League 1 - Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A Draw, A Loss and Now a Win?

Burton Win
22%
Ipswich Win
50%
Draw
28%

Total votes: 18

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:48 pm

As daft as it sounds what pleases me is that we should have beaten Morecambe, Newport and Burton, had that not been the case I would be worried, yes I am fed up tonite because we lost but I am certainly not worried.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:14 pm

I couldn’t follow the match today could only get the odd updates.
Hmmmm.
Disappointing to only have 1 point from 2 games.
Work in progress I guess.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:29 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:49 pm
I'm satisfied with the start to the season - Just thought I'd throw that out there...
Good man :D 👍…. It is disappointing but not unexpected to any fan that is realistic . I personally am giving Town most of this season to bed in b4 I’d expect too much . We’re starting from scratch - literally . What on earth do people expect 🤷‍♀️?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:02 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:29 pm
What on earth do people expect 🤷‍♀️?
Goals. Not being greedy........, just goals to start with. That'll shut me up.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:06 pm

3 in 2 league games isn't a disaster Marko, its little things, I think I'm right in saying we've hit the woodwork 3 times too, fine margins.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:47 pm

.....as I said a couple of weeks ago...

.......”early days and I don’t want to be too negative but I do hope we’re not going into a new season not knowing where the goals are coming from. Over recent years this has so often been our down fall and apart from Martin Waghorn a few seasons back we’ve not had a decent goalscorer since Daryl Murphy” etc etc

Although I was criticised maybe my observation wasn’t unjustified or is it simply the case that our attacking midfield players are having to get back to cover for a weak central defence ?

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:51 pm

OK so it wasn't great but it's early days injuries have not helped again, Cook was forced to make changes because of them also what's your thoughts on KVY he didn't beat his man once has he lost pace or is it about confidence?, We will have possibly three changes to the back four soon which we need saying that Donacien didn't let us down today also Edwards looks very impressive so the future is bright we just need time, look at Blackpool last season we can do this .COYB !!!.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:29 pm

Early days and think of all good things to come, when the boys click someone is in for a bloody good hiding lol, not far off either.

Patience.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:51 am

Viewed game highlights maybe two hours ago, tried again just now but it were a no-go. Thought both penalty decisions were questionable, didn't seem much in the way of contact. Why give our kick to Fraser, a team he recently joined from and in front of their own support ? Not really logical, would have thought there'd be a number of other names within our team that could have taken on responsibiity.

Didn't realize it at first but Cook went with one lone attacker today ? You can see how and where he gets his share of abuse from, formation wasn't the best, maybe there were a method to his thinking but it came unstuck for the trip there. We got a number of new and existing names to play up front, why not field them together instead of having Pigott carry the load for the most part. Put Norwood down as first scorer for the PL, lo and behold he didn't even feature.

They mentioned on Radio Suffolk much earlier Cook needs to take 3 wins from the next 10 league games. Not to save his as* from expulsion but it came across as something as a minimum requirement. Do not like it when commentators and analysists label the team (us) as 'title favorites', it's far from reality and clearly from an outside perspective. Just about anyone rooting for this club name for long enough will realize and acknowledge there's no way we'll capture first position. I got us down as inside a top six berth by next May, most likely outside the two automatic places and resting in the play-off positions for a chance at extending the season.

$64,000 question being will Cook still be manager by that time. You got to entertain the possibility he could exit between then and now.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:19 am

Dazzz67 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:29 pm
Early days and think of all good things to come, when the boys click someone is in for a bloody good hiding lol, not far off either.

Patience.
I’m with this. It will click at some point and we’ll be a top team.

Likely to have a completely new defence in the next week or two. Get that sorted and let the players get to know each other’s game and it’ll be fine.

Have to say Edwards looks a good signing. Immediate impact and unlucky not to score when he hit the bar. Fine margins.

Not sure what Fraser was doing with the penalty. He scored 9 penalties for MK Dons last season. Stop messing around and just hit the ball well. I hate all these types of stuttering penalties when the player tries to be clever and outwit the GK. You hit the ball well enough in the corner and the GK has no chance.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:46 am

Tale of 2 managers for me.

JFH took over at Burton when they were odds-on for relegation, yet his record there has been really good, and he's averaging getting on for 2 points per game.

PC has been at Ipswich for a few games less, but his points per game average is less than 1.

Thing is, PC has had the luxury that JFK hasn't, in being able to totally rebuild his squad.

But to date, anybody would have to say that JFH has done far better than PC.

Very early days with this new squad, and there are some promising signs that things will improve on the pitch.
But the American paymasters are not going to tolerate relegation form for too long, they've invested too much.

So PC is soon going to have to stop the talking and produce results,

Tick, tock, Mister c*ck

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:58 am

Interesting match report from EADT ….

