Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:33 pm

We won't be signing anyone with U23s in mind, should this player sign it will be for the first team.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:15 pm

By Danny Wright West Brom News
Harper was never going to be the answer so cashing in on him for up to £1million seems like a sensible option.

The Hawthorns academy product, who’s been with the club since he was 12, failed to impress on loan at Birmingham and he struggled to get going for us in the Championship too.

It’s not much money but it will all help in the end.

We wish Rak well if he does head to Portman Road in this transfer window.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:18 pm

Good to see our former captain has signed a two year deal for Colchester, I wish him well.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:48 pm

Yep good luck Chambo, he loves the area so win win for him and his family as they won't have to move.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:49 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:15 pm
Harper was never going to be the answer so cashing in on him for up to £1million seems like a sensible option.

The Hawthorns academy product, who’s been with the club since he was 12, failed to impress on loan at Birmingham and he struggled to get going for us in the Championship too.

Hardly a glowing reference but they seldom are when a player moves on, whatever happens if we do sign him we ALL need to get behind him and him welcome, that goes for all our newbies

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:49 pm
number 9 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:15 pm

Hardly a glowing reference but they seldom are when a player moves on, whatever happens if we do sign him we ALL need to get behind him and him welcome, that goes for all our newbies
Yes absolutely! In Cook we trust. (Not being cheeky!)

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:15 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:08 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:40 am
shabba wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:51 am

I'm dubious about these videos, especially when its reserver/youth stuff, the space available in some of those clips is mega. I think many players could be made to look good via some short clips, didn't we sign Adrian Paz based off a video :mrgreen:

Harper is still a very interesting one, would love to know what Birmingham thought of him? I wondered why WBA would let him go and for just 500k, given they will be selling some other high value assets for bigger money, need players for the championship etc. I looked and his contract expires next summer so if they know he won't sign this is the only time to cash in I guess. Seems he is on 8k a week though so would likely be brought in here as one of the higher earners, risk for an unproven (but possibly talented) player.

Certainly could be a bit of a punt over the other signings, but naturally this one has bigger risk but a bigger reward if he turns out to be very good (and likely would be sold on for a good fee, even if as fans we wouldn't want that - it can be healthy for the club overall).
I’m not really one for getting excited over videos. They can make a very mediocre player seem outstanding. Usually the fans - or the more balanced fans - give a better overview of the player.
Strange one this as I would have thought Cook would go for a more recognised player with more games under his belt. At 21, would he be a bit of a gamble whereby his wages would not count towards the EFL wage budget? Doesn’t say much for our homegrown midfielders if we buy in youngsters from other clubs - but if we can turn a 500k player into a multi-million player in a season or two then it’s astute business. Our youngsters tend to devalue after more appearances made.
Didn’t Cook or Ashton say they would also be recruiting for the U23’s squad too, as they look to build for the future? Maybe he’s one f9r the U23 and not the senior squad?
That is just crazy. Our wonderful football club certainly does not have the financial muscle to be shelling out £500,000 on a player they are going to put in the U23's.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:45 am

They are saying that it's a done deal Dozzell to QPR and it will be announced in the next few days.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:28 am

Was a time I would have been disappointed but hey how off you go.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:37 am

Best for all parties.

He has made an improvement this season in that he became a regular starter, but I wouldn’t say he’s a Cook-type player or that we’d miss his goals or his assists or that he could control games. Let him progress at QPR at a higher level if he’s good enough. Probably do him good to get out of the comfort zone of his home club.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:23 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:37 am
Best for all parties.
He has made an improvement this season in that he became a regular starter, but I wouldn’t say he’s a Cook-type player or that we’d miss his goals or his assists or that he could control games. Let him progress at QPR at a higher level if he’s good enough. Probably do him good to get out of the comfort zone of his home club.
I genuinely hope Andre proves us wrong because it will be lovely for his Dad if he does become the player many thought he would. I just can't see it myself. He's too light-weight and doesn't have consistent crossing or shooting quality. Sure he can make a good pass, but that's not enough.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:37 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:23 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:37 am
Best for all parties.
I genuinely hope Andre proves us wrong because it will be lovely for his Dad if he does become the player many thought he would. I just can't see it myself. He's too light-weight and doesn't have consistent crossing or shooting quality. Sure he can make a good pass, but that's not enough.
Yep too inconsistent for me, hopefully he will prove us all wrong.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:12 pm

Cornell’s contract terminated. Would suggest we’re making room for a new GK.

