US Team Women (and men also)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

US Team Women (and men also)

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:05 pm

Women's "football" never receives much if any time on these type of forums however you couldn't overlook or escape attention that the US women (team) have lost their long unbeaten run at the Tokyo Olympics. They went 44 (forty-four) games without defeat until a shock setback to Sweden just a few hours back. That's some 10 more than the Italians a week ago and goes past the Arsenal unbeaten season back in the 2000's. All right it's the women's variety and omits the most part (the) rough and toughness of the men's division but an international side all the same.

Point out Sweden were not expected to win but they've got something of a hold over our womens national team and often get results off them despite being ranked way below and the US squad is the World's #1 and most successful over time. Next up is New Zealand, maybe this time around they won't win something they enter.

Not only that but the US men's squad is in good shape. A number of victories some of them substantial, even if the caliber of opponents isn't always the greatest. (They) Hope to participate in Qatar for World Cup having missed out last time before. You can recall some great tussles in recent competition, one with Belgium comes straight to mind. To encapsulate both men and women have and are doing very well, there's got to be some reward ahead.

Tinytown

Re: US Team Women (and men also)

Post by Tinytown » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:24 am

I for one hope both teams get beaten in every game they play and are sent packing!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:59 am

Yes, thats some gall you got going here, Saint. An entire thread to the USA on an English forum where you solely wished misfortune on the England mens team? Wow. 🤦‍♂️

Im surprised its only TinyTown voicing a reply. Got to say, with Tiny on this…….. couldn't give less of a fk about the US teams.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:47 am

Ooh well, this says a lot on just how out of things you really are Saint.

You are either totally trying to wind us up, really not thinking, don't have a clue what hell you are talking about or just plainly and simply an idiot

Or, part of each of these things.

Lets be frank, before your ranting about England in the Euros I may of, just may of after reading this thread paid some attention to the USA teams, but quite frankly and honestly after your rants I have zilch interest in the USA teams and sooner this is all over with the better

Sounds familiar ???????

Only just read this thread Marko

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:55 am

Mozambique look in good shape for the Table Tennis and cycling.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:59 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:55 am
:D :D :D

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:55 am
Used to love playing table tennis Mike, I hear the synchronised swimming should be rather glamourous and the trampolining should be up and down this year

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:20 pm

saint jude wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:05 pm
Women's "football" never receives much if any time on these type of forums however you couldn't overlook or escape attention that the US women (team) have lost their long unbeaten run at the Tokyo Olympics. They went 44 (forty-four) games without defeat until a shock setback to Sweden just a few hours back. That's some 10 more than the Italians a week ago and goes past the Arsenal unbeaten season back in the 2000's. All right it's the women's variety and omits the most part (the) rough and toughness of the men's division but an international side all the same.

Point out Sweden were not expected to win but they've got something of a hold over our womens national team and often get results off them despite being ranked way below and the US squad is the World's #1 and most successful over time. Next up is New Zealand, maybe this time around they won't win something they enter.

Not only that but the US men's squad is in good shape. A number of victories some of them substantial, even if the caliber of opponents isn't always the greatest. (They) Hope to participate in Qatar for World Cup having missed out last time before. You can recall some great tussles in recent competition, one with Belgium comes straight to mind. To encapsulate both men and women have and are doing very well, there's got to be some reward ahead.
Sure they are - after all in their recent Gold Cup game they thrashed the mighty Haiti 1-0 :lol: :lol: :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:30 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:59 am
Yes, thats some gall you got going here, Saint. An entire thread to the USA on an English forum where you solely wished misfortune on the England mens team? Wow. 🤦‍♂️

Im surprised its only TinyTown voicing a reply. Got to say, with Tiny on this…….. couldn't give less of a fk about the US teams.
To be fair, Marko, I find it extremely difficult to take seriously any comments of a sporting nature from somebody whose own country's main sports are baseball (effectively just a male version of the British kiddies game rounders) and US Football (a contact sport in which men [?] feel the need to dress up in helmets and body padding to protect themselves from the same sort of contact that rugby players [real men] take as a matter of course).

