down in history as one of our best managers ever after Sir Alf & Sir Bobby. Maybe a rather bold statement that I live to regret, but for the first time in a while I believe we’ve appointed a very good manager well suited to the job in hand.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 02, 2021 10:44 am

Here here Andy, I agree.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 02, 2021 11:39 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:42 am
I have a really good feeling that this guy will go down in history as one of our best managers ever after Sir Alf & Sir Bobby.
:shock:

Certainly do feel confident that Cookie will find a level of success coupled with the new investment next season, ........., but that is one monumental leap of faith, Charnwood.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 02, 2021 4:22 pm

To be honest Marko after the two Sirs there really isn’t a lot to improve on, maybe Bill McGarry maybe George Burley at his best but I still blame him for being the one who kicked off our decline with his horrendous waste of money transfers. GB really was a five minute “wonder boy” of a manager who was quickly found out and fell out of favour almost as fast as he climbed the managerial ladder. If Paul Cook could win League One that would put him up there with only a handful of trophy winners and win promotion from the Championship too as I think he could, that would definitely put him 3rd to the two Knights. It’s as simple as that Marko.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 02, 2021 5:10 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:22 pm
To be honest Marko after the two Sirs there really isn’t a lot to improve on, maybe Bill McGarry maybe George Burley at his best but I still blame him for being the one who kicked off our decline with his horrendous waste of money transfers. GB really was a five minute “wonder boy” of a manager who was quickly found out and fell out of favour almost as fast as he climbed the managerial ladder. If Paul Cook could win League One that would put him up there with only a handful of trophy winners and win promotion from the Championship too as I think he could, that would definitely put him 3rd to the two Knights. It’s as simple as that Marko.
I dunno. Burley took a while to build a good team and we were so close so many times in the play-offs. And that promotion season and the next were fantastic. But I agree he fell away after that.
I like Cook. I think a great fit, but came in a couple of months too late to salvage this season. Looking forward to seeing his team next season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 02, 2021 5:24 pm

Charnwood wrote:

Ah right. So you reckon Burley started the decline when Sheepshanks was still at the club? Maybe under pressure to repeat the 01/02 season? That is very interesting indeed. I only ever remember Burley @ Ipswich as a positive time.

I see Roy Keane as the sole reason as to why Ipswich Town are fannying about being incredibly mediocre and shyte in League One.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun May 02, 2021 5:33 pm

I think Burley was very unlucky with transfers, and yes it eventually appeared as if he'd wasted money. Of course those expensive purchases that didn't pay off were also very detrimental to the club's financial structure. I suppose you could argue that was the beginning of Town's decline, but Keane wasted money far worse than Burley. Plus, Keane is a cnut!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 02, 2021 5:42 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:33 pm
Plus, Keane is a cnut!
Yes, in general definitely......., but one presser promising the promised land while stating ---->> "its not that difficult" with Mevans listening on created the largest cnut in ITFC history. Guys a d!ckhead.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 02, 2021 6:42 pm