From this I take the point that Town absorbed Burtons early pressure , and coped with it . But as we got more into the game , and played the way Cook likes his teams to play, eg a high pressing game, our defence time and again were just to slow to react to the counter attacks , notably Woolfie, who the EADT describes as languid. I would say his position is now very much under threat. I can see the two recent CB signings being our first choice. Whilst KVY doesn’t appear to be firing on all cylinders either ( very early days yet I know ), but part of me wonders if Burns will push him for that right back slot , once he’s fit?

In truth it looks like Paul Cook is searching for his best 11 and best combinations within that 11. The old saying is true it takes time. I think a period of bedding in up to Christmas would not be unreasonable.

Fans are stressed , impatient, angry even by Towns form so far. Whilst I confess to being slightly frustrated with it all myself , I can’t help but feel the ridiculous pressures in the game these days of “ instant success” only serve to pile more pressure on a team trying to find its feet. Thank God the next game is away . But we really do need to win that game on Tuesday night and I hope he plays Coulson, and Edmunson…… No pressure eh !!

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... -1-8237692

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:11 am

I have said for god knows how long now that Woolfenden is garbage, people are now starting to see it, even the press, he will lose his place as soon as Edmundson and Burgess are available, he doesn't even come close to Nsiala, languid is being kind.

Rossi, you are correct in that Cook needs to start gleaning results soon and I am certain he will and when we click the mood among some has changed, I have it on very good authority that Cook has been told it's top six at Christmas at the very least or goodbye.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:59 am

saint jude wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:51 am
They mentioned on Radio Suffolk much earlier Cook needs to take 3 wins from the next 10 league games.
:lol: So that’d be 3 wins in 12 games total? :lol:
Are they serious on Radio So’f*ck? It better be more wins than that. Or the 64,000 dollar question is answered ———>> job centre.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:01 am

Bright side. Last 2 seasons started well and look where we ended up😊Happy enough with an understandable slow start. Need the real pro defenders in then we can start the climb

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:18 am

Tell you something else……. When fans are thinking, “glad the next game is away”……. Those fans are the arseholes. Part of Cooks job is getting these players “READY” for 18-22K ITFC fans. The more they play in front of a full house and get used to the sometimes hostile atmosphere (because that IS football) the better. Get them hardened up a bit. Its not a soft play area where everyone thinks everyones elses children are wee angels FFS. Its a football crowd where EVERYONE thinks everyone elses opinion is rank. Start winning games and there will be unity.

You have to wonder that if far away fans like me read the word “unlucky” AGAIN in any of the weekly four match reports read ——>> are ipswich town the unluckiest sports club in the world, not just in football, but in ANY sport?

In Cook we Trust though……., thats all the crowd and the investors can do.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:18 am

Unfortunately my score prediction on this thread was spot on.
Therefore, for the Cheltenham game on Tuesday night I’m going for a 4-0 win for Town! :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:38 pm

Does that mean you expect two new CB’s insitu then Shed ? :D

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:49 pm

just a quick question ref Edmundson, is he just unfit or does he have a injury?

Just hoping to see him. in the team sooner rather than later.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:48 pm

I have seen nothing official regarding his fitness / injury. The club seems to be reticent about the players fitness levels or injury status. Nothing seems to come out of the Club in that way now. Which I suppose is good.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:53 pm

I don't see how players can complete a medical with an injury...

Would be interesting to see if/how clubs are insured against injuries.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:01 pm

Good point Ricco! Maybe the Club’s medical team have advised Ashton/ Cook that the injury a player has is treatable and recoverable from, and that it’s a risk that can be covered.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:52 am

Maybe he's got covid

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:11 pm

Quite right too !!
Town Goal at Burton Awarded to Pigott
Monday, 23rd Aug 2021 11:19

Town’s goal in the recent 2-1 defeat at Burton Albion has been awarded to Blues striker Joe Pigott after a review by the EFL’s Dubious Goal Committee.

The 23rd-minute equaliser was initially recorded as an own goal by Brewers defender Tom O'Connor but it has now been given to Pigott, his first goal for the club.

“It was my goal, the defender flicked it onto me,” the former AFC Wimbledon man told the club website.

“My celebration might have been muted as I wanted to get the ball so we could keep the momentum.”

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:29 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:11 pm
Quite right too !!
Town Goal at Burton Awarded to Pigott
Monday, 23rd Aug 2021 11:19

Town’s goal in the recent 2-1 defeat at Burton Albion has been awarded to Blues striker Joe Pigott after a review by the EFL’s Dubious Goal Committee.

The 23rd-minute equaliser was initially recorded as an own goal by Brewers defender Tom O'Connor but it has now been given to Pigott, his first goal for the club.

“It was my goal, the defender flicked it onto me,” the former AFC Wimbledon man told the club website.

“My celebration might have been muted as I wanted to get the ball so we could keep the momentum.”
I’ve watched the highlights of that goal 3 times more… and every time it’s looks like an own goal. Doesn’t matter, but Pigott must want it really badly. Anyway, off the mark now trying to put pressure on Bonne.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:23 pm

I thought at the time it was Pigott goal, thankfully they agree, not that its important although it could be to JP.