Our team as it stands

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

shabba

Re: Our team as it stands

Post by shabba » Sat May 15, 2021 8:14 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:56 am
shabba wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:41 am
I also heard that comment on the podcast :).

My concern is what can we actually spend as we are limited by the fair play, would love to know what the actual max wage budget spend could be for us.

I think we won't hear too many rumours until the end of the month as officially I don't believe you can approach UK based out of contract players until start of June (1 month before their contract expires). Its 6 months for players in EU I think.
I think the budget is 60% of our revenue. And that , I believe, excludes transfer fees, just the players salaries. If we sell more season tickets and flog more players - then we get a bigger budget to play with. May be ways to circumvent that ie a big signing on fee and smaller salary (?). Over to Ashton on that one.
Ah sorry I was looking to figure out what the 60% would mean in terms of millions per year in wage budget? i.e I wonder would our wage ceiling is going to be, i.e 5m, 7m, 10m etc. I think Shef Wed are coming down with a 20m wage bill! (although I'd assume releasing some players will help)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:36 pm

£20M wage bill and finishing 2nd bottom in the championship.
And then their top earner, who helped relegate them doesn’t feel like playing League One sawker so is fecking off??
Tell me....... what other job works like this? It’s insane.
£20M wage bill for Sheffield Wednesday is ludicrous.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat May 15, 2021 8:51 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:36 pm
£20M wage bill and finishing 2nd bottom in the championship.
And then their top earner, who helped relegate them doesn’t feel like playing League One sawker so is fecking off??
Tell me....... what other job works like this? It’s insane.
£20M wage bill for Sheffield Wednesday is ludicrous.
And worse still, the club will come running to plead poverty and want bailing out,

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 21, 2021 3:41 pm

Goalie: Please not Holy!

RB:
CB:
CB:
LB:

DMF:
MF:
MF:
MF:
MF:

S: Norwood?

:lol: Looks bleak at the moment, doesn't it? COOOMEOOON YOUS GUYS!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 21, 2021 5:13 pm

Yep its worrying we haven't announced anyone before the June 1st date when business can be officially done. I'm glad we aren't announcing freebie journeymen, hopefully we'll aim a little higher.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:24 am

Hladky

KVY
Woolfenden
Nsiala
Penney

Burns
Harper
Evans

Norwood
Bonne
Dobra

Thats the best that I can see atm but not sure the personnel fit the system.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:02 am

Hladky

KVY
Woolfenden
CB (captain)
Penney

Harper
Evans

Burns
Number 10
Left Attacking midfielder

Norwood

I think Bonne might be beyond Norwood to start of with.
Not sure Penney’s going to be first-choice LB and Toto is back up/ will leave.

Still a bit of work to be done… but taking shape.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:29 am

Yeah I was doing it as it stands with what we have, I don't think Bonne is coming here to be on the bench, I see him starting, even ahead of Norwood, I also hope to God Woolfenden isn't earmarked as a starter, if we only sign one CB I expect Nsiala to start, I am hoping for Two new central defenders.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:59 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:29 am
Yeah I was doing it as it stands with what we have, I don't think Bonne is coming here to be on the bench, I see him starting, even ahead of Norwood, I also hope to God Woolfenden isn't earmarked as a starter, if we only sign one CB I expect Nsiala to start, I am hoping for Two new central defenders.
If we’re pursuing an experienced CB like Sonny Bradley then he’ll be on good wages. That will take up a fair chunk of the budget. Same with Crooks if we land him. Could be we’re forced to go for cheaper options or stick with existing players to stay within our budget. I think that’s the way we’re going - spend big on a few crucial players and have to be more thrifty to pad out the squad. The more Season Tickets and Ed Sheeran shirts we sell would help boost the budget, though.

I still have hopes that Woolfenden can turn it around. He’s had one bad season and it’s noticeable he wasn’t put in the 23’s squad. I’d prefer him to Toto, but that’s really on potential and if he improves under Cook.

If Norwoods fit and focused- then I think he’ll get the nod over Bonne. Up to Bonne to fight his way into the team. Or maybe we’ll get another striker and Norwood moves on. I hope every player here now doesn’t want to be on the bench and wants to start. Remember Waghorn couldn’t make the first eleven when he first signed, but forced his way into the team. Hopefully, there’s more competition and desire to get into the team now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:14 am

Another interesting one is Nolan, i just dontsee him featuring at all, when he has he's largely been ineffective, best if he went too.

