Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Tangfastic » Wed May 26, 2021 11:04 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:18 am
Bishop wanted by Cambridge ffs, I'll be seriously pissed off if we sell him to a club of that size.
They've been promoted. Same level as us. He's had his chances with us and can't see him going to a decent L1 club. Cambridge might work out for him to re-start his career.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed May 26, 2021 11:35 am

Cambridge! Surely he can do better than that, even though thay are now L1.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed May 26, 2021 12:01 pm

Not shocked as I think several of our players are going to be disappointed by who might come in for them, if anybody does.
Clubs only have to look at their injury record or level of performance over the past few seasons which no doubt will influence their decision.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 26, 2021 12:13 pm

Gwion Edwards situation is a real head scratcher because he really was sticking out like a sore thumb as the best on the park at one point. Early Lambo days and playing mostly on the left. He was decent, had defenders in his pocket, making the bye line, whipping over crosses etc.
But, for reasons you lot will know better, he turned really quite shyte rapidly.
Maybe Cook has watched early footage and feels he can get Edwards back to THAT player who’ll provide chances for his f**king shitty idea LONE striker.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 26, 2021 12:14 pm

Bishop is a far better option than Edwards in my opinion and with a solid and successful team around him I believe he would excel at this level.

Tang I'm not so sure it was just Edwards being crap in the game we speak about, at the very least he was playing with a couldn't give a toss attitude and his delivery on THREE occasions were so overhit it looked far more than just being crap, for me it was bordering on deliberate.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 26, 2021 12:21 pm

Gamble with Bishop though is if a cotton bud accidentally flies onto the pitch from a nearby bin and strikes Bish on the leg, thats him out for feckin 10 months.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed May 26, 2021 12:28 pm

I also think that because of the financial implications of covid, players contracts might very well be based more on the number of games they actually play during the season.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Wed May 26, 2021 4:39 pm

Just read we are putting in a bid for Jermaine Defoe of Rangers. 4th choice in his position at Gers. 39 in October. Bring back Finidi🤣🤣

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Wed May 26, 2021 4:47 pm

Source-footballinsider. Has beens and last payday spring to mind

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed May 26, 2021 5:04 pm

Ha I’d take a punt on Defoe if it wasn’t for big money, he is in very good shape (has a rep of looking after himself), his attitude has always seems good and he is a very good finisher, give him chances and he will score.

Probably BS though, I’m sure I read he was on a five year deal at Bournemouth on 130k per week and rangers borrowed him on loan playing a small percentage. Can’t see him bothering to play in league one for 10k or so rather than retire or going to the US perhaps.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Wed May 26, 2021 5:47 pm

Priced out of Defoe thank God

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed May 26, 2021 6:26 pm

I really hope this Defoe rumour is bollocks. Going to be 39 in September and he only played a handful og games last season. On, apparently, 30k a week.

Cook’s got a good reputation for bringing in lesser known players from the lower leagues - so I hope he sticks to that. I hope the 3 Lions havent been meddling and are trying to find a new Drogba in Defoe.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 26, 2021 6:51 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:26 pm
Cook’s got a good reputation for bringing in lesser known players from the lower leagues.
Really? Good to know.

Last time Ipswich fans heard something along these lines it was regarding Paul Hurst. Can only hope Cooks reputation really IS good.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 26, 2021 7:24 pm

Well this ( if true), it just complete madness . The player is nearly 40yrs old and likely way past even his best and likely prone to pick up injuries now. Stupid target IMO.. I hope this is just lazy journalisim

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ve-8005644

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 26, 2021 7:27 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:14 pm
Bishop is a far better option than Edwards in my opinion and with a solid and successful team around him I believe he would excel at this level.

Tang I'm not so sure it was just Edwards being crap in the game we speak about, at the very least he was playing with a couldn't give a toss attitude and his delivery on THREE occasions were so overhit it looked far more than just being crap, for me it was bordering on deliberate.
100% agree with this

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu May 27, 2021 11:01 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:51 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:26 pm
Cook’s got a good reputation for bringing in lesser known players from the lower leagues.
Really? Good to know.

Last time Ipswich fans heard something along these lines it was regarding Paul Hurst. Can only hope Cooks reputation really IS good.
Yes, you’re probably right - it is a bit of a bold statement to make that’s he’s got a good reputation for bringing in lower league players. But he has got 3 promotions and I don’t think he was given a shed-load of cash to do so. So he’s no mug by any standards.