Good to see player’s leave, but bit of a costly process settling contracts. I can see a lot of contracts being settled early.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:25 pm

Maybe Holy will go as well I don't think either we're good enough as you say Tang it's costly, we must have someone close to joining I would think.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:30 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:12 pm
Cornell’s contract terminated. Would suggest we’re making room for a new GK.

Good to see player’s leave, but bit of a costly process settling contracts. I can see a lot of contracts being settled early.
Another useless waste of space dispatched.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:12 pm

Both GK’s have been told they can leave .

I wonder if the championship clubs interest happened after he’d (Cornell) been released , coz it wouldn’t make sense to simply release when a fee could have been obtained , surely ?

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:50 pm

Barnsley in for Downes it seems.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:22 pm

Yep, heres the story....
Championship Barnsley are reported to be preparing an offer for Blues midfielder Flynn Downes.

The 22-year-old has been told he can find a new club this summer along with most of his team-mates.

Now, according to Football Insider, the Tykes are set to make a move for the former England U19 and U20 international.

Last summer, the Blues turned down two offers from Crystal Palace for Downes of £1.2 million and then £1.6 million with the Brentwood-born academy product subsequently handing in a transfer request.

Downes, who is contracted to the Blues until the summer of 2022 with the club having an option for a further season, made 17 starts and eight sub appearances for Town in 2020/21 and in total has made 75 starts and 25 sub appearances for the club, scoring three times.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:27 am

Downes is probably one of the players that Cook could get to play in his system but if he wants to go and the price is right good luck to him if he goes.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:30 am

Judging by Ashtons interview here , I’d say it underlines why the squad was dismantled and players allowed to leave (including the like of Downes and Dozzell) - they don’t come up to the physical , mental and adaptability requirements of the data /scientific approach now being applied to our recruitment strategy .

If you look at the players we’re targeting or have made offered for or already recruited they are physically do much bigger than the players we have got rid of !

How many times have we bemoaned the fact that Town sides are too lightweight and easily outmuscled by opponents. I can think of two sides that did that to us last season (Doncaster, Rotherham) at PR. Hopefully that’ll be s thing of the last now . And that’s just the physical attribute . Ashtons also talks about the ability to train : times a day, maintain a high standard throughout the whole season, injuries (that old chestnut) etc etc . Can you see the likes of many players in the old squad dealing with this ? I can’t . Hence why they’ve been booted out .

Anyway have a read for yourselves (that was just my take on his words ) …….

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ad-8033854

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:02 am

Certainly a lot to be excited about Hallam.

That is where we need to trust in this new scientific approach and cut our own emotions on players we gladly want to see the back of and those we want to keep. Downes is a typical case! I would imagine there are many more fans wanting him to stay than those wanting to see theback of him, but the crux of it all is that if the science says he does not come up to the metrics required, then why keep him when you can (hopefully) get better in terms of a player who fits the system in all aspects?
Likewise Wolfie (as an example), might just measure up to what Paul Cook wants, his stats might hit the mark and with the right coaching (as Ashton implies) perhaps we will see that player, we once believe we had, re-emerge?

There will always be fears of too many changes, but the way i see it that if you were to buy a run-down house on a decent sized plot, it may be better to knock the whole thing down and start from scratch to get the home you desired, even if that means the teething problems a new build brings! I am genuinely excited for next season and for all those lucky fans who will be part of it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:09 am

I think Downes is the One player we should fight to keep, I think he's tough and got quality, our standout player for sure.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:03 am

I’m not sure Downes is committed to ITFC anymore. While he is probably our best player, he should maybe move on for the betterment of his career. I won’t be disappointed if he stays, but I will be surprised.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:47 am

I’d say that’s nail on th3 head number 9. Because as Mike says , you’d expec5 Downes to be exactly the type of player we’d want t9 keep and that would fit Cooks mould .

