EURO 2020 / 2021 CHAT

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Re: EURO 2020 / 2021 CHAT

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:31 am

Can someone tell me why a professional footballer isn’t capable of placing a ball on a little white spot, running up fast , and putting their foot through that ball and belting it HARD and low to one of the corners ?

What is it with all these mind games with the keeper . Rashfords penalty in particular , for gods sake!! 🤷‍♀️ Just HIT the bloody thing !!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:49 am

Exactly.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:51 am

Just to add, I thought Declan Rice was excellent, can only assume he picked up an injury.

I felt our substitutions cost us, Henderson was woeful, a terrible player to bring on, Grealish should have been on much earlier and it was a Red card for the tackle on him.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:52 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:31 am
Can someone tell me why a professional footballer isn’t capable of placing a ball on a little white spot, running up fast , and putting their foot through that ball and belting it HARD and low to one of the corners ?

What is it with all these mind games with the keeper . Rashfords penalty in particular , for gods sake!! 🤷‍♀️ Just HIT the bloody thing !!!
agreed, and Rashford's penalty was an absolute disgrace.

But - we didn't lose because it was a penalty shoot-out - we lost because the negative selection of players and tactics meant we tried to sit on a 1 goal lead.

Southgate got everything totally wrong last night - selection of 8 defensively-minded players meant we were unable to build on an early lead, Mancini totally outwitted him tactically from the second half onward, and then delaying the substitutions meaning some of the team had not kicked the ball before the penalties - oh, and expecting a 19 year old to take the fifth penalty. And how Mount gets the nod ahead of Grealish and Foden is totally beyond me.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:03 am

Yep totally outthought with the tactics,they had a stream of subs coming on keeping everything fresh and Southgate left it to late!
On the plus side we did have a young team who were not beaten by a very street wise and experienced team in 120 minutes.
.Still hurts though 🥺

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:10 am

I felt Southgate got it wrong in the second half. You can see Italians were getting closer to scoring and we were being driven deeper. Should have put Grealish on for Mount early in the second half. He only reacted when they equalised.
Fair play to Southgate as he got us to the final and to the lottery of the penalties, but I did think he could have shook things up before they equalised. We’ve got so much attacking talent on the bench - why not use it?

This reminded me of the Croatia SF three years ago when they slowly took control of the game after we had a good start. Italy deserved to win that over the 120 minutes.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:50 am

I totally agree with all who are saying bringing on Henderson was a mistake. What got me is we just sat further back. Even after Italy equalised we sat back. Italy pressed us further up the field and we just let them have the ball and tried to soak it up

Henderson made us go even deeper, Once Grealish came on we had bit more purpose, I thought the tackle on him was a bad one, seen players get sent off for less being honest. Yes the Italians foot bounced off the ball but he came in chopping down with his studs showing, then got up, then went down rolling about on the ground. Experience there. There was couple of other bad tackles and the English just got up brushed themselves down where if it had been other way around the Italians would of made most of it. Saka nearly had his shirt ripped off by being pulled back. Could see his neck and head actually going backwards as neck of shirt was so forcefully pulled back but the Italian just laughed, played on his innocence nodded his head to referee, Sorry Ref yes I was a silly boy.

Sterling I thought was strolling around, he didn't seem to concerned to pressure their back line but it's a very young England team against total experience Italy who used all their knowledge and know how.

Hopefully England will learn and maybe Southgate will unleash the youngsters to actually play their attacking game. Quick passing and movement, get behind and run at them. Was a good tournament and we came out heads high. Know one person on here be cheering anyway

Shed on tour

Re: EURO 2020 / 2021 CHATy

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:51 am

God my head hurts this morning! :lol: Congratulations to Italy they were the better team and deserved to lift the trophy on the night.
Had a perfect view of the penalties as was right behind the goal. As has already been said I wish players would just put their foot through the ball like Maguire did with his. Although the result wasn’t what we wanted just feel lucky to have been in the stadium last night. If it is another 55 years before we reach a final I might have to give that one a miss! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:15 am

Unlucky.

