Town Versus Millwall - The final Friendly

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Town Versus Millwall - The final Friendly

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:03 am

So today sees the final friendly before the big kick off next weekend, I am expecting to see us kick on from the Palace game in terms of performance and also with the starting Eleven hopefully resembling something approaching our chosen team for next week, my line up would look like this

Hladky

KVY
Edmundson
Toto
Penney

Harper
Evans

Burns
Fraser
Chaplin

Pigott

I hope we don't do Eleven changes and bring on the kids second half as for me the experimenting is over, this is like the first big game.
Looking forward to it.

COYB'S

shabba

Re: Town Versus Millwall - The final Friendly

Post by shabba » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:28 am

Exactly as I picked it in the other thread ;)

Hopefully be a good benchmark today, not sure how millwall are doing as not paid attention to them in recent years - always assumed they are a good mid table championship side.

Hopefully we can tighten up today whilst creating a few more chances. Better to be a solid team that can grind results than a high scoring high conceding team.

Roll on 3pm!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:47 am

Plenty of options up front and can see us making changes with the front four throughout the season.

Hope though we can get a settled back six. Defence and holding midfielders. Evans looks a key player so I hope he can stay fit.

Squad is still short of 2-3, but it’s been a great effort so far from recruitment side.

Bart returns. 3 time player of the season for us at championship level, and twice with Millwall.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:07 am

Certainly lots of connotations in attacking roles. I think today against Millwall we will see our most likely starting line up for 7th August. While i still feel there are 2 further additions to be made, i wonder if these will have time to train and fit into the formation fully and hence they will start on the subs bench.

Hladky

KVY
Nsiala
Edmundson
Penney

Harper
Evans

Burns
Pigott
Chaplin

Norwood

I realised (with a fully fit squad) what a wealth of attacking options we have for what seems like the first time in years :D ! Didn't want to leave Fraser out, but felt that Cook will go for his favoured "one up front" formation, with Piggot sitting deeper.

Of course a lot depends on whether he wants to risk Evans (who i feel is a nailed on first game starter) today. If he choses not to, i feel 2 up front will be the option, with Fraser coming into the midfield.

Toto wins the race over Wolfie for me, judging by the fact that he didn't start at Col U, in what was almost a 2nd choice defensive line up.

How nice of having the luxury of genuine options up front. This, as others have said, will spur Norwood on when/if selected. Last season i felt there was nothing threatening on the bench whatsover when playing a lone striker. This season we have potential for goals aplenty

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:19 pm

Not the expected team - lots of absentees. No Fraser, Edmondson and Chaplin in the 18.

Ipswich Town: Hladky, Vincent-Young, Nsiala, Woolfenden, Penney, Burns, Harper, Evans, Dobra, Pigott, Bonne

Subs: Holy, Donacien, Ndaba, Humphreys, Ward, Jackson, Norwood.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:33 pm

Possibly too soon for Edmundson and Chaplin but Fraser possible injury ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:27 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:23 pm
Whats the score?
0 - 0 after 25.
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-t ... ve-8200340

Sounds feisty.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:33 pm

Couldn't get time off Work for this one. Hope we score a few Goals.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:45 pm

1-0 Millwall i understand.
Am working but on a break.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:55 pm

Decent first half and we've done ok, they play the ball around well but we've had our chances too. Hladky made a super stop inside 10 mins, Evans looks real quality and Dobra again stand out performer, causing them problems.

Certainly not being played like a friendly with some hefty tackles and a big melee when Toto reacted to being dragged to the ground, everyone squaring up to each other but great to see Bonne wading in to back up Toto.

Unlucky with the goal as it came when we were well on top and creating openings, Harper slipped and allowed them in on the break, Hladky pulled off a decent save but the rebound fell nicely for them. Not an awful lot in it and reasons to be pleased, one cross field pass from Evans to Dobra was sublime and pinpoint.

I think maybe Norwood on for Bonne after the break is the way I would go, all to play for.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:00 pm

Thanks Mike on TWTD they are saying soft goal and our keeper should have saved it, think I'll believe you 🤔😎😂

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:20 pm

Getting thumped 3-0.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:01 pm

Oh dear. Still work in progress. Lack of goals still a concern.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:12 pm

Yep not great second half and 2 quick goals, second one was a lovely goal to be fair. We didn't get going after the break and found it tough to create much until the final few minutes.

I think I've seen enough, particularly last week to know we will be fine but as has been said patience is the key. I am a bit unsure of Macauley Bonne tbh, jury out atm, all the others have shown good things at one time or another, irrespective of today we have a real keeper at last and no I Don’t agree he should have saved the first, he saved the first strike and the defence weren't backing him up, Evans looks real quality as did Pigott last week, Harper will excel in the coming weeks. Dobra is looking very hungry and again was one of if not the best Town player today. Watch out for the name Ward though , the boy came on and showed some flashes of quality, one ball over the top with the flick of his foot was superb.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:14 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:01 pm
Oh dear. Still work in progress. Lack of goals still a concern.
Exactly.
I heard there were some positives but I personally feel we lack a bit of leadership, ie that experienced CB how can organise the defence. As someone else said we need a solid back 6 and then we only need to score one or two to get results, and we have the potential for goals once the players gel.

