Ipswich Town vs Fleetwood Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How will we finish the season?

Ipswich Win
55%
Fleetwood Win
9%
Draw
36%

Total votes: 11

hallamblue

Re: Ipswich Town vs Fleetwood Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 09, 2021 1:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:22 pm
And another one from Dozzell, passing today is different level
Mills has commented that AD is finally getting used to the more forward role and appears to benefit from playing alongside Downes.... long may it continue 👍

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun May 09, 2021 1:37 pm

Bennett's not happy coming off we have not been happy him coming on all season

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 09, 2021 1:37 pm

Skuse on ..... I honestly feel this is both he and Chambos last appearance for the Club . I think they’ll both be gone Monday . Good luck to them both .... and Sears actually .

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 09, 2021 1:38 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:37 pm
That’s the last we’ll see of him . No one will convince me he’s better than Lankester.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sun May 09, 2021 1:45 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Skuse on ..... I honestly feel this is both he and Chambos last appearance for the Club . I think they’ll both be gone Monday . Good luck to them both .... and Sears actually .
Here's hoping :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 09, 2021 1:46 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Brilliant 🤣

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 09, 2021 1:47 pm

Anyone else impressed with this Wes Burns? Very good player

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 09, 2021 1:54 pm

You can see Chambo is off, hugs from everyone at the end, time rolls on, thanks for your commitment to Town in what have been awful years.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun May 09, 2021 1:57 pm

Well let’s hope the next weeks are better than the season😀

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 09, 2021 1:57 pm

That’s it then for another crap season ....

Onwards and upwards for ITFC in just 7 weeks time when the new squad reports for pre season .

Next season is going to be a very very tough one imo with the like of Sheffield Weds, And league one hardened club Wycombe and Rotherham coming back down , it would have better Imo if Derby had been relegated as they would probably have struggled to adjust.

My Play off winners : Blackpool

So Sunderland also here again along with Oxford, Lincoln , Charlton etc . Tough tough season ahead methinks.

Have a great summer guys see you again soon xx

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun May 09, 2021 2:13 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:47 pm
Yes very impressed and he's a good age.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sun May 09, 2021 2:32 pm

When you think "WE" missed out on the play offs by 5 points and the results that affected that losing to Swindon, Northampton, Wimbledon and drawing with Rochdale we let a chance definitely slip.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 09, 2021 2:51 pm

Exactly what went through my mind, a massive opportunity missed.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun May 09, 2021 3:38 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 2:13 pm
Bluemike wrote:
I see Wes Burns is out of contract on June 30th and can play right back where he started today.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun May 09, 2021 4:02 pm

Good to finish on a win but as others put it rightly so, pissed off to some extent today's effort could not be replicated at other times this season when it mattered. Some other big names like Portsmouth didn't make it out the league also and those coming the other way from Championship, its going to be tough next season.

Not much left to add to it, season has been hugely disappointing once again at field level, a number of players should be ashamed for their contributions - or lack of - get these fuckers out and away from the club and pack them off elsewhere. Bunch of sorry-asses.

One last time shall miss the usual game interaction, even though we're essentially right now a poor ineffective team the involvement at least offered something.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 09, 2021 4:12 pm

I don't like all this gonna be tough next season stuff, every season in every division is tough, are we making our excuses already ?

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun May 09, 2021 4:50 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:12 pm
I don't like all this gonna be tough next season stuff, every season in every division is tough, are we making our excuses already ?
Far as am concerned with right buying, with right additions we should make it just as hard for the other clubs if not harder. I wouldn't mind betting several of the other clubs looking at us with our backing and manager wishing they had we now have

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun May 09, 2021 7:05 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Agreed! If Cooke's influence on our playing style is becoming evident with a squad which has a number of players on their way out, surely today should serve as a big warning to the rest of League 1? Imagine what PC can do as a manager experienced in getting teams up, with a compact squad of players who he trusts (and trust him), backed by an experienced CEO negotiating contracts with players who are of a better calibre than we have signed for the last how many years?

We should relish that very challenge.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 09, 2021 8:40 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Just facing up to the reality really Mike. 🤷‍♀️ It will be a very tough season , no matter how good our squad might turn out to be. We will be there to be shot down even more now with the heavy financial backing. A prized scalp - every game . But I’m sure as AM says above, Paul Cook will install a will to embrace that challenge - he’ll install self belief I think.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 09, 2021 8:52 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:40 pm
Paul Cook will install a will to embrace that challenge - he’ll install self belief I think.
If he installs a hot-tub, we'll know the money isn't being spent correctly.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sun May 09, 2021 8:59 pm

Bluemike wrote:
I am very confident about next season. I think Cook will assemble a group of players and a backroom team that are in synch with his approach. His track record suggests he will achieve success quickly and there is little doubt in my mind we'll be going up automatically. :D

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon May 10, 2021 1:31 am

Wasn't that mentioned when the team appointed Keane, McCarthy and Lambert. You know, a fine track record, you know how that turned out. It's not so much what a manager can do but about the attitude of his players and how well they can, or choose, to adapt to certain rulings i.e. working with a particular coach or being part of a certain club set-up. How many players are we expecting to get rid of in the summer and furthermore how much money will be invested on the team. Not substantial amounts as we're still as yet at third league level. New players brought in and cash spent will reflect the standard we're at. No thrills or outlandish purchases just people on board who want to contribute week in week out and hopefully be part of a promotion targeted squad and achievement.