For me the beginning of the end definitely goes back as far as the summer of 2001 after Towns phenomenal season when we finished 5th in the Premier League and qualified for Europe. Instead of building on the success and strengthening the team GB allowed Richard Wright and James Scofield to leave and with the proceeds plus addition funds went on a reckless £20m spending spree buying Matteo Serini, Marcus Bent, Finidi George, Ulrich Le Pen, Thomas Gaardsôe and Tommy Miller from which only the lowest cost signing from Hartlepool was a success. These new signings didn’t fit at all and we started the season with only one win in our first 17 games and ended the season with only one win in our final 13 games resulting with our relegation with 36 points (18th).
For the next few years we went in and out of Administration and were forced to sell every player of any worth including Titus Bramble, Marcus Stewart, Jamie Clapham, Hermann Hreirdarsson Darren Ambrose and Mattie Holland etc and more with no new players being purchased until Darren Currie at the start of 2004/05 season.
Whilst Joe Royle and Jim Magton did their best on a shoestring the decline was happening and the football club deep in debt until December 2007 when Marcus Evans came to the rescue with a £76m buyout. Jim Magilton was sacked 15 months later and replaced by Roy Keane and the rest is recent history, although worthy of note Keane spent less than half what Burley wasted 8 years earlier.
Roy Keane definitely didn’t help but in my opinion the decline definitely began under George Burleys watch which is just one of the reasons why I’ve always been vehemently against his return every time it’s ever been suggested.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 02, 2021 7:19 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:42 pm
For me the beginning of the end definitely goes back as far as the summer of 2001 after Towns phenomenal season when we finished 5th in the Premier League and qualified for Europe. Instead of building on the success and strengthening the team GB allowed Richard Wright and James Scofield to leave and with the proceeds plus addition funds went on a reckless £20m spending spree buying Matteo Serini, Marcus Bent, Finidi George, Ulrich Le Pen, Thomas Gaardsôe and Tommy Miller from which only the lowest cost signing from Hartlepool was a success. These new signings didn’t fit at all and we started the season with only one win in our first 17 games and ended the season with only one win in our final 13 games resulting with our relegation with 36 points (18th).
For the next few years we went in and out of Administration and were forced to sell every player of any worth including Titus Bramble, Marcus Stewart, Jamie Clapham, Hermann Hreirdarsson Darren Ambrose and Mattie Holland etc and more with no new players being purchased until Darren Currie at the start of 2004/05 season.
Whilst Joe Royle and Jim Magton did their best on a shoestring the decline was happening and the football club deep in debt until December 2007 when Marcus Evans came to the rescue with a £76m buyout. Jim Magilton was sacked 15 months later and replaced by Roy Keane and the rest is recent history, although worthy of note Keane spent less than half what Burley wasted 8 years earlier.
Roy Keane definitely didn’t help but in my opinion the decline definitely began under George Burleys watch which is just one of the reasons why I’ve always been vehemently against his return every time it’s ever been suggested.
Well I think the beginning of the decline came about in the early eighties. Bobby Robson leaving and selling very good players to pay for the Pioneer Stand. Look, for the best part of 30-35 years we’ve been a second tier side. That predates Burley, Evans, Keane, whoever we want to chuck mud at. I think we’re realistically a second tier side who have over-achieved in the seventies and early eighties. It’s rare that a club our size had so much achievement for a decade. We should be in the Championship at least and at least having a crack at the PL more often.
I don’t see the demise happening under Burley, more as a spike when we had a couple of years of fun. We still could have achieved more if Evans had more ambition and made better decisions. A bit of investment and some good management on and off the field and I see no reason why we can’t turn it around.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun May 02, 2021 7:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
although worthy of note Keane spent less than half what Burley wasted 8 years earlier.
Sorry for the error Charny. I thought for sure the Keane Effect was worse than GB. I do remember Le Pen and Finidi George being injured for quite a while which didn't help. Yes, I suppose the growing stadium debt plus GB's 20-mil left a mountain too high to climb until Evan's came to the rescue...and the rest history. :roll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 02, 2021 8:16 pm

Equation:

Roy Keane - Jordan Rhodes - Connor Wickham + Tampon Pritt-Stick = Cnut.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 02, 2021 10:55 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:19 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Well I think the beginning of the decline came about in the early eighties. Bobby Robson leaving and selling very good players to pay for the Pioneer Stand. Look, for the best part of 30-35 years we’ve been a second tier side. That predates Burley, Evans, Keane, whoever we want to chuck mud at. I think we’re realistically a second tier side who have over-achieved in the seventies and early eighties. It’s rare that a club our size had so much achievement for a decade. We should be in the Championship at least and at least having a crack at the PL more often.
I don’t see the demise happening under Burley, more as a spike when we had a couple of years of fun. We still could have achieved more if Evans had more ambition and made better decisions. A bit of investment and some good management on and off the field and I see no reason why we can’t turn it around.

I couldn’t possibly agree that Bobby Robsons teams of the 70’s and early 80’s were second tier over achievers. His teams at that time we’re the best footballing teams in the country and one of the best in Europe. If anything they underachieved and to this day are probably the best team never to have won a Premier League title, having been runners up twice. Some of the best teams in Europe came to Portman Road including Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Barcelona twice and all left defeated and Town still remain undefeated at Portman Road in European Competition having played 31 games winning 25 and 6 draws. Hardly second tier teams punching over their weight. At one time Paul Cooper was the only player in the team not a full International with his Country.
Burley was in charge for 8 years, 4 in the Premier League and 4 in the play off places in the Championship which feels more like fringe Premier League than second tier. You also have to remember the season before he f*cked up we were 5th in the Premier League and qualified for Europe. I think if you search around you’ll find that Burley himself blames too many bad signings for what cost Ipswich their place at the Premier League table which was ultimately the start of our current decline which we have never recovered from.
I agree we imploded after Bobby Robson left but that was nearly 39 years ago and we recovered from that and had 5 further seasons in the Premier League with one in Europe, it was after this that our current decline started.
Hopefully we’re now at rock bottom and the rebuild can begin under Paul Cook.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon May 03, 2021 12:48 am