We really need to give the team time to gel, let’s hope we can be top 8 or so after ten games and then start to kick on once the team gain experience playing together.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:31 pm

Well according to the ‘fans’ on twtd we are doomed already😀
My fault I suppose I really shouldn’t look on there to preserve my sanity 😂

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:44 pm

If I had my way I would have most of them put down

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:48 pm

Early days and don’t want to be negative but I do hope we’re not going into a new season not knowing where the goals are coming from. Over recent years this has so often been our down fall and apart from Martin Waghorn a few seasons back we’ve not had a decent goalscorer since Daryl Murphy and before that the likes of Alan Lee and Darren Bent.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:21 pm

Sensible post match comments on today’s defeat. We’d be fooling ourselves if we didn’t think improvements will take time. Thanks for comments from folks who watched the game. I look forward to seeing our new team play.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:32 pm

It’s a training session for the players.

It’ll take most of the season for this new team to bed in . But I’m expecting us to improve as the season goes on . But I suspect he’s still going to be brining in some more defenders .

No panic here …..

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:56 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:31 pm
Well according to the ‘fans’ on twtd we are doomed already😀
My fault I suppose I really shouldn’t look on there to preserve my sanity 😂
Yeah, some fans on there are going over the top.

Get the impression they’re sharpening their knives because of the way Cook went about his demolition man routine. Pissed off because some of their favourites from the old-timers to the youngsters weren’t kept on. It had to be done.

Worse case scenario ….. if results go tits up and Cook get sacked by November, then he still did the right thing by getting rid of these players.

It’s just a friendly and it’s early days. Blackpool stormed the league in their last three months whilst we stormed the league the last two years in the first two months, but fizzled out after that. I have faith.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:45 pm

what did we honestly expect from this game, go out an win? This is early days after a full rebuild, they all need time to bed in and this is exactly why we have 'friendlies'.

Ive no doubt a couple more additions and abit if time and we will be motoring, keep the faith.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:07 pm

Agreed , just what were people expecting, we have had a tough pre season schedule with Palace, Fulham and Millwall which will set us in good stead going into the season, I still think our biggest issue is our own fans.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:38 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:07 pm
Agreed , just what were people expecting, we have had a tough pre season schedule with Palace, Fulham and Millwall which will set us in good stead going into the season, I still think our biggest issue is our own fans.
Has been for quite a few seasons now.
Fans are fickle though and if the wins start getting chalked up it will all change.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:39 pm

Read some views earlier 'Its only a friendly', here and TWTD also. So what's the deal then, we just all take it easy, don't even try, put your feet up and say 'f*ck it' to any effort or motivation. If that's the case then why even have these damn games to begin with.

Today was a poor score even if the opposition were hit hard by pandemic issues. I would have thought after all the new players in, new team coach and the takeover issue with it, a score like today could or should have been avoided. Thought earlier should I be worried about the season ahead.

You need to pick up one or two victories during close season if only to improve morale or put you in the right direction. People can argue long and hard about the relevance of these games before real action is underway but bottom line I and some others were a little dismayed to have been beaten by such a comprehensive score line. Had in occurred in South London maybe you could look above it but we were playing with a home "advantage".

Would have been good to hit the ground running when the first real action gets here in a week if only to inspire some extra belief or confidence.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:04 pm

When you build a ship, you have to launch it into the water to find the leaks

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:57 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:04 pm
When you build a ship, you have to launch it into the water to find the leaks
This ⬆ very true!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:18 am

My main concern about the pre-season friendlies is that we are still making stupid mistakes which is costing us goals.
I wasn’t at Colchester but understand that for their first goal it was down to poor marking and the 3rd a complete howler from Holy.
Yesterday the 3rd goal had nothing to do with players getting to know each other but again them being totally switched off to what was happening. I’m sure PC must have been pulling out what hair he has left with that defending.
When the real stuff starts next week hopefully we will cut down on these mistakes but as the past few seasons have shown we certainly seem to have a problem in rectifying them.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:20 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:18 am
My main concern about the pre-season friendlies is that we are still making stupid mistakes which is costing us goals.
I wasn’t at Colchester but understand that for their first goal it was down to poor marking and the 3rd a complete howler from Holy.
Yesterday the 3rd goal had nothing to do with players getting to know each other but again them being totally switched off to what was happening. I’m sure PC must have been pulling out what hair he has left with that defending.
When the real stuff starts next week hopefully we will cut down on these mistakes but as the past few seasons have shown we certainly seem to have a problem in rectifying them.

Would not be surprised if only KVY is a regular starter from that back four. Another CB and LB and Edmundson to perhaps come in.
I don’t how much the difference between friendlies and competitive matches affect the players ie their focus and effort. Wouldn’t expect them to give 100%, but you’d think they’d keep focus.

We’re going to have to work it out in league matches. Other clubs will probably have similar problems in fitting in new players and getting match fitness. It’s probably brought us down to earth a bit which can only be a good thing.