He’s certainly got a better reputation than Hurst. And we’re now in a lower league than Hurst - so he doesn’t have to bring in loads of players from the division or two below like Hurst did, just bring in good players from this level.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu May 27, 2021 11:36 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:14 pm

I’m fed up waiting for Bishop to be the special player we thought he would be. And I’ve heard the same thing about Dozzell - that if he had better players around him, he would excel. Having a team built around 1 or 2 players only works if they can regularly do something special. And Bishop - and Dozzell- don’t do that consistently enough. We’re in League One now and if Bishop can’t do the business at this level consistently enough - then time for him to go.

As for Edwards, if he was deliberately f**king up - then Cook would have binned him straight away. Whereas he’s been a regular in the side. You might as well accuse the rest of the squad for deliberately being crap. I just think they’re naturally crap.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu May 27, 2021 4:14 pm

Never sure how accurate these links are, but Charlie Wyke and Max Power are supposedly being targeted.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-ne ... rland-trio

Not sure if we could outbid Sunderland for Wyke on wages, but Max Power has been released and played for Cook. Can see Power coming here.

If we got Wyke it would be some coup. 31 goals last season.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu May 27, 2021 4:42 pm

Wyke was on £6.5k so I'd imagine we could be competitive, it's just if the player wants to move for a bit of extra cash/new start which might be the issue as he isn't moving up a league or anything if he comes all the way down here. Likely has a family at 28 etc too.

Seems Power was on £4k, Hawkes on £510 a week :)

Wyke Sounds a good signing but I suspect he might be hoping for a championship club. As for Power, I wonder why they are releasing him but I could see Cook going for him as someone he trusts.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu May 27, 2021 5:00 pm

shabba wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 4:42 pm
Wyke was on £6.5k so I'd imagine we could be competitive, it's just if the player wants to move for a bit of extra cash/new start which might be the issue as he isn't moving up a league or anything if he comes all the way down here. Likely has a family at 28 etc too.

Seems Power was on £4k, Hawkes on £510 a week :)

Wyke Sounds a good signing but I suspect he might be hoping for a championship club. As for Power, I wonder why they are releasing him but I could see Cook going for him as someone he trusts.
I was really surprised to see that Wyke got 31 goals this season. I watched both of Sunderland's play-off games and thought he was absolute crap in both - he was missing easier chances than Norwood misses. Hope we don't get him.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri May 28, 2021 1:32 am

Max Power ? Sounds like a flashlight. Guess you could bring him in and put him in the club storeroom for when there's a blackout.

Not a name to get excited about although the Wyke kid caught the attention. 31 goals is really something and now Sunderland failed a promotion attempt just recent that may be inclined to sell. Must be the best goals haul there since Kevin Phillips 20 years back. Would jump at the chance to give it a go here but somehow think it's name we're unlikely - or not - going to get on board. It's a shame you can argue but there's a number of factors as to why it wouldn't go ahead i.e. distance between clubs and they'd have to sell to another League One rival or better they'd want to keep him on board for another season. Either way don't see it happening any time soon.

The Defoe rumor, link, story whatever is was, doesn't deserve much time. Might as well go after some other premium names of yesteryear like Viduka, Heskey and Michael Owen while you're at it. Don't know who makes these stories or where they get the information from. It's not fanciful or outlandish it's just crap we can do without.

Say while at it James Vaughan did well for Tranmere this season, some 20 goals in around 30 appearances. Now the Wirral club failed it's promotion chance a few days back they may be forced to sell. Vaughan - was there when making his breakthrough as youngest EPL scorer in 2005 - could be enticed to leave for a higher division and is a player I've rated over time. All right he's not as youthful as once was but a more credible target than Defoe could ever be.

Mullin at Cambridge is once again a name I'd like to see here. But Cambridge won't sell now they're promoted to League One with us. Say won't, highly unlikely would be better, but what was it, 32 goals from 46 appearances... A short trip over and one of the striking voids or issues here could be filled quite efficiently. He'd have to want to leave Cambridge as they'd wouldn't sell unwillingly but it's been a target of mine and just think it's someone who could fit in at the club. I know within it won't or can't happen, but in truth all things are possible within the game structure.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 28, 2021 10:25 am

tangfastic wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 4:14 pm
Never sure how accurate these links are, but Charlie Wyke and Max Power are supposedly being targeted.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-ne ... rland-trio

Not sure if we could outbid Sunderland for Wyke on wages, but Max Power has been released and played for Cook. Can see Power coming here.

If we got Wyke it would be some coup. 31 goals last season.
Not accurate apparently as Cook not been in for Wyke according to this morning’s reports

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 28, 2021 10:26 am

Accrington centre-forward Colby Bishop and Hull City skipper Richie Smallwood are the latest players to be linked with the Blues.

According to the EADT, Bishop is among the strikers Town boss Paul Cook is eyeing this summer.

