League 1 - Ipswich Town vs MK Dons Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we finally get a win?

Town Win
43%
Dons Win
29%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 21

Ricco

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs MK Dons Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ricco » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:34 pm

I can't deal with this, I think this is a huge huge match. We could have won all the games this season, so many misses and mistakes, get over that flipping line, embarrassing.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:35 pm

Woolfenden what a f**king wanker.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:44 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:35 pm
Easy target, but notice Evans name has cropped up a couple of times where mistakes have been made. According to EADT Tweet

"Evans on his own 35 yards out dallies on the ball and O'Riley nicks it off him. He's in on goal and coolly slides past Fisher... 2-2"

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:47 pm

It's entertaining if nothing else. Realize Milton Keynes are a useful outfit but disappointed to give away a lead twice. Bonne seems a very good acquisition, a player that could be crucial in the months ahead and if we're to really get out this division at long last.

18622 in attendance they said, i dont know what total we could have had with restrictions but all gathered seem to be getting a game and a half out there, real entertainment but frustrating for us particularly when missing at least two very good chances to make it 2 - 0 before they first scored.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:58 pm

saint jude wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:47 pm
It's entertaining if nothing else. Realize Milton Keynes are a useful outfit but disappointed to give away a lead twice. Bonne seems a very good acquisition, a player that could be crucial in the months ahead and if we're to really get out this division at long last.

18622 in attendance they said, i dont know what total we could have had with restrictions but all gathered seem to be getting a game and a half out there, real entertainment but frustrating for us particularly when missing at least two very good chances to make it 2 - 0 before they first scored.
3000 less Town fans this week compared to the last home game the natives are not happy.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:00 pm

f**king hell we almost lost it there right at the end, got a point but could so easily have been beaten.

Listened to the majority of it, most of our players earned a salary. A few individual mistakes but the opposition did the same also.

No wins for us as yet but at least they tried. People will look at the score particularly neutrals and say "they haven't won again, it's no good" but viewing the bigger picture there were certainly elements of hope to take from today. I hope Cook or players don't get berated by some areas for not winning, we've been poor recently granted but this event alone DID inspire. Just a pity we couldn't hold on to a lead but play like we did for the season ahead, there will be a real opportunity to achieve something.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:01 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:58 pm
saint jude wrote:

3000 less Town fans this week compared to the last home game the natives are not happy.
Give it a rest for goodness sake. The last thing ITFC needs is comments like that.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:05 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:01 pm
Tinytown wrote:
saint jude wrote:

Give it a rest for goodness sake. The last thing ITFC needs is comments like that.
Totally agree with bb

Cut out the stupid mistakes at the back, and even then we missed a glorious chance to stretch our lead..

Last season we would of loved games like this one but right now 3 pts are more important I believe than how good we look playing

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:08 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Tinytown wrote:
saint jude wrote:

Indeed, especially the inflated difference in attendances, was nearer 2k (2,375 to be precise). With figures massaged to suit your argument, i was wondering if you are a politician by any chance Tinytown? :wink: :lol:

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:12 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:08 pm
barmy billy wrote:
Tinytown wrote:

Indeed, especially the inflated difference in attendances, was nearer 2k (2,375 to be precise). With figures massaged to suit your argument, i was wondering if you are a politician by any chance Tinytown? :wink: :lol:
Sorry there were 500 away fans today so that takes you nearer the 3000. Don't know why that needs any "give it a rest" comments to be honest.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:20 pm

We're creating chances, and scoring goals. MK Dons are no pushovers...both teams could have won today. Why does Woolfy always get a start? Cook must rate him which really baffles me.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:24 pm

Certain contributors I just ignore.

The game panned out pretty much as I expected. Our defence is a huge problem and needs to sorted. I believe it will be, though it has to be soon. When it is, we will be a real force to be reckoned with.

We are a lot better than the results to date suggest. Just sort out the defence.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:26 pm

Thats it Tinywhatever look at the negatives, I do not have a pop at anyone but willing to make an exception in your case. You do need to give it a rest or are you hurting from that 5 nil drubbing today?

