Cooks history of culls.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Cooks history of culls.

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat May 15, 2021 6:57 am

History of Paul Cooks culls from previous clubs in the East Anglian Daily Times, interesting looks like ours will be the biggest only hope it works for us.

bluejacko

Re: Cooks history of culls.

Post by bluejacko » Sat May 15, 2021 7:25 am

Can it be any worse than what it was? As has been said these new blokes may look nice and cuddly but if it ain’t going right I am sure they will fix it sharpish!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 15, 2021 8:27 am

Cook is only doing what most of us would have done, its long overdue, I've always stuck by most of these morons while others have lost patience, they were right !!!

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat May 15, 2021 8:38 am

Link needs fixing but I found it earlier, good article - nice insight to his history and the results its yielded.

Lets trust in cook :)

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 15, 2021 8:55 am

Just looking at the TWTD forum, they’re really going for Cook because of the assumed cull and the way he went about it. Those same fans were desperate for change. But it seems like it wasn’t the change they wanted. They just wanted a new manager and/or owner with pretty much the same set of players - especially the same academy players. It seems like all that was required was a new manager who could get a tune out of a wonderful squad of players. Well, whoever is manager - I don’t think you can get much more out of this lot. If you’re regularly out-muscled, out-passed and can’t create or score against weak opponents then you shouldn’t expect those same players to be part of his plans. It’s much easier to bring in new players than have to re-coach and re-motivate those under-performing players. On the outset, it’s a high-risk, cut-throat strategy, but I can recall being disappointed on a weekly basis by our performances and I’m not so sure it’s so high-risk. You can’t keep on defending players all the time and blaming the manager. I can see some fans wanting us to continuously change manager until the right manager is found and finally is the correct fit for this group of players.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat May 15, 2021 9:00 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:55 am
Just looking at the TWTD forum, they’re really going for Cook because of the assumed cull and the way he went about it. Those same fans were desperate for change. But it seems like it wasn’t the change they wanted. They just wanted a new manager and/or owner with pretty much the same set of players - especially the same academy players. It seems like all that was required was a new manager who could get a tune out of a wonderful squad of players. Well, whoever is manager - I don’t think you can get much more out of this lot. If you’re regularly out-muscled, out-passed and can’t create or score against weak opponents then you shouldn’t expect those same players to be part of his plans. It’s much easier to bring in new players than have to re-coach and re-motivate those under-performing players. On the outset, it’s a high-risk, cut-throat strategy, but I can recall being disappointed on a weekly basis by our performances and I’m not so sure it’s so high-risk. You can’t keep on defending players all the time and blaming the manager. I can see some fans wanting us to continuously change manager until the right manager is found and finally is the correct fit for this group of players.
It really is comical over there isn’t it? If you dare have a different view to the board mafia god help you 😂
Last edited by bluejacko on Sat May 15, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 15, 2021 9:03 am

TWTD is frequented by the lowest form of pond life you can ever wish to meet, they have the intellect of deformed slugs and IQ's lower than the number on Tomasz Holy's shirt !! And that's just the clever ones. They bleat on and moan week after week about what's wrong and how this should be done and that should be done, every game they slag off player after player, very few have been immune from the slating and yet they now feel Cook is going about it in the wrong way ? Absolute bloody moron's the lot of them.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat May 15, 2021 9:26 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:55 am
Just looking at the TWTD forum, they’re really going for Cook
Typically TWTD then! Many of the posters on there would insist it's raining if you just told them it was cloudy outside! If PC has indeed told everyone to start looking for another club, but as others have said, this could have been a motivational tool! In other words "if you're prepared to put in the hard work there's a place in my squad for you, if not, off you go"

Of course, i do have my concerns if we are having a complete cull, which i very much doubt will happen. I believe there are players here who could perform to the level required; could shine with the right players around them or indeed could be improved by say 10% by better coaching. Wolfie is an example. Looked promising at first, to a point many were worried he might be sold. Then last season he lost his way dramatically. Could confidence have played a big part? Being surrounded by players who were virtually all underperforming? Likewise, Jackson, a player I don't really rate, perhaps in a team which is really on the front foot he could prosper in some way (even if i have not seen evidence of that).
All in all, we will have to wait till all plans come to fruition and if it is a complete cull, then so be it, i can live with that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 15, 2021 11:14 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:26 am
.....perhaps in a team which is really on the front foot he could prosper in some way......
Yes. Feel the same way regarding a normally prolific James Norwood. A team clicking and on the front foot can bring an element of good fortune. Maybe Gregg Norwood scores a few more sitters with some pressure off.

Wont say the same about Frankie Sears ...... I like my balls the way they are.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 15, 2021 12:05 pm

Don't you bloody dare Marko !!!!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 15, 2021 12:14 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:09 am
I don't follow TWTD as it moves too quick for the time I have for this sort of thing, but if the comments above are a fair representation then I do have some sympathy.

