Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dubai Blue

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue May 11, 2021 11:26 am

3 year deal at 31? That doesn't add up in my view.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 11, 2021 12:37 pm

It may be we had to match what Huddersfield put on the table, FWIW I don't see it happening

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue May 11, 2021 1:12 pm

I get the impression Cook wants a lone striker who puts himself about, hold up play as well as weigh in with goals. Rhodes doesn’t seem to fit that, other than he’s (or was) a good finisher. Not taking this Rhodes thing seriously.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 11, 2021 2:10 pm

TWTD understands the Blues are showing interest in Oldham Athletic striker Conor McAleny, who netted 21 times in all competitions during 2020/21.

The 28-year-old, who is out of contract with the League Two Latics this summer, is believed to have caught the eye of a number of clubs from higher divisions with his form this season, fellow fourth-tier side Bradford having made overtures in January.

McAleny came through the ranks at Everton and spent time on loan in the Championship with Cardiff and Charlton, in League One with Wigan, prior to Paul Cook’s time there, Oxford, Fleetwood and Shrewsbury, as well as having a stint in the Scottish Premiership with Kilmarnock.

He joined Oldham having been released by Everton last summer having made two senior sub appearances for the Merseysiders, and was the joint-fifth top scorer in League Two in 2020/21 with 17.

Over his senior career, 5ft 10in tall McAleny has scored 50 times in 127 starts and 68 sub appearances.

Blues boss Cook will be looking to add goals to his Town side this season with James Norwood the only striker to have netted more than three during 2020/21, the 30-year-old having taken his total to 10 on the final day.
How about this guy then ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue May 11, 2021 2:11 pm

Rhodes is no Drogba, is he? I hope we’ve got better targets than washed out, former Ipswich players.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 11, 2021 2:22 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:11 pm
Rhodes is no Drogba
Very true. Drogba would NEVER get a game for Huddersfield.

Got to be honest and say, not fully up on the strikers situation in England these days. Even more so now since Ipswich Town were relegated. But with news of consortium of big investors ....
...., is there no one out there better than Jordan Rhodes? He’s getting on now and a potential candidate for taking over the ‘king ‘o the Steak Bake’ slot.
Got to be looking for someone (anyone 🤷‍♂️) better?

Also believe a goalkeeper is almost equally as important as a striker.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue May 11, 2021 2:23 pm

Got this just added, coaching role....

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... -for-talks

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed May 12, 2021 4:33 pm

Exciting summer ahead, but I kind of worry that we might have talked more than we can deliver? Alot of talk about substantial investment but surely due to financial rules that is actually very hard unless you can sell some players for big fees (which we certainly cannot).
I wonder if we will actually be able to really offer much financially over the other big leagues in the league?

My initial thoughts would be town targeting released championship players who we could tempt to league one with the offer of good wages (in light of having some cash plus not paying a fee). Now all the names linked just seem league 1/2 players and I do wonder if that is going to be enough if we want to get auto promotion.

List of out of contact championship players for some Football Manager style fantasy team building :)

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/champio ... bewerb/GB2

I'd take:
Steve Cook
Troy Deeney (highly unlikely)
Brit Assombalonga (surely would be perfect as the solo striker) but imagine he is in high demand within the championship
Junior Stanislas - rate him but again highly unlikely!

Anyway just silly ones above really, but maybe some gems in that list who we could temp?

I'm kind of unsure how things will pan out, the manager was making alot of positive noise about investment/good times coming but one of the owners gave me more an impression of a sensible approach (which is fine of course!). Maybe it just feels like when we signed 'proven' league 1/2 players like Jackson, Norwood, Nolan and such and it didn't work out.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed May 12, 2021 4:48 pm

I think Francis Jeffers arrival at Portman Road increase the chances of Callum Connelly signing for us over the summer.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 12, 2021 9:46 pm

I think I agree with you Andy 👍🥳

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 15, 2021 3:00 pm

Dozzell swap with McCauley Bonne from QPR.

https://the72.co.uk/235748/qpr-set-to- ... rts-claim/

Bonne Fide or Bollocks?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 15, 2021 3:11 pm

Hopefully bollocks although QPR were linked with him a season or Two back, who and what is Macauley Bonne anyway ?

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat May 15, 2021 4:21 pm

According to wiki (not ideal, i know), he was born in Ipswich and in our academy for 6 years! Ho hum - lets wait and see...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 15, 2021 10:22 pm

Yes, looked at wiki as well with this and leading into a 3RD season in L1, defo prefer no “Ho Hum’s”....... massive NO to MacAulay Bonne. Will be very disappointed if he’s a Town striker next season.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun May 16, 2021 9:04 am

I'll be really disappointed if Dozzell goes. I think he is a natural who at 22 has plenty of potential to improve even more. We don't have many in our squad with his ability and won't easily find a like for like replacement (if we are even looking for one). However it could well be that his head is no longer with ITFC and Cook would likely know this. In this case there is no point in doing anything other than using him to raise cash.

Still feel that with the right additions, Dozzell & Downes could be part of an excellent MF but maybe I have to move on.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun May 16, 2021 10:06 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:04 am
I'll be really disappointed if Dozzell goes. I think he is a natural who at 22 has plenty of potential to improve even more. We don't have many in our squad with his ability and won't easily find a like for like replacement (if we are even looking for one). However it could well be that his head is no longer with ITFC and Cook would likely know this. In this case there is no point in doing anything other than using him to raise cash.

