Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:04 am

Tinytown wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:04 am
I think it would be far more important for us to sign a couple of experienced centre backs than another midfielder. Going into the season with just Toto & Wolfie would be squeaky bum time every time a ball was played into our box.
Seeing as we were willing to spend big money on Sonny Bradley before we signed anyone, I think an experienced CB is high up on the list.
Don’t know who? Chey Dunkley and Tom Lees of Sheffield Wednesday have been mentioned as possibles. Lees is out of contract and Dunkley played under Cook at Wigan.
The end of the transfer window is,I guess, the end of August, but I wouldn’t want to start the season with Woolf and Toto. You’d think clubs and players are getting to the stage where they want to finalise things. Based on our dealings so far, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a CB or two in the next couple of weeks. It’s a glaring hole in the team at the moment. I have faith.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:08 am

Tinytown wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:04 am
I think it would be far more important for us to sign a couple of experienced centre backs than another midfielder. Going into the season with just Toto & Wolfie would be squeaky bum time every time a ball was played into our box.
I agree. While i am sure purchases of players for all positions, where any amount of strengthening is required, are constantly being negotiated, i would feel a lot more comfortable to see at least one (preferably 2) centre back (s)coming in as our next signing(s).

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:34 am

Crooks to have a medical at Middlesbrough today not surprised at least he won't be playing against us this season.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:45 am

If true, not surprised. Like Bradley, it’s a big ask to get a player to drop a division.

Just hope we haven’t wasted too much time. It could mean now we focus on more realistic targets.

A week ago, both Pigott and Fraser were not on anyone’s radar but both signed out of the blue, so who knows - could be another signing or two imminent.
This Crooks thing was dragging on too long anyway.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:52 am

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:45 am
If true, not surprised. Like Bradley, it’s a big ask to get a player to drop a division.

Just hope we haven’t wasted too much time. It could mean now we focus on more realistic targets.

A week ago, both Pigott and Fraser were not on anyone’s radar but both signed out of the blue, so who knows - could be another signing or two imminent.
This Crooks thing was dragging on too long anyway.
Agree, i think he was always going to go to a championship club. Move on, get a couple of centre backs signed by the weekend.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:15 pm

Some you win, some you lose but as stated, to get Bradley and Crooks was being very ambitious which is pleasing in itself, gone are the days of Jimmy Bullard and other ageing loanees

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:08 pm

Although I don’t know much about the majority of our new signings I have every confidence in Paul Cook and his team carrying out their due diligence on each player before making an approach. I have no reason not to believe our club is now in safe hands and I can’t recall the last time I felt so excited about the start of a new season. I just hope our fans give the new team time to settle and don’t over expect from Day 1.
I do think we have some good times to look forward too albeit maybe not immediately. In Paul Cook I trust. 👍👌🤞🙏

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:18 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:08 pm
I just hope our fans give the new team time to settle and don’t over expect from Day 1.
Agreed. Have expectations, yes......, but have those over the course of the season.

Having said that......, if two points above the relegation zone on December 24th........, (Barbeque time ---->>>) COOK OUT!!

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:51 pm

Bishops move to MK Done has gone quiet hopefully it will soon get done and no interest with Jackson and Kenlock at the moment.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:53 pm

Hope this is true, this is not the only link saying he's coming to us.

Ipswich Town appear to have pulled off an impressive coup after winning the race for a Middlesbrough star, TEAMalk can exclusively reveal.

The Tractor Boys are understood to be on the verge of signing Middlesbrough left back Hayden Coulson. The 23-year-old is a graduate of Boro’s famed youth academy and made his league debut for the club in 2019.

Coulson was handed a new deal late in 2019, but he is not in the long-term plans of Neil Warnock, who is looking to move him on.

Instead, Warnock has his own grand ideas of how Middlesbrough can make a splash in the summer window.

In another exclusive, we recently revealed the veteran firebrand is in talks over a remarkable triple reunion of players he has formerly managed at Cardiff.

A host of clubs have shown an interest in in Coulson, who can play anywhere down the left.

But it is believed Ipswich are in pole position to secure his signature.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:22 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:51 pm
Bishops move to MK Dons has gone quiet hopefully it will soon get done and no interest with Jackson and Kenlock at the moment.
Teddy Bishop about to sign for Lincoln not MK Dons.

It looks like Coulson will be a loan and should be confirmed in the next few days.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:15 pm

Odd thing is Coulson is named in ‘Boro’s pre season game tonight…… but supposed target Crooks, isn’t . They’ve still not announced his signing yet despite supposedly having a medical yesterday or day before .

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:36 am

No sweat. Downes is in our U23 also. Need to keep them fit. Clearly contracts are not yet waiting on desks for whatever move is expected.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:54 am

If it happens, I would have preferred a permanent signing. But as Coulsen has two years left on his contract it surely would have cost us a fair bit. It might be that he’s rated highly and that’s why Middlesborough only want a loan deal. If they had let him go on the cheap, then maybe he isn’t such a good prospect. Sounds like Warnock prefers the other LB and he can’t force his way into the team.