Im all for a clear out of the cràp, but like I said in another thread I wasn't expecting that to be everyone!

Its a question of what do we actually support? Is it just the blue shirt and the badge regardless of who plays? For me, I support the club and the players, including their journey up the ranks to the first team.

I dont agree with the entire squad swap being proposed.
Balls, I think everyone would want us to put out a side full of home-grown players. There’s a good-feel factor just by saying it. But if I’m honest, I wouldn’t hang my hat on a side comprising Dozzell, Lankester, Bishop, Woolf winning us that many games. They would put in some good cameos, some classy moments, glimpses of talent that could play at a higher level - but I’m not convinced they can push us forward at the moment. The good things they do aren’t consistent enough and rarely win us games.

I think we will hang onto some young players. And some decent senior players. Dobra, I feel, is a tenacious little sod that would do well under Cook. And I don’t completely write off Woolf - but if he can’t lift his game and has another season like last - it’s better he goes. I really don’t think we are now in a position to be patient with these kids. If Cook can’t get a winning team soon enough, he’s out of a job. He knows that and its not his priority to baby-sit youngsters and nurture their careers whilst we slip further behind. They have to do it now. Or leave.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 15, 2021 12:17 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 12:05 pm
Don't you bloody dare Marko !!!!!
:lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 15, 2021 12:57 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 12:30 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 12:14 pm
BlueBalls wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:09 am
I don't follow TWTD as it moves too quick for the time I have for this sort of thing, but if the comments above are a fair representation then I do have some sympathy.

Im all for a clear out of the cràp, but like I said in another thread I wasn't expecting that to be everyone!

Its a question of what do we actually support? Is it just the blue shirt and the badge regardless of who plays? For me, I support the club and the players, including their journey up the ranks to the first team.

I dont agree with the entire squad swap being proposed.
Balls, I think everyone would want us to put out a side full of home-grown players. There’s a good-feel factor just by saying it. But if I’m honest, I wouldn’t hang my hat on a side comprising Dozzell, Lankester, Bishop, Woolf winning us that many games. They would put in some good cameos, some classy moments, glimpses of talent that could play at a higher level - but I’m not convinced they can push us forward at the moment. The good things they do aren’t consistent enough and rarely win us games.

I think we will hang onto some young players. And some decent senior players. Dobra, I feel, is a tenacious little sod that would do well under Cook. And I don’t completely write off Woolf - but if he can’t lift his game and has another season like last - it’s better he goes. I really don’t think we are now in a position to be patient with these kids. If Cook can’t get a winning team soon enough, he’s out of a job. He knows that and its not his priority to baby-sit youngsters and nurture their careers whilst we slip further behind. They have to do it now. Or leave.
I hope I'm wrong, but there is no way we can possibly have a coherent, consistent and well-rehearsed team for the start of next season in such a short space of time when everyone will be new and from different corners of the country.

Its all just my opinion and I'm very happy to be proved wrong, but a phased approach utilising both transfer windows would have made more sense to me even if the end goal is to replace most of them.

I just cannot see a free hit working in a timescale we need it to.
I hear what you’re saying. But after 2-3 years, can you say our current squad is coherent and consistent? What do we do - stick with them and hope they suddenly click after failing for a couple of years to do so OR try and bring in players Cook feels fits into his style of play? If we had a good end to the season (5-10 games) where partnerships were working and we were looking like a cohesive unit then it could be a pity to break that up. It’s just opinions - but I don’t think we’re losing out much from what we’ve seen over the last 2 years. Those players have never clicked. It does feel extreme, but both Lincoln and Blackpool overhauled their squads last summer and they’re in the play-offs.
And it could end up a phased approach because I’m not sure we can offload all these players anyway in such a short space of time.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat May 15, 2021 2:12 pm

I also don't think we can offload all those players and would like us to get 5 or 6 in then more when we have the next window, also I don't understand keeping Drinan and offering Edwards a contract he is definitely not our best player.
As to Cook telling most of our players to find another club was it like that or was it like I need you to step up work hard and show me I can trust you if you want to play for Ipswich town if not you can find another club.
It's certainly going to be a very interesting time and I can't wait for the new season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 15, 2021 2:32 pm

KB, I bet that is exactly how it was said, the papers then put their own spin on it as it sells papers, there is no way everyone will be leaving, it is most certainly going to be a phased clearout. I do agree completely with Tangs views on this, they've had their chances and gone backwards for much of the season, we are in a gargantuan rut and have a fabulous chance at last of getting out of it, I am very excited by it tbh.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat May 15, 2021 3:30 pm

You wonder suppose McCarthy or Lambert and Marcus Evans were still in charge here just how much would actually he getting done. You may not take to the new ownership and recent changes but at least someone's getting off their as* and implementing changes and going about looking to the future. Going to take a while to see the bigger picture as to what our team resembles but getting rid of any dead weight is a good way to start.