What i found unreal was the borderline panic when the italians had the ball in the last minute of extra time and it had to go out for England to get Rashford, the penalty genius on, …………. And then he comes on and does that?! Holy absolute f*ck. You guys are being nice to him today. I think i would’ve thrown my tv out the window. The worst PK ever witnessed. And in a Euro Final. 🤦‍♂️

Biggest shock of the game was Jorginho not being sent off for Grealish. Fair play to Grealish for surviving that one. Proper knee mangler that one.

But you guys are one of the genuine favourites for the WC. Only problem is i reckon France may not fk up as bad in that one.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:17 am

Think thats Saint Jude flying back into the UK with his pals?

https://www.facebook.com/653962044/post ... 995872045/

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:26 am

Had we have won 1-0 we would have been praising Southgates tactics. Yes i concur, mistakes were probably made with substitions and of course would have liked to have seen us go for it, however i prefer to give Mancini and Italy credit. Their manager could see that Kane was dropping deep and asking questions of Chiellini and addressed the situation, along with others,, at half time. It is no fluke that Italy are now unbeaten in 34 games and therefore Gareth set up his side accordingly (as he did against the Germans). A more attacking line up might have asked more question of the Azzurri, but would also left us more exposed to players like Chiesa.

Mistakes were made, lessons to be learned. However this is a young England side who are going to be able to grow together, whereas the likes of Chiellini and Bonucci are reaching the end of their International road and will not be easily replaced.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:07 am

Agree with all of that except the very last sentence. They’ll be replaced no problem whatsoever. There is already masses upon masses of young talent in Serie A. Italy always replace their “greats”.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:15 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:26 am
Had we have won 1-0 we would have been praising Southgates tactics. Yes i concur, mistakes were probably made with substitions and of course would have liked to have seen us go for it, however i prefer to give Mancini and Italy credit. Their manager could see that Kane was dropping deep and asking questions of Chiellini and addressed the situation, along with others,, at half time. It is no fluke that Italy are now unbeaten in 34 games and therefore Gareth set up his side accordingly (as he did against the Germans). A more attacking line up might have asked more question of the Azzurri, but would also left us more exposed to players like Chiesa.

Mistakes were made, lessons to be learned. However this is a young England side who are going to be able to grow together, whereas the likes of Chiellini and Bonucci are reaching the end of their International road and will not be easily replaced.
Don't totally agree there Mark, I hear you about saying tactics if we managed to hold on. Thing is during a game situations change. It looked pretty damn cert Italy would score unless we changed things. It's easy in hindsight to say things but that goal was coming.

Agree the better team on the night won but I can't help feeling we helped Italy to be the better team. We are a young side, a quick and pacey side. We looked like just kept doing the same thing. How many times did the ball end up in the Italian's goalkeeper arms from Pickford's kicking?.
As was mentioned above even at the end to bring on players with minute to go hardly gave them a feel and not surprising both players missed their pens. Just feel we worried more about Italy than playing to our strengths

I still feel it was a great competition and I feel the organisers considering everything that's gone on these past 18 months or so done fantastic job. Some may argue England had it easy etc etc but our best performance was in Rome. Scotland's best game was at Wembley so not sure on that argument.

Next years World Cup should be interesting and we should get better and better

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:24 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:07 am
Agree with all of that except the very last sentence. They’ll be replaced no problem whatsoever. There is already masses upon masses of young talent in Serie A. Italy always replace their “greats”.
I guess with a young keeper of Donnarumma's stature (already) it will certainly be easier to build a new back line, especially with a great left back like Spinnazola. I just think Chiellini (although sometimes guilty of the datker art of defending) at 36, was colossal in defence and is truly world class. He could have had sleepless nights at the thought of Sterling running at him,. but along with his holiday mate, kept him fairly quiet.
I agree there is probably a plethora of Italian defensive talent out there, but still believe that Chiellini was a class apart from any other defender on the pitch (for either team) last night (imo), that level of talent is hard to replace.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:34 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:15 am
[
Just feel we worried more about Italy than playing to our strengths
Therein lies the problem, if there is criticism to be made.
While playing to nullify your opponents can be successful (i.e our formation against Germany), it would be better to let them worry about our strengths (and exploit our weaknesses). Something Ipswich Town have been guilty of far to often in recent years.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:43 am

Are you proud to be English? I'm not.