Town have already been linked with plenty of frontmen this summer including Jordan Rhodes, who has rejoined his old club Huddersfield after leaving Sheffield Wednesday, Martyn Waghorn, who we understand was among the players considered by the Blues but seems likely to either stay with Derby or move to another Championship club, and Jermain Defoe, who as we reported on Tuesday was discussed but with his wages putting him out of the running.

As reported earlier in the month, Oldham’s Conor McAleny is another player in whom Cook has shown interest.

Yesterday, Sunderland’s Charlie Wyke was linked by a number of sources, however, we understand the 28-year-old is not on Cook's list of potential recruits.

Bishop, 24, came through the youth system at hometown club Notts County and spent time on loan at Gloucester City while with the Magpies.

Having made only two senior starts and two sub appearances, 5ft 11in tall Bishop left and move on to Worcester City, Boston and Leamington before returning to league football with Accrington in 2019.

Bishop has netted 12 times in each of his two seasons in League One with Stanley, including two against Town in their 2-0 victory over the Blues at the Wham Stadium in 2019/20, one from the penalty spot.

Huddersfield are also reported to be among a number of Championship and other League One sides keen on Bishop this summer. He is contracted to Accrington for another season with the club having an option for a further year.

Central midfielder Smallwood started his career with hometown club Middlesbrough before moving on to Rotherham, Scunthorpe (loan), Blackburn Rovers and then Hull City last summer.

Having been named skipper at the KCOM Stadium, the former England U18 cap helped the Tigers to the League One title and promotion to the Championship during 2020/21.

The Redcar-born 30-year-old has another year left on his Hull contract but is said not to be averse to a move to the Blues.

Elsewhere, the Sunderland Echo reports that Sunderland youngster Josh Hawkes, among a number of Black Cats players linked with the Blues yesterday, will be given the opportunity to force his way into the first-team reckoning at the Stadium of Light in pre-season.

Sporting director Kristjaan Speakman told the Sunderland club podcast last month: “Josh's performances with goals and assists [in the U23s] have been really, really good.

“He's right up there in both charts. A player at his age now, he needs to be able to come into the first-team environment. He's trained an awful lot with the first team.

“He's not quite managed to squeeze himself onto the starting XI, which speaks probably more about the quality in the team than to say Josh has fallen short.

“Myself and [manager] Lee [Johnson] are watching almost all the games, Josh has performed really really well and he'll be in the first-team squad for pre-season.”

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri May 28, 2021 11:23 am

Have to say, Colby Bishop has played well against us. Joe Pigott of AFC Wimbledon was another striker who also caught the eye.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 28, 2021 11:28 am

Yep agree about Bishop, looked really good in the game up there where he scored twice, that said I'd have looked good against us that day.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri May 28, 2021 12:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 11:28 am
Yep agree about Bishop, looked really good in the game up there where he scored twice, that said I'd have looked good against us that day.
hmmmm - really not sure about that, Mike :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 28, 2021 2:29 pm

C'mon lol, you know I always look good 😅

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun May 30, 2021 8:11 am

You know we really must have a laugh at ourselves!
I/we have watched teams with players I nave never heard of come and play us off the park in the last couple of years because they played as a TEAM!
We can say we don’t like A/B but if he comes and fits in with Cooks system I really don’t give a stuff who he is😀

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 30, 2021 11:59 am

Town are reportedly eyeing Oxford United central midfielder Mark Sykes, while their interest in Dundee United keeper Benjamin Siegrist is said to be facing frustration.

According to The Sun on Sunday, the Blues are interested in signing the 23-year-old Northern Irishman this summer.

Belfast-born Sykes joined Oxford from Glenavon in 2019 in January 2019 and since then has made 66 starts and 26 sub appearances, scoring three times, helping the U's into the League One play-offs in both seasons.

The report claims the Belfast-born schemer is out of contract this summer, however, Oxford triggered a one-year option on his deal at the end of April.

Having been capped 11 times at U21 level by Northern Ireland, scoring twice, Sykes has since switched his international allegiance to the Republic of Ireland but is yet to win a cap although is on standby for their June friendlies against Andorra and Hungary.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun May 30, 2021 1:23 pm

Bluejacko makes a great point - it’s all about getting a tram together and players with the right attitude.

I’d love to look back over posts from years ago and see how excited we were over various names/transfers that didn’t work out. We need the right environment for these players to thrive under and hopefully it’s what’s being built behind the scenes now.

Hopefully players will come to town to make a name for themselves and not just be names who then fail to deliver.

As for the Oxford lad - he must have thick skin if he switched from NI to ROI! Surely that can’t have gone down well with a lot of people!?