Think things are slowly improving tbh, yes 3 points would of been good but at least we did not throw in towel and lose to a decent team, a point gained.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:27 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:12 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
barmy billy wrote:

Sorry there were 500 away fans today so that takes you nearer the 3000. Don't know why that needs any "give it a rest" comments to be honest.
Fair point and i take that. Except Morecambe brought 356 fans with them, so only just breaking the 2.5k barrier. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:37 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:27 pm
Tinytown wrote:
AzzurroMark wrote:

Fair point and i take that. Except Morecambe brought 356 fans with them, so only just breaking the 2.5k barrier. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Agreed 👍

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:41 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:44 pm
Tinytown wrote:
Easy target, but notice Evans name has cropped up a couple of times where mistakes have been made. According to EADT Tweet

"Evans on his own 35 yards out dallies on the ball and O'Riley nicks it off him. He's in on goal and coolly slides past Fisher... 2-2"
Sky sports said Woilfie gave it away if it was Evans then he is the wanker :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:46 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:41 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Tinytown wrote:

Sky sports said Woilfie gave it away if it was Evans then he is the wanker :lol:
:lol: :lol:

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:46 pm

Tinytown wrote:
AzzurroMark wrote:
barmy billy wrote:

It was your comment about the natives getting restless that I thought uncalled for & slightly ridiculous.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:10 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:46 pm
Tinytown wrote:
AzzurroMark wrote:

It was your comment about the natives getting restless that I thought uncalled for & slightly ridiculous.
Why?

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:17 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:10 pm
Why?
Because you directly linked a drop in attendance to "natives not being happy" without any basis whatsoever. Pretty mad as there's many more compelling reasons for a potential drop.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:22 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:17 pm
Tinytown wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:10 pm
Why?
Because you directly linked a drop in attendance to "natives not being happy" without any basis whatsoever. Pretty mad as there's many more compelling reasons for a potential drop.
Positive lateral flow tests would be my bet.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:29 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:26 pm
Thats it Tinywhatever look at the negatives, I do not have a pop at anyone but willing to make an exception in your case. You do need to give it a rest or are you hurting from that 5 nil drubbing today?

Think things are slowly improving tbh, yes 3 points would of been good but at least we did not throw in towel and lose to a decent team, a poit gained.
things were never going to turn in a flash, 18k attendance is remarkable in Div 1, time,thats all it needs

i think this match was closer to home for Rodney.or is it Trigger. Dazza,
FARSLEY CELTIC 2 v CHESTER. 2
Last edited by goldandblack on Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:36 pm

We were good first half. We were poor second half - the story of the past 15 seasons! However... this was a very entertaining watch and we are sooooooooooooooooo much more attractive than last season. I know we have to get the results and they will come. Lets not panic. Every season you get a few teams surge ahead in the first few weeks but they rarely keep it going.

Hladky - made some good saves and looked better today for me. KVY needs to defend better. Coulson looked OK but a bit lightweight. On todays showing, its Penny first choice for me. Harper oozes class on the ball but needs to be a but stronger in the tackle. However, in the past few seasons, that position was Skuse - I know who I would rather watch! Evans is a bit too sideways and backwards for me. Poor mistake for the second goal. Bonne is growing on me week by week. Edwards is a cut above but needs to ball more. Fraser and Wes were OK without being outstanding for me. Woolfy was OK today although he still has a mistake in him. Burgess is good value and a real asset.

So - its still a work in progress and I have no doubt it will get there. Its already a far better watch than the past few seasons. The idiots who boo'ed and who are in meltdown on social media need to butt out - especially as 99% of them never went to the game. I am reasonable happy with our progress although we must a. Stop giving away stupid possession/goals b. Get the defence working together c. Stop allowing teams to come so far onto us d. STOP PASSING BACKWARDS!!!!!! E. For me - we need to try 442 as the game was crying out for Piggott to hold it up for me.

Keep the faith everyone - we will be there or thereabouts come May...👍 COYB's!!

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:36 pm

Looking at the stats it seems they had a lot of attempts, and we had a good number too - so looked an exciting game. Nice to read the comments here that we were fairly good again - just a shame we are still making mistakes.

I think there is a lot of pressure now for Edmundson to come in and be good from the off.

Really hope we can get a win next week and start to cut these mistakes down.

Very pleased for Bonne, he is on the way to becoming a fan favourite - I loved his post Match comment where he said if he didn’t have a job then he’d be there sitting in the stands watching today. It’ll be good for him and Piggott to battle it out for the striker spot, and maybe they’ll still play together against the teams we need to be more direct against.