Burley took some three, three and a half years from leaving Colchester to put together a team that could challenge. By around 1999 he had got the formula about right but the problem with the fifth place EPL finish and subsequent disappointment year after you feel we got found out quickly after surprising the entire league. I think after that they were more ready for us hence the almost instant return to second level. Selling off some pivotal names around that time in key areas didn't help but back then it were a case of needs must and to adapt to each players aspirations.

I'm loath to discuss the manager situation at present time. Cook for all his projected ambitions next season has been absolute sub-standard and you're talking reversal and performances of epic proportion in a year from now if all and any plaudits are to be substantiated.

The root cause of the last 20 years problems was bringing in Magilton when Royle took off. Just wasn't right for the managers job here from the get-go and after that a domino effect / whole line of successive f*ck-ups from Jewell to Lambert. Sheepshanks wasn't going to be around forever but the Evans ownership debacle cost us dearly in terms of time and wasted opportunity. If you could reset the clock back to 2006 when the dangers were present / first taking hold and do things differently you would.

We're not an EPL or top league name, for all the "glories" of before, by default we're essentially a second level club name. You could argue that's the way it's always been. Teams like Forest, Derby, Leeds also. May have won a League Championship at some stage of their history or some European accolade to their name but ideally don't belong to occupy belief or place within the highest league category. Getting back to the EPL is a priority which will take time and effort but people will argue particularly neutrals it's territory we have no real claim to be part of.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 03, 2021 9:31 am

We’re no more a second tier club than the likes of Sheffield United, WBA, Fulham, Burnley, Southampton, Brighton, Crystal Palace, Wolves, Norwich, Bournemouth, Swansea, or even Middlesbrough, but whilst the Premier League consists of 20 teams there will be at least 8 clubs from this level who will make up the Premier League. I still se no reason why with the right level of investment and ambition we can’t get back in this mix. When we were relegated in 2001/02 so we’re Leicester City who at the time would have been classified as a Tier 2 club, by 2008 like us now they were playing in the third tier. As we know they recovered from this and were part of the fastest seven year rise to the top of the English football league system apart from Ipswich Town in 1962.
I know this is now fairyland talk but my point is we’re no more a second tier football club than almost half the football clubs that will always make up the Premier League. We have to have ambition and we have to have belief.
Step one is to get of League One and I truly believe Paul Cook will make this happen and once achieved we can all start dreaming again.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 03, 2021 9:46 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:55 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

I couldn’t possibly agree that Bobby Robsons teams of the 70’s and early 80’s were second tier over achievers. His teams at that time we’re the best footballing teams in the country and one of the best in Europe. If anything they underachieved and to this day are probably the best team never to have won a Premier League title, having been runners up twice. Some of the best teams in Europe came to Portman Road including Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Barcelona twice and all left defeated and Town still remain undefeated at Portman Road in European Competition having played 31 games winning 25 and 6 draws. Hardly second tier teams punching over their weight. At one time Paul Cooper was the only player in the team not a full International with his Country.
Burley was in charge for 8 years, 4 in the Premier League and 4 in the play off places in the Championship which feels more like fringe Premier League than second tier. You also have to remember the season before he f*cked up we were 5th in the Premier League and qualified for Europe. I think if you search around you’ll find that Burley himself blames too many bad signings for what cost Ipswich their place at the Premier League table which was ultimately the start of our current decline which we have never recovered from.
I agree we imploded after Bobby Robson left but that was nearly 39 years ago and we recovered from that and had 5 further seasons in the Premier League with one in Europe, it was after this that our current decline started.
You don’t spend a decade ( seriously) competing in Europe , second only to LFC ( then the single most successful and consistent Club in this country), and it be a fluke tang! Bobby Robson, took a small provincial , family run football Club and transformed it into a Club that oozed class, and filled to brim with Internationals. We were no fluke. That took him several years to build, and in those days the game was much more if level playing field, which meant stories like this were possible.