If he is the real deal and he contributes to us getting out of this league, then a loan deal will work for me.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:36 am

Agreed Tang and if we were able to get promoted to the Championship it could well become permanent anyway.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:38 pm

Teamtalk is reporting that Warnock is chasing a defender from Cardiff and MM isn't keen to let him go. Maybe this is what's delaying the Coulsen deal.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:15 pm

I guess this is the problem when we’re sourcing players from higher up - we have to wait on decisions higher up the pyramid and hope that the domino effect falls into place for us. We’re league one and down the pecking order.

Maybe I’m getting impatient, but if there’s too much pissing around and additional complications, then I’d be tempted to go for the next target.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:52 am

Coulson was at St Mirren wasn't good enough. Shipped him back to Boro as soon as we got rid of worst manager in our history, Alan Stubbs. Not surprised Warnock has moved him on. Bit disappointed Town have signed him tbh.Hopefully proves me wrong.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:15 pm

Didn't realise it was the same Coulson. Nope, nothing special at all. In fact, bit of a headless chicken in my opinion.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:32 pm

He hasn't signed yet. Maybe some complications. There was talk of us looking at Jamie Robson of dundee utd as an LB option. For the Scots contingent.
,is jhe any good?

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:50 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:32 pm
He hasn't signed yet. Maybe some complications. There was talk of us looking at Jamie Robson of dundee utd as an LB option. For the Scots contingent.
,is jhe any good?
Yes Robson for me is a better option than Coulson. Good young player with lots of potential.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:55 pm

Very much a better option than Coulson.

Although…… I don’t know. Not sure the quest for the Championship should have Ipswich Town looking in Scotland? Is there a genuine lack of talent dan saaaath?

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:10 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:55 pm

Although…… I don’t know. Not sure the quest for the Championship should have Ipswich Town looking in Scotland? Is there a genuine lack of talent dan saaaath?
Yep that was my thoughts too. Would like to see tried an tested full back in English football.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:10 pm

marko69 wrote:

If we’re going to believe SJ, we should be looking at American talent.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:31 pm

Middlesbrough boss Neil Warnock says Blues target Hayden Coulson missed tonight’s friendly at Plymouth having “felt his thigh” in training earlier today.

TWTD reported on Wednesday that Town are closing in on the loan signing of the 23-year-old and given that situation the left-back’s absence from the squad which faced the Pilgrims at Home Park came as little surprise.

However, after the match Boro boss Warnock claimed Coulson had missed out due to a niggle.

Coulson felt his thigh this morning in training and felt he couldn’t play,” he told Teesside Live.

“It’s a pity because he did well the other night [in the 7-0 win at Tavistock in which he scored twice] I thought.

“That’s one of those things. We lose Coulson and [Marc] Bola so we’re a little bit short in that area at the minute.”

Former Town target Matt Crooks, who completed his move from Rotherham earlier today, scored Boro’s opening goal in the 15th minute as they beat the Pilgrims 2-1 in the final game of their week training in the South-West.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:56 am

Two weeks to the start of the season. Some very good signings so far, but it’s obvious from yesterday we need more bodies in the squad.

I do wonder if there comes a point where we’ll have to change strategy and give up on top targets and then focus on getting 2nd or 3rd choice options. It’s been an ambitious recruitment so far, but do wonder if we wasted too much time and effort on someone like Crooks.
Still need at least a wide player, 1/2 CB’s, LB and a number 10. And the fact that Evans was injured and we had to put Humphreys in a deep midfield role means we short of bodies there.

I have faith in Ashton and Cook, but really like to see 2–3 more signings in the next couple of weeks. Still got five more weeks to the end of the window.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:12 am

What we have seen so far is that these people actually have a plan😀

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:15 pm

marko69 wrote:

Maybe another one we’re looking at from Scotland. George Edmundson at Rangers. Centre back. Rumoured we’re looking at signing him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:04 pm

Not sure about this one, we need a couple of CB'S for sure but I would like to see someone a bit older and more experienced, I also thought Gibson from Everton was virtually a done deal ? If so we deffo need someone a bit older.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:04 pm
Not sure about this one, we need a couple of CB'S for sure but I would like to see someone a bit older and more experienced, I also thought Gibson from Everton was virtually a done deal ? If so we deffo need someone a bit older.
Yes, he doesn’t fit the mould of that experienced CB. But I guess those types, like Bradley, aren’t easy to prise away and drop a division. If we want someone who’s got Championship experience or potential we might have to take a punt on someone like this and develop him further.

Cook/Ashton could well have something up their sleeve.

Not sure what happened with Gibson. That seems to have gone very quietHe’s another who’s just a young lad and maybe we’ve moved on from him.