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:46 pm

If it wasn’t for the fact that my two daughters, son in laws and four grandchildren all live there I’d be happy to see the USA disappear off planet Earth. As for following their National Sporting achievements I couldn’t give a flying fig, and that includes their golfers.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:44 pm

Don't get me wrong there's many aspects of my - sorry - THE nation i can't abide. We've provided some awful exports to the world, many that never should have seen the light of day, gone ahead, orchestrated to begin with et cetera. A number of people wherever you find them don't like us, don't like our methods, laws, means of control, government, you name it the issue has arisen someplace. A new country that doesn't always have it's place in the world but you can't pick and choose places of birth and certain allegiances.

Apologize if anyone was upset or took apathy with what should be a great achievement by our national women but there you are. Womens soccer is a big thing in this time, moved on leaps and bounds the last half-century. There's got to be a certain honor in knowing you're the best at it.

For the last time i don't have no problem with the English as a whole. It's the time of tournament that causes problems, usually they're eliminated before any real action gets underway. Yes you did well, maybe what occurred a few weeks back won't be replicated again for some time but the damn thing is over now, we move on and focus on domestics ahead. Wind ups or something was mentioned ? Not with this name, take a back seat to that sort of thing. Guess somewhere along the line things got to a point where anger got the better of rationality. Apologize one last time.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:07 am

saint jude wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:44 pm
Don't get me wrong there's many aspects of my - sorry - THE nation i can't abide. We've provided some awful exports to the world, many that never should have seen the light of day, gone ahead, orchestrated to begin with et cetera. A number of people wherever you find them don't like us, don't like our methods, laws, means of control, government, you name it the issue has arisen someplace. A new country that doesn't always have it's place in the world but you can't pick and choose places of birth and certain allegiances.

Apologize if anyone was upset or took apathy with what should be a great achievement by our national women but there you are. Womens soccer is a big thing in this time, moved on leaps and bounds the last half-century. There's got to be a certain honor in knowing you're the best at it.

For the last time i don't have no problem with the English as a whole. It's the time of tournament that causes problems, usually they're eliminated before any real action gets underway. Yes you did well, maybe what occurred a few weeks back won't be replicated again for some time but the damn thing is over now, we move on and focus on domestics ahead. Wind ups or something was mentioned ? Not with this name, take a back seat to that sort of thing. Guess somewhere along the line things got to a point where anger got the better of rationality. Apologize one last time.
:D :D :D An excellent example of one of the awful exports to the world by the US that you refer to: namely the bastardisation of the English language by a nation that, being incapable of and/or too lazy to invent it's own language, adopted English as it's language but then promptly altered spelling and grammar to make it easier to understand. If you 'don't have no problem with the English' (sic) then the connotation is that you do have some problem :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:28 am

“What do you want for breakfast?”
“I don’t want nothing.”
“Ok, what do you want then?”
“I just said. I don’t want nothing at all.”
“Well, what then? Bacon? Eggs?”

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:41 am

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:28 am
“What do you want for breakfast?”
“I don’t want nothing.”
“Ok, what do you want then?”
“I just said. I don’t want nothing at all.”
“Well, what then? Bacon? Eggs?”
The good old double negative. A wonderful trait in my home county of Norfolk. :lol:

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:52 am

rossi wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:07 am
saint jude wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:44 pm

:D :D :D An excellent example of one of the awful exports to the world by the US that you refer to: namely the bastardisation of the English language by a nation that, being incapable of and/or too lazy to invent it's own language, adopted English as it's language but then promptly altered spelling and grammar to make it easier to understand. If you 'don't have no problem with the English' (sic) then the connotation is that you do have some problem :wink:
To be fair on the spelling front, most of the differences are because 'American' English is still using the Old English spelling of a word - we have just moved on from how it was when the Pilgrim Fathers left!! :lol:

Had an American boss once who after a meeting came up with the gem

'Recognised every word used during that discussion, but I don't have a clue what was discussed!'

Two nations divided by a common language.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:05 pm

TODD66 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:52 am

'Recognised every word used during that discussion, but I don't have a clue what was discussed!'
That is superb :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:17 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:05 pm
TODD66 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:52 am

That is superb :lol:

Todd I had no idea you’d worked for Donald Trump 😆😆😆

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:22 pm

I love the USA & the UK to be honest. Both have their pros & cons, but freedom is the common denominator. I’ll always support USA & England in sporting events, and I’d be pleased whoever won. There’s a lot of animosity between the countries, but all in all we’re pretty even socially…maybe not politically or financially. Of course unlike Saint, I would never hope for the demise of either. Some of the comments on here about the USA have really pissed me off to be honest. My dad is/was American & my mum is English. If you wanna slag off a country, why don’t you focus on those with poor human rights & sanctioned terrorism. Just my 2 cents/pence. COYB!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:41 am

WHIT?? :shock:

You forced me to read the thread again, 9....... to see what I'd accidentally missed.