I can deffo see more departures...
Donacien
Downes
Bishop
Kenlock
Jackson

To name just Five.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:53 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:24 am
Hladky

KVY
Woolfenden
Nsiala
Penney

Burns
Harper
Evans

Norwood
Bonne
Dobra

Thats the best that I can see atm but not sure the personnel fit the system.
It looks much better than my original post Mike but a few more needed.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:57 pm

Centre halves
Striker
GK

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:53 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:14 am
Another interesting one is Nolan, i just dontsee him featuring at all, when he has he's largely been ineffective, best if he went too.

Donacien
Downes
Bishop
Kenlock
Jackson

To name just Five.
Yep - I can see other clubs being interested in 4 of those 5 players and I expect them to move on, Nolan also.
But I'm afraid we're stuck with Jackson - I don't see any other club wanting him let alone being prepared to match his current wage, so I fear he will not be going anywhere.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:51 am

rossi wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:53 am
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:14 am

Donacien
Downes
Bishop
Kenlock
Jackson

To name just Five.
Yep - I can see other clubs being interested in 4 of those 5 players and I expect them to move on, Nolan also.
But I'm afraid we're stuck with Jackson - I don't see any other club wanting him let alone being prepared to match his current wage, so I fear he will not be going anywhere.
There’s a few players I thought we’d struggle to get rid of, but they went. There will be a club out there who will take a gamble on him - amazingly Championship clubs were interested in him in the last year. If he stays here just for picking up one good years salary he’s damaging his own career. I think he will go, but it might be a struggle to get him out of the door.
I have a feeling that Cook rates Nolan. Maybe the scouse connection, but he’s talked well of him in the past and also must have seen Nolan in the Shrewsbury team when he was one of the better L1 players and Cook was winning the L1 title with Wigan.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:19 pm

I think Jackson will have interest from other clubs, especially those that play with two up front and recognise that he can score in that set-up. Now whether he will be able to command an agreeable salary in these Covid-affected times, well that may be an entirely different prospect.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:38 pm

Anybody want to venture a guess of our starting 11 for the first match of the season?

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:58 pm

:D :D :D Yeah, good times indeed. Especially if there are a couple more to come in.......

..... and a couple more to leave.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:02 pm

[/quote]

I have a feeling that Cook rates Nolan. Maybe the scouse connection, but he’s talked well of him in the past and also must have seen Nolan in the Shrewsbury team when he was one of the better L1 players and Cook was winning the L1 title with Wigan.
[/quote]

Totally agree, have always felt that Nolan is going to stay. It can be that Nsiala is also in PCs plans, even if as first choice backup for two new CBs.

Nolan & Nsiala were two of Shrewsbury's standout players in that season before Paul Hurst (remember him?) brought them to PR.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:02 pm

Moving from the transfer thread, shall we discuss the likely line up for the season opener? (based on who is actually in the building as it stands)
Early days but hey ;)

Hladky

KVY
Toto or Wolfie
Edmundson
Penney

Harper
Evans

Burns
Fraser
Chaplin

Pigott

Subs
Norwood
Dobra
Donacien
Bonne
Holy
Humpfreys

I think cook plays a 4-2-3-1 so I imagine 1 stricker and 3 behind, Fraser as the creative one centrally and 2 inside forward types - Burns and Chaplin.
Not sure we would play 2 of out these 3 together from the start of games (Bonne/Norwood/Piggot)

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:46 am

Certainly lots of connotations in attacking roles. I think today against Millwall we will see our most likely starting line up for 7th August. While i still feel there are 2 further additions to be made, i wonder if these will have time to train and fit into the formation fully and hence they will start on the subs bench.

Hladky

KVY
Nsiala
Edmundson
Penney

Harper
Evans

Burns
Pigott
Chaplin

Norwood

I realised (with a fully fit squad) what a wealth of attacking options we have for what seems like the first time in years :D ! Didn't want to leave Fraser out, but felt that Cook will go for his favoured "one up front" formation, with Piggot sitting deeper.

Of course a lot depends on whether he wants to risk Evans (who i feel is a nailed on first game starter) today. If he choses not to, i feel 2 up front will be the option, with Fraser coming into the midfield.

Toto wins the race over Wolfie for me, judging by the fact that he didn't start at Col U, in what was almost a 2nd choice defensive line up.

How nice of having the luxury of genuine options up front. This, as others have said, will spur Norwood on when/if selected. Last season i felt there was nothing threatening on the bench whatsover when playing a lone striker. This season we have potential for goals aplenty.