Ridiculous Sky money has well and truly f*cked that up.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 03, 2021 10:04 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:46 am
That took him several years to build,.,.....
And fans wanted him sacked in 1971/72.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 03, 2021 11:17 am

hallamblue wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:55 pm
tangfastic wrote:

You don’t spend a decade ( seriously) competing in Europe , second only to LFC ( then the single most successful and consistent Club in this country), and it be a fluke tang! Bobby Robson, took a small provincial , family run football Club and transformed it into a Club that oozed class, and filled to brim with Internationals. We were no fluke. That took him several years to build, and in those days the game was much more if level playing field, which meant stories like this were possible.

Ridiculous Sky money has well and truly f*cked that up.
Never said it was a fluke. And mentioned it was a great achievement for a club our size. Just think we need to get real... we’re not living in the 70’s anymore. We’re not a first tier side anymore and we haven’t been for 30-35 years. We’ve just flirted with the PL league a few years during that period. I don’t see how our history and memories from the 70’s entitles us to think we’re still up there amongst the big boys. We’ve got to earn the right again to challenge at the highest level, not rely on distant pleasant memories.
Getting back to the point, I think we started going downwards in the early eighties - and that pre-dates SKY. There’s clubs like Brighton and Burnley and so many other clubs whove played in the PL league in the SKY era and they’ve outstripped us. We can’t keep on blaming SKY all the time when smaller clubs outstrip us. Even before SKY we were never considered one of the established big clubs anymore. Soon as Robson left, we sold all our best players and started going downhill. I’m not sh*tting on our history and past achievements, but it’s got nothing to do with where we are now. It’s irrelevant and has been for a long while. Got to start afresh and not live in the past.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 03, 2021 12:14 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:04 am
hallamblue wrote:
The same as some of the dunderheads with Cook now !!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 03, 2021 12:25 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:31 am
We’re no more a second tier club than the likes of Sheffield United, WBA, Fulham, Burnley, Southampton, Brighton, Crystal Palace, Wolves, Norwich, Bournemouth, Swansea, or even Middlesbrough, but whilst the Premier League consists of 20 teams there will be at least 8 clubs from this level who will make up the Premier League. I still se no reason why with the right level of investment and ambition we can’t get back in this mix. When we were relegated in 2001/02 so we’re Leicester City who at the time would have been classified as a Tier 2 club, by 2008 like us now they were playing in the third tier. As we know they recovered from this and were part of the fastest seven year rise to the top of the English football league system apart from Ipswich Town in 1962.
I know this is now fairyland talk but my point is we’re no more a second tier football club than almost half the football clubs that will always make up the Premier League. We have to have ambition and we have to have belief.
Step one is to get of League One and I truly believe Paul Cook will make this happen and once achieved we can all start dreaming again.
I would go as far as to say that with the exception of Wolves we are an equal in standing and success to all of those other sides. It is easy to put a team down when they are going through a lean spell in their history but things change, I would not bet against us being in the same division as Norwich Sheff Utd, Fulham and Swansea in Twelve months time and when the season kicks off in August 2022 we would be, by virtue of Alphabetical order, ahead of Norwich in the league pyramid, that is how quickly it changes.

As for the excellent Paul Cook debate, I completely agree with Charny in that Cook doesn't have to be a world beater to become the Third greatest manager in our history, especially with the help of substantial investment which is coming his way. I too saw major flaws in the George Burley tenure here and while he guided us to limited success I also felt he got a lot of things wrong at crucial times, a bit like Evans & McCarthy did when we hit top spot in December and failed to build on it, Burley failed to build on our Fifth placed finish and bought very poorly indeed, add to that some off field issues which are probably best not going into for fear of being accused of bad mouthing another legend of the club but it was clear and common knowledge that it wasn't the best management behind the scenes.

Others like Keane, Magilton, Jewell, Hurst, McCarthy and Lambert are all nothing more than failed or bang average managers in our history, Royle was decent. Bobby Robson was a legend who built something phenomenal and made us one of the best sides inEurope, our record is revered to this day and should not be underestimated, we really were everyone's second team for years, no exaggeration. It certainly wasn't a fluke, more a masterclass from a genius.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:58 pm

Off the pitch, if things don't go according to plan on certain Saturdays (which will happen), all Cookie needs to do is keep things open and honest with fans and he'll have the majority of the fanbase on his side. It's essentially a rebuild of sorts and there could be a level of patience required. But just keep it honest and don't hide. Don't go "Lambo" on the fans in the pressers.

