League 1 - Ipswich Town vs MK Dons Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we finally get a win?

Town Win
43%
Dons Win
29%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 21

arana peligrosa

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs MK Dons Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:03 am

Having now viewed game highlights and listened to commentary earlier I think it's fair to say that was arguably our best performance of the season so far. Only four games in but there was a certain desire today and willingness to perform that wasn't really evident in those other fixtures.

Bonne goal people are raving about, OK it were good but were kind of expecting something else when first settling down to view. Vaclav made an error for their free-kick ? Must have got hands to it, but squirmed through the grasp and in. Good poachers goal for the Bonne second, these are the kind of players that win games and see you through.

Probably would have won today if not for one or two critical errors and missed chances when leading. Cook may be feeling enthusiastic about the point but remember this is a results business and all very well playing fine and getting something from it, but the longer it goes without a victory the more pressure will come his way.

Say again while it is only early in a season (that) when you're not winning and only getting 0 or 1 point/s at a time the margin between where we're at the leading pack can and will soon become something substantial. Can't always comprehend in that we've made some 16 or 17 changes to playing personnel yet haven't won a game and problems from last season seem to persist.

All said and done you look to the manager, you can't really fault him for today but he picks the team, organizes and oversees training routines etc. We played well, a draw was probably about right in the end but without victories and no wins forthcoming, the longer it goes on, all heat will be on one individual alone. Imagine if they had won it right at the end through that Norwich loan player they have that struck the frame of goal, that would have made interesting reading for sure.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:56 am

From a neutrals point of view - a great game of football. Really entertaining.

From our POV - frustrating. Burns hits the post and we’d be 2 up. Game over, possibly.

Wolfie didn’t give the ball away for the first - he just possibly was wrong-footed and didn’t cut out the ball and then gave the foul away in a dangerous area. Twine’s brilliant from distance, but thought Hladky could have done better.

Evans really messed up. Getting caught in front of his defence for their second.

Really impressed with Bonne. Took his goals well and worked really hard for the team. Edwards is just class. Forget Celina - this boy is better.

It’s all very well saying improve the defence, but we play kamikaze football. So many times we lose possession and the opposition just bypass our midfield so easily. Have to tighten things up. Just wonder if we’re trying so hard for a win that we leave ourselves far too open, The individual errors we can work out, but we need to tighten things up and manage games better.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:04 am

Agree with hallam regarding Hladky so far I haven't been convinced by him.
As for promotion sorry but if we continue to make basic mistakes then it is just not going to happen. People keep saying it will come good but it won't if we keep conceding 2 goals a game. Think PC has a lot to sort out still if we are going to become serious contenders for promotion.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:53 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:04 am
As for promotion sorry but if we continue to make basic mistakes then it is just not going to happen. People keep saying it will come good but it won't if we keep conceding 2 goals a game. Think PC has a lot to sort out still if we are going to become serious contenders for promotion.
He’s got a week to sort things out on the training pitch. If we were to bring in one more player I’d want it to be a defensive midfielder with a bit of bite. Maybe a captain type. Don’t think Carroll is that type. Looks a bit lightweight. I think Evans is a good player, but I’m not sure if he’s captain material.
Much as I like the style of football and the energy, we look really vulnerable and if a move breaks down, teams will cut right though us. Just need to ease it back in at times.
I think this break comes at a good time.
If we’d have got decent results before, we’d not be too unhappy with this draw. MK are a decent side.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:58 am

More for the further away fans and maybe fans that are busy like me. Save time. Put them in the same place for quickness. 👍

HIGHLIGHTS

https://youtu.be/JOfUGAnQdC8

MacBONNE

https://youtu.be/pB6QCrSvJ3Y

COOKIE

https://youtu.be/yeOZZ8PpGXQ

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:05 am

You cant ever blame Paul Cook for not looking at the opposition and “studying” them…….
Quote: “Theyre playing two false 10’s behind a 9”
:lol: Thats concentration for you.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:15 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:53 am
Shed on tour wrote:
He’s got a week to sort things out on the training pitch. If we were to bring in one more player I’d want it to be a defensive midfielder with a bit of bite. Maybe a captain type. Don’t think Carroll is that type. Looks a bit lightweight. I think Evans is a good player, but I’m not sure if he’s captain material.
Much as I like the style of football and the energy, we look really vulnerable and if a move breaks down, teams will cut right though us. Just need to ease it back in at times.
If we’d have got decent results before, we’d not be too unhappy with this draw. MK are a decent side.
The space that we leave in central midfield leaves us very vulnerable at times to the counter attack and our full backs often look exposed in behind.
As you say we need to ease it back at times. Certainly need a win next week to get us going.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:31 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Keep playing Woolfenden and that's exactly what can happen, yes Evans made a mistake, that prat makes at least One EVERY game.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:59 am

I’m really struggling to get into this season not helped by being on holiday. I’ve just watched the highlights courtesy of Marko’s link and I must say our movement looks good and our finishing impressive. Such a shame we gifted them their second and failed to take other decent chances. I know highlights can be misleading but from what I’ve seen this is a step change to what we’ve witnessed recently. Getting a win becomes more important after every game without one, but when it comes I think it may well be the start of a decent run.