Still feel that with the right additions, Dozzell & Downes could be part of an excellent MF but maybe I have to move on.
Difficult one, this, because QPR Blackburn and Brentford all see something in Dozell that Cook presumably doesn't.
Maybe he thinks he's too lightweight, who knows.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 16, 2021 10:18 am

Well if this rumour has credibility, then it shows intent. It’s made the EADT who don’t always publish wild Twitter rumours.
Good player and possible future captain.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-t ... er-7975554

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun May 16, 2021 10:31 am

Yes if that's true it would be a great place to start. Wonder why Luton don't want to keep him though. Maybe they are looking to improve also.....

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 16, 2021 10:32 am

I would be very very happy to get Bradley from Luton, I think that would be a very astute signing and quite a sign of intent.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 16, 2021 10:34 am

They do want to keep him.....
Town are understood to be heading the race for out-of-contract Luton Town skipper Sonny Bradley.

Rumours regarding Blues interest in the 29-year-old began circulating on social media yesterday and now the EADT is reporting that Town are currently the frontrunners to sign Bradley, who has been a key man for the Championship Hatters over the last three seasons.

Bradley started his career with hometown club Hull City and while a Tigers player spent time on loan at Harrogate, IK Frej in Sweden and Aldershot before moving on to Portsmouth in 2013 - prior to Paul Cook’s time at Fratton Park - having made only one start and one sub appearance while at the KCOM Stadium.

After one season at Pompey, 6ft 5in tall Bradley moved on to Crawley, where he spent two years prior to another two campaigns at Plymouth Argyle.

In 2018 left-sided Bradley joined Luton, then in League One, on a free transfer, signing a three-year deal which is up this summer. He helped them to promotion in his first season and has been one of their top performers in the second tier in the last two campaigns.

The Hatters have held talks regarding a new contract, while fellow Championship side Preston North End were linked earlier in the year.

As previously reported, Town boss Paul Cook is looking to assemble a squad of Championship standard players this summer and will be looking for a number of central defenders.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun May 16, 2021 10:37 am

Good info Mike & reassuring. Would be quite encouraging if we can outbid an established championship side.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 16, 2021 11:23 am

Dubai Blue wrote:

I’m pretty sure Cook doesn’t want or need a like for like replacement. For all his technical ability and potential, he’s not ever taken a game by the scruff of the neck, hasn’t pushed us forward, is too lightweight and hasn’t contributed enough with assists and goals. It could we need a lesser technical player with more energy who can give us more solidity and weigh in with 5-6 goals a season. It could be a good move for all parties where Dozzell can slot into a team that suits him and we can, hopefully, get decent cash for him and a Cook-style replacement. If Dozzell stays, he needs to up his game and contribute more. For me, an easy on the eye luxury player ATM in a mid-table L1 side.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 16, 2021 2:52 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:06 am
Dubai Blue wrote:

Difficult one, this, because QPR Blackburn and Brentford all see something in Dozell that Cook presumably doesn't.
Maybe he thinks he's too lightweight, who knows.
I’ve always felt as soon as we were relegated to league one, that Dozzell would struggle at this level. He hasn’t the physical attributes for the rough a hairy arsed individuals at this level who don’t give a shyte about supposed reputation or name...in fact he’d be easy meat and fair game for the hefty challenge. I think he will “ shine” with better players around him doing the donkey work. He’s a silk purse in a sows ear of a league IMO.

Would he do any better at a higher level? Possibly. But is he really “all that”? I’m not convinced he is really. But for Town 8n the here and now, he’s definitely not good enough to get us out of this division. He contributes so little for the majority of games, to be almost anonymous. Cooks teams don’t carry players and Dozzell is definitely being carried atm.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sun May 16, 2021 6:53 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:23 am
Dubai Blue wrote:

I’m pretty sure Cook doesn’t want or need a like for like replacement. For all his technical ability and potential, he’s not ever taken a game by the scruff of the neck, hasn’t pushed us forward, is too lightweight and hasn’t contributed enough with assists and goals. It could we need a lesser technical player with more energy who can give us more solidity and weigh in with 5-6 goals a season. It could be a good move for all parties where Dozzell can slot into a team that suits him and we can, hopefully, get decent cash for him and a Cook-style replacement. If Dozzell stays, he needs to up his game and contribute more. For me, an easy on the eye luxury player ATM in a mid-table L1 side.
Well said Tang Dozzell is over rated and if he was good as some seem to think he would of smashed this League. Actually he has done nothing. No goals can't think of any assists but has certainly given possession away on a regular basis. I for one would be glad to see the back of him and have said so all season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 17, 2021 2:16 pm

Does anyone know if Paul Cook brought his own scouts with him or indeed who our Chief Scout is these days, assuming of course that this role still exists.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 17, 2021 4:47 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:16 pm
Does anyone know if Paul Cook brought his own scouts with him or indeed who our Chief Scout is these days, assuming of course that this role still exists.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ashton has a few Scouts up his sleeve. The man has many connections.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 17, 2021 4:50 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:

I think Dozzell will benefit from a new start, DB. I can see him moving on to a Championship club initially as a squad player, and then eventually moving up to become a regular starter.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 17, 2021 5:28 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:47 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:16 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if Ashton has a few Scouts up his sleeve. The man has many connections.
There was talk of Scott Barron becoming head of recruitment.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-ne ... ecruitment

I think Dave Bowman is still officially head scout here. Job title is Director of Football. Never hear anything about him, but likely to move on.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 17, 2021 9:32 pm

Close to making our first signing ?..... and future captain?

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/509192/getting-closer/#9

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 17, 2021 10:21 pm

This is the guy Tang first mentioned yesterday, it looks like the situation is moving with pace and purpose. In my opinion Sonny Bradley would be an excellent first signing and sets the bar much higher than we’ve seen at Portman Road for quite a few years.
If this is the level of player we plan to recruit the future looks much brighter.