I don't have the time or inclination to see what goes on regards changes I.e. playing personnel twenty four hours a day but aware players have been moved on and some new faces brought in in various capacity within the last week. I believe Cook has a good understanding of what he wants his team to be in time for a new season and to write off the disappointment of his first year here and start afresh from August.

Next season has to be an improvement on before, we've learned to be patient over enough time, at this club its something of a must. Any piece of a jigsaw may not he pretty or attractive but fit them in the right place and you can make a finish out of it.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 15, 2021 5:35 pm

I look at the TWTD forums at an average of once every two years, problem solved, it doesn't do my head in, I barely know it exists.

What does slightly anoy me however is when I voice an opinion on here, some here are sick of seeing similar on TWTD and think I'm singing the same tune as them lot!!! I'm not, I don't know or care what they're saying, I rate posters on here, not over there and read very little else, my opinion is my own.

Back to the crux of this thread, people are going to disagree on a lot of things, but the most important thing is what Cook does and what results from it, everything else is just hot air and doesn't matter.

I have lots of conflicting feelings, it is harsh on some players to be made the scape goat, but some are clearly rotten and need ousting. Cook knows the players better than I do, so I just hope he gets it right, it only worries me because managers love the opportunity to clear a squad and make their own like this, they also don't mind a scape goat when things haven't gone great. I hope Cook isn't influenced by that and goes too far, they may not have show it in the last few seasons, but there are good players, good proffesionals at the club and they need to be kept and kept happy, Cook has risked that with the firm line he has taken, I hope he knows what he is doing as I don't know him well enough to trust his judgement, therefore I hope.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 15, 2021 6:32 pm

I'm guessing you mean me Ricco, totally different, your views are balanced, informative and constructive unlike the waffle spouted out by those other lot, whether some of your views agree with some on there or not isn't the issue, they find fault and moan about everyone and everything constantly, you do the right thing not using it much tbh.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat May 15, 2021 6:45 pm

At least on here you CAN have a different opinion! You might be challenged on it but it won’t descend to the abuse you get over there😀

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat May 15, 2021 6:58 pm

If we're bashing TWTD I'll join in. The majority of posters on TWTD are ignorant, shallow, boring, and confrontational. The TWTD format is also very busy. I think it's time they updated their interface.

I've always preferred Tractor-Boys.com to other ITFC forums. Express yourself and don't be too sensitive, and if someone disagrees with you tell them to p*ss off...with a smiley face. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:28 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:35 pm
.....but there are good players, good proffesionals at the club and they need to be kept and kept happy.....
Huge sentence that and fully agree with the part NOT in bold. I too believe that there are quite a few players that are decent in the current ITFC squad but for whatever reason haven’t performed to their full potential.

But........ kept happy? 🤦‍♂️ I’ll forever shake my head at this. They’re just on way too much money these days. It really saddens me. Playing for the jersey doesn’t exist anymore. You’d think a kid coming through the ranks in the academy, supporting ITFC, going to games with his dad, wearing his top etc etc would probably play for nothing if the chance arose! :lol:
But the players required couldn’t give two hoots about Ipswich and the club needs to keep them “happy”. This is true, Ricco...... im agreeing witn you here. But it’s so sad and completely f*cked. Someone mentioned Bennetts on 18K a week? I mean 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️. What else can clubs do to make these charlatans “happy”?

It stems from this type of scenario witn your own kids:
Wash the car & van for a tenner. Then they get a garden centre weekend job for £80 over the two days. Then they tell you to ram yer bucket & sponge up yer arse because they wouldn’t get out their bed for a tenner! 🤦‍♂️

So you have to give more and more and more to make people work and keep them “happy”.

I’m all for happiness by the way...... a great working environment is a happy working environment ......, but with SAAAWWKER, a line needs drawn.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 15, 2021 10:21 pm

:lol: agree 100% Marko. Perhaps motivated would be a better word than happy? I've said a million things about modern footballers being ruined by the environments they grow up in, it's pathetic and the worst thing about modern football, so I won't go on... but sadly, however wrong it is, a modern manager has to take player's sensitivities in to account, a lost player can turn in to a lost dressing room, can turn in to a lost season, can turn in to a lost job.