Match comments aside, I think the English fans behaviour before & after the match was beyond disgraceful. And as for the vile racist comments on social media: all those who posted should be prosecuted & banned from international games.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:43 am

I am hoping that Jorginho will be well rewarded for his dirty B tackle on Grealish come the new season.

Italy maybe a great country and have an excellent team but they are a dirty bunch of pasta munching...........

Saying that the best team won, we didnt turn up 2nd half and paid the ultimate price in the end. Will we learn for this, doubt it .

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:12 pm

Although I wanted England to win, you only need to look at the stats to see who was the better side on the night.

I was really frustrated watching the second half, as like the comments above, Pickfords route 1 kicks and the continual Italian attacks down the flanks, and Southgate did nothing. Italy had too much time on the ball and I thought England were too narrow at times.

Still, I do think this will become a great national side for you guys and you should be very proud of them.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:33 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:43 am

Match comments aside, I think the English fans behaviour before & after the match was beyond disgraceful. And as for the vile racist comments on social media: all those who posted should be prosecuted & banned from international games.
Always proud to be English and of the team. However there is a faction (and always has been in my living memory) of England "fans" who cause trouble, as well as trolls who just jump on that bandwagon who are an absolute total and utter disgrace. For me they let this nation down and do not represent the vast majority of this country.
But, back to the football, i am pleased we reached a final, regardless how we got there or of the ridiculous conspiracy theories being peddled by some. Let's bask in the glory of what we have achieved, rather than lose too much sleep over why we didn't go on to be crowned champions, however much that might hurt right now.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:36 pm

Frosty wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:12 pm
Although I wanted England to win, you only need to look at the stats to see who was the better side on the night.

I was really frustrated watching the second half, as like the comments above, Pickfords route 1 kicks and the continual Italian attacks down the flanks, and Southgate did nothing. Italy had too much time on the ball and I thought England were too narrow at times.

Still, I do think this will become a great national side for you guys and you should be very proud of them.
Totally agree there with everything Frosty said.. Southgate has come out protecting his players and showing what a great man he is. he's taken the blame of the penalties onto himself. For me he really is a great guy but possibly too nice but so much better than few England managers can mention before him

The future is bright, the future is Three Lions

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:02 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:33 pm
……and do not represent the vast majority of this country.
Yes. Spot on. I think every English person should take comfort in knowing (especially after the social media bullshit)….. that it all represents a very small minority and they are brain dead arseholes.

Every country has them. Not exclusive to England. Get back to being proud, Barmy. 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:04 pm

barmy billy wrote:

I agree its disgraceful behaviour, it is a minority though but sadly it looks bad on us all, mud sticks. Have an opinion by all means but racist attacks and threats, no way, God knows I was fuming at the way those Two penalties were taken but to turn it into such vile abuse? No way, these people are not real fans, in fact they can't even be called people.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:18 pm

Grealish has come out and said he wanted to take a penalty, he put himself forward, the fact Saka hasn't even taken one for his club before makes the selection even more baffling.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:15 pm

On the plus side];.. Italy hadn't lost in 33 games, and they couldn't beat us in 120 mins.
They had the run of the ball for 80 minutes of the game. seemed every 50/50 situation went to their feet, especially their goal.

We have now the making of a decent squad and manager for the future.

there is a chance that our referees and officials actually learned how to do there jobs, by these Euro refs.

On the down side; ..Why do they give these internet scum such a big stage to spout there obscenities, don't report or make such a big issue of it and they will go back to the bottom of there pond. or all these footballers etc just pull the plug on leaving themselves open to the crap. they can surely live without it.