Thanks for all the comments - nice to get more info on the game today.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:43 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:36 pm
We were good first half. We were poor second half - the story of the past 15 seasons! However... this was a very entertaining watch and we are sooooooooooooooooo much more attractive than last season. I know we have to get the results and they will come. Lets not panic. Every season you get a few teams surge ahead in the first few weeks but they rarely keep it going.

Hladky - made some good saves and looked better today for me. KVY needs to defend better. Coulson looked OK but a bit lightweight. On todays showing, its Penny first choice for me. Harper oozes class on the ball but needs to be a but stronger in the tackle. However, in the past few seasons, that position was Skuse - I know who I would rather watch! Evans is a bit too sideways and backwards for me. Poor mistake for the second goal. Bonne is growing on me week by week. Edwards is a cut above but needs to ball more. Fraser and Wes were OK without being outstanding for me. Woolfy was OK today although he still has a mistake in him. Burgess is good value and a real asset.

So - its still a work in progress and I have no doubt it will get there. Its already a far better watch than the past few seasons. The idiots who boo'ed and who are in meltdown on social media need to butt out - especially as 99% of them never went to the game. I am reasonable happy with our progress although we must a. Stop giving away stupid possession/goals b. Get the defence working together c. Stop allowing teams to come so far onto us d. STOP PASSING BACKWARDS!!!!!! E. For me - we need to try 442 as the game was crying out for Piggott to hold it up for me.

Cheers for this, Wilf 👍

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:58 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:36 pm

The teams surging ahead at the moment are mainly the teams i expected to ??
I agree though on the rest. November/December will be a better point to take stock of ITFC under Cook

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:49 pm

The signs are definitely there that we will start to get results,, didn't see the game but hearing reports etc suggests there's plenty to be positive about, we desperately need to get Edmundson fit and in the team, hopefully against Wimbledon next Saturday.

If its true there was booing again then let's hope these are the tossers who gradually drop away, we are better off without these imbeciles in any case, a bit like the keyboard twats who take to social media with their negativity and ignorant comments.

Thanks for the reports etc from those who were there.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:38 pm

A shame really
2 well taken goals and some good chances, we created more than most games last season.
2 silly mistakes cost us.
The defence worries me but hopefully Mr Cook will sort it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:11 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tinytown wrote:

I’m not convinced by Evans ( or our new GK) if I’m being honest with you. I lost count of the number of times Evans lost possession today, and our goalie just doesn’t fill me with confidence for done reason … I don’t know why though because he wasn’t really asked to do much today. We absolutely gifted them both their goals . Woolfie yet again makes a mistake that costs us a goal ; thus despite doing little else wrong the whole game. He always seems to c*ck it up, usually at the worst possible time for some reason. He reminds me so much of Titus Bramble . A potential talent but has a costly mistake in him every single game !

Our first goal was IMO world class , from KVY back to his best , delivering a near 40 yard, inch perfect pass for Bonne to win the challenge before lashing it in the top far corner : PR bloody erupts !! “ One of our own”

Our midfield, for me, needs some more physicality to compliment the budding partnership of Fraser: Harper, who both oooze class, but they need some help and for me, Evans isn’t cutting it yet.

There is SO much to admire about our new team, and once we’ve settled omg what a bloody side we will have here!! During the first 5 mins of that second half we should have scored 3 more goals and put the game to bed . But we didn’t . We just need to sort out these silly individual errors , because they have cost us to date 7 points . But early days , and all I want is for people to remain patient .

The twats that booed can f*ck off and join the other 3k snowflakes who decided not to attend PR today ( having attended the first home game) . Fickle fuckwits, the lot of them .

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:47 pm

:D The effort and formation are there, it just wants Edmundson to get back to full fitness which is pretty close now by Cookies report and we should see a tighter defence, but I'm still sure PC will bring in another CB as a backup for any injuries.

I'm more than happy with these far far better performances than the Lambert era, we must drop Wolfenden to the bench, just to see how Burgess and Edmundson get on together, cut out these silly defensive mistakes and then BOOM someone's in for A HELL OF A HIDING, and its not too far off in my estimation. COYB