Quite frankly footballers shouldn't earn more than £30k a year before they're 25 and they should have to go through military training and counselling sessions until they realise how unbelievably lucky they are to be doing a job like that for that kind of money. There's not many sights worst than an egotistical, deluded, ungrateful prima donna!
Bluemike wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:32 pm
I'm guessing you mean me Ricco, totally different, your views are balanced, informative and constructive unlike the waffle spouted out by those other lot, whether some of your views agree with some on there or not isn't the issue, they find fault and moan about everyone and everything constantly, you do the right thing not using it much tbh.
No, I didn't have anyone in mind when I wrote it Mike, it's quite clear who on here does and doesn't read TWTD, there's plenty on here that do and I don't blame them for having less patience for certain opinions after having to endure all the crap on the other site some times! Thanks for the kind words too, same goes for you and 99% of others on here, its why I keep coming back.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 15, 2021 10:44 pm

That's wound me up now Marko! Watching tapes of the Robson years, players score and jump in the air with their arms straight up, grins beaming ear to ear. Now players don't smile, they pretend to look 'cool' like they knew they were going to score and can do it whenever they choose, the arrogance almost makes me vomit :lol: you kicked a little round plastic thing in to a net and you think you're a god among men. I. Want. To. Scream.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun May 16, 2021 1:14 am

Those Were The Days is simply spoilt by advert saturation, it's near impossible to post anything on a match day item due to absurd amount of needless immaterial advertisements and "news" stories that couldn't give two rat's asses for. Says in the member portal you get less of these when logged in but last time looked in didn't seem to reduce much and said problems persisted. Sure they got to make money towards cost running the site but all things non-ITFC are essentially excessive. Herbivore's the only standout name over there that I can recognize that participated here often enough.

Feels wrong to single out what bones of contention they got there but just take the opportunity as some already. The 'like' option is also a grievance (and) say something somebody doesn't like and you get down arrows or something into double figures. Most forums features it though, just something that seems adolescent and unnecessary. Too many contributors at any one time also particularly when a game's underway, the end result in a mash of needless subjects and disarray. Apologies to Phillip Ham as believe it's his baby but that's the way it is.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 16, 2021 6:59 am

Ricco wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:21 pm
:lol: agree 100% Marko. Perhaps motivated would be a better word than happy? I've said a million things about modern footballers being ruined by the environments they grow up in, it's pathetic and the worst thing about modern football, so I won't go on... but sadly, however wrong it is, a modern manager has to take player's sensitivities in to account, a lost player can turn in to a lost dressing room, can turn in to a lost season, can turn in to a lost job.

Quite frankly footballers shouldn't earn more than £30k a year before they're 25 and they should have to go through military training and counselling sessions until they realise how unbelievably lucky they are to be doing a job like that for that kind of money. There's not many sights worst than an egotistical, deluded, ungrateful prima donna!
Bluemike wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:32 pm
No, I didn't have anyone in mind when I wrote it Mike, it's quite clear who on here does and doesn't read TWTD, there's plenty on here that do and I don't blame them for having less patience for certain opinions after having to endure all the crap on the other site some times! Thanks for the kind words too, same goes for you and 99% of others on here, its why I keep coming back.
We’ll see if Cook’s style of man-management works or backfires. Perhaps, he could have been a Silent Destroyer instead of a ranting Demolition Man. However, we have lost 2 seasons in League One. Not sure what our dressing room was, but it wasn’t a successful, winning dressing room. I always got the impression under Lambert that our players thought they were better than what they were. They weren’t.
Dunno..... I just think Cook is trying very hard to get rid of that notion and change the culture. It could be unpleasant, but next season Cook will lose his job before a bunch of players do. He knows that. I think if Cook really had faith in this squad of players he would have gone in more softly. I’m surprised by Cook’s harsh approach, but I think he’s desperate to get rid of this ‘too comfortable’ culture at this club. I’m not sure that being extra nice would benefit our squad, because they’re probably used to that or expect it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 16, 2021 7:19 am

saint jude wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:14 am
Those Were The Days is simply spoilt by advert saturation, it's near impossible to post anything on a match day item due to absurd amount of needless immaterial advertisements and "news" stories that couldn't give two rat's asses for. Says in the member portal you get less of these when logged in but last time looked in didn't seem to reduce much and said problems persisted. Sure they got to make money towards cost running the site but all things non-ITFC are essentially excessive. Herbivore's the only standout name over there that I can recognize that participated here often enough.

Feels wrong to single out what bones of contention they got there but just take the opportunity as some already. The 'like' option is also a grievance (and) say something somebody doesn't like and you get down arrows or something into double figures. Most forums features it though, just something that seems adolescent and unnecessary. Too many contributors at any one time also particularly when a game's underway, the end result in a mash of needless subjects and disarray. Apologies to Phillip Ham as believe it's his baby but that's the way it is.
TWTD’s a business. I can’t help feel it’s encouraged to have bickering cliques going hammer and tong at each other because it causes threads 10 pages long and brings in the punters. You really have to try hard to filter out the decent info from the piles of meaningless crap posted.
And it does tend to be ‘run’ by a select elite who patrol that site and sneer at anyone who doesn’t agree with them. It does seem to be successful, though.