We need a mid field Captain, leave Kane to his job of scoring goals,

Italy did the things they invented, Diving, Cheating, and trying to cut players in half.

and the big down side is, I hear the plane from Manningtree, Essex Caravan Park has landed at Heath Row, :wink:
Last edited by goldandblack on Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:04 pm
barmy billy wrote:

I agree its disgraceful behaviour, it is a minority though but sadly it looks bad on us all, mud sticks. Have an opinion by all means but racist attacks and threats, no way, God knows I was fuming at the way those Two penalties were taken but to turn it into such vile abuse? No way, these people are not real fans, in fact they can't even be called people.
Mike you are correct these people aren’t fans they are just pond life. Some of the scenes at Wembley yesterday before the game and inside the stadium were disgusting to say the least.
We arrived at Wembley about 3pm and you could sense that thing’s weren’t right. Even at that time it was packed but the majority of people didn’t have tickets. When you got further down Wembley Way from Wembley Park station some idiots were already lobbing glass bottles in the air. Fortunately as we have been to Wembley so many times before we knew of a spot where it would be relatively safe.
At 5pm we decided to make a move and go into the stadium. To make sure they were ok I took wife and daughter to their entrance where they had to go through security checks. I then made my way back to where I had to go in and to put it bluntly it was absolute chaos. Some people were trying to get in without tickets and the stewards were struggling to stop them. There was no police presence at all at this entrance.
The steward that checked my ticket and Covid test result was thorough but some of the others seemed to just let people in. To be frank the security yesterday was terrible for such a major event. I certainly feel that there needs to be an inquiry into want went wrong with that side of things as the consequences could have been disastrous.
Think yesterday’s events could seriously damage our hopes of getting a future tournament here.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:03 pm

Someone cocked up in the crowd control / management strategies didn’t they . But if beggars belief how some of these “ fans” in this Country get away with this behaviour. You have to say we don’t endear ourselves to the rest of the football community do we . Idiots !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:43 pm

Tony that is shocking to read and like it or not this and the racism thing has overshadowed any real talk of the final itself, I have in fact seen the video showing the situation you describe and it was shocking scenes, I would never condone the violence but watching the real paying fans in the concourse fighting to stop these w*nkers getting in you almost enjoy watching them punching their bloody lights out, little bastards.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:28 pm

Well that's that. Realize a number of fans here are going to be disappointed and came near to a standout victory, nothing disingenuous the team did good and put itself back on the map. No one could have envisaged English getting to within one kick of a Euro Championship, damn you came near, I think you'll only realize how close in the weeks and months ahead.

There were some idiots causing mayhem in or around the stadium during game time ? Just reports you can see, all right there's going to be some added incentive and excitement but all the same some made a mess again and tarnished what should have been a celebration event. Once again kind of pleased the damn thing is over, you can now focus on what's important namely having Town attempting to be back in the Championship League and moving on from the unmitigated mess and misadventure of previous managers, owners, and seasons.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:18 pm
Grealish has come out and said he wanted to take a penalty, he put himself forward, the fact Saka hasn't even taken one for his club before makes the selection even more baffling.
I understood all the England penalty takers selections except Saka which was madness. Even if he had shown excellence in training you still wouldn’t put him on 5th given the potential pressure of winning or losing the competition. As he held the ball before placing it on the spot the cameras caught his expression, and it was sheer fear like a rabbit caught in the headlights. I said to my missus, there’s no way he’s going to score he looks scared shirtless. The rest is history.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:18 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:03 pm
Someone cocked up in the crowd control / management strategies didn’t they . But if beggars belief how some of these “ fans” in this Country get away with this behaviour. You have to say we don’t endear ourselves to the rest of the football community do we . Idiots !
The FA need to hire Spain’s Guardia Civil for England’s next big game at Wembley. There would be no trouble anywhere near the ground and if it did kick off it would be over in minutes. Ask any Liverpool fan who tried messing with them at Camp Nou when they played Barcelona.