Some of the comments have "really pissed you off"?

Please elaborate....... Can't speak for everyone, but I'm missing your point here. Scrolling about looking for something political or something cultural, but nope.

Is it just a favourite / favorite pissed off-ness?! :D

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:44 am

He's resided in Texas for a good many years, guess has a feel for the nation and has adapted to any and all changes you'd find or experience being far removed within the United Kingdom. Same here, born in one country, you live and adapt in another over enough time where you gain an understanding and how things work.

Some people don't like the US, can understand that (and) once again there's certain elements within it I can't abide, and sporting achievements there tend to go by the wayside or simply overlooked / not recognized by people on foreign shores. Point of this topic was too highlight what I felt an outstanding feat by the national Team Women to go unbeaten for so long on a "football" field. Obviously got notice of it while many were unaware and thought it deserved it's mention.

Many Americans i.e. those that haven't really ventured outside it's own territory, aren't always up on foreign culture or don't fully understand European traditions. And vice versa.

One final thing that viewed earlier, and a case in point, was one (American) kid's attempt to learn / understand a recent Euro semi-final event. I can see where the distaste comes from. You'd like to take a fist to it, can understand that. Empty airheads that try to be part of something but resemble a fish out of water when attempting to discuss or teach something that is outside the boundaries of their usual practice.

Easy this end, been following UK and European "football" for some 40 years or more and got complete lie of the land. For others, it's easy to be up creek without a paddle mighty fast.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:54 am

If all else fails the USA can always be world series winners at baseball.....when the only competing teams, yes you've guessed it come from the USA. :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:16 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:54 am
If all else fails the USA can always be world series winners at baseball.....when the only competing teams, yes you've guessed it come from the USA. :lol: :lol:
Was trying to find an 80s comedy sketch on this which was featured in a courtroom scene. Cant find it though. Hilarious.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:24 pm

To be fair rossi, while rugby and American football are similar, they are not the same in the physicality of the game, in that the way the players can be hit is different. It is funny to hear that kind of take on a soccer forum.

As far as the point to this thread, the US Women's Soccer team has been dominant, but could care less about them at this point. Yet another sports avenue that has to bring politics to the forefront in lieu of the actual game.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:38 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:24 pm
To be fair rossi, while rugby and American football are similar, they are not the same in the physicality of the game, in that the way the players can be hit is different. It is funny to hear that kind of take on a soccer forum.

As far as the point to this thread, the US Women's Soccer team has been dominant, but could care less about them at this point. Yet another sports avenue that has to bring politics to the forefront in lieu of the actual game.
Couldn’t agree more. Many of the sports and sports men/women are just being used as a political platform. I’m not even sure whether any sportswriters / journalists of today are even sports enthusiasts. Seem more concerned about ticking boxes.
I watched some women’s cricket last week and it was a very poor standard, but I was being told it was great by the commentators.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:20 pm

A defeat to Canada for fucks sake, that wasn't supposed to happen. The women went by the wayside to the Great White North at the semi-final stages last night, a semi-final loss that we/ they should have won. Canada have done well, beat Brazil on-route to get where they are but they don't have the prestige and accomplishment that goes with a number of other participants. USA have had a mixed tournament, played OK here and there but some disappointing scores along the way. Guess a result of this nature was always waiting to occur but can't quite stomach losing at such a stage and to opponents in question.

Canada will face off with either Australia (they did put four past the British in an earlier round) or Sweden which gets underway in a few hours. Sweden should win after all they beat the national team 3 - 0 in the group stages but results thus far have shown near anything can come to pass.

But it's far from despair as the US NATIONAL MENS TEAM squad have won the CONACAF Gold cup by beating Mexico in Nevada. Only goal scored late in extra-time by defender Miles Robinson, the celebrations were tangible. Unable to put up a link to sports pages for featured news items.