Having said all that......., auto-promo next season or feck off!! :lol:

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon May 03, 2021 2:30 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Burley was an outstanding football manager and did a top job at many clubs. I know a top level ex pro in England who played under him and told me he was one of the best. Having said that you are 100% correct that he made an utter mess of things when he splashed the cash. Which for me was his biggest failure in a very good career both as player and manager. I think you are right that that was the start of things going slowly belly up for Town which really took a dive once Keane arrived.

Thing is a manager with lots of cash to spend doesn't always mean success. Not sure Paul Cook has spent a lot of cash in his career, not an easy thing to do and get right. Be interesting to see how he performs in that regard.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon May 03, 2021 4:57 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Don't Forget Joe Royale Charners :D :D he done a fab job on no money 👌😍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 03, 2021 5:52 pm

marko69 wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
Yes I know marko....but Cobbold did the best thing ever to answer those critics...give Bobby a new contract lol

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon May 03, 2021 6:41 pm

marko69 wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
Fans always know best eh ???

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon May 03, 2021 6:45 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:25 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:31 am
I would go as far as to say that with the exception of Wolves we are an equal in standing and success to all of those other sides. It is easy to put a team down when they are going through a lean spell in their history but things change, I would not bet against us being in the same division as Norwich Sheff Utd, Fulham and Swansea in Twelve months time and when the season kicks off in August 2022 we would be, by virtue of Alphabetical order, ahead of Norwich in the league pyramid, that is how quickly it changes.

As for the excellent Paul Cook debate, I completely agree with Charny in that Cook doesn't have to be a world beater to become the Third greatest manager in our history, especially with the help of substantial investment which is coming his way. I too saw major flaws in the George Burley tenure here and while he guided us to limited success I also felt he got a lot of things wrong at crucial times, a bit like Evans & McCarthy did when we hit top spot in December and failed to build on it, Burley failed to build on our Fifth placed finish and bought very poorly indeed, add to that some off field issues which are probably best not going into for fear of being accused of bad mouthing another legend of the club but it was clear and common knowledge that it wasn't the best management behind the scenes.

Others like Keane, Magilton, Jewell, Hurst, McCarthy and Lambert are all nothing more than failed or bang average managers in our history, Royle was decent. Bobby Robson was a legend who built something phenomenal and made us one of the best sides inEurope, our record is revered to this day and should not be underestimated, we really were everyone's second team for years, no exaggeration. It certainly wasn't a fluke, more a masterclass from a genius.
I think this was the problem for Burley. Caused a problem at Derby too where he did well but the issues really started the decline for him. Shame really as he was a talent. Hopefully those issues are resolved today

I'm not quite getting the whole PC thing though, are people not getting a bit carried away on the expectations of what he can do. Burley, Royal and yes, McCarthy all did excellant jobs for Ipswich given what they inherited and the investment they were faced with. Paul Cook has a lot to achieve before I'd place him next to these guys.
Last edited by valleyroad on Mon May 03, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 03, 2021 6:56 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:30 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Burley was an outstanding football manager and did a top job at many clubs. I know a top level ex pro in England who played under him and told me he was one of the best. Having said that you are 100% correct that he made an utter mess of things when he splashed the cash. Which for me was his biggest failure in a very good career both as player and manager. I think you are right that that was the start of things going slowly belly up for Town which really took a dive once Keane arrived.

Thing is a manager with lots of cash to spend doesn't always mean success. Not sure Paul Cook has spent a lot of cash in his career, not an easy thing to do and get right. Be interesting to see how he performs in that regard.
George Burley had the potential to be an outstanding manager and indeed had a few very good seasons. However his own indiscipline prevented him from fulfilling his true potential which resulted in him getting sacked from jobs more times than he resigned. Had he been an outstanding manager he would now be in his prime managing at the highest level instead of being put on the managerial scrap heap at the age of 55,

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon May 03, 2021 7:00 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:56 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:30 pm
Charnwood wrote:

George Burley had the potential to be an outstanding manager and indeed had a few very good seasons. However his own indiscipline prevented him from fulfilling his true potential resulting in him be sacked from jobs more times than he resigned. Had he been an outstanding manager he would now be in his prime managing at the highest level instead of being put on the managerial scrap heap at the age of 55,
Yep, could go along with that. Shame how it all ended for him.