My only disappointment is our fan base once respected as being amongst the best in English football, from what I read we must now rate amongst the poorest at least when it comes to playing at home. If it doesn’t change this could prove really costly to team confidence.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:18 pm

To those who are already criticising Cook & calling for his head, I say this:-

How many new players have joined ITFC this summer?

Has PC had his full complement of players available to him yet?

How long has PC had to prepare & coach a completely new team.

Are you sure he really deserves you criticism rather than your support?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:03 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:18 pm
To those who are already criticising Cook & calling for his head, I say this:-

How many new players have joined ITFC this summer?

Has PC had his full complement of players available to him yet?

How long has PC had to prepare & coach a completely new team.

Are you sure he really deserves you criticism rather than your support?
To be fair I can't say I've seen many if any on this forum calling for Paul Cook's head yet.
Yes some might be having doubts about if he is the person to turn things around, some might be questioning his record since being here which I believe is 4 wins out of 21. The counterargument to this might be that last season he had a load of players who were just really satisfied in carrying on as we were and this season we have got to wait until the team gel.
However, the longer the current run continues not only more questions will be asked about the manager by the fans but more importantly for PC by the owners.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:42 pm

Stuart Watson was saying that from comments he’s receiving, there’s a lot more moaning about the moaners rather than moaners.That’s about the fans reaction to Cook and not a sexual thing.

So think there’s a lot more support or at optimism towards Cook…. for the moment.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:03 pm

Yes, said that for years about this forum in particular. People who don't really contribute and when they do, its fk all about the team, its to moan about the “concerned” fans. Its the moaners about the moaners who drive the fans away. Fans with a knowledge scared to post because manager arse lickers get all f**king hyped up. A bit like me right now. Cursing on a f**king Sunday. Its not right.

Edit: Dundee bstds.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:08 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:15 am
tangfastic wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:53 am
Shed on tour wrote:
The space that we leave in central midfield leaves us very vulnerable at times to the counter attack and our full backs often look exposed in behind.
As you say we need to ease it back at times. Certainly need a win next week to get us going.
I wonder if Cook will change the formation for the next game to include Tom Carroll as the anchor / defensive midfielder just in from of the back four? Also, I can easily see Edmundson coming in at CB ahead of Woolfie too, if he’s fit now. I’ll be honest here, 8mdont think Cook has ever regarded Woolfie as 1st Choice CB

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:09 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:42 pm
Stuart Watson was saying that from comments he’s receiving, there’s a lot more moaning about the moaners rather than moaners.That’s about the fans reaction to Cook and not a sexual thing.

So think there’s a lot more support or at optimism towards Cook…. for the moment.
I hope you’re right tang.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:36 pm

This one is for moaners. :lol:

https://youtu.be/xDFZflAfhy0

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:57 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:03 pm
Yes, said that for years about this forum in particular. People who don't really contribute and when they do, its fk all about the team, its to moan about the “concerned” fans. Its the moaners about the moaners who drive the fans away. Fans with a knowledge scared to post because manager arse lickers get all f**king hyped up. A bit like me right now. Cursing on a f**king Sunday. Its not right.

Edit: Dundee bstds.
I'm sorry you interpreted my post that way, Marko.

I don't agree with your comments at all either. Moaners, not just on here but on Radio Suffolk deserve all the criticism they get as far as I am concerned.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:20 pm

You're not agreeing with reality, Barmy? That is a strange one. Certainly not talking about you at all........, but if you look over the threads, over the years, (Which I never used to do prior to Frosty asking me to be a mod......, because I couldn't give a sh!t if I'm honest).......you'll see people obsessed with the fans, people who don't really say much about the team. It happens. It happens on all sports sites, AFL, NFL, SPL etc etc. It is a very weird phenomenomenomeom......., or phenomenon for short.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:33 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:25 am
I wonder who the mystery player who will miss out through illness is? I am hoping it is one of the fringe players (Jackson with any luck)
PC quoted (EADT) this on Friday morning "We’ve now lost a lad to sickness now, for two days, who won’t start tomorrow"

It seems Jackson must've been the mystery player suffering illness. Indeed the illness has kept him out for double that time, as he didn't feature for the U23 game today! Of course with wishful thinking maybe he is actually in advanced contract negotiations somewhere? Oh if only! :lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:52 pm

COVID?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:07 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:52 pm
COVID?
Will be his second time then, though possible.