I bet Downes is praying another club other than Barnsley ( no disrespect intend3d to them), will show an interest. The player ( IMO), showed no real further interest in Town once Palace c@me calling .

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:49 am

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:23 pm

I’ve never been a fan of Andre Dozzell who in my opinion is far too fragile for League One football and whilst very capable only ever appears to show flashes of brilliance and forever hands possession to the opposition. By contrast I like what I’ve seen with Flynn Downes and am very disappointed to see him wanting away from Portman Road and can’t believe we can’t tempt him to stay for at least one more season given Towns more obvious ambition. We can only hope.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:45 am

Keeper Siegrist Linked Again as Harper and Dozzell Deals Near Confirmation
Monday, 14th Jun 2021 08:58
Town are continuing to be linked with a move for Dundee United keeper Benjamin Siegrist, while the deals which will see Rekeem Harper join the Blues and Andre Dozzell move to QPR are close to being announced.

The Blues were first mentioned in connection with 29-year-old Siegrist last month and now, according to the Daily Record, they are weighing up a £350,000 offer for the Swiss keeper.

Terrors head coach Tam Courts admits his club will struggle to keep hold of Siegrist, who has only a year left on his contract.

“We are trying to acquire assets which we can sell in the future or develop assets we can sell,” he said.

“So we understand these players won’t be here for eight, nine, ten seasons. Both of those players [Siegrist and striker Lawrence Shankland] are extremely valuable to the club.

“Benji had had a phenomenal season and I would imagine there will be a lot of interest in him because of that. I would be surprised if there wasn’t interest after the season he had.”

Previous reports have suggested Siegrist is waiting to see whether Celtic, who were first linked with him in January, firm up their interest before deciding on his future.

Siegrist joined the Aston Villa youth set-up when 16 having previously been with hometown club FC Therwil and FC Basel.

While at Villa the 29-year-old spent time on loan at Burton Albion, Cambridge United, Solihull Moors and Wycombe Wanderers.

Having been unable to break into the first team at Villa Park, the 6ft 5in tall keeper, who has been capped by Switzerland at U17, U18, U19 and U21 levels, moved on to Vaduz in Liechtenstein in the summer of 2016 for a fee of £210,000.

After two years in which he won the Liechtenstein Football Cup twice, Siegrist departed for Dundee United, with whom he won the Scottish Championship in 2019/20, where former Blues keeper Neil Alexander is the goalkeeping coach.

Town are expected to sign two senior keepers this summer with David Cornell already having departed and Tomas Holy also been told he can move on.

Free agent former Portsmouth keeper Craig MacGillivray is among their potential targets, while the Blues aren’t moving out a loan move for a talented young keeper with a Premier League side.

We understand Liverpool’s Republic of Ireland international glovesman Caoimhín Kelleher is among those the Blues are eyeing, however, there are conflicting reports regarding the Reds will make the 22-year-old available for loan for the season ahead.

Meanwhile, the Blues will be hoping that their signing of West Brom’s Rekeem Harper will finally be rubber-stamped in the next day or so with the deal having been all but done since early last week.

Harper, who TWTD revealed was set to join the Blues last Wednesday, underwent his Portman Road medical more than a week ago with all bar the formalities relating to the switch completed. We understand the fee is around £500,000 initially but potentially rising towards £1 million.

Midfielder Andre Dozzell’s move to QPR, also first reported by TWTD, is also likely to be completed in the next couple of days.

Photo: Action Images

by TaboolaSponsored LinksYou May Like
York: £19.99 Will-Writing Service
Money Saving Wills Quotes

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:17 am

I think I would be happier with the keeper from Portsmouth than this guy tbh.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:40 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:17 am
I think I would be happier with the keeper from Portsmouth than this guy tbh.
Yes I agree and he's on a free then again we might get both.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:09 am
I think Downes is the One player we should fight to keep, I think he's tough and got quality, our standout player for sure.
Yes Mike, but he'll never be a good defensive midfielder - I mean, he hasnt got a silly beard :|