Having viewed game highlights now, some of our defense seemed a bit slow at times to react but to be expected when you've build up something of a commanding lead and the game itself is near irrelevant. Most points have been covered by this stage there's really no need for further reiteration.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 10, 2021 9:01 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 3:38 pm
Kerry Blue wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 2:13 pm
Bluemike wrote:
I see Wes Burns is out of contract on June 30th and can play right back where he started today.
He looked good. I don’t think we can rely on KVY to stay fit. And if he’s versatile - all the better as we’re going for a small squad. Looks like he can cover wide right and RB ... and weigh in with a few goals.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 10, 2021 9:14 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:40 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Just facing up to the reality really Mike. 🤷‍♀️ It will be a very tough season , no matter how good our squad might turn out to be. We will be there to be shot down even more now with the heavy financial backing. A prized scalp - every game . But I’m sure as AM says above, Paul Cook will install a will to embrace that challenge - he’ll install self belief I think.
I think with all the excuses the club or fans have used ... this is my least favourite. It always feels like “we’ve lost because we’re so good”. If we are a big club at this level, then we need to prove it. Pretty much any other L1 club would happily swap their situation with ours. If players can’t handle the pressure of playing for a ‘big’ club and their expectations , they shouldn’t be here.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 10, 2021 10:54 am

I don’t feel it’s an excuse per sa, just a fact .

If Fleetwood are playing Accrington, they perceive themselves to be by and large equal I would think. Neither raises their game that extra couple of notices to win....but either of them play Town, there will 100% the subliminal ( or maybe not ) thoughts we MUST show these big time Charlie’s....they raise their games considerably. You can’t convince me that this doesn’t happen. S9 every game for Town is a cup final. Yes if we are that big club we have to deal with it. Which is what Lambert and now Cook are both saying or said. So there IS that extra pressure playing football or this Club, and there is that extra volition fr9m established league one side to grab that scalp.

I’ve played enough sport myself to remember how the smaller club raises its game. It’s bloody tough week after week, no matter how good you might be yourself.

This squad couldn’t cope with it .

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon May 10, 2021 12:27 pm

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:59 pm
Bluemike wrote:
I am very confident about next season. I think Cook will assemble a group of players and a backroom team that are in synch with his approach. His track record suggests he will achieve success quickly and there is little doubt in my mind we'll be going up automatically. :D
Well - as you were sovery confident about us getting automatic promotion this season, and then just as confident about us getting into the play-offs this season, you will forgive me if I take everything you say with a pinch of salt :wink:

And how anybody can be confident of anything for next season when we don't yet know what players we or other teams will have makes absolutely no sense at all.

One thing, though - we seem to think that just because we have a manager with a good track record, plus plenty of money to spend, that will guarantee us success next season. I'm sure there are at least 10 other teams that will have something to say about that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:30 pm

Yep, 100% correct, Hallam.

Next season, Sunderland, Sheff Weds & Ipswich will be regarded as “cup finals” to the likes of Cheltenham.

Cheltenham 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I thought we’d only ever be discussing Cheltenham on Wolfies racing forum. 🤦‍♂️

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 10, 2021 1:41 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:27 pm
JOHN DEERE wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Well - as you were sovery confident about us getting automatic promotion this season, and then just as confident about us getting into the play-offs this season, you will forgive me if I take everything you say with a pinch of salt :wink:

And how anybody can be confident of anything for next season when we don't yet know what players we or other teams will have makes absolutely no sense at all.

One thing, though - we seem to think that just because we have a manager with a good track record, plus plenty of money to spend, that will guarantee us success next season. I'm sure there are at least 10 other teams that will have something to say about that.
That's true, but the same can be said for Rotherham, Sheffield Wednesday and Wycombe who you feel are gonna be hard teams, nobody knows.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon May 10, 2021 2:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:41 pm
rossi wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:27 pm
JOHN DEERE wrote:

That's true, but the same can be said for Rotherham, Sheffield Wednesday and Wycombe who you feel are gonna be hard teams, nobody knows.
That's not quite true, Mike - I said that I was not at all worried about Wycombe who I regard as one-season wonders.
Rotherham will be tough because as I said they have who I regard as the best manager outside of the PL.
And Sheff Wed will be tough simply because they are a bigger club than us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 10, 2021 2:55 pm

It looks like Paul Warne could be walking as he wants to consider his future, at the end of the day I guess any relegation has to be deemed failure for all concerned, that said I do like the guy.